Dark Souls - target lock seems broken

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 i_am_the_slime
Member since 2009 • 317 Posts

Anyone else think the target lock seems broken? It's like it isn't sensitive enough - it doesn't switch between targets when I move the left stick. In Demon's Souls, the target lock was probably a little too sensitive, but now it isn't sensitive at all!

Minajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Minajj
Member since 2010 • 294 Posts

I agree with you there, can you even switch targets? its the one thing thats really bothering me so far.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

Agreed. You can switch targets it just refuses to do it 90% of the time.. i just double tap r3 to lock off whatever target i am on and lock on to hopefully the nearest enemy, seems to work okay. When that fails i run away lol.

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
I've noticed this as well.....it doesn't seem to work as well as Demon Soul's did. I guess it just needs time to be patched.
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Wasn't it the RIGHT stick to switch targets in Demons? Makes more sense since you don't move the camera manually while locked on.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Wasn't it the RIGHT stick to switch targets in Demons? Makes more sense since you don't move the camera manually while locked on.

dan_gerous87
this... you twitch the right stick when locked on to switch targets, since you use the left stick to move around. It's not perfect, and enemies tend to need to be closer together for it to work effectively, but it could be worse. My only issue is that it's really easy to walk off a cliff because the lock on jerks suddenly or you lock onto the wrong target.
i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i_am_the_slime
Member since 2009 • 317 Posts

[QUOTE="dan_gerous87"]

Essian

this... you twitch the right stick when locked on to switch targets, since you use the left stick to move around. It's not perfect, and enemies tend to need to be closer together for it to work effectively, but it could be worse. My only issue is that it's really easy to walk off a cliff because the lock on jerks suddenly or you lock onto the wrong target.

Sorry, I just said the wrong stick. It still isn't sensitive enough and 90% of the time it won't switch targets. I've been unlocking and relocking with R3 instead. I hope they update this in a patch.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i cant find the link but there will be a patch within the next week or so, they will address a few issues we have been experiencing
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

i cant find the link but there will be a patch within the next week or so, they will address a few issues we have been experiencingJoKeR_421

Nice, I am really enjoing it so far, but there are a few annoying issues. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say its "broken", but it doesnt seem to be working as well as it did in Demon's Souls.

CBottom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CBottom7
Member since 2009 • 822 Posts

If you were any bit of decent at Dmeon's Souls, you wouldn't need the LOCK system anyways ...

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

If you were any bit of decent at Dmeon's Souls, you wouldn't need the LOCK system anyways ...

CBottom7

thats not true at all, especially for dark souls.

Paul_Jonas5188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Paul_Jonas5188
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

I'm pretty sure that you need it for projectile spells... Anyway, mine is pretty much broken when it comes to switching targets. I have to flick the stick around for about three seconds before it switches targets and even then it only works half the time.

Anyone know if this was caused by a patch of if it was like this at release? I don't see how this problem could have been overlooked. It's not breaking the game for me or anything, though; I'm still having fun!

CBottom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CBottom7

[QUOTE="CBottom7"]

z4twenny

Actually, it is

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i cant find the link but there will be a patch within the next week or so, they will address a few issues we have been experiencingmkaliaz

Nice, I am really enjoing it so far, but there are a few annoying issues. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say its "broken", but it doesnt seem to be working as well as it did in Demon's Souls.

yea i do notice it a lil too, it dont bother me to much but there was a time when i was fighting the main boss of a certain area and ur in a tight room BIG dude coming at u with his dogs and then ..........damn i dont want to ruin it lol ull see.
slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

I think the targetting works fine. If you press the right stick down it switches between the closes enemies or at least it has been working for me that way.

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
[QUOTE="CBottom7"]

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="CBottom7"]

Actually, it is

I disagree with you.
orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

Yeah it's a little borked imo. I'm playing as a sorcerer so locking onto targets to hit them with soul arrow is essential. Here are the issues I've encountered:

~If you are locked on but slightly angled away from the target you may miss completely.

~If you're locked on, facing the enemy, and cast soul arrow, you still may miss completely (by miss completely, I don't mean miss due to an enemy charging, but rather the shot goes way off the mark)...not sure if this is an intentional game design.

~In close quarters with a group of enemies, sometimes switching the lock between targets using the right stick does not work, even though the target is in range.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="bblundell"][QUOTE="CBottom7"]

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

Actually, it is

I disagree with you.

I agree with you, all the lock on does is change the field of view towards the enemy.
orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

[QUOTE="bblundell"][QUOTE="CBottom7"]

Actually, it is

Fightingfan

I disagree with you.

I agree with you, all the lock on does is change the field of view towards the enemy.

Try hitting an enemy with soul arrow at range without locking on.

CBottom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CBottom7

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="bblundell"] I disagree with you.orion_52

Try hitting an enemy with soul arrow at range without locking on.

tried and accomplished ... loved doing this to the Tower Knight and Maneater - haven't needed it in Dark Souls yet, but will get it tonight and let you know