Disappointed- Playstation broken after 2 months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mega_Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mega_Mustaine
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

I had a PS3 slim (g1) and never had any issues with it. Bought my Playstation about a month ago and now- light turns on blue, then the unit powers itself down. Tried other power cords/outlets, etc. but no luck.

I'm sending it into Sony repair, but they said it'll take 5 business days (a week) for me to recieve the box, 3 days to ship it back, and 10 business days (two weeks) to repair it, and another 3 days to ship it back. So a three week period for the repair. Freaking sucks!

I've always been a Playstation fan but never had issues with the reliability of my console. The PS4 seems like a cool piece of hardware, but its fan is ridiculous. Not sure if my issue has to do with overheating, but I'm simply not as confident in it as I was the ps3 slim.

Anyone else had this issue? If so, how did it get fixed for you?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Sometimes things break

The way you're going maybe you should deal with other hobbies? Like books, books do not break down when new and even if the binding comes off you still have a book.

I would visit the library.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#3 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Be grateful it broke while under warranty.

Mega_Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mega_Mustaine
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

@Jaysonguy: No need to be rude- it's obviously frustrating and I was curious if anyone else on the forum had a similar issue and what their experience was.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Never heard of this.

There is a small percentage of electronics from Panasonic to Denon to Samsung to Xbox to Nintendo to Playstation to HP to LG to Apple and more that release with issues. It's very unlucky, but you are covered so you're fine.

What would have been horrible is if you had an issue after warranty. It looks like you are fine.

Case closed.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

I've had a console break from both Sony and Nintendo in the past... but ironically, not Microsoft during the entire 360 era with the RRoD scare.

My PS2 bit it. And also my Wii. But my last gen consoles all held up great.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

nah...it ain't scarin' me,besides,I have the same issue 7 years ago before I have a PS3,my old PS2 died peacefully because of age factor,I played that machine with lots of games in it for more than I could remember...let's just move on,I'm sure some things break by either natural causes or player-made damage. we have a much more advanced technology,so we don't have to rely on nostalgia,then again,it's a matter of luck to survive such inevitability.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Mega_Mustaine said:

@Jaysonguy: No need to be rude- it's obviously frustrating and I was curious if anyone else on the forum had a similar issue and what their experience was.

It's the chance you take with "ANY" electronic! That's why stores try to sell extended warranties....but to answer your question "NO" I haven't had any issues with my PS4 and I've had mine since launch.

kyle2k06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kyle2k06
Member since 2015 • 24 Posts

When I first got my PS4 at launch I got assassins creed and battlefield. Played Assassins creed quite a bit but everytime I played battlefield things would run slow and eventually playing battlefield my hard drive fried....not sure if it was from battlefield or just something faulty but I sent it in and they sent me a new one back.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

Got mine at launch and is still going strong, the only console I've had break on me was the 360

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Sony's track record for consoles isn't the best, but the PS4s seem to be pretty solid. Personally I went through 4 PS2s, and 3 PS3s. About half were covered under warranty, but still an unacceptable amount of failures. Especially considering I am still using my original SNES, and NES. Both of which get used quite a bit. Anyway, so far so good on the PS4. Going on a year and a half now, and only a couple minor issues. Which i would guess were actually more software related than hardware.

Sorry to hear yours died, hope you get it back soon. I know it sucks really bad when a console goes out on you, and you have to wait weeks to get it back. I remember when my first PS3 died. I had waited in line to get InFamous at a midnight launch. I came home, put the disc in, started the game, played about 3 minutes of it, and poof garbled mess of lines and the game locked up. Surely it was the disc. I retried it, tried other discs...nothing. The discs might start, but they would freeze up. I had waited weeks for InFamous, and then the PS3 would not read discs any more. That sucked bad. All I wanted to do was shoot lightning from my finger tips while riding on top of a subway train...was that so much to ask?

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

My ps4 seems very noisy and gets quite loud when running games but hasnt failed yet. Just for comparison, the first xbox one I bought didnt work out of the box (wouldnt read discs). My ps3 fat stopped working after a few years (ylod) and my brother went through 3 360s (rrod). Never had a nintendo console fail on me though.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I'm not being negative but I do not like how my PS4 creaks and clicks when I'm playing it, it runs great and does get a little hot but nothing major, I feel it's been designed right on the teetering point of function/form. It's aaaalmost getting hot but has enough ventilation and is just big enough to have it dissipate well enough. Then you look at Xbox One and it's "MOOAR FAN!!!" which runs nice and cool and quiet with minimal clicking and creaking.

Still sucks you got a dud but as with anything mass produced from materials from all over the planet there's gonna be a number of bad ones that passed their testing. Don't you have a moneyback or instant replacement or something? I'm sure most retailers in the UK do this, or at least will do it out of courtesy.

Danielbell93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Danielbell93
Member since 2015 • 28 Posts

@Mega_Mustaine: That's insane all the time they're asking. My original PS4's HDMI port went bad after about 4 or 5 months of owning it. I called Sony and they sent me an overnight box that day. Next day I shipped mine off and on the third day a brand new PlayStation was sitting at my house.. Sadly though.. now my discs barely slide into the console anymore. My fan also sounds like a hair dryer when I play games.