Do video games cause voilent behaviour?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

guardiansin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 guardiansin
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Good Day Everyone

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am a playstation fan, always have been. I currently have a presentation it is a college level presentation and I need the opinions of expert gamers like youreself. The point is I want to prove that video games are not the cause of voilent behaviour and I need some key reference and expert opinions. If anyone has any opinion about this topic and can back up with they say I would greatly appreciate it. If you can find any reference to your claim or expert opinion even better.

Thank You Everyone

Guardian,:D

Matt2556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Matt2556
Member since 2008 • 1211 Posts

Lol, Im doing a research paper for my English class for this exact subject.

Anyway, Ive been playing video games since I was a child and while I might be violent at times, its in no way related to video games. I get violent because my brother might piss me off, or I might get into an argument with a class mate or family.

The way I see it, if the parents cant teach their kids the difference between reality and a television or computer screen, then 1) they shouldnt be parents and 2) their kids shouldnt be playing the games in the first place.

Hope I helped,
Shadow.

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

I wrote a paper on this topic last year for college, and here's what the conclusion states:

"There is no emperical data that shows a direct correllation between violent behavior and video games."

Doctors and Psychologists can try to draw conclusions, but they tend to contradict one another making facts become opnions.

SpYkMo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpYkMo
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

let me start by sayng this is my opinon, i've never researched this, but, it is what i believe.

In absolutely no way does a video game and i'll even include music and movies cause violent behavior. i think, violent behavior like the columbine high school incident and the Va tech incident are caused by some kind of mental defect in the person. thats not to say the purpotrators cant get idea's from video games, music and movies, but i doubt some one who plays a violent game such as gta or saints row, will all of suddenly snap and copy the acts of the game, there has to be something more to cause this, possibly family issues, self image issues, or possibly even mental issues. but politicians and others dont want to believe that, since they cant lay blame on the parents or the persons mind, they have to blame someone, so the game creator and publisher get put in the line of fire.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

I think that video games/movies desensitize kids to violence. If you look 50 years ago, they wouldn't dare show such violence and swearing on TV. Now with video games and violence, kids don't see it as big a deal when some soldier in iraq dies - or someone gets seriously injured on their street etc.

I don't believe it causes violence among kids though, that is up to the parents to keep their kids in line - and for the kids to make the decision in the end.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Bad parenting does. Games dont cause violence. Its like saying Suicide Solution cause suicidal actions.
Webswinger-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Webswinger-93
Member since 2008 • 186 Posts

let me start by sayng this is my opinon, i've never researched this, but, it is what i believe.

In absolutely no way does a video game and i'll even include music and movies cause violent behavior. i think, violent behavior like the columbine high school incident and the Va tech incident are caused by some kind of mental defect in the person. thats not to say the purpotrators cant get idea's from video games, music and movies, but i doubt some one who plays a violent game such as gta or saints row, will all of suddenly snap and copy the acts of the game, there has to be something more to cause this, possibly family issues, self image issues, or possibly even mental issues. but politicians and others dont want to believe that, since they cant lay blame on the parents or the persons mind, they have to blame someone, so the game creator and publisher get put in the line of fire.

SpYkMo

They might have a mental disorder from the beginning but as you said, games can give someone the idea to become violent. Maybe the politicians just want to prevent this?

I do believe that a completely sane person could play rated M games without feeling the urge to shoot people. As someone said earlier: It's the parents who have to teach there kids the difference between reality and a game.

MajinSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MajinSoul
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

IMO...Bad parenting can lead to anything going wrong with their kids. Bad parents just neglect to face the fact that their kid being bad is due to their bad parenting. You should check out the beginning of the newest Halloween movie...it shows how Michael Myers became the way he was and apparently it's close to what psychologist or therapists say are the cause or what could lead to violence with people.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Use Symphonycometh as an example. I am not a violent person, yet I can play/watch the worst of games.
Psmol200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Psmol200
Member since 2007 • 572 Posts

Another Excuse.......... for society to justify its actions.

Thats like saying Guns kill people, Guns dont kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE......

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Symphonycometh

Thats like saying Guns kill people, Guns dont kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE......

Psmol200

Bullets do. People are too cowardly to use bare hands most of the time.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

Use Symphonycometh as an example. I am not a violent person, yet I can play/watch the worst of games.Symphonycometh

The reason you play the worst of games is to listen to the symphony and the 'wonderful' music these composers have made for us. :lol:

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Symphonycometh

[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"]Use Symphonycometh as an example. I am not a violent person, yet I can play/watch the worst of games.LtColJaxson

The reason you play the worst of games is to listen to the symphony and the 'wonderful' music these composers have made for us. :lol:

This is actually a fact. :lol:

Drakengard for it's music and story.:|

Psmol200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Psmol200
Member since 2007 • 572 Posts

Its a combo of things IMO

Lack of parenting

The Media Glorifies Violence

No one wants to take responsibility for their actions, we live in a society where front page news is what Paris Hilton wore to a party, yet we have people dying everyday in this country, and overseas, along with other atrocities.....

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i dont think it does its up to a person what path he takes in life
Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

I saw a program on the news that talked about the fact that games can relieve stress, I don't have a link or anything but you might be able find some info on that by searching the web.

I like violent videos games and I'm not a violent person at all, if I'm forced into a situation where I might have to fight people I'll usually try to resolve it peacefully. It takes a real nut job to allow themselves to be effected any violent media (movies, games, music) but I do think that people can be desensitized by violent media but that does not cause them to be violent.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

I saw a program on the news that talked about the fact that games can relieve stress, I don't have a link or anything but you might be able find some info on that by searching the web.

Timmeus

Yeah I use them in that way, I play an RPG and I get lost in it, and helps me a lot in forgeting all the daily stuff that puts stress on me.

the_crosbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_crosbie
Member since 2007 • 740 Posts
[QUOTE="Psmol200"]

Symphonycometh

Chuck Norris kills people
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="Psmol200"]

the_crosbie

Ah, we have a conclusion.

Chuck Norris.

s-baller23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 s-baller23
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts
In my opinion there are many things that factor in to your question. For one, a child or a teen might not realize they are playing a game and try to reenact what they did in the game. Then it is their parents fault for not teaching them, "ok you rip out someone's spine in Mortal Kombat not in real life Junior" lol. Also, just like serial killers and pedophiles, they have a chemical imbalance in their brains which causes them to be violent without a cause. But as humans we mae good and bad judgment all the time. Like people above have stated, guns don't kill people, people kill people. How can a gun just walk up to you and shoot?
Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Nerkle01
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="Psmol200"]

the_crosbie

lol :D

g4merkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 g4merkid
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
Everything should always be taken in moderation no matter what it is. I mean, its one thing to point out the facts, but when Fox covers Sex scenes instead of telling us about the War in Iraq, or the gang violence, or all the other sins of the world. Thats when its obvious that Video Games is the thing the world can blame. I also very much agree that guns don't kill people, people kill people.
pielover666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 pielover666
Member since 2005 • 531 Posts

Good Day Everyone

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am a playstation fan, always have been. I currently have a presentation it is a college level presentation and I need the opinions of expert gamers like youreself. The point is I want to prove that video games are not the cause of voilent behaviour and I need some key reference and expert opinions. If anyone has any opinion about this topic and can back up with they say I would greatly appreciate it. If you can find any reference to your claim or expert opinion even better.

Thank You Everyone

Guardian,:D

guardiansin
Short Answer: No. Long answer: No, and I consider your argument misinformed. Insinuating that gaming causes violent behavior is pretty much saying that violent images on television, and cinematic film cause violence as well. Frankly, there aren't too many people out there who can't tell the difference between a video game and real life. It's possible that the idea of mass murder, or rape, or whatever, COULD have been where the person received teh idea. Frankly, being as there is a lot of violent media out there, even before the dawn of video gaming, said person would probably end up doing something stupid anyways, except mimicking a movie instead of a game.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
Do video games cause voilent behaviour?guardiansin
No. Poor parenting and poor judgement on the kids part. That's what causes violence.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
If you want expert opinions, go to sites or go to sources by people who have credentials. GS won't help.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

Psmol200

Agree. People were killing each other before movies/games were even created, so I don't agree that games are a cause to violence.

UTXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UTXII
Member since 2007 • 3448 Posts
I play shooters a lot, have a lot of them as well as a ton of other genres; it does not affect me.
joker_is_now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joker_is_now
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
no, i have been playing video games for over 7yrs and havent yet (and hope fully will never) done somethin dumb because a video game told me to or because a video game game gave me the idea that it was ok for me to go up to some one and take their car because i thought since i can do it in the game it should be ok for me to do it in real life
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
Violent behavior existed before video games, and would exist without video games. In fact any realistic violence in portrayed video games is something that has already happened. Probably where developers get their ideas? Therefore logically video games cannot be liable for any violence considering the chronological evidence. Lazy justice systems want and need a scapegoat.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 zeforgotten
Member since 2006 • 3918 Posts
I think it's funny when people think that videogames cause violent behavior. I remember back in the days where it was normally the parents who sucks at parenting or the kids just being crazy. Good old word that people should start to use again instead of blaming games, movies, books etc.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Symphonycometh

I think it's funny when people think that videogames cause violent behavior. I remember back in the days where it was normally the parents who sucks at parenting or the kids just being crazy. Good old word that people should start to use again instead of blaming games, movies, books etc.zeforgotten

You know, that was a pretty darn calm post coming from you.

namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 namcoman67
Member since 2003 • 633 Posts
i have played vidoegames all my life since i was a kid. i remember back in the days i would play mario with my father on our nes. i would also play contra and castlevania with my older brothers and i was not a violent kid, i was the shy quiet kid. nowdays i play alot of horror games and fighting games. i listen to alot of metal music as well that often sings about violence or hate but lyrics is not why i listen to it, its because i love the sound. i do not go around attacking people. my parents did a good job teaching whats the difference between the real world and the fictional world. i use videogames to take out anger. I remember when i was a teen everytime i would get mad at somebody i would just play Postal and take out all my anger by killing virtual people only.
namcoman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 namcoman67
Member since 2003 • 633 Posts
btw sorry if there any typos but im in a hurry lol
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zeforgotten
Member since 2006 • 3918 Posts

[QUOTE="zeforgotten"]I think it's funny when people think that videogames cause violent behavior. I remember back in the days where it was normally the parents who sucks at parenting or the kids just being crazy. Good old word that people should start to use again instead of blaming games, movies, books etc.Symphonycometh

You know, that was a pretty darn calm post coming from you.

What, i mean.. erhm. oh.. I eeh.. Damn you guys for discussion a pathetic topic like this and stuff. You should all log off the internet and like... erhm, And then do stuff!.

Was that better? :P
Or perhaps I have become a more gentle and caring person after i ended up in the hospital and saw that life is great :o (please don't believe that :P. It would take more than a hospital for me to become a good person)

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts
[QUOTE="the_crosbie"][QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="Psmol200"]

Symphonycometh

Ah, we have a conclusion.

Chuck Norris.

I still find it funny that chuck norris can still end arguments

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
In a sense, I believe it does. It is only during a game, in which I will maybe toss my controller or curse my mouth off. But I dont do that during any other activity. At the same time however, I do not think Video games cause the violence such as school shootings and what not...Heck I only get mad at games when Im playing online, just because people are so...I think I should just bite my tongue:x
cegmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cegmp
Member since 2005 • 459 Posts

I'm a student in MA clinical psychology and i have studied on this subject as well. From my research I have come to the conclusion that there is NO DIRECT CORRELATION between video games or movies (whether violent or not) causing violent behavior. With that said, i must also add that although that was my conclusion i further stated that, games and movies CAN influence behavior. There are just other factors that also play a role in directly causing ones behavior. Regarding this area i have no comment, since i haven't done any research. I would like to give you the readings that i have but all of them are articles or books. But i'll give you the authors next time since they are not with me at the moment. One last thing, my research was whether of media violence (any form) caused children to become violent. So, there maybe some significant differences in our work since i focus more on children (around ages 5-12). A word of advise though, i suggest on reading studies w/c have concluded that violence is a direct cause. If you want to prove your hypothesis then try to disprove it first. If it stands up to the challenge then you (or anyone) can say that it has really strong internal validity. Good luck! and.. sorry for the long post!

EDIT:

I would just like to point out that my research was basically correlating different sources. No experiments or studies were done. This is one limitation of my study and may prove to have influence the outcome.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

"Oh no! My kids are becoming monsters!"

"Mine too! But I don't want to look like a bad parent! We have to blame it on something! But what?"

"Hey, my kids play video games! Let's blame gaming for our problems because we're a bunch of cowards who refuse to say that the problem actually lies in the parents!"

"Great idea! Now we don't have to look bad because all we're blaming is the gaming industry!"

Basically, you swap "parenting" with just about any problem in the world (ie. terroism) and see how video games is underlined in there? You can swap that for any activity you want. Video games, music, chewing gum, breathing, whatever

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gruoch1
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

I look at it like this;

violence in video games does not create violence in the real world. Real world violence creates violence in video games. If there was no violence in the world, then there would be no violence in video games.

f1l200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 f1l200
Member since 2004 • 507 Posts

I think that video games/movies desensitize kids to violence. If you look 50 years ago, they wouldn't dare show such violence and swearing on TV. Now with video games and violence, kids don't see it as big a deal when some soldier in iraq dies - or someone gets seriously injured on their street etc.

I don't believe it causes violence among kids though, that is up to the parents to keep their kids in line - and for the kids to make the decision in the end.

LtColJaxson

all through out history people and children were induced to violence for a short time (much like the time your mentioning) there was not as much violence and desensitization, But now even though these things may desensitize its probably more of a good thing so that children are not so sheltered, and if kids dont see that its a big deal when some one in Iraq dies that has more to do with the parenting than what they watch or play

btf504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 btf504
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts

It's very hard to prove that something such as playing games can CAUSE something such as violence. However, I learned in my Psyc class that it's playing violent games is correlated with higher levels of violence. But as far as causing it, no. Who really knows though, I didn't do the studies or anything. Just tellin you what I heard.

I've played games for 16 years now, am I a violent monster? No. But that doesn't mean that some weaker minded people can't be influenced by what they see in games such as Grand Theft Auto or something like that. That doesn't mean it's the sole cause of it though. There's the parents, friends, and their whole environment. But I think it's reasonable to say that someone in a bad situation with bad/neglectful parents, bad/no friends, poor environment, bad neighborhood, etc... can be influenced by video games, and not only video games, but the whole media in general.

Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts
Well I have loved playing hard core games ever since I was little. My first experience with a really violent game was Mortal Kombat on my friends Sega. I just got finished playing DMC4 (played the first 3 too) and I'm now working on Ninja Gaiden Sigma. And I can say never once did I think about buying a gun or using a sword on anyone!
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
I don't think it has an effect, if your a normal human being and know right from wrong you should be fine.
mojojojo23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mojojojo23
Member since 2004 • 2219 Posts
It's funny the media portrays gamers as "geeks" or "nerds" and give us an image of beings skinny teens with acne. But when a 6'6 26 year old kills someone it he must have been a gamer.
the_animals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_animals
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts
[QUOTE="SpYkMo"]

Webswinger-93

They might have a mental disorder from the beginning but as you said, games can give someone the idea to become violent. Maybe the politicians just want to prevent this?

I do believe that a completely sane person could play rated M games without feeling the urge to shoot people. As someone said earlier: It's the parents who have to teach there kids the difference between reality and a game.

i think you missed what he was trying to say here. inherently violent people could get ideas from games but games dont give people the idea to become violent. I dont think violent people become that way based off an idea either.

Avatar image for thecakeisalie47
thecakeisalie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thecakeisalie47
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

Man, I think if people would calm down and play Metal Gear with a girlfriend, they wouldn't be violent. Maybe a certain product from a certain Dr. Hoffman would help.

hehehe:shock:

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
Sure does (kills somebody)
SpYkMo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpYkMo
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts
[QUOTE="SpYkMo"]

Webswinger-93

i didnt mean mental disorder in the way i said, i couldn't think of another way to put it, but gettin hit as a child, getting overly teased as a young school children. and i cant blame politicians for wanting to prevent this, but its not the game companies. they're providing entertainment, but theres really nothing else the politicians can do, you cant really punish the parents or the children who teased the other child.

parents need to take a bigger role in their childrens life, and it is so hard, because now a days unless your born rich, both parents usually need to work, or if you're a single parent you need to work extra hard. so children get left with babysitters or left with bad parents, or when old enough get left alone, to watch and play and do pretty much whatever they want. i had a friend, that had a baby when she was young, when she was able to she was still in school and working, so she would leave the baby with the father ( and i use that worrd lightly, cause he shouldn't be able to pro-create) he'd drink all day long, while watching violent movies and shows, swearing on the phone in front of the baby.and its just sad, that this guy is a parent and doesnt care what he does in front of the child. im not saying everyone is like this, but its not the only time.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
People have been argueing this point for decades. From RPGs like D&D, to Beavis and Butthead, and now to mature video games. Even Looney Toons got attention because of kids repeating the acts. Nothing causes a person to commit violent crime but his/her own will. No matter what life presents you with, you have a choice to make on how to deal with it. No video game, movie, etc. can make the choice for you. Even the most neglected of children grow up with enough basic sense of right and wrong to make a proper choice. The only question is do they care enough to choose correctly? God gave us free will, and the capacity to understand how to use it. Yes there are certain mental illnesses which prevent proper logic, but those are exceptions, not the rule. One thing I dont think is stressed enough is God made us with the need and desire for relationships. As a result, when you make the wrong choices, it not only affects you, but it affects those around you. Particularly those that love and care for you like friends and family. Sappy, but true. A wise man once said "No man is an island unto himself."