Dead Space - Gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
Does Dead Space play similar to something like Resident Evil 4? I am debating on whether or not to pick it up, I hear good things about it.
ProGamer7382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ProGamer7382
Member since 2005 • 845 Posts
i picked it up today. i also heard many good things about it. im only 30 mins into it but so far i am not impressed.
Avatar image for bob_the_can_man
bob_the_can_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bob_the_can_man
Member since 2007 • 605 Posts
its amazing, dont let urself believe any different
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

Similar to RE4, yes...

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

the game is amazing if you like resident evil you will love this game

Warning its not for the faint of heart very violent and gory

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
It's an incredible game with a great storyline. If you enjoyed RE4 you should enjoy Dead Space.
ebgamesnake112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ebgamesnake112
Member since 2004 • 194 Posts
Dude, get it. It's definitely worth it.
fakecliche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fakecliche
Member since 2008 • 668 Posts
The core gameplay is better.
ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts

the game is amazing if you like resident evil you will love this game

Warning its not for the faint of heart very violent and gory

yonnex

ditto

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

It's a super-gory form of RE4 (a lot more gore and blood than you'd expect).

It's really a sleeper hit, an unexpected gem that suddenly popped into shelves with little hype before its release.

RE4 is still a superior game, but it's mainly because it's done so many new things when it was released.

Dead Space feels like an amalgation of the horror formula and how it works, and even though the gameplay isn't too unique, it is one of the best horror games I have played in years (RE4 was the best one I've played thus far, but Dead Space is now among my favourite horror games ever).

ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts

It's really a sleeper hit, an unexpected gem that suddenly popped into shelves with little hype before its release.

RE4 is still a superior game, but it's mainly because it's done so many new things when it was released.

Dead Space feels like an amalgation of the horror formula and how it works, and even though the gameplay isn't too unique, it is one of the best horror games I have played in years (RE4 was the best one I've played thus far, but Dead Space is now among my favourite horror games ever).

Brainhunter

wow, it cant really get clearer than that.

Kiljoy66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kiljoy66
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts
It takes the precision shooting from RE4 and runs circles around it to me, don't think I was ever that accurate in RE4 and I was standing still then, yet I can pop a necromorphs limbs/head off easily at a distance. Fun fun game, still need to complete impossible mode, man that leviathan can eat plasma cutter ammo. :evil:
zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
Looks amazing and was one of the games I was really looking foward to - kinda hyping even - I own it becuase the buy 2 get 1 deal at Toys R Us - but Fable 2 and Fallout 3 have consumed all of my time. This game looks absolutely amazing but I am horrible at Horror games so im kinda scared to open it up and start it - but its a game I really dont want to miss. I need to just open it up and play it allready.
burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts

Does Dead Space play similar to something like Resident Evil 4? I am debating on whether or not to pick it up, I hear good things about it.vibrantdesign

The aiming/shooting, over the shoulder camera are like RE4 yes. But you can move while aiming, and the game does not pause when you reach for your inventory or your map. Also the weapons have unexpectadly imaginative secondary fires. And there are no cutscenes in the game. Which I think drains you more into the atmosphere of the game.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts
[QUOTE="Brainhunter"]

ShadowBass989

My thoughts exactly.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowBass989"][QUOTE="Brainhunter"]

treelog82

My thoughts exactly.

I make an effort to make my posts contain some form of intuitive information, subjective or not. Glad to see people are finding it useful, otherwise I'd think I'd be posting worthless thoughts.

onthalookout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 onthalookout
Member since 2005 • 1123 Posts

Am I the only one that HATED RE4 with a passion w/ super fruity "leon" as lead, super clunky controls, pausing the game every 5 seconds to combine red herbs with green or green with green or a bass in my suitcase w/ an almost RPG type feel to it. You walk up to a fence and it was like "X to jump", and hella goofy monsters jumping after my bass boat?

I literally HATE RE4 and I tried my hardest to like even a little bit. I kept playing it for a year, even sold one copy then re-bought it to try again and never got over how bad I hated it. I loved RE2. I could not get past how girly Leon was..

"Welcome, wattaya buyin" "Waddaya sellin" "Got alodda good thing on sale stranger"

I want Dead Space but I dont want it to be ANYTHING like RE4.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

Am I the only one that HATED RE4 with a passion w/ super fruity "leon" as lead, super clunky controls, pausing the game every 5 seconds to combine red herbs with green or green with green or a bass in my suitcase w/ an almost RPG type feel to it. You walk up to a fence and it was like "X to jump", and hella goofy monsters jumping after my bass boat?

I literally HATE RE4 and I tried my hardest to like even a little bit. I kept playing it for a year, even sold one copy then re-bought it to try again and never got over how bad I hated it. I loved RE2. I could not get past how girly Leon was..

"Welcome, wattaya buyin" "Waddaya sellin" "Got alodda good thing on sale stranger"

I want Dead Space but I dont want it to be ANYTHING like RE4.

onthalookout

Sounds to me like most of your problems with RE4 are superficial. I also thought Leon was a lame looking lead, a lot of the enemies were goofy and all the voice acting was atrocious. Still though, I didn't let it get in the way of what was an awesome game.

As for the clunky controls all I can say is that's how survival horror games tend to be. Its a design choice, not a flaw. Dead Space is similar in that regard. The game did require too much pausing though so I can agree with you there. They should have put in a good hot key system. About the x every time you jump a fence, just about every game requires a button push to get over obstacles, whether it be a simple button routed jump, or a context sensitive button.

All in all Dead Space has its similarities to RE4, but I think you might like it. The atmosphere and setting are much cooler/darker, the enemies are far from goofy, the protagonist is a silent one, and the VA is a major step up from the RE series. Also you are allowed to move while shooting to alleviate the "clunky feel" and there literally isn't a pause menu, or true hud for that matter.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Does Dead Space play similar to something like Resident Evil 4? I am debating on whether or not to pick it up, I hear good things about it.vibrantdesign

Yes, quite similar. I'd advise picking it up.

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
it's nothingg like RE4 it's better. the gameplay the graphics the sounds everything.