could sonys console sales rise if?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts
could Sony's console sales rise if they offered a stripped down version of the ps3 that is equivalent to the 360 arcade. meaning a console, with a 256 MB card, no hard drive (option to install later) and no wifi. (option to install wifi later via accessory). that would bring the cost down and silence the idiots who think that the console is too expensive. give them the option to tack on expensive items such as these later. weather we like it or not, there are some people who just don't get it! you know what i mean? Sony needs to accommodate for this. what do you think? i only say this because it really irritates me to see people bash this beautiful piece of hardware because of cost. Sony made so many versions since launch why not a basic version yet?
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
could Sony's console sales rise if they offered a stripped down version of the ps3 that is equivalent to the 360 arcade. meaning a console, with a 256 MB card, no hard drive (option to install later) and no wifi. (option to install wifi later via accessory). that would bring the cost down and silence the idiots who think that the console is too expensive. give them the option to tack on expensive items such as these later. weather we like it or not, there are some people who just don't get it! you know what i mean? Sony needs to accommodate for this. what do you think? i only say this because it really irritates me to see people bash this beautiful piece of hardware because of cost. Sony made so many versions since launch why not a basic version yet?donmega1
eww, no... the PS3 needs a HDD, it needs to stay powerful. they just need to promote their really good games like MGS4, and LBP
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
The hard drive needs to stay intact. Too many games nowadays require an install and just imagine that person who does not do their research before purchasing. They get home, get it all set up, and then put the disk in getting all ready to play their new game only to have the install prevent them for doing that since they do not have enough memory.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
The pricing would be $299 for that model, based on your comparison...That's still not "cheap".
Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts
It couldn't cope with that memory. PS3 games are usually installed on the HDD, and use up several gigs occasionally. And no wifi sounds like an awfull idea.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Their sales would rise by a hell of a lot. But no HDD would be a problem.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts
The pricing would be $299 for that model, based on your comparison...That's still not "cheap".spazzx625
i don't think your totally accurate please explain. Microsoft charges $100 for the wifi networking accessory. up to like 60 for a HDD. laptop HDD's gotta cost more. Sony could get it down to $250 easy. still take a small hit like every console but get more gamers.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Your inclusions are the same as the Xbox 360 Arcade...Which is $199 compared to the Pro, which is $299. There is $100 difference in price between the two, thus $399 - $100 = $299.
hoodoomoovoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hoodoomoovoo
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
could Sony's console sales rise if they offered a stripped down version of the ps3 that is equivalent to the 360 arcade. meaning a console, with a 256 MB card, no hard drive (option to install later) and no wifi. (option to install wifi later via accessory). that would bring the cost down and silence the idiots who think that the console is too expensive. give them the option to tack on expensive items such as these later. weather we like it or not, there are some people who just don't get it! you know what i mean? Sony needs to accommodate for this. what do you think? i only say this because it really irritates me to see people bash this beautiful piece of hardware because of cost. Sony made so many versions since launch why not a basic version yet?donmega1
No this would be worse because then when devs make PS3 games they would stop making HD installations which would in turn cause a downfall in features/fun during games. And no WiFi? xbox live already kicks PSN's *** and to limit the amount of ppl available on it would make ppl think that the 360 is better choice because you will have to buy WiFI for both anyways!
dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts
no thanks
Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Kruegmeister
Member since 2003 • 539 Posts
Find me ONE idiot who Bought the Arcade who Did not have to Buy a Hard Drive for it within 3 months... The 360 "Requires" the Hard Drive too... They just did that to sucker in the Moms and Dads who do not know any better. I wish the 360 had the HardDrive Mandatory, then Maps in Halo3 Forge wouldn't be limited to 100...
CloudRainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CloudRainy
Member since 2008 • 194 Posts

Find me ONE idiot who Bought the Arcade who Did not have to Buy a Hard Drive for it within 3 months... The 360 "Requires" the Hard Drive too... They just did that to sucker in the Moms and Dads who do not know any better. I wish the 360 had the HardDrive Mandatory, then Maps in Halo3 Forge wouldn't be limited to 100...Kruegmeister

I just bought an Arcade recently...I'm tempted to buy a HD.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#13 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
i wouldnt like it but ya sales would improve. Thts y all of the Xbox players bought an Xbox
McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#14 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
Most games for PS3 don't even give the option of install or no install. Alot of people would be returning their PS3's because they're too frickin' stupid to do their research or they just didn't realize it had no HDD...*eyeroll*
superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
Probably not a good idea. The hard drive is important for game installs, and it's not like there's a memory card slot for game saves. PS3 sales will probably start growing anyway as Blu-Ray starts to phase out DVDs, so Sony shouldn't be in too big of a hurry trying to lure in consumers with a cheap, hard drive-less console.
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
Why should Sony give up extras that make the PS3 great it the first place? Just cause the 360 has a year lead and "more gamers"? Pffft! I've seen more people turn around and say they gave up on the 360 after too many RRoD's and would prefer a PS3. And the options to "tack" the expensive items on later wouldn't be an option to many cause sooner or later they wil need the HDD and WiFI.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
That model wouldn't exist. Sony said specifically the PS3's design concept includes a HDD, wifi(not sure about this one but its still there), and a blu ray player. Wouldn't be a PS3 without it.