Did RE5 feel dumbed down to anyone else?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

I loved the game but compared to RE4 it feels a little dumbed down. You can replay chapters, keep items after dying, start off with max health, can't combine treasures... Basically it's not as challenging as it could be. I felt the same way about MGS4. It's like the developers are scared to alienate anyone. I guess the mass market approach consumes everyone except the smaller guys, like Atlus

Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
I also think this. I don't like the idea of having a shop in games like these.
Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
Especially when the shops are completely out of place. And when you can buy and sell things by pressing start.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Hmm I am starting to be glad that I did not spend 60 bucks on this game.So far all I have heard is the game is easier than past RE games,it is shorter that RE4.I love Resident evil but I am not buying a game that is shorter and easier than the past ones for full price....No matter how long I have been waiting.
gedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gedo
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Hmm I am starting to be glad that I did not spend 60 bucks on this game.So far all I have heard is the game is easier than past RE games,it is shorter that RE4.I love Resident evil but I am not buying a game that is shorter and easier than the past ones for full price....No matter how long I have been waiting.K1LLR3175
Man don't worry, take the dip. I played it for about 1.5 hours yesterday and only got past the first two chapters (1-1, 1-2) there are up to chapter (6-3). So take your time with it and to say the truth it's a lovely game. Even my wife was staying just to watch what's going to happen.
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
the only complaint i have is the lack of story elements. Im half way through the game and all that i know is that im chris redfield and i have a gun and i need to find jill and that (SPOILERS******************************************************************************************************************************************************************* tricell is feeding africans las plagas
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]Hmm I am starting to be glad that I did not spend 60 bucks on this game.So far all I have heard is the game is easier than past RE games,it is shorter that RE4.I love Resident evil but I am not buying a game that is shorter and easier than the past ones for full price....No matter how long I have been waiting.gedo
Man don't worry, take the dip. I played it for about 1.5 hours yesterday and only got past the first two chapters (1-1, 1-2) there are up to chapter (6-3). So take your time with it and to say the truth it's a lovely game. Even my wife was staying just to watch what's going to happen.

I mean I will buy it cause I have the other RE games,but when it is about 30-40 bucks.
cdx00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cdx00
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts

This game is shaping up to be god awful. I'm almost pleased now that I rolled my fully paid off pre-order to inFAMOUS. I liked RE4, but if what everyone is saying about this game is true, it's definitely not worth full price. Horrid controls, lackluster story, zero replay value -- hmph. What has the RE series gone to? Ahhh, the mass market. I see. It doesn't take intellect to run around, totting a gun.

elquesogrande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elquesogrande
Member since 2009 • 71 Posts

This game is shaping up to be god awful. I'm almost pleased now that I rolled my fully paid off pre-order to inFAMOUS. I liked RE4, but if what everyone is saying about this game is true, it's definitely not worth full price. Horrid controls, lackluster story, zero replay value -- hmph. What has the RE series gone to? Ahhh, the mass market. I see. It doesn't take intellect to run around, totting a gun.

cdx00
Right then - for me - RE5 IS AN AWESOME GAME!! It looks good - sounds good - plays well - the bosses are fun fun fun and the character animation is amazing.......the only problem is that it is just so far away from what the RE series started out as. But if you read reviews of Nemesis and Code Veronica, you'll see that they get a bit of flack for sticking to the old formula. As far as zero replay value goes i would say that its a keeper just like RE4. Hello - Mercenaries? How many hours have i spent with my friends shooting of zombie faces off with my pimped up shotgun? Resident evil has evolved into something else. Never forget the original mansion or Racoon city police department but the new look resi stands up for me.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]Hmm I am starting to be glad that I did not spend 60 bucks on this game.So far all I have heard is the game is easier than past RE games,it is shorter that RE4.I love Resident evil but I am not buying a game that is shorter and easier than the past ones for full price....No matter how long I have been waiting.gedo

Absolutely! despite what has been said I still think it's an absolute gem of a game. Granted it doesn't last 60-100 hrs but, it lasts as long as a game like this should. Has great graphics, haunting soundtrack, easy gameplay, and thestory keeps you intrigued chapter after chapter. Plus, you have the online mode and can play with another player (and this is going to rhyme) which adds yet another layer to an already great game. Adventure game of the year in my book.

burns112233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 burns112233
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts

This game is really awesome the boss fights are pretty good. Especially the Irving fight on the boat. I feel sorry for the people who don't get this game because one or two people told them it was bad they probably don't even own the game themselves.

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts

Oh yeah it is definitely a great game, but it's just not what you would truly expect from a RE game. But if you are judging the game based on its own merits, you would definitely enjoy it, especially the co-op aspect. It doesn't get any better than that. As far as judging it as a RE game, it just lacks what the others have, survival horror. On normal you won't ever find yourself running out of ammo or having to conserve anything really like in past games. Plus there is no jump out of your seat moments that past RE games had. The story was also a little lackluster to me, as there are really no surprises. Other than that though, gameplay is extremely fun, the unlockables are plenty, and I have not been able to put it down since I got it.
JGINQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JGINQ
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

I hate.. repeat, hate that I have to agree with this thread.

I got into RE late, I played RE4 cuz a buddy of mine kept saying how awesome it was back in the day. I played the heck out of it on my PS2 and I loved it. Enter RE5 - the hype was huge, and from what was on the net, it seemed poised to be just as awesome as what was before it.

Now as of last night, I'm on chapter 4-2. I played over weekend and a bit last night, what I can tell you is this - it doesn't feel right. It does feel dumbed down, watered down if you will. I'm playing it on normal (I really should have played it on a higher difficulty), but there just don't seem to be enough enemies. Not only that, there are like NO variety in the zombies at all. Not like how RE4 gave you different types of zombies and monsters and that was exciting.

Furthermore, what's up with the ammo?? Is it just me, or does it seems like there's never enough ammo? Now I know all about ammo conservation - I know how to save ammo and scrounge around for it. In RE4, the ammo availability was just right - you always had ammo, but only just enough of it. Here, I'm always at a loss. And it's not because of Sheva - I only let her use the Beretta and HK while I use the SVD and shotty and we're just always out of ammo.

Ahhh well... I guess it's not all that bad. It's just these few things that make me feel it's gimped.

ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts

RE5 sucks compared to RE1 and RE2

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

I agree. It's a REALLY fun game to both play and to look at. Mercenaries is incredible.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

cdx00

Okay I can handle the "horrid controls" and "lackluster story" but if there was one thing RE5 is not short of that is REPLAY VALUE! I mean honestly, every single gun is upgradable, there's a points are unlocking extras, The Mercenaries mode, co-op, and there's some other stuff I've forgot too. RE4 had more replay value but RE5 is not short on it.

soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soyt_llusala
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts

The game is good and action packed. In just few minutes of playing it I get used to the games controls. Moreover, when playing any game there is always a learning curve for the controls so why complain for it when its not that hard. I played RE4 and I liked the control of RE5 more than RE4.

Heres what I liked about the controls

• Smooth aiming compared to RE4
  • 180 degree turn
  • Quick inventory
  • Fire using R1 button is like firing a real gun (That is why this kind of button mapping is widely used in games that uses guns such as Resistance, GTA4, Killzone2).
  • Stop and shoot scheme is an RE way of playing (We should not complain about it this is not Dead Space nor Uncharted this is RE).

There are also game features in RE5 that I liked such as

• Having a partner means strategize for both (watching its back while fighting and emptying its ammo is challenging fun)
  • Mounting on a Machine Gun or Rail Gun.
  • Riding at the back of a Humvee gunning down zombie like creatures and boss fights
  • Riding a Hovercraft
  • Less exploring more enemy
CrazyAl92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrazyAl92
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

really??? so you wont get it just because the game is short and it is easier (which isnt).... let me tell you something if your a fan of the series then get it i recommand you. ooo and yes the game is shorter then RE4, but hey the game is awesome.

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

I am up to chapter 5-3 so far great game. Some of the best action cut scenes i have seen and great boss battles and it somehow still feels like RE!!!

Mattizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Mattizzle815
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Whatever happened to having to conserve your bullets and picking your battles like the early RE games... Its more like an action game than a survival horror, but I still think its fun

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

I loved the game but compared to RE4 it feels a little dumbed down. You can replay chapters, keep items after dying

istuffedsunny
Whats stopping you from going in with just a stun rod? You don't NEED to use all the items you've got in the previous playthrough
Afylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Afylan
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

I loved the game but compared to RE4 it feels a little dumbed down. You can replay chapters, keep items after dying, start off with max health, can't combine treasures... Basically it's not as challenging as it could be. I felt the same way about MGS4. It's like the developers are scared to alienate anyone. I guess the mass market approach consumes everyone except the smaller guys, like Atlus

istuffedsunny
You don't necessarily start agagin with max health, vary perhaps. Try Professional mode without unliminited ammo.
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

i didn't play RE5 but in MGS4 why dont you try the extreme dificulty and killing everyone only with the tranquilizer gun :)

VgFanatic78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VgFanatic78
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
RE5 is not actually dumbed down but rather just shorter and more laxed in terms of options and weapon upgradability. I don't believe that it's easier just that the infinite ammo option and the faster real time weapon access and the money glitch makes it easier. Just try playing it on the hardest difficulty without coming from a saved game, not using the glitch, and with bare non upgraded weapons and arguably it's even harder than RE4. RE5 is definitely not as serious or as fresh an experience than re4 when it came out, but it's still a blast to play with and it will take lots of time if you want to fully upgrade every weapon and goodies. (",)
Benjiman_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Benjiman_Guile
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
The puzzles were too easy and obvious.
Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

I also think this. I don't like the idea of having a shop in games like these.mr_so_evil
Your sig's arrows are backwards.