BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I wish PSN had more PS2 classics but they don't and they tend to run pretty expensive.

Today, I just bought a used slim playstation 2 (scph-90001 which was their latest version without power brick cord, new slim design, no homebrew) with some stinky games for $49 with free shipping. Nothing really "wrong" with my very old fat but it plays a little loud, it's very large and I have to tap on the system once in while while starting a game. Even though I sold a majority of my old ps2 games, I still have plenty great ps2 games that I kept. I just had the urge to revisit some of my old ps2 games like Burnout 3: Takedown, SSX3, Def Jam: Fight for NY, etc. so why not get the really cool looking, compact slim ps2? After watching a couple "top 100 ps2 games" videos on youtube, I think I may even go purchase a few old ps2 games on ebay that I really enjoyed in the past like NBA Street Vol 2 and Onimusha 2 (sold it long time ago) or never even tried but it looks great on youtube. I got my component cables all ready to go.

Do you still play playstation 2 in 2014? What games? Better yet.... Do you buy ps2 games in 2014?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't have a PS2 anymore but I still have the first model PS3 that's backward compatible. When I am in the PS2 mood I like playing:

Tekken Tag

TimeSplitters 1-3

MGS3

NFL2K

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Still have my PS2 fat, I added a 80 GB Hdd not long ago and now I can play a lot of games that, in many cases, weren't even accesible for me in disc, I just download the ISO in my PC and transfer it to the PS2 Hdd, no longer I have to worry about damaging the lenses.

Christiaan1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#4 Christiaan1996
Member since 2014 • 98 Posts

I have two PS2 slimline consoles, one from 2006 and then the P-Chassis model which actually works a bit better at reading discs, no issues with first one at all though, it's 7 years old and still going strong, I have a game library of about 150 PS2 games at the moment...still buying some ps2 games if I have some money to burn if I'm not in the mood for my PS3 or 360...PS2 is the best console ever produced by any gaming company...SONY RULES! Best games on the ps2 for me are: Just Cause 1, Smackdown Shut Your Mouth, GTA San Andreas, God of War 1, God of War 2, Gran Turismo 4, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Tekken 5, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, any Marvel game that involves Spiderman, Jak trilogy, Killzone, Smackdown Here Comes The Pain, Smackdown vs Raw 2007, Deus Ex, 007 From Russia With Love, Turok Evolution, Monster Jam games etc...oh yes and The Sims...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I gave my ps2 to my nephew.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yes, my fave, still play now and then.. and I have lots of PS2 games for it.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Not really. My PS2 has been in the closet for quite awhile now, probably a couple of years. While I still pull out some of the old consoles to play (NES, SNES, Gamecube, Colecovision) I really haven't missed playing my PS2 in years.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes I still play My Playstation 2 in 2014. I have not sold my games or consoles. So even in the PS4, Xbox one era. PS2 still gets some use.

The classics never die.

Avatar image for Simulator_Shock
Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10  Edited By Simulator_Shock
Member since 2006 • 1697 Posts

I would if I still had one. I had the original fat model PS2 break on me way back in '06 and I replaced it with the slim model until that crapped out on me a few years ago...

I still have all my PS2 games in my closet tho, but most of the PS2 stuff I miss playing has already been "upgraded" on PS3 with the HD collections like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Devil May Cry, RE4+Code Veronica, Kingdom Hearts, Jak and Daxter etc...

I still really miss playing THUG and MK Deception tho...

holonic-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 holonic-
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

I still have my PS2 slim and I use it for playing original PS games like Ape Escape, Beast Wars, Gundam Battle Assault 1,2, ect. I barley play any PS2 games that I own now.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Actually using the PS2 this weekend replaying Final Fantasy 7 and Second Sight.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Still have my PS2 White Slim hooked up to older TV in another room. Will never go away, best console of all time. I prefer to play old games on their original hardware unless improvements are substantial in HD re-releases.

I saw a brand new PS2 at Target months ago for $90 or something on clearance. Wish I had picked it up but felt it could go down potentially in later months but haven't seen it since. I hoped Sony would add PS2 playback on their TVs, I know they had TVs that played PS2 games in JP a few years ago.

But like I said, I'm hoping to score a decent price on a new, in box PS2 soon so I can leave it in box until a decade from now when my current slim craps out.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#15 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I still have Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy X and XII, the Jak & Daxter trilogy, and Metal Gear Solid 2 for my PS2

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BH14

I got my recently purchased slim ps2 with component cables and I have to say that I am still impressed with the graphics. I also purchased Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast on ebay because I remember back in the old days when Outrun was fun in the arcades. Nostalgia! I am actually surprised the graphics looked so great. I think Outrun looked so good because it is a ps2 game with HD support at 480p and 16:9 widescreen. I have Need for Speed: Most Wanted (old version... Not 480p) downloaded on my PS3 and it doesn't look as sharp and nice as Outrun 2006 (480p) on my PS2. Sure Outrun 2006 can't compete with DriveClub graphics but it is still very good. You can get Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast for $4 from GameStop. I paid more on ebay but I got excellent condition case, disc and booklet. I would rather pay for some dirt cheap PS2 game with far more content than pay for a digital PSN that was made half ***ed but plays in HD. Bright, crisper colors but still don't have all the detail and fun factor of a good PS2 game. I already made a list of PS2 games that I never tried but will be purchasing soon. If you questioning whether you could still enjoy PS2 games in the age of the PS4 generation, don't. Here are a few tips to get the best picture quality with your PS2 on a HDTV.

1. If you don't have a CRTV, use component cables. It makes a big difference.

2. Lower your sharpness to 0-10. My tv was set at 50 so lowered it to 0 and it helps.

3. Turn off edge enhancement if your tv has that.

4. Take a look at the long list of 480p games. The 480p games look much better but even the other ones still look nice. Here is a list.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

yeah, just played rainbow six 3 a few hours ago.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts

Yep, I've got one again a while ago, actually. Been playing Armored Core and 007 Agent Under Fire on it recently.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

no. but I play the games on my computer with 4x the resolution

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I have been play Final Fantasy X and X-2 as well as the Sly Cooper Trilogy on PS3. A lot of PS2 games still hold up well today.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BH14

I am playing Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. I bought Grid Autosport a couple weeks ago and I even haven't played a lot of Need for Speed PS3 games on the PS3 and yet I am currently playing Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. I am also playing Hot Shots Tennis. I got it new for only $4 with free shipping on ebay. I am a big fan of Hot Shots Golf on my ps3 and I never knew there was a tennis version. When I found out they have had a tennis version, I had to get it and it is really good.

I also got Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (much cheaper than PS3 $9.99 version) and it should be coming soon.

Update: I just bought Logitech Action wireless ps2 controller on ebay for $19.45. I already have a ps2 controller with the extension cable and the 14 feet of cable didn't bother me too much. However, it would be nice to go wireless especially since everyone is raving about how great the logitech action wireless ps2 controller is. Hopefully I will like it and get use to the different directional pad. I am just a huge fan of the original dual shock 2/3 controller though.

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

Every now and then it gets broken out to play some Guitar Hero when we have friends over. Aside from that I will break it out to play some Shadows of Collosus

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@BH14: I bought a brand new PS2 last year and never opened it because some of the games that I wanted were over priced. I would like to play it though if I could find some good games for a decent price.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I use my ps3 which is backward compatible, the same way I use my Wii for Gamecube games.

And yeah, I still very much play ps2 games, particularly FFX, FFXII, KH and KHII, Ratchet & Clank and, the king of all videogames, SSX Tricky!

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#25 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I still use it now and then for playing games like Klonoa 2, Final Fantasy XII and plus beaten Medal of Honor Frontline a few weeks back

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

yeah, for tekken

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BH14

@phoenix5352 said:

yeah, for tekken

Tekken 5 is my favorite game ever. I put so many hours into that game. I do like the fighting games for the ps3 but they are mostly 2-d fighters nowadays and I actually prefer 3-d fighting games. I thought the PS2 was easily the best for fighting games...... Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore and Def Jam: Fight For NY.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I still play Tony hawks pro skater 3. The Tony hawks series is one of my favorite of all time. I have underground one and 2 but won't play 2 until I finish 1. These games have aged very well. I play pes 6 from time to time. Along with nfs underground. Like Tony hawks underground won't play 2 until I finish 1.

Apart from that I don't really play much. I have gta 3/San andreas and vice city but they have aged terribly. Really bad game mechanics. I have a lot more games that I don't play at all and am not sure what they are.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#29 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I still play some of the RPGs. It seems like Dark Cloud just gets better with age!

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Yes. I have 2 fat PS2's. I play it sometimes. Last time I used it to play Gran Turismo 2. Glad I still have my PS1 memory cards.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I have one in my possession but have really no reason to play it, given my busy schedule and lack of interest.

chillnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chillnow
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

yeah,i bought it(90000)in 2012~ i love God hand produced by clover

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

yes and no. I do play Ps2 but it's not really the one I had for so many years, this one isn't plugged in.

But a few months ago I imported a US PS2 (I'm from Switzerland EU) together with many games I missed here in the EU (like Suikoden 3) and play them from time to time. My backlog became extremly huge with all those games (would you have thought that there are 20+ JRPGs that made it to the US but never to the EU?)

yaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#34 yaba
Member since 2003 • 781 Posts

Yes I do. In fact I am 3/4 of the way through replaying the Legacy of Kain games.

Kid_Black_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Kid_Black_Star
Member since 2009 • 506 Posts

Ape Escape 2 was a thing on the PlayStation 2, so I guess you know my answer to the topic question.