Cross Colour Reduction Filter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

I just recently switched to an HDMI cable and found it amazing when I turned on Full RGB colour under display settings as well as Super-White. It made the games look so much better, I was rather suprised.

I was just wondering if anyone has turned on the Cross Colour Reduction Filter? Does it make anything look better, or should I leave it off?

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts
I have it turned on too and it makes it look better for some reason. :?
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
I don't even know what some of the options for resolution and all that do for the PS3... I would say I'm a pretty techy guy, but it would be good if the PS3 gave some kind of description of what each of those things did. I know it probably says in the manual but what do I look like here? lol
LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

Yeah I know a fair amount about tech stuff.... but am unsure if I should turn on the cross colour reduction filter. Does it just blend colours more smoothly - like smudge them together? If it does that - its probably a feature for SDTV people.

dEtHsLaYeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 dEtHsLaYeR
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts

I just recently switched to an HDMI cable and found it amazing when I turned on Full RGB colour under display settings as well as Super-White. It made the games look so much better, I was rather suprised.

I was just wondering if anyone has turned on the Cross Colour Reduction Filter? Does it make anything look better, or should I leave it off?

LtColJaxson

Naw, leave it on

All of the games look so much better....my uncle is a game designer that works in raleigh north carolina, and helped design the XMB. He told me to turn it on and keep it on (if i wanted to), its just some weird factory default setting.

silude21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silude21
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
Actually according to Sonys Online Instruction Manual it says only set to ON if using a AV cable or S-video cable.
dEtHsLaYeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 dEtHsLaYeR
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts

Actually according to Sonys Online Instruction Manual it says only set to ON if using a AV cable or S-video cable. silude21

Actually, the Full setting kicks asss and Sony's online instruction manual is a load of horseshiit

silude21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silude21
lol, there is no full setting. your thinking RGB full or limited......smart azz...ill take what sony said over your Uncle...some weird factory default setting huh...lol..
silude21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silude21

LtColJaxson
hes asking about the CCRF, not RGB. BTW i still have RGB set to limited and super white to off. i remember i tested it with RFOM and it seemed worse (Washed out colors), maybe ill try it again. BTW i have a HDTV 720p/1080i hooked up via hdmi cable.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

silude21

hes asking about the CCRF, not RGB. BTW i still have RGB set to limited and super white to off. i remember i tested it with RFOM and it seemed worse (Washed out colors), maybe ill try it again. BTW i have a HDTV 720p/1080i hooked up via hdmi cable.

I think they are only for 1080p sets with the right specifications, so that's probably why it did not improve you're picture. I never used it until I got my new Tv.
silude21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silude21
hmmm, gotta research this a bit. thx for the tip.
Dude543211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dude543211
Member since 2004 • 2790 Posts

The Playstation 3 has a "Cross Color Reduction Filter" to basically reduce color noise (faded images), while using only an AV cable (the white, yellow and red cable). You really shouldn't worry about this if you're using HDMI or Component cables. But if you're using the AV in 480i, turn this setting on.

Found Here.

SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
You know I was wondering about this as well. The thing is that with my HDTV, I see A LOOOOOOOOOOOT of purple, when I'm in a dark area in the games I see it, in fog or dust or whatever in games as well I see it a lot.
otto1967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 otto1967
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
In classic bs ps3 fashion, the manual says nothing about cross color filter, the sony site had bupkiss, and I had to google it. Says it helps w/ color "noise" when using an av (composite) or s-video cable. So i gather it shouldn't make any difference w/ an hdmi cable. IMO Sony has really embarassed itself and compromised its decent reputation w/ the ps3. Regardless of its "capabilities" it's the most user-unfriendly piece of hardware I've ever experienced. Ridiculous. The connectivity issues w/ routers is the stuff of lawsuits.
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

silude21

It only changes things when HDMI is in use. And that does not mean HD component cables.

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts

You know I was wondering about this as well. The thing is that with my HDTV, I see A LOOOOOOOOOOOT of purple, when I'm in a dark area in the games I see it, in fog or dust or whatever in games as well I see it a lot.SPD_WeBmAsTaH

You may need to calibrate your HDTV. Check your TV's gray scale and you will also need to adjust your TV's Perfect colors. I know my TV gives me 6 to adjust, but your TV maybe different. Wish I could give you more advice but since I do not know what TV you have, I can only give you limited info. You can try searching the net for a ISF calibration guide for the make and model of your HDTV. Hope this helps.

Shaoran_Li

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shaoran_Li
Member since 2004 • 613 Posts

I'm using an S-video with those AV acables mabobber. I'm slightly a techy guy but still not fully so help lol. I had Color Noise Reduction ON and I noticed things looked less sharper :? I take it that this Color Noise Reduction is suppose to be a good thing for the type of TV I'm using but less sharp is kinda not cool for me.

I know it's all up to our own eyes to decide our own views but I think I'm better off with off unless it's not good for my eyes or something...

IchiYamamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IchiYamamoto
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
In SD, the cross color filter(on) blurs the letters, in xmb, they are blurred, in GTA4, all letters are illegible.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

IchiYamamoto: no need to reply to a 4 year old thread.