Deus Ex Human Revolution worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -

hey i just beat dragonborn and im looking for a new good game to get into. i heard a lot of good things about this game. just got some questions though. they say you can play different styles, like stealth and guns blazing. but what about like stealth assassin? meaning going through every level stealthily killing everyone. is this a viable playstyle? i like stealth but sometimes i just feel like i miss out when i go through the whole level without killing anyone, but at the same time i don't want to go complete mayhem. i feel like it's the best combination of both styles and how i enjoy playing.

also, are the graphics really that bad? ive heard they look pretty crappy, like blocky kinda NPCs and stuff. does it take away from the characters/story? i really value good graphics in a game and this one seems kinda outdated, but im willing to look past if it has a good story and gameplay.

how long is this game? main quests and sidequests included? i'm looking for a good long rpg with a good story. i was thinking of getting two worlds 2 but it the gameplay looks pretty weak and most ppl say its just a poor mans skyrim or something. i heard Deus Ex is kinda like mass effect, and mass effect series are my favourite games this gen.

i don't like FPS games unless it's multiplayer like halo or COD or something, but im willing to try this since honestly i just can't really find any other games i'm interested in these days. this feels like the only game worth playing that i haven't already played yet.

#2 Posted by CTR360 (7388 posts) -
DEUS ex its fantatic game go for it one of the best games this gen for me
#3 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
Every playstyle is viable. You can sneak through and no one will ever know you were there. You can walz in and leave a trail of blood and emptied ammo clips. The horror movie style of making one person after another disappear without anyone realizing the cause is also possible of course. Graphics bad? Who said that? They are not on the highest level of it's time but everything looks smooth and clean. The fashion style in there includes a lot of sharp edges but that's a design choice, not bad graphics. Playtime... was about 12 hours I think. But since the many possibllities invite to at least 3 playthroughs you can count a 30, probably more.
#4 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

The game is very good go for it.

#5 Posted by marcheegsr (3002 posts) -

Amazing game man. I spent many many hours playing this game. One of my favourite this gen.

#6 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
Yes.
#7 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

It's a long game with decent graphics and a tonne of variety to how you approach your objectives. Worth it? Definitely.

#8 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
I would recommend it and it is pretty inexpensive. And if you like Dishonored or Bioshock, what are you waiting for?
#9 Posted by gregbmil (2629 posts) -

Yes, it is a great game.   One of my favorite.   It also has some of the best music I've heard in a game.    Pushing start on the main screen never gets old:)

#10 Posted by beanz777 (156 posts) -

Tl;dr

Deus ex HR is really good. If you're into stealth games then definitely give it a go. I had so much fun playing it

#11 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

Deus ex: HR is worth it's original $60 price tag, it's been $20 new for some time. Buy it, one of the best games this gen. 

#12 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

YES. One of the best games I have played this generation.

#13 Posted by supa_badman (16662 posts) -

It's a great game, but just realize that the game seems to favor stealth more. All guns blazing is an option, but you'll get your sh!t wrecked sometimes, especially on 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty

#14 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

It's a great game, but just realize that the game seems to favor stealth more. All guns blazing is an option, but you'll get your sh!t wrecked sometimes, especially on 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty

supa_badman

I didn't go pacifist at all. I just killed and dragged bodies away.

#15 Posted by Ace_of_Spades90 (775 posts) -

supa_badman

To add on to what supa_badman was saying, boss fights are also one of very few cons of Deus Ex Human Revolution. You're more or less coerced into going against the bosses which, contrary to the game's "play how you like mentality," mostly consists of a gunfight. I've always been one to favor stealth over shooting, so I found this to be - not quite game breaking - but annoying. Fortunately, if boss fights ever become too difficult for you then you can always change the difficulty on the fly.

That being said, Human Revolution is an amazing game in that it's atmosphere and story will resonate with you long after the game is over. Most of that is attributed to the fact that the issues presented in the game pertains to most of the general population in real life - pollution, ethical debates over tampering with the human body, etc. The story is very adult; it's not afraid to hold back, and I appreciated that. The game play itself is refreshing, as it's open-ended, meaning that many situations have multiple solutions, thus providing incentive for replay value. Next up are the rpg elements, which are really awesome because they provide a sense that we're gradually growing stronger through augmentations (which ties in with the story). Augementations also provide plenty of replay value as it's almost impossible to access every single augmentation.

But yeah, Deus Ex is well worth the sixty dollars. It's around twenty or so dollars now which is a steal. Get it. You won't regret it.

#16 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -

Yes. It's one of the best games this gen and offers lots of options on how to play it. It also has a lot of replayability if your into to doing no kill playthorughs or no alarms. I did a no kill/no alarm run first and a stealthy assassin run as you described next.

#17 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

Ace_of_Spades90

To add on to what supa_badman was saying, boss fights are also one of very few cons of Deus Ex Human Revolution. You're more or less coerced into going against the bosses which, contrary to the game's "play how you like mentality," mostly consists of a gunfight. I've always been one to favor stealth over shooting, so I found this to be - not quite game breaking - but annoying. Fortunately, if boss fights ever become too difficult for you then you can always change the difficulty on the fly.

That being said, Human Revolution is an amazing game in that it's atmosphere and story will resonate with you long after the game is over. Most of that is attributed to the fact that the issues presented in the game pertains to most of the general population in real life - pollution, ethical debates over tampering with the human body, etc. The story is very adult; it's not afraid to hold back, and I appreciated that. The game play itself is refreshing, as it's open-ended, meaning that many situations have multiple solutions, thus providing incentive for replay value. Next up are the rpg elements, which are really awesome because they provide a sense that we're gradually growing stronger through augmentations (which ties in with the story). Augementations also provide plenty of replay value as it's almost impossible to access every single augmentation.

But yeah, Deus Ex is well worth the sixty dollars. It's around twenty or so dollars now which is a steal. Get it. You won't regret it.

Boss fights were incredibly easy after the first one. Just make sure you have the Typhoon Explosive System augmentation. 2 or 3 of those will take down bosses in less than 15 seconds.

#18 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -

hey i ended up getting the game. got a question though. i finished the tutorial level and arrived at the sarif industries place. when it comes to these kinda games i like to take my time and explore stuff. so i went around and talked to everyone and stuff. then when i started the first main mission when you have to go the helipad my boss told me 8 hostages got killed cuz i took too long or something, wtf?

is this like a re-occuring thing or something? this is an rpg after all and i like to take my time and explore to find items and xp and all that. if anything id think they encourage that type of thing in this game. but if it's at the cost of innocent ppl dieing and stuff then that really sucks. i tried to reload but i guess im screwed cuz i took too long. i usually play a good guy type of character (paragon shephard all the way lol).

so my question is, does this game continue to do this? i hate time limit type of stuff when it comes to games, especially rpgs. im thinking about just starting new game and going there faster now so the hostages don't die. but if this is a re-occuring thing then i guess ill play like an evil dude and not give a crap about ppl and stuff cuz i can't imagine playing this game in a constant rush. i don't get it.

#19 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
No, that's the only instance of that. During the levels you can take as long as you want; and some of them get pretty large towards the end. Oh yeah, and that scene in the helicopter when you're given a choice between a pistol and the electro-thingy, get the electro-thingy. Not only is it great for non-lethal, but it's also VERY handy against security cameras and you don't have to waste an EMP grenade.
#20 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]No, that's the only instance of that. During the levels you can take as long as you want; and some of them get pretty large towards the end. Oh yeah, and that scene in the helicopter when you're given a choice between a pistol and the electro-thingy, get the electro-thingy. Not only is it great for non-lethal, but it's also VERY handy against security cameras and you don't have to waste an EMP grenade.

okay so just to confirm, this is the only time that i'm penalized for taking too long exploring? if so that is good news. i guess ill start a new game and try and save them. oh and the helicopter scene the guy offered me a pistol or a combat rifle. what electro thing are you talking about, is that the combat rifle?
#21 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

hey i ended up getting the game. got a question though. i finished the tutorial level and arrived at the sarif industries place. when it comes to these kinda games i like to take my time and explore stuff. so i went around and talked to everyone and stuff. then when i started the first main mission when you have to go the helipad my boss told me 8 hostages got killed cuz i took too long or something, wtf?

is this like a re-occuring thing or something? this is an rpg after all and i like to take my time and explore to find items and xp and all that. if anything id think they encourage that type of thing in this game. but if it's at the cost of innocent ppl dieing and stuff then that really sucks. i tried to reload but i guess im screwed cuz i took too long. i usually play a good guy type of character (paragon shephard all the way lol).

so my question is, does this game continue to do this? i hate time limit type of stuff when it comes to games, especially rpgs. im thinking about just starting new game and going there faster now so the hostages don't die. but if this is a re-occuring thing then i guess ill play like an evil dude and not give a crap about ppl and stuff cuz i can't imagine playing this game in a constant rush. i don't get it.

idunnodude

Remember that no one hase to die (except bosses)...this will important later if you care about saving everyone.

#22 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]No, that's the only instance of that. During the levels you can take as long as you want; and some of them get pretty large towards the end. Oh yeah, and that scene in the helicopter when you're given a choice between a pistol and the electro-thingy, get the electro-thingy. Not only is it great for non-lethal, but it's also VERY handy against security cameras and you don't have to waste an EMP grenade.idunnodude
okay so just to confirm, this is the only time that i'm penalized for taking too long exploring? if so that is good news. i guess ill start a new game and try and save them. oh and the helicopter scene the guy offered me a pistol or a combat rifle. what electro thing are you talking about, is that the combat rifle?

That is not entirely true. There will be another situation where someone will die you don't act fast enough. There will be no no time to assess the situation or look around...

#23 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
oh and the helicopter scene the guy offered me a pistol or a combat rifle. what electro thing are you talking about, is that the combat rifle?idunnodude
:lol: Oh damn, now I'm confused. It's been a while since I played. I believe it's whatever he says is the non-lethal approach. 'Cause he offers you two choices: Lethal or non-lethal. Pick the non-lethal choice and that's the electro weapon thing...I think :cool: Or maybe you get it later on? Sh*t, I don't know now! I know it looks like a little taser device and it's yellow. Whenever you get that, THAT'S the one that's awesome against cameras :lol:
#24 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"][QUOTE="Kravyn81"]No, that's the only instance of that. During the levels you can take as long as you want; and some of them get pretty large towards the end. Oh yeah, and that scene in the helicopter when you're given a choice between a pistol and the electro-thingy, get the electro-thingy. Not only is it great for non-lethal, but it's also VERY handy against security cameras and you don't have to waste an EMP grenade.StrongBlackVine

That is not entirely true. There will be another situation where someone will die you don't act fast enough. There will be no no time to assess the situation or look around...

Goddammit, when does that happen again? OK, I'm just gonna stop replying because I'm confuse this poor guy trying to play the game. It's an awesome game. Time well spent. Enjoy!
#25 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -

Amazing game man. I spent many many hours playing this game. One of my favourite this gen.

marcheegsr
This x 1000. Truly is an awesome freakin' game w/ a damn good storyline.....definitely makes you think while you're having too.
#26 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -

idunnodude
Just saying: Is dicovering the consequences of your actions not also a part of the RPG experience? This is the moment in which you say to yourself "Damn, why didn't I hurry and rescue those people?" and have to live on with that grieve. It's not like the game over screen popped up there.
#27 Posted by sukraj (24020 posts) -

yes its worth it imo.

#28 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"][QUOTE="Kravyn81"]No, that's the only instance of that. During the levels you can take as long as you want; and some of them get pretty large towards the end. Oh yeah, and that scene in the helicopter when you're given a choice between a pistol and the electro-thingy, get the electro-thingy. Not only is it great for non-lethal, but it's also VERY handy against security cameras and you don't have to waste an EMP grenade.StrongBlackVine

But you can take your time before taking the elevator and explore the little area after the little sequence is done.

#29 Posted by sagejonathan (512 posts) -
It's a superb game in every way.
#30 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -

ok just another random question. i just finished that first main mission where you save the hostages and stuff. now im doing sidequests in detroit, the one called cloaks and daggers. just wondering, are all sidequests completeable or do you need certain augmentations for some of them? im supposed to find some weapons from a gang in detroit or something and i snuck past everyone but now i hit a dead end and i don't know where to go. i think if i had the wall breaking augmentation i could break the wall or something but i have no idea.

great game so far, i just wish it was 3rd person. i can't stand not being able to see my character in single player games. and the graphics are pretty weak but whatever.

#31 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -

dude what the hell. i ended up using my only frag grenade to break through that wall and it didn't even lead to nowhere, just a dead end. there is a drop to the left side but i guess you need another aug or something to survive that fall. this is getting annoying.

#32 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2279 posts) -

Yes one of my favorite games this gen.

#33 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
The whole game, including the side quests, is completable without buying any new augmentations (there's even a trophy for that iirc). If your augs are not suitable for one path, like in the scene that you described, you'll just have to find another one.
#34 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="idunnodude"] okay so just to confirm, this is the only time that i'm penalized for taking too long exploring? if so that is good news. i guess ill start a new game and try and save them. oh and the helicopter scene the guy offered me a pistol or a combat rifle. what electro thing are you talking about, is that the combat rifle?23Jarek23

But you can take your time before taking the elevator and explore the little area after the little sequence is done.

Of course, but that doesn't make my statement any less accurate.

#35 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

dude what the hell. i ended up using my only frag grenade to break through that wall and it didn't even lead to nowhere, just a dead end. there is a drop to the left side but i guess you need another aug or something to survive that fall. this is getting annoying.

idunnodude

Each area has multiple entries, some you need augs to get to, most you don't. Sounds like the game isn't for you if it's getting annoying because you actually have to do a bit of thinking instead of just expecting there to be a waypoint for you to follow like in most games. Also the graphics are actually pretty good, the attention to detail is more than you see in most games. 

#36 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

Of course, but that doesn't make my statement any less accurate.

Hence why I didn't say your statement was innacurate. Simply just added to it. 

#37 Posted by ez_moneymaker (1211 posts) -

It's a long game with decent graphics and a tonne of variety to how you approach your objectives. Worth it? Definitely.

Venom_Raptor
^ this.
#38 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
one of the best games this gen, so yes, its worth it
#39 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18418 posts) -
Deus Ex is a very highly recommended game.
#40 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
Deus Ex HR is surprisingly great. Totally caught me off guard and is one of my favorite games of the generation.
#41 Posted by idunnodude (2283 posts) -

yeah i got past the annoying part in detroit lol it was just a minor setback. been playing on and enjoying it. im loving the emphasis on story. the conversations and choices are a really cool system and interesting. kinda like mass effect but more complex (mass effect games are my favourites this gen).

i got to china and it seemed like the game really picked up there. the bright lighting environments suit this game. like high tech, high budget type of stuff. when i was in detroit fighting off gangbangers and stuff i was just waiting to get outta there, felt out of place. it looked like a ps2 game at times. but it got much better once i hit china.

man i just wish this game was third person, or had a third person option. i feel like i would like it so much more.