Dark Souls - Even worth reverse hollowing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MC-Reap (595 posts) -

Just wondering, because I know I'm just going to die again soon anyways. It just seems like a waste of a humanity to reverse hollow and then go play half an hour and die again. Are there advantages to being "alive"? I played Demons Souls and I understood all the disadvantages of being dead there, but I'm not really sure what's going on in Dark Souls so far...

#2 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

Just wondering, because I know I'm just going to die again soon anyways. It just seems like a waste of a humanity to reverse hollow and then go play half an hour and die again. Are there advantages to being "alive"? I played Demons Souls and I understood all the disadvantages of being dead there, but I'm not really sure what's going on in Dark Souls so far...

MC-Reap

You cannot kindle the bonfire unless you are in human form (you get 10 estus instead of 5), and you cannot summon other players if you aren't human. I have also heard that the item drop boost given by increasing your humanity meter only applies if you are human, but I can't confirm this.

#3 Posted by MC-Reap (595 posts) -

[QUOTE="MC-Reap"]

orion_52

You cannot kindle the bonfire unless you are in human form (you get 10 estus instead of 5), and you cannot summon other players if you aren't human. I have also heard that the item drop boost given by increasing your humanity meter only applies if you are human, but I can't confirm this.

Gotcha....thanks. So I'm in Undead Berg and so far haven't died, but I keep seeing all these messages saying good luck and I can't take this...Are people really having a lot of trouble in this section? Maybe it's just cause I was already used to Demons Souls, but it doesn't seem all that hard. I dunno... Also, do you know if people upvoting a message you leave still refills your health?
#4 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

As far as I know a positive rating helps you in some way...not sure if it refills you health or grants you an extra estus flask. I have the guide at home so I can check when I get back. No one has rated my message yet :( haha I thought it was helpful.

I'm pretty sure "I can't take this..." is the new "True Demons Souls starts here"

#5 Posted by MethodManFTW (26145 posts) -
[QUOTE="orion_52"]

[QUOTE="MC-Reap"]

MC-Reap

Gotcha....thanks. So I'm in Undead Berg and so far haven't died, but I keep seeing all these messages saying good luck and I can't take this...Are people really having a lot of trouble in this section? Maybe it's just cause I was already used to Demons Souls, but it doesn't seem all that hard. I dunno... Also, do you know if people upvoting a message you leave still refills your health?

People are just spamming random messages... Those messages are every where.
#6 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13284 posts) -

[QUOTE="MC-Reap"][QUOTE="orion_52"]

MethodManFTW

I know you guys probably have the PS3 version, but I have the other version and find the messages absolutely maddening. Most of them are complete crap. They'll tell you to watch out for this or that when nothing is there, treasure or otherwise. It's pointless. What's really crazy is that the dumbest messages get a bunch of ratings and the few that are actually helpful get zero. What's up with that? Demon's Souls always seemed to have nothing but helpful messages, so I was expecting better from the people playing this game.

#7 Posted by MethodManFTW (26145 posts) -

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="MC-Reap"] Gotcha....thanks. So I'm in Undead Berg and so far haven't died, but I keep seeing all these messages saying good luck and I can't take this...Are people really having a lot of trouble in this section? Maybe it's just cause I was already used to Demons Souls, but it doesn't seem all that hard. I dunno... Also, do you know if people upvoting a message you leave still refills your health? MrSelf-Destruct

I know you guys probably have the PS3 version, but I have the other version and find the messages absolutely maddening. Most of them are complete crap. They'll tell you to watch out for this or that when nothing is there, treasure or otherwise. It's pointless. What's really crazy is that the dumbest messages get a bunch of ratings and the few that are actually helpful get zero. What's up with that? Demon's Souls always seemed to have nothing but helpful messages, so I was expecting better from the people playing this game.

Totally agree with all of that. So many great "Walk this way" messages in Demon's Souls that led you to unexpected gear/items.. The first few times I saw those in Dark Souls I plummeted off cliffs to my death... Just gonna ignore them from here.
#8 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13284 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] People are just spamming random messages... Those messages are every where.MethodManFTW

Totally agree with all of that. So many great "Walk this way" messages in Demon's Souls that led you to unexpected gear/items.. The first few times I saw those in Dark Souls I plummeted off cliffs to my death... Just gonna ignore them from here.

Same here, dude. I assumed it was just the community I'm dealing with, but apparently both versions are plagued with childish d-bags.
#9 Posted by MC-Reap (595 posts) -

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I know you guys probably have the PS3 version, but I have the other version and find the messages absolutely maddening. Most of them are complete crap. They'll tell you to watch out for this or that when nothing is there, treasure or otherwise. It's pointless. What's really crazy is that the dumbest messages get a bunch of ratings and the few that are actually helpful get zero. What's up with that? Demon's Souls always seemed to have nothing but helpful messages, so I was expecting better from the people playing this game.

MrSelf-Destruct

Same here, dude. I assumed it was just the community I'm dealing with, but apparently both versions are plagued with childish d-bags.

Darn that's disappointing to hear. I've only left two messages so far. One was guiding to an out of view item, and the other was at a campfire after a bunch of enemies that said "Need head." ;)

#10 Posted by Essian (3444 posts) -
I always reverse hollowing after winning a boss fight. Gives me renewed determination I guess...
#11 Posted by Sphire (2076 posts) -
So far as I know, reverse hallowing allows you to summon and invade. I didn't figure out the kindle thing until someone here mentioned it. I was wondering why certain bonfire gave 10 estus while others gave 5. And I've also randomly got +1 estus's here and there, so I assume that's what a positive message rating gives. The thing about the messages though, some are probably advance players in your section leaving messages not intended for low-levels. So it can get confusing. At least, I think that's why there seem many pointless ones.
#12 Posted by MC-Reap (595 posts) -
So far as I know, reverse hallowing allows you to summon and invade. I didn't figure out the kindle thing until someone here mentioned it. I was wondering why certain bonfire gave 10 estus while others gave 5. And I've also randomly got +1 estus's here and there, so I assume that's what a positive message rating gives. The thing about the messages though, some are probably advance players in your section leaving messages not intended for low-levels. So it can get confusing. At least, I think that's why there seem many pointless ones.Sphire
Yeah I've gotten +1 estus's too, seems to be from message ratings. I have a new question though..The Taurus demon (the one on the bridge right before the dragon that shoots fire in undead burg) doesn't drop anything useful does it? Because when I was fighting him, I managed to get him to back up close to the edge then I threw a fire bomb on him and he fell off and died. XD So...I was just hoping he didn't leave behind anything I might need.
#13 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -

As far as I know a positive rating helps you in some way...not sure if it refills you health or grants you an extra estus flask. I have the guide at home so I can check when I get back. No one has rated my message yet :( haha I thought it was helpful.

I'm pretty sure "I can't take this..." is the new "True Demons Souls starts here"

orion_52
When you rate someone's message they get humanity. Please rate good messages!!
#14 Posted by Sphire (2076 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sphire"]So far as I know, reverse hallowing allows you to summon and invade. I didn't figure out the kindle thing until someone here mentioned it. I was wondering why certain bonfire gave 10 estus while others gave 5. And I've also randomly got +1 estus's here and there, so I assume that's what a positive message rating gives. The thing about the messages though, some are probably advance players in your section leaving messages not intended for low-levels. So it can get confusing. At least, I think that's why there seem many pointless ones.MC-Reap
Yeah I've gotten +1 estus's too, seems to be from message ratings. I have a new question though..The Taurus demon (the one on the bridge right before the dragon that shoots fire in undead burg) doesn't drop anything useful does it? Because when I was fighting him, I managed to get him to back up close to the edge then I threw a fire bomb on him and he fell off and died. XD So...I was just hoping he didn't leave behind anything I might need.

You know what? I was just checking my videos to see what he dropped, but he either drops nothing, or because I killed him 'near' the edge, and while his body fell to the ground, his head was kinda over the edge. So maybe something dropped below for me too, haha. So I can't say really. Still, that brings back painfully memories, I died shortly after, then went on this weird death spree where I did nothing right so many times, just getting back to that minotaur area.

I've only uploaded a couple vids, but if anyone cares to see a mage in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmWCTqe3YM

#15 Posted by Zathic (2012 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sphire"]So far as I know, reverse hallowing allows you to summon and invade. I didn't figure out the kindle thing until someone here mentioned it. I was wondering why certain bonfire gave 10 estus while others gave 5. And I've also randomly got +1 estus's here and there, so I assume that's what a positive message rating gives. The thing about the messages though, some are probably advance players in your section leaving messages not intended for low-levels. So it can get confusing. At least, I think that's why there seem many pointless ones.MC-Reap

He doesn't drop anything, but the next time you kill something by making them drop off an edge you can quit to the menu then reload and whatever they dropped will be wherever they started.

#16 Posted by thecreechxxx (717 posts) -
Being alive can be deadly! Yesterday I was in the darkroot forest. I was invaded by 3 phantoms one after another. I beat them all, but used almost all my estus flasks, then 2 more invaded simultaneously and destroyed me. It was almost annoying that they kept coming and coming. I seem to have trouble summoning phantoms to help me, but when I'm alive, I get invaded over and over.
#17 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13284 posts) -

[QUOTE="MC-Reap"][QUOTE="Sphire"]So far as I know, reverse hallowing allows you to summon and invade. I didn't figure out the kindle thing until someone here mentioned it. I was wondering why certain bonfire gave 10 estus while others gave 5. And I've also randomly got +1 estus's here and there, so I assume that's what a positive message rating gives. The thing about the messages though, some are probably advance players in your section leaving messages not intended for low-levels. So it can get confusing. At least, I think that's why there seem many pointless ones.Zathic

He doesn't drop anything, but the next time you kill something by making them drop off an edge you can quit to the menu then reload and whatever they dropped will be wherever they started.

He does drop something. I got a badass axe from him. It has 114 damage. Maybe it's a random drop?
#18 Posted by ryrulez (11604 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] He does drop something. I got a badass axe from him. It has 114 damage. Maybe it's a random drop?

Did you kill it in some weird way?
#19 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

[QUOTE="orion_52"]

nightshade869

When you rate someone's message they get humanity. Please rate good messages!!

Cool thanks for the clarification.

#20 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13284 posts) -
[QUOTE="ryrulez"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] He does drop something. I got a badass axe from him. It has 114 damage. Maybe it's a random drop?

Did you kill it in some weird way?

Not really. I just climbed the tower where the archers were and did a fall attack on him. I lured him back to the other end and the ran back to the tower. It took three or four blows, I believe. I also had 3 humanity, which I think has something to do with how often items drop.
#21 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that the +1 estus happens if someone else kindles the last bonfire that you rested at.

I just checked the guide and the Taurus demon drops an axe, but it categorized as a "Quite Rare Drop." The guide categorizes item drops as either guaranteed, common, semi common, semi rare, quite rare, rare, and very rare.

#22 Posted by contaminated (5373 posts) -
Being alive can be deadly! Yesterday I was in the darkroot forest. I was invaded by 3 phantoms one after another. I beat them all, but used almost all my estus flasks, then 2 more invaded simultaneously and destroyed me. It was almost annoying that they kept coming and coming. I seem to have trouble summoning phantoms to help me, but when I'm alive, I get invaded over and over. thecreechxxx
Two reasons you are getting invaded 1. Darkroot is a pvp hotspot 2. Members of the Forest covenant must stop all trespassers into the forest so they get summoned to your world to stop you from trespassing. Furthermore if you have commited sins players who are in the Darkmoon covenant will invade your world without you knowing giving them the element of surprise. The more sins you have committed the more likely you will be invaded. When I learned about this I was impressed at how innovative it is. For people asking about the Estus Flask you get one when someone kindles the bonfire that you are using.
#23 Posted by MethodManFTW (26145 posts) -
[QUOTE="contaminated"] 2. Members of the Forest covenant must stop all trespassers into the forest so they get summoned to your world to stop you from trespassing. Furthermore if you have commited sins players who are in the Darkmoon covenant will invade your world without you knowing giving them the element of surprise. The more sins you have committed the more likely you will be invaded.

That is really cool.
#24 Posted by MC-Reap (595 posts) -
[QUOTE="contaminated"] 2. Members of the Forest covenant must stop all trespassers into the forest so they get summoned to your world to stop you from trespassing. Furthermore if you have commited sins players who are in the Darkmoon covenant will invade your world without you knowing giving them the element of surprise. The more sins you have committed the more likely you will be invaded.

Wow that's crazy. I saw something on a loading screen once about a book your name will be written in if you do something and something blah blah invading...I don't know what the paragraph said I didn't have time to read it all. It said something about some kind of ultimate price or death people would have to face if their name was in the book though. Do you know what the hell it's talking about? It sounded pretty threatening. Also, what do you mean by sins?
#25 Posted by Sphire (2076 posts) -

[QUOTE="contaminated"] 2. Members of the Forest covenant must stop all trespassers into the forest so they get summoned to your world to stop you from trespassing. Furthermore if you have commited sins players who are in the Darkmoon covenant will invade your world without you knowing giving them the element of surprise. The more sins you have committed the more likely you will be invaded. MC-Reap
Wow that's crazy. I saw something on a loading screen once about a book your name will be written in if you do something and something blah blah invading...I don't know what the paragraph said I didn't have time to read it all. It said something about some kind of ultimate price or death people would have to face if their name was in the book though. Do you know what the hell it's talking about? It sounded pretty threatening. Also, what do you mean by sins?

Interesting. You can buy that book, and you can also buy something to punish those who invade and kill you (I think sinning is invading someone and killing them). Too bad I'm a mage, as it looks like they still suck for PvP (at least, with only 1 spell...goddamn). Also doesn't help that although I'm supposed to go to a world of someone who's close in level (summon or invade) they seem to be doing like 3 times more damage than my character. Dammit!

#26 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] People are just spamming random messages... Those messages are every where.MethodManFTW

Very true. No-one warned me of a cannonball in the Undead Asylum level. I got run over lol. That would've got more recommendations.