***Dead Space is like Resident Evil but in Space***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

Dead Space is pretty cool game... it's very similar to Resident Evil games, it full of scary suprises... or you can basically re-name it RESIDENT EVIL: DEAD SPACE lol. I believe it one of those games that shouldn't be miss out.

jaxx1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jaxx1980
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts
Ahhh the fun of random scary creatures in air vents and creatures that play dead... got it this morning and have been playing it for like the last 7 hrs solid. Taking a break now somewhere in chapter 4... I'm starting to see things moving in the shadows in my kitchen :p Think I need this break.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts

One of the major differences between DS and RE that I noticed right off the bat was that DS wasn't encumbering you with limited saves that make you fearful of losing your progress or limited ammo since there are stores to buy ammo all over the place, and those things really made me a lot less tense playing DS than I would be playing RE. In that way, DS really doesn't feel very Survivally, like RE games always have, but the horror is definitely there.

a better analogy would be that Dead Space is a mixture of Resident Evil 4 and Bioshock.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
I liked it. The thing that got me was the huge Zero G rooms. And cut off heads floating in front of me. And you cant tell if your on the wall or ceiling, in fact neither is. So your kinda disoriented "will I ever edit this right?" And blood floating no where with kills. The sound goes numb. Because in space they cant hear you scream lol. It vary good, and made by EA, is even more of a shock.

And people say doom, Thats a joke. Game does way more. Its got the telekinesis from Half life. And much more. It does alot. No one mentions the telekinesis thing when bragging on it.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
After being disappointed by RE4 and its departure from survival horror, I was very happy with Dead Space. An absolutely fantastic game. Here's to hoping Capcom goes back to its roots after RE4.5 comes out next year.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts
I have to say I'm enjoying it more than Resident Evil 4. The Resident Evil games just aren't scary anymore. That said, I'm looking forward to 5. It's just more of an action game than a horror game. Dead Space is g(l)orious action and delectable horror like a floating hot dog in zero G towards the face!
drcsyntax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 drcsyntax
Member since 2008 • 267 Posts

I find DS to be alot more interesting and scary than Resident Evil. Zombies and "madmen" just aren't scary really at all. The plots and "surprise" points in RE are almost so scripted that you can tell they're going to happen before they do.

I've lost track of the number of times that DS made me follow one enemy, whilst two more quietly snuck up behind me, and I'm not complaining about how it happens; just that it works almost everytime!

DS has an eerie feeling in the fully lit areas of the game, not just the dark corridors where the lights go out.

DS is a big step forward away from RE in my opinion, people are still playing RE because they want to find out what happened to certain characters; not because the game gives them a good scare while playing it.

Redd_0332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Redd_0332
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I too was pretty let down by RE4. Although it was fun to play on the Wii...the edge of your seat suspense, the hair raising on the back of your neck, the scenes that make you cringe and jump....none of that was there. However; Dead Space is packed full of all that. Its fun to play, scares the hell out of you even when you know whats going to happen, and has you laying awake at night wanting more. Dead Space is for sure one of the best horror games i have ever played. *whispers in capcom's ear* You have competition now.......

Anyone who is a fan of horror games, Dead Space is a must play.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 somesthetic
RE4 was great, you're all crazy.
Redd_0332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redd_0332

I find DS to be alot more interesting and scary than Resident Evil. Zombies and "madmen" just aren't scary really at all. The plots and "surprise" points in RE are almost so scripted that you can tell they're going to happen before they do.

I've lost track of the number of times that DS made me follow one enemy, whilst two more quietly snuck up behind me, and I'm not complaining about how it happens; just that it works almost everytime!

DS has an eerie feeling in the fully lit areas of the game, not just the dark corridors where the lights go out.

DS is a big step forward away from RE in my opinion, people are still playing RE because they want to find out what happened to certain characters; not because the game gives them a good scare while playing it.

drcsyntax

Sorry to double post, but i just read this message after i posted my last. And i 100% agree with this.

The first time i played a RE game i was a little spooked from time to time. But Now, the whole reason to play it is to follow the storyline. And with the movies coming out, even that reason to play the game is diminishing. Dead Space is hopefully just the begining of a whole new wave of horror games, because it certainly raised the bar for any competitor who even thought about partaking in this genre.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 somesthetic

[this is a reply to a post that magically disappeared]

yes, it was.

a dude with a bag on his head and a chainsaw would come running at you while you struggled to point your ineffective bullets towards his head and ended up getting your own brutally sliced off.

I ran away scared in that game all the time. In dead space, I just have to strafe a little and aim for the knees.

drcsyntax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 drcsyntax
Member since 2008 • 267 Posts

yes, it was.

a dude with a bag on his head and a chainsaw would come running at you while you struggled to point your ineffective bullets towards his head and ended up getting your own brutally sliced off.

I ran away scared in that game all the time. In dead space, I just have to strafe a little and aim for the knees.

somesthetic

You must not be that far into the game then; where Brutes have full armor on them; which bullets don't go through. Or the necromorphs stuck to the walls, that don't have knees to aim for; like the smaller creatures that appear, also have no knees.

RE had unbeatable baddies...and that's all they were, unbeatable, you didn't run SCARED, you ran cause you knew there was no way of killing it.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

drcsyntax

Yea but in RE defense. Its almost like a great B flick movie. Not really scary scary, and RE never really was. But its still a cool style and fun.

That being said, DS is way more dynamic and fierce. RE is more colorful and kinda gimmicky fun, both good.

alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

While your able to buy ammo for the weapons and all that I think that DS sorta reminds me of the eariler Resident Evil games. The darkly lit rooms, the sound effects and just that fear that anything can jump and attack you at any moment.

I think this game has earned the high scores that it had got

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
Awesome game.
Bloker80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bloker80
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts
Can't wait to try this one out. (An EA game at that too!) :P
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEVILinIRON
I love the weapons in Dead Space. Not that this anything to do with being scared. But the Ripper is just awesome! This thread is getting me excited to go back and play. I accept that some may hold preference for RE4. But DS is just where it's at for me. This is what I want in a horror game... The audio is top notch, the visuals great, and an engaging story. If your complaint is that you aren't getting decapitated enough, then try Dead Space on Impossible like my bro. Hahah.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DEVILinIRON

[this is a reply to a post that magically disappeared]

yes, it was.

somesthetic

Yes it magically disappeared because I need to get myself away from the computer so I can meet up with some friends. I have no desire to get deep into discussion, ATM. Things to do. Apologies.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 somesthetic
[QUOTE="somesthetic"]

yes, it was.

drcsyntax

You must not be that far into the game then; where Brutes have full armor on them; which bullets don't go through. Or the necromorphs stuck to the walls, that don't have knees to aim for; like the smaller creatures that appear, also have no knees.

RE had unbeatable baddies...and that's all they were, unbeatable, you didn't run SCARED, you ran cause you knew there was no way of killing it.

I'm in chapter 7. there's still dudes with knees.

Redd_0332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redd_0332
[QUOTE="drcsyntax"][QUOTE="somesthetic"]

yes, it was.

somesthetic

There will always be guys with knees, but after awhile you don't know what to expect. There are guys with no legs that crawl on the floor and fly at you, little things that rememble dog-like creatures that shoot things at you or jump on you and try to dig in your back. There are also giant monkey looking bad guys that have heavy armor, it takes some time to take them down. Also there are wormlike creatures and i think even bat like creatures that travel in groups and attempt to rip you to shreds. There is a wide variety of enemies. You can't judge the entirety of the game based on one classification of alien life form that you have encountered when you have not at least beat the game yet.

Look, RE as a whole is a great dynasty. Remember; they were the ones that, i believe, put survival horror on the map. HOWEVER, RE4 was a let down to many Horror genre fans. It was more about survival/story than horror. Dead Space is an amazing combination of Horror, survival and story as well as to somepoint, tactics (upgrades and money spending small puzzles throughout etc). It even has good reply value with the multiple difficulty and the huge amounts of upgrades ranging from different weapons to purchase, new suits, and even upgrading your suit/weapons/powers at the Bench. And in my opinion, should they decide to come out with a RE6 and DS2 around the same time, i would be all over DS2 before RE6. Simply put, i believe DS is better overall than RE, although i still like RE, just not as much :D and i believe any gamer who is after the heart of horror would agree. In DS there are so many ways to die, be torn to shreds etc. And there are so many unexpected enemies/noises.....It totally blows RE out of the water from a horror point of view. Period.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
wow.. lot of you like this over Resident Evil which i can understand. RE4 was a great game, however, it was a big change from the original RE games. The first one and RE:NEMESIS will always be a classic. But remember in Space no one will hear you scream ;)
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DEVILinIRON
[QUOTE="somesthetic"][QUOTE="drcsyntax"][QUOTE="somesthetic"]

yes, it was.

Redd_0332

There will always be guys with knees, but after awhile you don't know what to expect. There are guys with no legs that crawl on the floor and fly at you, little things that rememble dog-like creatures that shoot things at you or jump on you and try to dig in your back. There are also giant monkey looking bad guys that have heavy armor, it takes some time to take them down. Also there are wormlike creatures and i think even bat like creatures that travel in groups and attempt to rip you to shreds. There is a wide variety of enemies. You can't judge the entirety of the game based on one classification of alien life form that you have encountered when you have not at least beat the game yet.

Look, RE as a whole is a great dynasty. Remember; they were the ones that, i believe, put survival horror on the map. HOWEVER, RE4 was a let down to many Horror genre fans. It was more about survival/story than horror. Dead Space is an amazing combination of Horror, survival and story as well as to somepoint, tactics (upgrades and money spending small puzzles throughout etc). It even has good reply value with the multiple difficulty and the huge amounts of upgrades ranging from different weapons to purchase, new suits, and even upgrading your suit/weapons/powers at the Bench. And in my opinion, should they decide to come out with a RE6 and DS2 around the same time, i would be all over DS2 before RE6. Simply put, i believe DS is better overall than RE, although i still like RE, just not as much :D and i believe any gamer who is after the heart of horror would agree. In DS there are so many ways to die, be torn to shreds etc. And there are so many unexpected enemies/noises.....It totally blows RE out of the water from a horror point of view. Period.

Well put!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON

wow.. lot of you like this over Resident Evil which i can understand. RE4 was a great game, however, it was a big change from the original RE games. The first one and RE:NEMESIS will always be a classic. But remember in Space no one will hear you scream ;)aka_aj03

Hear, hear! Though I loved RE2 the most!

Gryphon700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Gryphon700
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts
I actually cannot wait until I go back home during Christmas to play this game. I live at college right now and I don't have my PS3 with me unfortunately. This looks like a heck of a sweet game!!
jaxx1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jaxx1980
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts
Ahhhh Christmas... that special time of year... for... dismembering aliens apparently :D
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
dead space is nothing like RE5, it is wayyyy better and the most important he can walk and shoot. dead space>RE5