Do trophies ruin your experience?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

At first I enjoyed them. In concept it makes sense that it adds replay-ability, it should only be a positive. I definitely have re-played a few games a 2nd or 3rd time through just to get the platinum trophy. That's a good thing. But I have to admit at times it also effects which games I feel like playing.

So I suppose that is a bit of a negative in that I might have delayed playing a few games because I "didn't feel like going for trophies", or because I got caught up trying to 100% something I might have set aside another game that was actually much, much better.

Fortunately I don't get caught up TOO much if I can't 100% game. Sometimes I will go all the way, and other times it's just not worth it. There have been more than a few games that I set out to 100%, but then when I discovered just how un-FUN the online or collectibles were, I ended up just abandoning the quest for 100% and moving on to something better. There's a few on my friends list that literally 100% *EVERY* game they play, and to me that would almost be torture. Sometimes you just have to walk away from a mediocre game. Especially those that are more time consuming. 

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts
At first trophies were at the back of my mind, not caring for them at all, and if I enjoyed the game alot, I'd replay the game for the trophies for the sheer fun of it. But now, especially shooters, I find myself rushing to get the trophies or trying to get the trophies on my first playthrough. I hate it, I guess it's more of an OCD type thing, but I'm starting to hate these trophies :| It's a bizarre thing to say, but I've always liked collecting in games, and trophies is just an added value. But, it ruins the game for me. Do trophies interfere with your playing style?
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i don't mind trophies, there are good reasons to enjoy them. Developers put them out there for players to enjoy everything about the game more. I don't mind them, if you want to play the game and get platinums all around good(though i don't do that). I enjoy trying to get some, but i don't got after platinums and i do those that i enjoy and if i enjoy the game itself
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

At first trophies were at the back of my mind, not caring for them at all, and if I enjoyed the game alot, I'd replay the game for the trophies for the sheer fun of it. But now, especially shooters, I find myself rushing to get the trophies or trying to get the trophies on my first playthrough. I hate it, I guess it's more of an OCD type thing, but I'm starting to hate these trophies :| It's a bizarre thing to say, but I've always liked collecting in games, and trophies is just an added value. But, it ruins the game for me. Do trophies interfere with your playing style?enz2

I couldn't care less for trophies. It is ok if I get some trophy but I don't play the game to get them. If a game is feeling like a long chore rather than a fun game, you shouldn't pay too much attention to trophies.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts
Ya, i'm right with you on the OCD thing. It seems like I HAVE to get the trophys. It's almost like, if I don't, something just not right and it's just calling me to get those damned trophys.
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

It goes both ways; I really enjoy collecting them and for some games they've been a push to do an extra playthrough on hard or something that I end up seriously enjoying. So in many cases I got extra enjoyment out of a game that wouldn't have occured otherwise.

Though a couple of times it's made a game experience worse. I played Darksiders on hard because of trophies. Now it wasn't hard or anything it was just repetitive. Bosses had soooooooo  much health that battles got protracted and clearly weren't balanced for good gameplay and thus it was a weaker experince. (Unlike say, Dark Souls where the player and the boss have relatively low health and the game is flawlessly balanced and super intesne and awesome) 

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="enz2"]At first trophies were at the back of my mind, not caring for them at all, and if I enjoyed the game alot, I'd replay the game for the trophies for the sheer fun of it. But now, especially shooters, I find myself rushing to get the trophies or trying to get the trophies on my first playthrough. I hate it, I guess it's more of an OCD type thing, but I'm starting to hate these trophies :| It's a bizarre thing to say, but I've always liked collecting in games, and trophies is just an added value. But, it ruins the game for me. Do trophies interfere with your playing style?BH14

I couldn't care less for trophies. It is ok if I get some trophy but I don't play the game to get them. If a game is feeling like a long chore rather than a fun game, you shouldn't pay too much attention to trophies.

exactly how i feel i have only 6 full 1000/1000 games (bioshock trilogy, cod 2 and cod4 and assassins creed 2) on xbox from a while ago, stopped caring when i got a ps3. to be fair though i have been obsessed with those games. anything else and its just a chore becuase i feel crappy about how i have a bunch of "incomplete games) lol.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Nope, I don't pay them much attention when I first play the game. If I had fun with the game, and the trophies don't look to complicated, I'll probably eventually go back through and see how many I can collect. But I replay games all the time with no thought of trophies, and I have to be in the right mood to trophy hunt.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
Their are some trophies that ruin my gameplay like collectables in linier type games. I dont want to replay the game for the collectables so I try and get them on my first playthrough and I usually end up watching a guide for them thus ruining it for me.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah they're starting to get on my nerves as well. They are like the 400lb gorilla in the room, and almost feel like a burden sometimes. People say if you don't like them, ignore them, but sometimes it's a hard thing to do. The impulse to compare a play-through with what a  friend did is irresistible, and even though we all know they're superficial and mean nothing in the end, most of us just can't resist trying to get them, even the hard and time-consuming ones that make you wanna pull your hair out.

At this point I wish they never existed in the first place so I could just enjoy the game the way I want to.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

I am very much a perfectionist in that I try to experience everything a game has to offer, which, of course, included going after trophies. But after a while I noticed that that was getting in the way of my initial playthroughs of a game, acting more as a checklist as opposed to what an intial playthrough should be: experiencing the game itself. So now I just play a game without really giving trophies a second thought. If I happen to get trophies, then great; if not, that's fine, too.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I used to be an avid trophy hunter. Ended up with 10 platinums. Then I started playing around on some other platforms and old school games and realized I was doing stupid stuff in games merely for the sake of 100% completion. I was replaying games that I didn't enjoy that much, doing stuff I didn't really care about. I can't pin it to an exact time but I just stopped caring about it. I'd enjoy them more if they managed to stick to being digital checklists of 100% completion but so many of them have random and odd stuff to do in them.

Now I'm just indifferent to them. They're just there. I check them out of curiousity from time to time but they no longer impact the way I play like they used to. I don't dislike them but I don't really care for them either.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride
Ya, i'm right with you on the OCD thing. It seems like I HAVE to get the trophys. It's almost like, if I don't, something just not right and it's just calling me to get those damned trophys.fnevaeva
i feel so also, but i don't do it if the game isn't fun
blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
the only thing i dont like about trophies is that i have so many games sitting at 0% that i wish i could delete.
wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts
Have never cared about trophies. Seems to me like a waste of time.
black__bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 black__bunny
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

Before there were ever trophies I used to just play through a came casually before moving onto the next. But with trophies I complete multiple playthroughs and spend a lot more time with a game before moving on. In saying that, I dont buy games just for trophies, I buy quality games and they are just a bonus for me

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
I forget they exist till one pops up.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I don't look at the trophy list until I complete the story mode.
Avatar image for InstantKlassick
InstantKlassick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 InstantKlassick
Member since 2010 • 1161 Posts

I ignored them for the first year, then from September 2009 - January 2013 I went pretty hard at obtaining them. Since I hit 5000 trophies, ive pretty much quit and have gone back to SNES/PS2/GBA 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I have no interests in trophies.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
I don't look at the trophy list until I complete the story mode.unrealtron
Same. I'm very sure that was the intention of whoever thought these things up: Added motivation for replaying a good game, not for playing it.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

I try to get the platinum for each game that I play. Realistically it seldom works out because the trophies themselves are just ridiculous or I get burnt out on the game. I wouldn't say trophies have ruined games so much as they've made me more self-conscious of the games I choose to play. I stay away from games with heavy emphasis on multiplayer or those that have a substantial amount dedicated to online play. I've always been a single-player lover so I naturally gravitate towards those types of games that offer me a better chance of unlocking trophies through a SP experience.

It's so hard for games to nail the perfect balance of challenge versus reward. On one hand you want the ease of unlocking them but not to the point that they no longer present a challenge. I think a game that does a good job of trophy allotment is the Uncharted series where they present just enough of a challenge and don't feel extraneous to earn, but at the same time aren't given away liberally.

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

I dont think so..it adds more to the game especially those that are finished in under 10 hours. It add challenges and replayability; most of them are stuff you wouldnt normally due after you complete a game. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Trophies are kind of a double-edged sword.  Some of them you'll want to take the time to get, or be happy to accidently stumble upon.  Others take way too much time to get or are handed out like crazy, and just seem pointless.  I don't think there will ever be a happy medium with this sort of thing anyway.

I guess if there's a game I really like that I can spend a lot of time playing, I might feel more inclined to take the time to unlock as many achievements as I can on it.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#25 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Nope. I only go out of my way to get them on my second playthrough. On my first, I just want to coast through and enjoy the game.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I like trohpies, but I am not a person that has to get them all.... Nor am I a person that will play shitty games just to get the Platinums....
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I enjoyed getting my 21 platinums.  It's almost like an RPG thing - you collect them throughout the game until you've got them all, sort of like levelling up your character in a way.  But now it's almost impossible to find a game you can platinum without online trophies, and I just hate that.  If they're not forcing you to play some crappy tacked-on multiplayer for 10 times longer than any sane person could possibly enjoy it, they're forcing you to find trophy boosting partners and deal with all the nonsense of scheduling a boosting session with people halfway across the world and having them not show up etc.

So yeah, I used to enjoy trophies but the fact that they've pretty much ruined them now has definitely reduced my interest in gaming.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#28 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Usually they help me get everything out of a game, but sometimes there are ridiculous trophies that require mindless grinding or playing an online you don't care for. Sometimes I become a little too dedicated... I don't like giving up on a relatively easy game to plat, but some trophies are so dumb I just don't know why I bother. Overall trophies haven't really been detrimental to my gaming experience, because again, they usually actually help me get most of what I can out of a game. Extra motivation, I guess.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Certainly not, but they don't add to my personal experience, either.  To me, they're just "there".

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I play games for one reason and one reason only to beat it and have fun. If I am not having fun I stop playing the game I won't go to Platinum a trophy. I play games for fun.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

Before there were ever trophies I used to just play through a came casually before moving onto the next. But with trophies I complete multiple playthroughs and spend a lot more time with a game before moving on. In saying that, I dont buy games just for trophies, I buy quality games and they are just a bonus for me

black__bunny
yeah i have started doing that also
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I enjoy getting trophies but I won't go out of my way to get one. I'll only get the trophy if its part of the story of if I can easily obtain it.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="unrealtron"]I don't look at the trophy list until I complete the story mode.Reptylus
Same. I'm very sure that was the intention of whoever thought these things up: Added motivation for replaying a good game, not for playing it.

Yup, 100 % agree.

Though ocassionally I look it up every now and then too see what exactly this trophy was for I just got and scroll it quick through when I begin a new game, but then I just play the game, enjoy what it has to offer (or hasn't x) ) and when I'm done and want more of it I check them through and go for them.

It's all a matter of discipline: You should always see them as extra like DVD Extra Menu's and stuff like that, never as something that belongs to the core game.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

Trophies do not ruin my experiences other than take my attention away from what I was doing when it pings up onscreen.

Now that---I do wish I could toggle on/off. I could care less about this completely arbitrary 'achievements'.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="enz2"]At first trophies were at the back of my mind, not caring for them at all, and if I enjoyed the game alot, I'd replay the game for the trophies for the sheer fun of it. But now, especially shooters, I find myself rushing to get the trophies or trying to get the trophies on my first playthrough. I hate it, I guess it's more of an OCD type thing, but I'm starting to hate these trophies :| It's a bizarre thing to say, but I've always liked collecting in games, and trophies is just an added value. But, it ruins the game for me. Do trophies interfere with your playing style?BH14

Eloquently THIS. I don't care either way, as I've been a gamer looong enough to where I can recall a time like that 'trophies' didn't matter. If I get them along the way when I'm playing---fine. But I don't make it a ridiculously tedious chore to go 'hunting' for them, so I can't say it 'ruins' anything for me b/c I don't let it.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

I used to be a crazy trophy collector.  It was almost like an obsession.  I think I'm currently sitting at 29 platinums.  I must say that I rather enjoyed it, but most games have started to incorporate online requirements for trophies, and if the game's online portion sucks, and it usually does, then I'm not going to waste my time.  I have no inclination to play assassins creed games online just to get 100%.  For the life of me cannot understand why they've started making online trophies.  Once the game's online community dies it's virtually impossible to get 100% which really sucks for avid trophy hunters.

CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
I do not care about trophies, I find that if I unlock them I unlock them and that I do not go out of my way to get them.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Nope, I ignore trophies. They do nothing at all and usually just distract most people away from the story and whats going on in the game.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't care too much about trophies. I've got more of an attachment to achievements but even then it's just bonus content to me. By their very design (being optional and providing nothing more than a digital trophy that isn't even good looking), there's no way they could have a negative impact on me. Some people have that addictive and gluttonous nature though where they have to complete everything and anything put in front of them, even if they don't have to and they hate doing it. I feel sorry for those folk.
Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#40 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts
only the difficult ones ruin my experience :(
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I like the trophies and the leveling up type of thing on the PSN...but it isn't a something too important for me. Sure I'd rather have the game to have trophies, but I never go out of my trying to obtain one. I only get the ones that are following the storyline mostly unless I truly love the game.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

Nope, I usually for the most part ignore them for a first playthrough of the game, and if I don't think it is going to be too difficult I may try for the platinum, but lately haven't tried to get any trophies likely due to lack of motivation for it which is probably why I haven't platinumed a game this year yet.

Avatar image for Zero_resistance
Zero_resistance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zero_resistance
Member since 2009 • 232 Posts

If I've got one problem with trophies, its multiplayer trophies.  Take Tomb raider and Assassins creed as examples.  Single player games at heart with multiplayer trophies? Tell you whats bullshit - Thats Bullshit.  And the problem is that they are launch trophies to begin with.  So you cant get the platinum unless you play the feckless multiplayer mode that the developers have just tacked on the game as an afterthought.

If you were playing games that are meant to have multiplayer (CoD, MoH, GT5 etc.) I wouldn't complain so much.  They need them.

mrribz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrribz
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
no, trophies are one of the things that keeps me returning to older games. Some are just too hard to gfet though but thats just me i guess
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

the only thing i dont like about trophies is that i have so many games sitting at 0% that i wish i could delete.blaqphantom

This, as well as the DLC trophies that get added to the list that I have no intention of ever getting.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#46 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

If I think I can get a certain trophy I will attempt it if it is way out of my reach I won't bother but normally I just lay the game for the experience and to enjoy it.

sonic-boom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sonic-boom
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

I know what you're feeling. Early on I just played games for fun and if I trophy popped up then great. Sometimes I would replay a game to try to earn certain trophies and challenge myself. Now it seems whenever I start a game I've noticed I adjust my playing style in order to get a trophy. A most recent example would be when I was playing Bioshock Infinite, I'd use only specific weapons or combos in order to contribute to trophy tallies rather than using a weapon I enjoyed or better suiting the combat situation I was in.

The best tactic going forward would be to not read the trophy list until after completing the game so you don't get distracted. After the game you can decide whether or not you want to bother earning certain trophies. More likely than not you'll not bother wanting to go back and get trophies in comparison to starting a game with trophies in mind so it's probably for the best and will encourage you to move on to better games or replaying games that warrant a replay.

cool5845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 cool5845
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

Well, for me it gives me a sense of something achieved. Trophies work for me and I am the sort of guy who throws the game away when it's finished. But thanks to trophies I stick to the game after I have completed the main story/part of it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nah. I'm the old-school type who gets done with a game once I've beaten it at the hardest difficulty level.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Ruin? Not really, I do enjoy collecting trophies during my play-through but that's about it. You won't see me purposely spending enormous amount of time trying to obtain them for collecting reasons.

They are a fun bonus to me personally, nothing more.