Classic RPG gamers unite, I need your help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

So some of you might remember me as the guy trying to beat Final Fantasy VIII, well I just beat it and I'm shocked on how good it was. I feel like an idiot for bashing the game for almost a decade, my FFIV and FFVII fanboyism got in the way.

Well, now I need your help on deciding which game I should play first from these three titles:

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy IX

The Legend of Dragoon

I own all of these games on my HDD and I can't decide on which to play. I'm looking for the shortest game to longest I suppose or from best to worst.

And yes I've beaten Chrono Trigger 100% so don't recommend that for me.

Well thank you for your help and I hope someone replies quickly so I can start the next bad boy =]

Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts

I would go with FF IX, Legend of Dragoon then Chrono Cross but that's me. Not sure you can go wrong picking any one of those three next, they all are excellent games imo.

NightStein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 NightStein
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts
Glad you enjoyed VIII, stick with IX those two are still my favs FF's and they're pretty different so you won't feel like you're playing the same game. Chrono Cross wasn't as good as FF IX though it can be shorter, and never played TLoD so i can't tell about it.
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 happy_dude64

^Yeah I started really liking the game towards the third disk, Squall stopped being such a terrible mute and such. lol

Alrught, so FF9 so far...anybody else have any opinions on what order to play them on?

Also anybody know the lenght of each game? About how many hours with some sidequesting and such.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I think you should go to a different series for a game, "Chrono Cross".

:D

(Glad you liked FF finally! Sometimes it takes YEARS to properly appreciate a game!)

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 happy_dude64

^For reals man, it took me years to appreciate Uncharted as well, lol.

I just didn't like Squal overall, but he kinda grew on me, not too bad of a guy.

so 3 for FF9 and 1 for CC.

Any idea how long either of those game will take me to beat?

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Wow some very nice choices. Brings me back :) Go for CC :)
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I would definitely play FF IX. Awesome! It will be substantially different than VIII, but will bring you back to the older final fantasies.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 is my all time favorite game and always will be. I could not make it past the 1st disc of FF8, because it is so bad.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 happy_dude64

Final Fantasy 7 is my all time favorite game and always will be. I could not make it past the 1st disc of FF8, because it is so bad.

soundcellx
I know the feeling man, my favorite RPGS, hell my favorite games are FF7 and Chrono Trigger, also other titles including Zelda and MGS, and it took me years to get off of the first disk of FF8, it actually get better, not FF7 better, but overall better.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

happy_dude64

I know the feeling man, my favorite RPGS, hell my favorite games are FF7 and Chrono Trigger, also other titles including Zelda and MGS, and it took me years to get off of the first disk of FF8, it actually get better, not FF7 better, but overall better.

I'm not sure I will ever get back to it. I kinda want to finish it just so I can say I did, and to experience everything in it. I finished FF9 twice, despite that one not being so great either.

Well, I will say that FF8 is a bajillion times better than the current Final Fantasy XIII trashfest, that's for sure. What score would you give it? Congrats on conquering it, but for me, I'm not so sure.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Since FF7 is you favorite one (mine too) and you enjoyed VIII, go ahead and play IX. When I played through FF8, I actually found Laguna Lore to be more interesting than the protagonist and kind-of wished the game was about him instead.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 happy_dude64

Since FF7 is you favorite one (mine too) and you enjoyed VIII, go ahead and play IX. When I played through FF8, I actually found Laguna Lore to be more interesting than the protagonist and kind-of wished the game was about him instead.

Bubble_Man
DUDE ME TOO!! LAguna was the best character in the game, then Irvine. Laguna should have his own spin off game...the ending was so sad for him, kinda got all warm and fuzzy inside.
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 happy_dude64

[QUOTE="happy_dude64"][QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

I'm not sure I will ever get back to it. I kinda want to finish it just so I can say I did, and to experience everything in it. I finished FF9 twice, despite that one not being so great either.

Well, I will say that FF8 is a bajillion times better than the current Final Fantasy XIII trashfest, that's for sure. What score would you give it? Congrats on conquering it, but for me, I'm not so sure.

I actually enjoyed 13 after giving it multiple tries then I finally beat it and almost plat'd the game. Its not too bad, just not enough exploration. I give FF8 possibly an 3.5-4 out of 5. Pretty good but not FF7 good, haha.
Brandon31577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brandon31577
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
FF9,but xenogears if you can.
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 happy_dude64

Alrighty people, thank you all for your feedback but now I know what order I'll be playing the games in.

Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, then FFIX...I got to go for the udnerdog, haha. I love Rocky what can I say. Thanks again =]

ra84ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ra84ma
Member since 2012 • 159 Posts

I dont know why, but Final fantasy IX was one of the one i enjoyed the most... not such a fan of the new ones

Chronno cross is good also

dont know the other one :D

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
FF9,but xenogears if you can.Brandon31577
Yep xenogears was a lot of fun too!
supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
Get yer head out of yer butt. You're still stuck on 7 with it's outdated graphics and typos? Granted, 13 isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't a trashfest. Let me guess, you played 7 when you were a young lad and it brings you back to a warm fuzzy place whenever you hear about it now. Don't let nostalgia blind you from appreciating new games.
supern0va9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 supern0va9
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts

[QUOTE="happy_dude64"][QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Get yer head out of yer butt. You're still stuck on 7 with it's outdated graphics and typos? Granted, 13 isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't a trashfest. Let me guess, you played 7 when you were a young lad and it brings you back to a warm fuzzy place whenever you hear about it now. Don't let nostalgia blind you from appreciating new games.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Slightly off topic but here's what you REALLY should do if you love FF7: Buy a PSP (very cheap right now, it costs like less than 2 full priced PS3 games now these days yeah?) and buy Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
I played Crisis Core because I was a huge fan and it was a letdown. Sure, I enjoyed seeing how a lot of things started and some background on Cloud and Zack, but Genesis annoyed the hell out of me with his constant 'Loveless' references and 'The gift of the goddess'. Not to mention the game was WAY too easy. If you manage your materia correctly, you're a monster. I have to play with Sephiroth just to hear his whole theme, and I overpowered the last boss. It was a fun game, but didn't even touch the hype.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
All 3 of those are pretty long. Shortest to Longest might be Crono Cross, FFIX and then LoD. But when I played LoD on my PS2 about 10 years ago the screen transition took forever and the audio for the Battle Animation Cutscenes would be over with about 12 seconds of animation left. Best to worse is likely FFIX, CC, then LoD @supernova9... try using the edit feature in pull down menu, next time. Better yet... just delete one of your duplicates. Or both....
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xWoW_Rougex

I played Crisis Core because I was a huge fan and it was a letdown. Sure, I enjoyed seeing how a lot of things started and some background on Cloud and Zack, but Genesis annoyed the hell out of me with his constant 'Loveless' references and 'The gift of the goddess'. Not to mention the game was WAY too easy. If you manage your materia correctly, you're a monster. I have to play with Sephiroth just to hear his whole theme, and I overpowered the last boss. It was a fun game, but didn't even touch the hype. Sophette

I totally 100% disagree! :p

I think the game was very touching. The slot machine in the combat was very flashy so I never got tired of that by the way. Many materias and it was fun to combine them! I do agree though that the normal difficulty is very very easy but fortunately the game offers hard difficulty from the start! Although not my favorite, I did not dislike Genesis and but I digged Angeal though. The extremely likable characters, such as Zack, Angeal, the Turks, all made the game very enjoyable for me. I also absolutely worship the music of this game, soundtrack is just superb, it's probably my favorite game soundtrack ever. It's one of my favorite games really and it might be worth pointing out that I am not even that much of a fan of FF7. I think FF9, FF8 are much better than FF7 so it's not like I am completely blinded by some crazy FF7-fanboyism! I bought a PSP when it still was rather expensive, just to play this game and hell, it was so worth it!

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xWoW_Rougex

All 3 of those are pretty long. Shortest to Longest might be Crono Cross, FFIX and then LoD. But when I played LoD on my PS2 about 10 years ago the screen transition took forever and the audio for the Battle Animation Cutscenes would be over with about 12 seconds of animation left. Best to worse is likely FFIX, CC, then LoD @supernova9... try using the edit feature in pull down menu, next time. Better yet... just delete one of your duplicates. Or both....Threesixtyci

I recently picked up LoD and it felt really slow, everytime an enemy started casting a spell I let out a big sigh! Although I almost want to say the opposite.

I never completed Chrono Cross but I did get very far but from what I remember, I'd dare say that Chrono Cross is in fact the longest of these 3, in fact, I remember this game as being really friggin' long.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
So, i guess you don't know about the ridiculous true ending requirement, then.
happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 happy_dude64
[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="happy_dude64"] I know the feeling man, my favorite RPGS, hell my favorite games are FF7 and Chrono Trigger, also other titles including Zelda and MGS, and it took me years to get off of the first disk of FF8, it actually get better, not FF7 better, but overall better.supern0va9

Wow dude, you make yourself sound so ignorant. Just because a game has outdated graphics and typos does not mean its a bad game. Are you trying to say A Link to the Past is bad? How about Sonic the Hedgehog 2? Oh! What about Super Mario Bros 3? Jesus, whats the point in talking down to someone because they chose a certain game to be there favorite game of all time? Grow up. Get yer head out of yer butt. You're still stuck on 7 with it's outdated graphics and typos? Granted, 13 isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't a trashfest. Let me guess, you played 7 when you were a young lad and it brings you back to a warm fuzzy place whenever you hear about it now. Don't let nostalgia blind you from appreciating new games.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soundcellx

Get yer head out of yer butt. You're still stuck on 7 with it's outdated graphics and typos? Granted, 13 isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't a trashfest. Let me guess, you played 7 when you were a young lad and it brings you back to a warm fuzzy place whenever you hear about it now. Don't let nostalgia blind you from appreciating new games.supern0va9
On the contrary, it sounds like your head is way up your butt, so far in that your butt is in your butt.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with FF7 being a superb game, that holds up today and is still better than any other JRPG ever created. In fact, I played Super Mario RPG way before FF7, so according to you, I should like SMRPG way more than FF7. Despite SMRPG being in my top 10 fave games of all time, and playing it first, FF7 is still the best game ever made. Sick of your stupid nostalgia argument.

Also, you being so concerned about graphics confirms that you are a new gamer and must be a 13 year old clone of doofy player who screams obscenities and racial slurs into your headset. Oh and clone of doofy also has terrible graffixxx, so lolz!

don't let you being a preteen clone of doofy player blind you from knowing the greatness of the classics, and grafffiixxkks has nothing to do with a game being good or not.

and yes, FFXIII is freaking terrible trashfest since it is just a freaking hallway with no freaking exploration. such a severely limiting game that does not give any options or freedom. how could that game possibly be good since it is just a 30 hour constricting hallway with just x button mashing with no tactics involved?

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 happy_dude64

[QUOTE="supern0va9"]Get yer head out of yer butt. You're still stuck on 7 with it's outdated graphics and typos? Granted, 13 isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't a trashfest. Let me guess, you played 7 when you were a young lad and it brings you back to a warm fuzzy place whenever you hear about it now. Don't let nostalgia blind you from appreciating new games.soundcellx

On the contrary, it sounds like your head is way up your butt, so far in that your butt is in your butt.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with FF7 being a superb game, that holds up today and is still better than any other JRPG ever created. In fact, I played Super Mario RPG way before FF7, so according to you, I should like SMRPG way more than FF7. Despite SMRPG being in my top 10 fave games of all time, and playing it first, FF7 is still the best game ever made. Sick of your stupid nostalgia argument.

Also, you being so concerned about graphics confirms that you are a new gamer and must be a 13 year old clone of doofy player who screams obscenities and racial slurs into your headset. Oh and clone of doofy also has terrible graffixxx, so lolz!

don't let you being a preteen clone of doofy player blind you from knowing the greatness of the classics, and grafffiixxkks has nothing to do with a game being good or not.

and yes, FFXIII is freaking terrible trashfest since it is just a freaking hallway with no freaking exploration. such a severely limiting game that does not give any options or freedom. how could that game possibly be good since it is just a 30 hour constricting hallway with just x button mashing with no tactics involved?

I agree with most of what you said about FF7, people are just pathetic now a days. Yet I dont agree with you about 13, but thats not the point. That guy is an idiot.