Concerns about the durability of the new "Super Slim" PS3 model

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RACiEP (687 posts) -

Hello everyone. I was planning to buy another PS3 this cyber Monday to replace my old, fat PS3 model that unfortunately died. I noticed that this new super slim model is really being pushed and even has avery tempting Assassin's Creed III bundle (which is only $20 more than the un-bundled PS3 slim model on Amazon).

Financially, the super slim seems to be the way to go, but in addition to it being absolutely fugly, I'm very concerned about the durability. I am constantly seeing things by people saying that it seems very cheap, especially the manual disk drive door.

Has anyone had any experience with this new model?

As a PS2 slim owner, I realize that redesigns can be a good thing for durability, but I'm not so sure about this model.

#2 Posted by 2Chalupas (5320 posts) -
It's too new to REALLY know about reliability, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I'm expecting it to be at least as reliable if not more than the previous versions. I'm also eyeing a replacement PS3 and the super-slim is what I'm likely going to get. Although I do wish that the 500GB bundle was a part of black Friday, I'm looking at the black Friday bundles which are $199. I figure if I sell the games (which I already own) that will bring down the next cost to about $170-ish.
#3 Posted by MarcRecon (6250 posts) -

I'm really tempted to get that 500g model, but my slim and fatty are holding up pretty good.

#4 Posted by JustBoomer (188 posts) -

I have the 500 gb bundle with assassin's creed, for me it's an awesome system. I like the way it looks, and you just press the buttom up front to open the door. But to close it you slide the door back, but no problems, so far.

And just $300.00 for the 500 gb.

#5 Posted by RACiEP (687 posts) -

I have the 500 gb bundle with assassin's creed, for me it's an awesome system. I like the way it looks, and you just press the buttom up front to open the door. But to close it you slide the door back, but no problems, so far.

And just $300.00 for the 500 gb.

JustBoomer

Hey, so what do you think of the build quality? Does it feel especially cheap to you? Is it noisier, hotter, etc. than the older models? Is there anything about the new model that you think could turn into an issue in the future.