Did my PS3 just die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

User Lists: 0

#1 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'm playing on a 60 gig midel, if that helps.

I was playing a game, and after a few minutes (maybe 10 at the most,) the screen just went dead, and the green light turned red and started blinking. I hit the power button, and it turned solid red, indicating that the system is off. But it won't turn back on. when I hit power, the light goes green for a second, and then it starts blinking red again. It can't even eject my disc from the system.

Is my system dead, and if so, is there a way I can recover my save files? Most are backed up, it's just 1 in particular I need.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Given that you have a PS3 60giger. Your PS3 may have given up the ghost and died. Let your console cool overnight and in the morning try to recover the save file that you need. Transfer your data to another HDD. Fat32 is what you should make sure the transfer drive is formatted to. Good luck. Sorry that your PS3 died. But it seems that is what happened.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Yeah, you got Yellow Light of Death. Welcome to the club. :cry:
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

This is different. YLOD is not the same problem as Red blinking light. Red blinking light is a hardware failure. Same thing happened to my launch 60gb and it turned out it was the motherboard that was fried so my system was a goner. But it could be any number of problems. Give it a day or so to rest and try again. Just hit the eject button to turn it on and hope it spits the game out. It could be any number of problems though. The power source, the motherboard like me, the fan died. Really anything that has a moving part could have gone. It sucks, but but it happens. As for your saved files, they are gone unless you get your system fixed by a shop or something outside of Sony. Because no matter the problem, if Sony gets their hands on the system they clear the HDD.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

This is different. YLOD is not the same problem as Red blinking light. Red blinking light is a hardware failure. Same thing happened to my launch 60gb and it turned out it was the motherboard that was fried so my system was a goner. But it could be any number of problems. Give it a day or so to rest and try again. Just hit the eject button to turn it on and hope it spits the game out. It could be any number of problems though. The power source, the motherboard like me, the fan died. Really anything that has a moving part could have gone. It sucks, but but it happens. As for your saved files, they are gone unless you get your system fixed by a shop or something outside of Sony. Because no matter the problem, if Sony gets their hands on the system they clear the HDD.

Dysantic
It is. Mine would turn on, flash yellow, then blink red and turn off. This happened months ago and it never worked again.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

When it sits and stays flashing yellow, its the YLOD. When it settles at flashing red its the RLOD or whatever you may want to call it.

YLOD = heating issue. Like most people know, your fan is constricted and your system is overheating from the thermal paste drying out.

RLOD = hardware issue. Something went wrong with your system. Like I said before, it could be the fan, motherboard, blu-ray drive, power supply, etc.

Two very distinct and different problems everyone just seems to lump together as the same problem... They are very different. I've had both happen to my system. But they both require someone that knows what they are doing to assess and fix if you want to go that route.