do people actually use the full capacity of their ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 safdar05
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts

hi,

i want to get a 40gb ps3. i knw it has 2 usb instead of two, but do ppl relly use all of thier usb ports and full 60gb and memory card readers and play ps2 games on the 80/60gb ps3( depending on where you live)? personally,im not too bothered with 40gb losing backwards compatilibity because why would you want to play ps2 games when you have ps3? its just a backwards step and makes you think why u would buy a ps3 in the first place then.

is it necessary to get the 60gb ps3 to gain the full beneifts?

Thanks.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
I play PS2 games, only the decent ones that I missed out on.
I have two USB chargers for my two controllers (though I only ever use 1 at a time),
a USB headset (though I really should get a bluetooth one someday),
then there's the PS eye which I plan on getting.

I don't use the memory card readers, though as I have a PSP it's not impossible that I will at some point.
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

i have only played re4 on my ps3 60 gig cos i missed it, i wouldve gotten a 40 gig if i waited. i dont use all the space and the extra crud. and when you look at it like this: (AUST PRICES)

ps3 60 gig $999

ps3 40 gig $699+

ps2 console $99 $898

your saving about $200 bucks on buying them seprate.

and thats not including all the sales they have on the 40 gig! goes down to $650 sometimes!

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

hi,

i want to get a 40gb ps3. i knw it has 2 usb instead of two, but do ppl relly use all of thier usb ports and full 60gb and memory card readers and play ps2 games on the 80/60gb ps3( depending on where you live)? personally,im not too bothered with 40gb losing backwards compatilibity because why would you want to play ps2 games when you have ps3? its just a backwards step and makes you think why u would buy a ps3 in the first place then.

is it necessary to get the 60gb ps3 to gain the full beneifts?

Thanks.

safdar05

i actually use all four usb ports almost all my 60 gigs and switch back and forth between ps3 and ps2 games also i use the media card reader to transfer pics i take right onto my ps3. if your having fun then yoru getting hte full benefit of your ps3.

safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 safdar05
how else can u transfer pictures and music onto your ps3 if you dont hvae memory card readers?
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

how else can u transfer pictures and music onto your ps3 if you dont hvae memory card readers?safdar05

just use data stickes that work with a usb. They are really cheap.

I only use 2 usb ports at a time. I charge one controller at a time so I always have one working.

safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 safdar05
lol im kinda new to this, whats a 'data stickie'? do u mean memory stick? Maybe,thats wat we call it over here lol.
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
In my experience with my 60gb, I've used three of the four USB ports at once (headset, recharging one controller, and memory stick). I replaced the 60gb hd with a 320gb one and have added music to it so far, soon will add videos (my old hd had lots of them). As far as BC goes, I've never by myself played a ps2 game on my ps3 since I got it last June. I still have my ps2 and I could use that. When friends come over, a couple times we have played ps2 games on my ps3, but that's rare since ps3 games are the norm now.. I watch blu-rays and have a nice little thing going, and have a solid games collection building up. I do folding@home when I'm not playing and give my ps3 a break once every 3 or 4 days. I would say I'm using it a lot but I'm not using it to its full capacity :D
poomonger613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 poomonger613
Member since 2006 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="safdar05"]how else can u transfer pictures and music onto your ps3 if you dont hvae memory card readers?NinjaMunkey01

just use data stickes that work with a usb. They are really cheap.

I only use 2 usb ports at a time. I charge one controller at a time so I always have one working.

or you can stream them from your pc strait to the console
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 safdar05
stream? wat does tha mean? send by bluetooth?
poomonger613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 poomonger613
Member since 2006 • 1331 Posts
stream? wat does tha mean? send by bluetooth?safdar05
streaming media files basically means that your sending the files through a server to another computer i.e. the ps3. you can setup a server using windows media player 11 or tversity (i personally use windows media player 11 ) there was a link on another thread but i can't give it to you cause im on my ps3 now. just google how to set it up
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
Rock Band makes me use 3 of my ports at once...will be all 4 when i can get a 2nd guitar and another person to be in my band =P
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Buy a 4 port USB hub for $10 and your USB problem is solved. Want a bigger HDD? Buy a 120-160gb hdd and the hub for less than the price of the 80gb. USB is a fine substitute for card readers (just put it on the PC first, then the USB stick). Plus you get a sneak peak at what blu ray can do with the 40gb instead of a middling racing game :)
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 safdar05

yeh thats true, but i dont relly think itll apply to me for two reaons:

1) i dont relly play those sort of games e.g. rockband, eyetoy( used to not anymore)

2) even if i do somehow happen to require extra usb ports, theres a usb hub you can buy very cheaply, which will allow you to expand the no. of avalable usb ports, though the chances of me needing this are very slim.

so, overall, i think ill manage wth two usb ports, dont need backwards compatibilty as ill still have my ps2 in another room, will be able to send files to my ps3 once i know how to, and will not require extra hd space anytime soon. even if i do ill probably just buy an external hard drive:)

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

I have a 60 gig and I use the meroy cards for my camera, 2 usb ports for charging my controller, another for my PSEye and the last one for the external drive or USB drive.

I play MGS1-3, Parasite eve, FF7-12 as well as my 27 PS3 games with my 25 blu-ray movies. Also use remote play with my PSP.

In short yes people do use the system to its full

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
I use 2 UBS ports, sometimes 3 and I use the card readers regularly.
VengenceZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VengenceZero
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts
I know I dont. If they do.......way too much gaming time on their hands
--MAV3R1CK--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18 --MAV3R1CK--
Member since 2006 • 9346 Posts
If you want the memory slots and the ps2 backwards compatiblity then get it. Its all based on what you need at the time and in the future. If you don't care much about that tehn just get the 40GB which is a fairly goodd choice also.
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 safdar05

I have a 60 gig and I use the meroy cards for my camera, 2 usb ports for charging my controller, another for my PSEye and the last one for the external drive or USB drive.

I play MGS1-3, Parasite eve, FF7-12 as well as my 27 PS3 games with my 25 blu-ray movies. Also use remote play with my PSP.

In short yes people do use the system to its full

hiryu3

lol, i agree with the person who said these people have way too much gaming time. 60gb is not even available in the uk and even wen it is, it is at inflated prices. ill be happy with 2 usb ports, ll charge 1 controller nd play with 1. plus this person say he has 27 games nd 25 movies! im never gonaget that many, so no wonder he/she needs so much ports. im not going to do remote play( at least i cant see myself dng that) and i may get an external hard drive in the future. if i need to get a usb hub, then ill do so. its much better than to spend so much more money on a 60gb ps3.

i just think that the 40gb model seems inferior and the rubbish cheapy model. does anyone else think like this when they are thinking of buying a ps3?

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

60 gig here. I rarely ever use the backward compatability unless Im using the remote play to play ps1 games on the psp. I always have a new game playing for the ps3, but it has been alittle dead on that front. But as using the ps3 full capacity I think by using

Remote play

Watch Blu Rays

Play games

And I always use the web browser to watch things on youtube, looks great on a 56in tv

That is a wide range of stuff to do!!!!

safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 safdar05
i just think that the 40gb model seems the rubbish cheapy model. does anyone else think like this when they are thinking of buying a ps3?
mmntech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mmntech
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

The only features I really don't use on my 60gb are photo storage an online gaming. Never been a big online gaming fan. It's pretty much replaced my CD/DVD player. My local video store finally has Blu-ray in. Got music and TV shows stored on it. Linux is installed on a partition. Since I didn't have a PS2, I love the BC on it since I can play all the great games I missed. I would have had trouble justifying the price of it if I didn't use those features.

safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 safdar05

i just think that the 40gb model seems the rubbish cheapy model. does anyone else think like this when they are thinking of buying a ps3?

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
The only thing I don't use is the backward compatibility, but it's nice to have it since I do plan on getting some cheap ps2 games.
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 safdar05
wen ppl were thining of buying the ps3 did n e of u guys think that the 40gb model is the cheapy rubbish model? or did none of u think like that? coz thats kinda how i am thinking at he moment.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

wen ppl were thining of buying the ps3 did n e of u guys think that the 40gb model is the cheapy rubbish model? or did none of u think like that? coz thats kinda how i am thinking at he moment.safdar05

If I was buying a ps3 now, I would probably stay clear of it. But I got the 20gig, which is all I'd need. Now you can't install a whole lot on the 20gig, maybe 3 games at a time, but it has all the essentials. Thing is, if you ever decide to get an hdtv, ps2/ps1 games look that much better if you decide to play them.

But I use my ps3 to most of its capacity. Play ps3 games, watch dvd/blu-ray movies, play ps2/ps1 games, and occassionally use remote play and streaming. I suppose the only thing I barely ever use, is its internet browser. Sure, its gotten better over time, but its still not my favorite thing in the world.

You ask me? I say just go for the 60/80gig. Which ever you can find. They're both future proof. So say a good ps2 game catches your mind, and you want to go back to play it. You have a system that'll play it right then. 80gig-500$ usd. Or 400$usd with 120$usd if you decide to play ps2 games. Over time, your hard drive space will fill up quickly, and you'll have to delete some stuff from time to time. Not so much with the 80gig.

signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

safdar05

how annoying are you?

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Since sony makes it a point to own a PS3 AND a PSP i to fully utilise either i have to answer this with a no.
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 safdar05
lol, problme is i live in the UK and over here we only have 40gb avalaible though there are rumours that they are going to release a larger hdd ps3 though its not 100%. sony said that themselves that they have no plans to release it, but they always say that.
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
I primarily use it for playing ps3 games,importing photos and music.
A3trix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 A3trix
Member since 2007 • 434 Posts

I understand your point on the 40gb PS3. I have an 80gb PS3 and enjoy the backwards compatibility! Whenever i get bored or are just in the mood to play one of those great adventure or shooting games I loved when i was little... I have that conveinance. Personally, i think the 4 USB's are almost a must have on the PS3. I'm constantly charging all my controls since my friends are all over at my house playing my PS3 instead of their 360's. Also think about whether or not your considering a bundle like Rock Band... Your going to need all 4 USB's to play with friends!

Just do what you want... and will all be happy to welcome you to the Sony family!

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
I stream music, but dont really hear it. I dont know how to stream video. I dont have an HDTV.
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

to be honest, i could cut down, but yes im using everything it gives me, all 4 usb, i have linux installed, music is streamed from my computer because i dont have room for it and linux..., downloadable games,save files, random linux games and demos that are multiplayer sucha s timeshift and lost planet.

but like i said, i could cut down to 40 gig easy if i wanted to, i jsut dont

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

I stream music, but dont really hear it. I dont know how to stream video. I dont have an HDTV. Tlahui

winamp. you can stream anything on your computer to your ps3. it even has some bonus's that ill leave to suprise you

SwArM15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 SwArM15
Member since 2003 • 114 Posts

[QUOTE="safdar05"]stream? wat does tha mean? send by bluetooth?poomonger613
streaming media files basically means that your sending the files through a server to another computer i.e. the ps3. you can setup a server using windows media player 11 or tversity (i personally use windows media player 11 ) there was a link on another thread but i can't give it to you cause im on my ps3 now. just google how to set it up

i use orb
and i love it... i can access my full itunes library, and movies from my computer using my ps3...
all you have to do is set up an account, download the program, turn it on, and your ps3 will recognize the program and allow you to access whatever you have permitted

this really comes in handy when i'm at school... just bring my psp, and within using remote play, i can basically access my computer, through my ps3 via remote play, when i'm just chillin in between courses:D
keeps the boredom level way down

watchgrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 watchgrief
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

absolutely not but i think that is the point, so we dont tax our systems and it would be slow

Watch Pure Grief Videos - http://www.watchgrief.com

steve4200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 steve4200
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts
yeah i use it to the fullest...i think of it as my duty to use as many aspects as i can from the ps3...i have linux setup on it...from there i can run windows and play pc games...i have the 60gig and play some ps2 games on it sometimes...i use almost all the usb ports, i got 2 chargers for the controllers a headset keyboard mouse and eye, plus i dont always but do use the other slots, my gf has a sony camera which can be used with the ps3 (like the memory card will go into it) also i got alot of music and stuff stored on it (i have a 250gig external i have hooked up to it too) plus i got the hdmi cables ect ect...almost every feature of ps3 i try to take advantage of and its great...when u really sit down and list off the things that this machine can do it amazing...also i use it to sync up with my psp of course and can do a buncha things with that...now with a 40 gig...i would for sure miss playing my ps2 games...and i guess it wouldnt be a big deal if it didnt have as many ports...though...if i never knew about the 60gig then the 40gig would be kool...but since i have a 60 i dont think theres anyway i would get a smaller or nto as good version (hence the 4 yr warrenty i got on it cuz i knew they would be stopping them soon) so im set for awhile
Avatar image for cloud_strife007
cloud_strife007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cloud_strife007
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
I've got the 40 Gig and I'm pretty happy with. I've got a computer to store all my music and photos and stuff like that on. If I need more then two USB ports I'll get a USB hub. If I need a larger Hard drive, I'll go out and get one. If I want to play PS2 games, I'll fire up my ps2. I'm pretty happy with my decision.
safdar05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 safdar05

I've got the 40 Gig and I'm pretty happy with. I've got a computer to store all my music and photos and stuff like that on. If I need more then two USB ports I'll get a USB hub. If I need a larger Hard drive, I'll go out and get one. If I want to play PS2 games, I'll fire up my ps2. I'm pretty happy with my decision.cloud_strife007

yeah, i totally agree with u on that one. ill do the exact same and get the 40 gb model, since thats the only model out here n e ways i dont have n e choice.

Stalemate99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 Stalemate99
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts
I used up my 60gb, now I have a 250gb PS3. I also have all of my USB ports in use, External Harddrive, Blu Ray Remote, PS3eye and Six Axis charger.
Quackers87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Quackers87
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I just bought a Playstation 3. I have a LCD HDTV capable of 720p and 1080i resolutions. I current have the optimal setting of 1080i applied. I noticed that every PS3 game I own states on the back of the box the supported resolution of 720p. Will my playstation 3 automatically change to 720p for my game and 1080i for Blu-ray movies???? I also have it connected with an HDMI..didn't know if that would matter?....If anyone can give me a simple anwser I'd appreciate it! thanks
gowthamspa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 gowthamspa
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts
I play both ps2 and 3 games, play blu ray moviesa and dvds, play music, pictures. Its pretty much my entertainment system.
danathjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 danathjo
Member since 2007 • 213 Posts

I play both my PS2 and PS3 games on 1080P (or whatever the ps2 games get scalled upto), only used the blu-ray a few times so far (wanting to get planert earth soon though)

used both the SD and MSD card readers for photos (slideshow/backrounds etc)

usb 1 for charging a controller, usb 2 for my singstar mic, usb 3 for the ps eye and a spare usb 4 (but have used it to plug in a camera once or twice)

also used remote play a few times but still ironing out a few kinks with that one...anything else i can do with it?