Disapointed with PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

Vita can play digital PSP games, but PS4 can't play PS3 games. Why would Sony make one system BC but the other one not?

Vita can also play movie and music files and view photos, in addition to its myriad of non-gaming apps (maps, email, Facebook, Twitter). PS4 can't do any of that stuff. It seems Sony didn't plan PS4 development very well when their handheld has more features.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Only a matter of time.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

the OS was rushed to get it out early..... To be honest they are taking forever with these updates. Xbox One has had several updates since release and they keep coming. Sony is dropping the ball on this one. Oh well, I just play games.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tendoboy1984

How would you guys feel if your next smartphone couldn't access all your previous apps and downloads, or play any music or movies?

Backwards compatibility and multimedia functions are essential on PC's and smartphones, so it should be expected with game systems.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Honestly the ps4 plays games, that's all I need imo.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tendoboy1984

"I just want a game system that plays games..."

Well I guess the world has no need for smartphones then, since phones are just for calling and texting.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Sony is releasing PS Now which is a subscription service that plays PS3 games this summer. They put Music Unlimited on PS4 which is a subscription service instead of allowing free MP3 play. PSN is a subscription service for multiplayer which was free on PS3. Sony is doing things with their PS4 to make their gaming division more profitable in order to stay afloat. These things were free with PS3, but Sony can't afford to allow free things on PS4 in order to be profitable.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clr84651

@tendoboy1984 said:

How would you guys feel if your next smartphone couldn't access all your previous apps and downloads, or play any music or movies?

Backwards compatibility and multimedia functions are essential on PC's and smartphones, so it should be expected with game systems.

That is why you keep your PS3 to play games on it, as I have done. I also bought a PS4 that I play those games on. PS Now will be out this summer that allows you to play PS3 games for a fee. Sony can't keep allowing free things on their systems anymore. Xbox's aren't BC either. The gaming world changes over time. Free is nice when you can get it, but can't be expected anymore.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tendoboy1984

What if your next Android smartphone couldn't use all your old apps, and you had to rebuy everything all over again? Would you be satisfied with that?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Because it would be a really stupid move to have a CELL in the PS4 and everything else to make it compatible.. x86 development is completely than developing for the CELL.. Only real shot at BC is via streaming, which is coming.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Yeah the PS4 is missing a ton of features it should've had since day one. As bad, or even worse, as that is, Sony has been slow as can be at pumping out updates to improve the PS4.

The rate at which certain others pump out great updates that improve their console makes it all the more sad just how slow and unreliable Sony is in this department.

The thing I'm personally missing the most is the long promised suspend/resume feature. As someone who's used that very feature, let's say elsewhere, I can vouch for how awesome and useful it t is. Especially if, like me, you're prone to being interrupted a lot while gaming, the ability to put the system into standby and be able to pickup exactly where you left off upon boot is amazing. Funny thing is that this feature is one of the things Sony first and most talked about features upon unveiling PS4, but where is it? Nowhere to be found. Hell, to my knowledge, they don't even talk about it anymore. Ridiculous.

Hopefully they pick it up and pick it up fast because, IMO, the PS4 feels very lacking and very behind in a lot of ways.

EDIT:

As for BC, I can understand why others like/want it, but I don't care. Truth be told I'd rather get "definitive editions" of many of last gen's greats anyway (like the Tomb Raider and The Last of Us Definitive/Remaster Editions).

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

@clr84651: Remember back when Sony got so much praise for being free when it came to all that stuff. Times have changed.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

remember those times when ps3's motto was "does everything", well it did "everything", had free online and fell behind in sales... now the ps4 does gaming very well, online streaming (ps store, netflix, music, etc.) ok, media playback ok, online gaming is a paid subscription with various perks and is ahead in sales...

there is nothing unknown with the systems capabilities and everything is announced by sony, everyone can check them out for themselves and decide if they want to invest in such a system, of course suggestions can be made, and it is up to sony to decide if and when to implement them...

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@nyc05: I agree with you I don't care anymore about backwards compatible either. Sony gas taken so long to provide it and I rather have upgraded games to ps4 like GTA 5 and last of us although I played both of them on ps3.

Personally, I agree with the resume play promised to us along with mp3 and customizing the main screen. This new update coming soon doesn't seem to address any of these things but more online functionality.

Back to BC I don't care about this mainly because you have to play plus I have gotten my fill of ps3 games anymore and want the next gen games... period.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

Anyone remember when the PS3 first hit the scene in 2006? Its hardware was fully backwards-compatible with the PS2 & PS1, but it added considerable expense (an extra $100) to the unit and people complained and whined incessantly. Despite its own lack of backwards-compatibility and the lack of Blu-ray, everyone praised the 360 to high heaven for being $100 dollars cheaper. It sold like hotcakes out of the starting gate and people fawned over it like a gaggle of starstruck preadolescent schoolgirls....and all this despite the 360's extraordinarily high failure rate (just goes to show you how absolutely dumb the average American consumer is. They'll buy the Brooklyn bridge over and over again if everyone else is doing it).

So, here we are, eight years later, with Sony seeming learning from its earlier mistakes and producing a new console for $100 less than its competition....and people are still complaining and whining. You can't have it both ways. Backwards-compatibility will come to the PS4, but now we'll have to wait for it. It won't be as perfect as a hardware solution would have been, but it won't be as expensive either. We're only in year one of what will probably be an 8-10 year lifespan for the PS4. Before it's all over I'm sure the PS4 will enhance its functionality greatly. Just be patient.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I can only imagine they're holding off till E3 to announce these missing features. I'm okay with no significant updates the first half a year or so, but if they don't show by E3 they're working on it--then I'd be disappointed. PS+ has been great, so far, though.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@@@tendoboy1984:

Yes it's a little frustrating that Sony hasn't addressed these issues yet, but calm down those features will be added eventually!

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Not having BC doesn't really make that much of a difference. I kept my ps3 for the few games I want to play, and I don't care if it doesn't run facebook or those apps, I have a computer and a phone, don't need that on my Gaming Device.

Also, how many consoles really have BC? I feel like most throughout history haven't had it, why is it such an issue now?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Just like the PS3 was missing a lot of things at launch, the PS4 will continue to improve. Not as fast as the Xbox One has been doling out updates, but then again, I think that the PS3 had several lengthy updates, and they are waiting to bundle numerous changes together to make the updates less frequent. Hope they add YouTube soon. That app is sorely lacking on the PS4.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clr84651

@rgsniper1 said:

@clr84651: Remember back when Sony got so much praise for being free when it came to all that stuff. Times have changed.

yup, free online, able to play mp3 music on PS3 for free, free themes, free Backwards compatibility. Now it's pay to play online, pay to play music, no theme support, and pay to play PS3 games on PS4. If theme support comes, I'm sure it will be only buy them from PSN.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

It needs to churn out games at a faster pace, 7 million consoles sold and all people have to buy is call of duty and fifa.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Gaikai Playstation now streaming service will provide backwards compatibility for PS4 with PS3 games. And eventually PS2 and PS1.

Or maybe sideways compatibility since you will have to pay a monthly fee to stream PS3/PS2/PS1 games on the PS4. Even if the fee was just $10.00 per month for unlimited gameplay. You have to "rebuy" your old PS3 games again.

Playstation now is due this summer for PS4. hopefully it works as intended.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@tendoboy1984 said:

What if your next Android smartphone couldn't use all your old apps, and you had to rebuy everything all over again? Would you be satisfied with that?

mate... stop talking about things you don't understand please.

There is a reason X1 and PS4 cannot do this, older consoles use to include chipsets that could play the older consoles... back when consoles were less complex... to do that now, you would be paying £450 for a PS4 and £500 for an X1 instead of £350 ect. simply the same reason the PS3 newer models stopped offering PS2 backwards compatibility.

Comparing phone Operating systems, to consoles with very different architectures is beyond ignorant.

Simply put. PS4/X1 are designed like PCs... same architecture, PS3 was its own complex power PC concept that would require its own hardware to be inside the PS4.

Good new sthough, in theory. the PS5/X2 should be able to play PS4/X1 games if they continue to use PC standard hardware.... just as PCs can run all past games.

like others have said though. rumours of PS1/PS2 emulation (possible on PS4.... since they are old and easily emulated without additional hardware) ... and Playstation NOW is coming in summer that will offer games streaming of PS3 games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

It needs to churn out games at a faster pace, 7 million consoles sold and all people have to buy is call of duty and fifa.

You assume popularity of the product means games come faster .... 7 million EARLY ADOPTERS are just that. games can't be developed faster (while maintaining quality) ... that is not Sonys or the developers faults...

Ironically... the PS4/X1 have had the best launch line up ever... having more high quality games than any of the previous generations in their 6 month window.

I've been playing Resogun, Mercenary Kings, Infamous Second Son, Killzone, Assassins Creed: Black Flag and now Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn .... pleanty to play for now.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Terrencec06 said:

the OS was rushed to get it out early..... To be honest they are taking forever with these updates. Xbox One has had several updates since release and they keep coming. Sony is dropping the ball on this one. Oh well, I just play games.

I agree on this one, What are Sony doing over there system updates are way to far and few between and the little ones we've had haven't even dented what MS have been doing with there updates, i think there letting themselves down

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

So let me get this straight.... You made a $400 purchase without reading into it, and now you're upset because it can't play PS3 games.

Hey, have you heard of the Playstation 3? It's pretty kewl. Plays PS3 games.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

PS3's are cheap as chips these days, and all those games for it are even cheaper. No better time to buy one than now.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@k--m--k: No it's not just a matter of time. Ps4 is not a powerful enough console to emulate a PS3. The only way you will see ps3 games on ps4 is Playstation Now.

vkdjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vkdjk
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

yeah that's what's an update mean right! Win a PS4 here

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@tendoboy1984 said:

Vita can play digital PSP games, but PS4 can't play PS3 games. Why would Sony make one system BC but the other one not?

If they'd wanted to maintain bc they would've had to design the PS4 with the similar clusterf*ck of an architecture design as the PS3.

Thankfully they didn't. If you want to play PS3 games, do like me and use a Playstation 3â„¢.