Digital Copy vs. Physical Disc Game

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

Which type do you prefer, Physical Copy of a game or Digital Copy? I only get digital if its a game I will play for a long time or over and over again.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Physical. I'm a big collector of boxed games.

If I can get it boxed, I will buy it boxed. If not, then I'm happy to get it on PSN, but I prefer downloadable games to be cheap. $30 or less is fine. Exceptions made on a case by case basis.

lacmicmcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By lacmicmcd
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

Physical. You can trade it, sell it, use it as a mirror, use it as a imaginary ninja star when someone busts in your room, collect it, regive it to your little cousin, admire the stack of games you have acquired etc... Digital is just convenient for when both legs are broken and you cant find a driver.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@lacmicmcd: that was corney just like your foolish comments about me returning my watchdog. You proove to me that physical games are better just for what I did. Play the system by returning a game getting full refund then deciding to get the game again. None of this could be done on a digital copy which you ate screwed if the game sucks. I have no idea why people are preodering games like uncharted( which I would be shocked I f its not a winner) but never the less it's still a yr away.

Does Psn take out your wallet preorders immediately and you can't get the money back?

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ewalthour

@Lhomity: I agree to only want digital when it's cheap games and only digital on Psn but in the $10-15 range

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

With the lack of competition driving prices on digital goods down, piss poor policies on download limits and the always sketchy future on backwards compatibility and ownership issues digital is a last resort. I purchased a few titles off of PSN last gen and articulated something of a defense for doing so on this forum but after starting up a Blu-Ray collection I've had a change of heart.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Physical without a doubt. Games are not cheaper digitally nor are they more convinient because you have to download all of them and delete them if you have a full disc

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22368 Posts

Definitely physical.

Only time I'd buy a digital copy is if it's a smaller title, or it's significantly cheaper (which is usually never the case).

lacmicmcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lacmicmcd

@ewalthour: Actually, I believe it's not "CORNY" nor "FOOLISH" to have a different opinion. I'm just stating all reasons why I feel like physical copies are better than digital. I also don't throw $60 video games like ninja stars either.. but I'm not saying if someone wanted to, they can't. I have no problems with trading in a game, but I won't trade in 2 games to preorder a game... then return the game.. then buy a pre-owned version to trade it in again, and then buy the game a second time. Which I felt made your ordeal have zero sense; why not just keep the f*cker or keep your $60 from the first return? If you can't take people criticizing your decisions or engaging in debate over an issue, don't post on a public forum.

But thanks for solidifying my point... if you want to TRADE IN THE SAME F^CKING GAME 20 times, albeit. Just another reason why I feel physical games are better than digital.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

physical

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ewalthour

@lacmicmcd: I will probably keep the game this time because if i don't return it tomorrow then it will be pass the 7 days. But the point is I can do what the F*&* i want with my games and my life. I have schizo with this damn game with making up my mind if i want it because of all the negative views I had with it such as bad inconsistent graphics, bad story. The game has a great idea with the hacking and being a original IP but it wasn't executed well with polish. The hacking works well but the overall game doesn't feel polished even after 6 months delay. Example, everyone is praising drive club compared to what it look like last yr. The delay for drive club is obviously improved in every way. Now drive club could be the best driver this yr even with stiff competition.

Gamers that believe in physical copies and trading game etc should be the last person to judge how i do my business. If this was GTA 5 or some other great 10/10 game then I can see why they would be irritated why I would return this game then get it back again.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm in the middle so I could go either way....it all depends on the situation.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

All digital all the way.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

If the digital title is adequately priced I have no problem in choosing that option. It's actually quite convenient to play any of your games at the touch of a button, but unfortunately the ridiculous pricing of most digital titles means disc versions are often a better option.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Physical till the day im forced to go all digital (if that ever comes)

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#16 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

physical all the way.. you dont have to worry about the servers being down in the future and the ability to download and play your game then is gone..

also collection. prefer having a nice library of games i can look at and admire, all the money and time i wasted playing videogames :p

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@hitmanactual said:

If the digital title is adequately priced I have no problem in choosing that option. It's actually quite convenient to play any of your games at the touch of a button, but unfortunately the ridiculous pricing of most digital titles means disc versions are often a better option.

Agreed and that's why I'm on the fence about this topic. With my PS4,PS3 and 360 combined, about 50% of my gaming collection is digital. I would really like to go all digital but other then it being convenient, it's no real benefit because your not getting it at a discounted price.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

I generally go with what's cheaper. if it's a newly released game then that's probably digital since there's no tax on the store. but older games get cheap pretty quick on amazon, while price drops take much longer on psn

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Just like every generation, Physical copies is what I prefer.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

@HitmanActual yea, completely agreed.

I only buy digitals when the price drops and is cheaper than Physical.

BackInMyDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BackInMyDay
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

Physical. Can resell and if company goes under I still have my game.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I prefer physical, because I can always trade it in for credit if I want to.

If a physical copy was $60 & the digital was $40 or less, I would buy the digital. Most games are the same for either one.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

Digital should cost just slightly more than half of the physical copy. Until we reach Steam level prices I will only play physical games unless I get them from PS+.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i prefer digital as i am working and do not like to bother with going to a shop to purchase a game... :)

well, i guess i am lazy in that department... :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@marcheegsr said:

Physical till the day im forced to go all digital (if that ever comes)

Same and with digital copies, you can't get the awesome Collectors Editions for games

robdacool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robdacool
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

Physical of course. Most guys are scared they'd meet someone if they had to go to the mall and buy a game :P

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ewalthour

@The_Last_Ride: the day physical copies are gone is the day I stop playing video games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@ewalthour said:

@The_Last_Ride: the day physical copies ate gone is the Fay I stop playing video games.

OH come on dude, it's not going to be that bad

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ewalthour

@The_Last_Ride: whatever...I want options and so far i dont see the luxury of having a digital only game. Case and point I have valiant heart and the game froze 2 or 3 times in the middle of playing and I had to go back to save point. This is due to a shakey server where as a physical copy normally want do that in single player unless you are playing online. Imagine the head ache if your digital disc get corrupted and you have to deal with Sony. Yes I guess you can delete disc and reinstall but that still may cause problems.

My biggest issue is the price is the same. Ok you save taxes, who cares. I want $10 off digital copies. Sony saving a sh** load of money not having to use distribution to stores. Maybe sony has to spend more for stable servers...oh they are getting that from Psn members.

death4us2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By death4us2
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

Whatever is cheaper is my preference lol also it depends on the game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer Physical disc

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

A lot of times physical, but I'll do digital if it's cheap.

Rookerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rookerman

Personally for me, I love to have the actually cases. Love to show them off on my gaming shelf.

James11222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By James11222
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Physical disks !

but buying is too expensive so I rent it.

Buying a game is only a good idea if you tend to keep the game.It's a given that selling the game after playing it will lose money. Downloaded games really have no resale as far as I know.

Renting the game is a convenient alternative. Works out fine since I keep the game only for a couple of months and return it. Costs only a fraction of the price of the new game.

Most of the big rental stores are closed.If you don't have a local small rental store with a decent selection of games, there are online rental sites for games.

Check out :

Gamefly.com for US only, somewhat expensive !.I think they also have downloads.

MyChoiceVideo Canada based, but supplies US and Canada. I'm with them as I'm Canadian. Great selection and pricing. Overall works fine. Probably adds a day or so to the US, I don't know but should be no biggie. Console games for PS4, etc. no PC games or downloads, just console game rentals

I'm not into downloads as such.

FWIW.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Digital for PC games, and Physical for consoles.

Obvious reasons, digital games on PC are very well priced, there not on console. Physical copies on console are sometimes cheaper which baffles me

mysticaura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mysticaura
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Mostly physical for the obvious reasons, can trade them, sell them or do whatever you want with the physical media. There is only one really good thing about digital which I haven't heard anyone mention, you don't have to change out the disks to play a different game and when your handicap that is actually something to consider. So digital does have that one advantage to me.

Avatar image for bloodkinqturkey
BLooDKinqTURKEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BLooDKinqTURKEY
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

I think physical disk better than digital because sometime digital datas are delete and this is very bad status because it happened to me

My bf3 is deleted and I again started BF3 MP

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I will always choose physical media over download any day. As a couple examples, I bought RE Remake HD last Feb and now that Origins Collection is coming and has it on disc, I'm buying that as it's still the best in the series.

Another example, in order to guarantee a physical copy of Shenmue 3, I donated to the kickstarter.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

when digital is cheaper, I will switch. You would think a digital copy would save a nice piece of money for a company. but the price is still the same as physical.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Physical. I have about 50-60 games for my PS3, of which the vast majority (~50-55) are physical. My PS4 came with a digital download for TLOU Remastered, but my other 12 games for it are physical. I like something tangible. It's always fun getting a game for my birthday or Christmas. And it's always fun picking a game out at the store, paying for it, going home and unwrapping the packaging and putting it in your system for the first time. You just don't get the feels with digital downloads. Also, digital games take centuries to download on PS4. Physical discs take much less time since the game data just needs to be installed onto the HDD.

NC-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NC-Unit
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I'm a bit of both worlds in a ways. I rather have physical hard copies of the game because I am a collector and have quite a collection constantly building but that's more for display. I trust very few people to handle my games and always get a hard time since I NEVER lend games. I do also have a very large collection of digital games as well. (Wii mainly) Digital loads faster, runs smoother, cant get scratched or damaged, (Not counting Data Corruption) ETC. And that's why I on both sides. If i could, I would have digital copies of my games and never touch the physical games again. Just display them.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Physical every time.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

Physical, I could either way though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Now that my ISP download times are acceptable? Digital. Back when my download times were 1 MB/sec or less, I preferred physical.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@thegamingjunkie: Whichever is cheapest.

Games especially on consoles are more expensive than ever. Shaving off the £/$ on each one is more important. I'm actually at the stage where I will not buy a game if it is more expensive than £40.

Like the 12 days of Christmas PSN sale. It is utter crap. Mad Max gets a 40% price cut and is STILL more expensive than Amazon. Buying digital games outside of SERIOUSLY big price cuts is just out of the question.

Metal Gear Solid V got a 50% price cut and was on sale for £30! That means it was £60 to start with! WHO IN THE LOVE OF GOD is going to pay that?!

I'm happy to pay out more for games I really want. I was willing to get Fallout 4 for £40 for example. But I managed to get it on Black Friday for £29.99. From Amazon. There wasn't any digital sale which came close to that.

Frankly I know digital is more convenient and I do think it will take over eventually but anyone who is willing to pay the current PSN prices for games is out of the fucking mind and needs to see a therapist.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Hard copy all the way. I don't mind digital games if they're small size. 2D beat em up type of games or shoot em up I'm fine with being digital only. They don't take too much HDD space and you can have a bunch on your system without losing a good chunk of memory. With full games, I prefer the hard copy since video games now range around 80+ gigs. Depending on the game, you can lose a huge chunk of memory space with only a handful of games, and I am no fan of the uninstalling/reinstalling cycle. I don't want to lose time doing that shit when I can just pop a game in the disc drive and start playing. Oh yeah, it's 2015. Goddamn updates...

elax92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By elax92
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

Physical. I like to put all the discs in a tub and take a game bath(i have broken SO many games over the years)

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Digital for PC, physical for console/handheld.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@lensflare15 said:

The Christ?

Handheld?

Why on earth would you want physical for handheld?

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@lensflare15 said:

The Christ?

Handheld?

Why on earth would you want physical for handheld?

Um, why not? I like collecting games for the PSP, Vita, Gameboy, etc. Getting the physical copies saves me from having to keep buying memory cards too, since I get a lot of games for most of my handhelds. What exactly is so weird about that?