Demon's Souls Newbie Questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ovirew (7486 posts) -

So the other day I started playing Demon's Souls, having heard good things about it over the years.  I know that the game is known for its frustrating level of difficulty, but I'm sure I'll find out more about that in due time.

It takes me a really long time to 'create a character' in games like this, so I spent a good hour or so making my magician before things kicked off the other day.  Then I worked on the tutorial.  I got, I think to the end of the tutorial, and as soon as I walked through the door the large monster there killed me.

So, the game put me in that 'Nexus' place.  I guess I'm a spirit now?  Still not too clear on that point.

The only other place I can go to besides the Nexus right now is this one castle area, which I assume is level 1?  I'm okay with that for now, since I would like to take things one stage at a time, but I still want to know how I get back to the tutorial and get my body back.  Or maybe I don't?  Maybe that's just supposed to happen when you start the game?

Since the tutorial, I died a time or two in the castle dungeon.  I recovered my 'body' one of those times, leading to even more confusion.  If I'm a spirit, and I can die as a spirit, then does this mean I am losing 'layers' of my spirit?  Lol.

I guess what I'd really like to know is if my 'physical' body is gone for good, and if there's any way to go back to the tutorial to get it back...  Because right now there doesn't appear to be.  I'm confused because I can't even tell if I am a spirit or what right now, and I'd like to see what benefits being alive will bring me.  It seems like I will get full access to my health bar when I am alive, which would be nice.

Also, what is the deal with souls?  I was playing the game for the second time a few minutes ago, and I had gained about 3000-4000 souls before dying.  (While trying to save some dude in armor who was screaming for help - I got stupid and was burnt to a crisp by those...  zombie people lol.)  It seems like I get stronger when I have more of them...  Though I can't tell if I'm just imagining that.  Of course I lost them all now, as you do every time when you die, but it seems like their only other purpose is to purchase stuff from the Nexus shop.  Since I am a magician, pretty much everything in the shop is worthless to me and there's not a very large variety of stuff to begin with.  I do repair my damaged stuff, though.

I know the game is old and I'm not asking for things to be written in stone for me, but if anyone can explain some of these things I'm confused about, I'd appreciate it muchly.

#2 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (598 posts) -

It's been a while since I played but this should be of help:

1) Souls are like a combination of money and exp compared to other RPGs. You can either use them to level up or buy stuff at merchants (there are merchants in the Nexus).

2) When you die, it leaves a bloodstain. If you can get back to that point without dying, you'll get your souls back. If you don't make it back, they're lost and you will tear all your hair out if you had like 200,000 souls or something.

3) That first area isn't only a tutorial. You'll have to go back there and continue on I think (if it's the place where you start on that bridge kinda thing that leads up stairs to a big castle/keep kinda thing).

4) I did a ton of grinding in this game and Dark Souls. Basically just finding an area that you can keep loading and going through that is fairly easy (once you have it down) and gives you a decent amount of souls. This'll bump you up some levels and make some of the tougher fights easier. I know most people hate grinding, but I usually just put on some good music and just zone in on it. Not a big deal for me.

5) The moon grass stuff will heal you. You've got to set it to down on the D-Pad and use the square button to heal.

6) IGN has a wiki guide for this game I think that should prove invaluable. I would give you a congressional medal of honor if you could get through this game without help from one guide or another.

7) When you finish this game, get Dark Souls. It's even better... I played through it like 4 times.

#3 Posted by Ovirew (7486 posts) -
Thanks for responding DaRq! I appreciate your help. Just wanted to say a bit more before I go to work here. 1. So do I still get more powerful just by having souls? Or did I just think I did? And how do I use them to level up? I didn't see a way to yet. Maybe I need my body back, first? 2. I made it back to my blood stain once before, but does it remain there forever until you go back for it? Or does it disappear when you shut off the game or what? 3. Maybe I missed some statue things, I will check on the inside where that lady brought me to the Nexus, and see if there are more there. 4. Grinding, no prob. XD 5. I know about the healing grass and other useable items. I do have a problem in that mana replenishment seems to be difficult to pull off in this game. Since I'm a magician, that is kind of a problem. 6. I will try to get as far as I can for now without looking at walkthroughs and guides. I think asking questions like this is helpful to me for now. 7. I might, idk. I know they are making a Dark Souls 2 now. For the near future, I will just be playing Demon's Souls. 8. Oh yeah, and what does turpentine do? Lol.
#4 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (598 posts) -

Thanks for responding DaRq! I appreciate your help. Just wanted to say a bit more before I go to work here. 1. So do I still get more powerful just by having souls? Or did I just think I did? And how do I use them to level up? I didn't see a way to yet. Maybe I need my body back, first? 2. I made it back to my blood stain once before, but does it remain there forever until you go back for it? Or does it disappear when you shut off the game or what? 3. Maybe I missed some statue things, I will check on the inside where that lady brought me to the Nexus, and see if there are more there. 4. Grinding, no prob. XD 5. I know about the healing grass and other useable items. I do have a problem in that mana replenishment seems to be difficult to pull off in this game. Since I'm a magician, that is kind of a problem. 6. I will try to get as far as I can for now without looking at walkthroughs and guides. I think asking questions like this is helpful to me for now. 7. I might, idk. I know they are making a Dark Souls 2 now. For the near future, I will just be playing Demon's Souls. 8. Oh yeah, and what does turpentine do? Lol.Ovirew

1. In order to level up with your souls, you have to see the girl on the stairs in the Nexus I think. This is hard for me to remember because I played Dark Souls more recently and they polished a lot of this stuff and changed things.

2. You only have one bloodstain at a time. Let's say you die with 5,000 souls. If you can make it back to where you died without dying, you can get those souls back by touching the bloodstain. If you die on the way there, that bloodstain is gone, and those 5,000 souls are gone. You can now go to the new bloodstain if you want to get the souls you amassed while trying to reach your old bloodstain. I think the bloodstain might also disappear if you shut off the game as well, but I can't really remember.

5. I can't remember how the mana replacement works in Demon's Souls. I think it might be a different type of grass?

6. That's OK, just make sure you check one out before you consider giving up on the game, because yes the game is tough, but it is well worth completing if you can stick it out.

7. Dark Souls just rocks.

8. I can't remember what turpentine does... doesn't it set fire to stuff or something?

#5 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtogOspy77g 

This guy does a pretty good job explaining some basic core concepts. So if you're interested in learning more about this game, definitely give his first couple of Let's Plays a view. Skip ahead to 2:05 where he starts talking since the first couple of minutes is just the intro to the game.

Definitely watch his first two videos in the series as he does answer some of your questions you asked here in them. It's up to you if you want to continue watching anymore after that.

#6 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

Turpentine = applies fire damage buff to a weapon, assuming it it not already specially upgraded. Lasts like 30 sec or so.

#7 Posted by Ovirew (7486 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtogOspy77g 

This guy does a pretty good job explaining some basic core concepts. So if you're interested in learning more about this game, definitely give his first couple of Let's Plays a view. Skip ahead to 2:05 where he starts talking since the first couple of minutes is just the intro to the game.

Definitely watch his first two videos in the series as he does answer some of your questions you asked here in them. It's up to you if you want to continue watching anymore after that.

Kravyn81
Well, he did answer my question about the tutorial boss, so I guess you only get one shot at that thing. But, he says in the comments that you get to come back for your revenge later. So... I guess I will get to go back there?
#8 Posted by Ovirew (7486 posts) -

Thanks for all of the responces everyone.

I restarted the game yesterday, and decided to play as a soldier for now.  It's going pretty smoothly, but I died once again at the hands of the tutorial boss.

I still don't see any way to return to the tutorial area.  But like I said in my last post, you must be able to later.

There is no girl on the stairs in the Nexus, at least not yet.  There is a statue thing that is in front of the big flat rune-emblazoned circle where I got revived, but I don't know what happened to the girl who revived me after the cutscene.  Maybe if I complete the first area, she will appear there?  There's really not a whole lot that I can do right now - I can just go to the first area, buy a few things from the one guy or store things with the other guy.  Unless I'm really overlooking some well-hidden doorways.

Turpentine might be useful, thanks for that info.  It might come in handy b giving me a quick boost of power at this one part...  There is this one soldier in the first area that I haven't managed to defeat yet - he is armored and has a spear, and he charges at you from a few feet away.  I keep trying to best him with a 2-handed bastard sword, but I am usually too slow or else I don't dodge his attacks quickly enough.  He's not a boss or anything, but it's amazing how tough this one guy is lol.

It's pretty amazing how big and intricate these levels are, if the first area is a good indicator.  There's so many hidden goodies and doorways leading off the beaten path.

#9 Posted by x-2tha-z (8978 posts) -
You can't return to the tutorial area. You will come across that boss later in the game. He's in 4-1, I think. To level up, return to the nexus after you beat the boss in 1-1 and the Maiden in Black will be there. She will tell you to talk to the Monumental. After you talk to him, return to the Maiden and she'll let you level up.
#10 Posted by x-2tha-z (8978 posts) -
Regarding human and soul form... Die in human form and you turn into soul form. When in soul form you lose some of your health. If you wear the Cling Ring you'll get some of your missing health back. To revive back to human form you have to either kill a boss or use a Stone of Ephemeral eyes. Being human and connected to PSN opens you up to being invaded by other players. Their goal is to find you and kill you. When human, you can summon up to two other players to help you. You summon them through their summon signs on the ground, if you can find any. If you die in human form in any area other than the nexus, it will affect the tendancy of that world.
#11 Posted by Ovirew (7486 posts) -
Wow, you just laid some heavy info on me there, x-2tha-z. But now I have.... A few more questions. 1. Is there anything special in the tutorial that I could only get if I managed to complete it? 2. What form am I in now? I mean, I died in the tutorial - I assume I was human there? So I must be a soul? 3. Continuing from 2, so if I defeat the first boss I will become human again? 4. I'd like some elaboration on summoning. Could I technically play Demon's Souls with a friend, say one from my buddy list? Like I guess we'd have to leave our symbols somewhere and tell each other where it is, then we could team up? Or is it all randomized matchmaking? And can someone summon me if I'm human and in the midst of doing something? I wasn't aware that you could directly interact with other players while playing DS. 5. If you could explain the world tendency a bit, that would also be appreciated. The game has talked about this several times, but I'm still not sure what it all means. Is there a way to change negative world tendency and make it positive if you mess things up?
#12 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
I'll try to help as much as I know. 1. Not that I'm aware of. 2. If you died then you are in soul form. 3. Yes. Or you can find the Empheral Eye Stone and use that. But being in human form is not necessarily always what you want. Being in soul form has its advantages such as enemies are slightly easier to kill. The downside is your health is cut in half so it behooves you to find the Cling Ring which is located in world 1-1 (Boletarian Palace). 4. Yes, you can play with a friend, but as far as I know it's all randomized meaning if you leave a summon that doesn't guarantee your friend is the one who will join you. Also, there's no voice chat whenever someone does join. 5. There's a lot to world tendencies, but the short-short of it is the more you die the more the WT turns to black which makes enemies harder to kill and vice versa.
#13 Posted by Threesixtyci (4437 posts) -

This pretty much shows you everything you need to know:

#14 Posted by x-2tha-z (8978 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ovirew"]Wow, you just laid some heavy info on me there, x-2tha-z. But now I have.... A few more questions. 1. Is there anything special in the tutorial that I could only get if I managed to complete it? 2. What form am I in now? I mean, I died in the tutorial - I assume I was human there? So I must be a soul? 3. Continuing from 2, so if I defeat the first boss I will become human again? 4. I'd like some elaboration on summoning. Could I technically play Demon's Souls with a friend, say one from my buddy list? Like I guess we'd have to leave our symbols somewhere and tell each other where it is, then we could team up? Or is it all randomized matchmaking? And can someone summon me if I'm human and in the midst of doing something? I wasn't aware that you could directly interact with other players while playing DS. 5. If you could explain the world tendency a bit, that would also be appreciated. The game has talked about this several times, but I'm still not sure what it all means. Is there a way to change negative world tendency and make it positive if you mess things up?

1. No 2. You're in soul form. Your health bar is shorter in soul form. If you wear the Cling Ring you will get some of that health back. 3. Yes. 4. Yes. Matching up with people is very easy in Demon's Souls. There are two restrictions though; you each have to have a copy of DS from the same region of the world and your soul levels have to be relatively close to each other. Eg someone with a UK copy of the game can't play with someone with a US copy and a player at level 1 won't be able to summon a level 120. If your friend is close enough to your level and his game is from the same region, just get them to tell you where they left their summon sign and it should be right there in your world. There's nothing random about summoning. You choose whether to or not and you choose who you want to summon. However, there were very few summon signs the last time I played DS. I'd recommend, if you can, to play through DS completely by yourself the first time through. I think this will give you the best experience. You can be summoned. You have to use the Blue Eye Stone. Use it and you will leave your summon sign on the ground and another player might choose to use it to summon you. You have to be in soul form to be summoned. You won't be able to use the Blue Eye Stone if you're in human form. 5. World tendency works on an eight point scale. Tendency shifts toward black by one point each time you die in a world while in human form. Dying in soul form has no effect on world tendency. Each world has its own individual world tendency. Killing a boss will shift tendency toward white by one point. Killing a named black phantom or a primeval demon will shift toward white tendency by three points. Tendency is easier to control if you're playing offline. Black tendency will make the game harder. White will make it easier. Pure White world tendency usually opens up areas you couldn't reach and gives you access to the new items in those areas. Quick example; if you get pure white in world one, the dragons will be gone and you can reach the Purple Flame Shield.