Do you think Demos do Games Justice?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeyondDestiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BeyondDestiny
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hi guys i was just wondering do you think that Demos do the actual game justice? in my opinion i think not, alot of demos i've played did the game poor justice

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

I think they do for the most part. As long as they add, in the demo, common elements that make up core of the game it can be a well balanced taste of what to expect from the game. The only game that I've bought (after playing the demo) that didn't seem to do it justice for me would have to be Monster Hunter United on the PSP.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I think demos do enough to give you a taste of whats to come, their purpose is to see if the player will buy the full product after trying it out. If I didn't like the demo of x game, I'm not gonna buy it, if I loved it, then I will definetly buy it.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. There are great games that have had a bad demo.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Depends on the game and the demo. I know Just Cause 2 will be great but that demo was kinda bad.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
I never play demos, most demos contain spoilers to some extent so I prefer to avoid them
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
I'd say more often than not they do not. God of War 3's E3 demo was pretty good to get your feet wet a bit but for the most part when you have a long, enticing game, the demo doesn't really provide you with enough insight into the game. For instance, Heavy Rain's demo was kind of dull.
BeyondDestiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BeyondDestiny
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i agree with most of you alls comments especially about the just cause 2 and god of war 3 demos

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
@FallOfAthens - Great Sig Man :D Some demos do a game justice while others dont do enough Valkyria Chronicles for example the game is 10x better then the demo. Then theres demos that can put you off buying a game -- Dark Void.
hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

After playing the demo of Just Cause 2, it is now a day 1 buy. Demos tell you whether or not your interested, and to what extent.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I definitely feel that you can't fully judge a game by its demo as there have been some that I didn't like but got the game anyway and wound up loving it. Half-Life 2 was a demo I didn't like but I bought it anyway and it wound up being one of my fave games, and Bayonetta's another one where the demo doesn't really compare in quality to what's in the rest of the game. Also there've been times when I loved a demo but didn't like the rest of the game (like Braid). Then of course there are times where the demo is right on in terms of what you are going to get from the rest of the game. So it's tough to tell sometimes.

Usually if I don't like a demo but everybody else says good things about the game, I'll give it another chance. If I don't like a demo and most people say bad things about the game (like Too Human), I'll stop paying attention to that game. If I do like a demo, I usually wind up getting the game regardless :)

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Well it's up to the devs to make a compelling demo (assuming the game is good). I don't get why people aren't liking the Just Cause demo though, it was a blast! Jumping off cliffs and parachuting down, car surfing, grappling from car to car, tying people together (or whatever you want together), and so on and so on.

If you haven't been following the game, I wonder if you realize what all is possible, because the demo doesn't really spell everything out for you.

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

@FallOfAthens - Great Sig Man :D Some demos do a game justice while others dont do enough Valkyria Chronicles for example the game is 10x better then the demo. Then theres demos that can put you off buying a game -- Dark Void.-Hoax-

Thanks, Hazelnutman did a really good job with it.

I have to agree after playing certain demos they will make you not want to buy the game. Dark Void was also one of 'em for me. Still might get it though when it drops to 20 bucks-- which I have a feeling won't be to long from now seeing as it's 40 bucks already. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Some do, but most do not. Just Cause 2's demo clearly lets you know what the game is about. So did God Of War 3's. Supreme Commander 2's did not at all indicate what the real game is like.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Well it's up to the devs to make a compelling demo (assuming the game is good). I don't get why people aren't liking the Just Cause demo though, it was a blast! Jumping off cliffs and parachuting down, car surfing, grappling from car to car, tying people together (or whatever you want together), and so on and so on.

If you haven't been following the game, I wonder if you realize what all is possible, because the demo doesn't really spell everything out for you.

amsfm6
Yea, I don't understand that. This game is obviously not going to have a compelling story, but the publisher gave you a re-playable 30 minute demo to see what the game was all about, blowing stuff up. I could just play the demo repeatedly and enjoy it well enough.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad. I think the Heavy Rain demo did a great job of showing people how the gameplay was going to be and what to expect. I thought VC had a terrible demo though. I guess it depends on the game.
arikkot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arikkot
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

Some do, but most do not. Just Cause 2's demo clearly lets you know what the game is about. So did God Of War 3's. Supreme Commander 2's did not at all indicate what the real game is like.guynamedbilly

I've been hearing that the graphics in God of War 3 are going to be significantly better than in the demo.

grizzlybear1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 grizzlybear1
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Yeh most of the time only one i found to be a bad representation of the game would be Burnout Paradise.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Some do, some don't, it's as simple as that really.
naaros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 naaros
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

Some do, some don't, it's as simple as that really.Flame_Blade88

This. While I enjoyed the God of War 3 demo, I really don't think that is an accurate representation of the epicness that the game holds. But it's kinda good that they don't spoil a really good boss fight in the demo.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Demos use to be a lot longer I think. I use to subscribe to Playstation magazine back in the PS1 and PS2 days, and get demo discs filled with replayable demos and lots of cool content. The demos on PSN are pretty short..

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

As aforementioned I believe it relies more on the game and the specific demo to make a fair judgement on ALL demos.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, they do give you an idea, but it really depends on how good they made their choose. Sonic Unleashed was a must-have for me after the demo and disappointed me and Dante's Infernos demo lead me to almost not buying it while it turned out to be one of my fav. games this gen :S

im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts

Demos are good but sometimes I don't think they do the games justice. I played the demo for Uncharted 1 and hated it. I bought the game after reading reviews and loved it. I also played the demo for Resistance 1 and loved it but hated the game. So I guess it depends...

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

Dante's Infernos demo lead me to almost not buying it while it turned out to be one of my fav. games this gen :SArchoNils2

Really? The DI demo actually sold me on the game. I wasn't sure before playing the demo but as soon as I finished I preordered it and the full game was even better.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I usually run into the opposite. The demo is so short and so custom put together that it actually gives me a false sense of the quality and excitement of a game. You can make almost anything seem fun and interesting if it only last five to ten minutes.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
I usually run into the opposite. The demo is so short and so custom put together that it actually gives me a false sense of the quality and excitement of a game. You can make almost anything seem fun and interesting if it only last five to ten minutes.Senor_Kami
That's usually true if the 5-10 minutes of the game turns out to be pretty much the ONLY thing you do in the whole game.