Castlevania? Play the demo and thought it was good...why a 7.5 GS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

Hey for those that purchased Castlevania...why did gamespot give it a 7.5? It seems it should of deserved a little higher then that. Or is that full game really not that good?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
It's been a pretty good game so far, although I'm only a few chapters in to a very long game. 7.5 is a good score based on gamespots criteria tho. a lot of people seem to ignore that.
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hkymike
Thanks for the fast response back dude. It is 14.99 ?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Nah it's 60 bucks.. It's a full retail game.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
Why is it a 7.5? cuz its not that very good of a game, its alright not that special like people wanted it to be
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

7.5 is a good score.

I always recommend to people to make their own judgement and to take any review with grain of salt.

I'm on chapter 4 now and so far the game is well beyond 8.5 score for myself.

Reviews scores mean little to nothing for me, the actual content of a professional reviewer is what I take into consideration. The point is to use your own judgement. If I had believed in some magical numbers I would had been missed good amount of great game. ;)

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 J-WOW
Thanks for the fast response back dude. It is 14.99 ?hkymike
$15???? whare are you getting this from? its $60 like all new games are priced
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hkymike
[QUOTE="hkymike"]Thanks for the fast response back dude. It is 14.99 ?J-WOW

I thought it was a PSN arcade game. Thanks for all the feedback
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Castlevania Shadow of the Night is on PSN.. It's either 5, 10, or 15 bucks. It's pretty good. It's a PS1 classic.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 J-WOW
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="hkymike"]Thanks for the fast response back dude. It is 14.99 ?hkymike

lol no, man you need to step your game up bro and get yourself ejumacated
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
Symphony of the Night, it's called. And it's better than pretty good. But it's not a hard arcade type game ( like the original ), with all the bottomless pits. It's more like metroid, where the whole castle is open, and you have to go back to places where you had already been at, to get stuff. And they added some light rpg elements too. If your looking for some nice old school Castlevania action, ( like me ), then unfortunately, this new game isn't going to cut it for you.
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
It has an 84 average on Metacritic, so Gamespot's score was lower than most.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I found it to look good based on the Demo, checking out the reviews, it seems that this one will be a hate it or love it type of game. Castlevania is best known for when it was in 2D, every other 3D Castlvania was horrible by the majority. Even though I played the demo and I found it to be pretty good, idk if I would get it, GS's review score seemed a bit low after the positive feedback, GT's review seemed to praise it more, but the score is still lower than I would assume after those coments made.

aijou_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 aijou_
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts

Castlevania Shadow of the Night is on PSN.. It's either 5, 10, or 15 bucks. It's pretty good. It's a PS1 classic.MethodManFTW

Say Whaaat? Shadow of the night? You must mean Symphony of the Night. :D It's only the best Castlevania game, EVER! Easily a 9.5 if not a 10. At least thats my opinion.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Castlevania Shadow of the Night is on PSN.. It's either 5, 10, or 15 bucks. It's pretty good. It's a PS1 classic.aijou_

Say Whaaat? Shadow of the night? You must mean Symphony of the Night. :D It's only the best Castlevania game, EVER! Easily a 9.5 if not a 10. At least thats my opinion.

yes, as established a few posts up. and technically its an 8.9 here. but ratings are dumb, and only enable dumb people.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
Yea, don't get too crazy about #'s OP. It's all a nonsense. ( Andy Grey voice )
aijou_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aijou_
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts

[QUOTE="aijou_"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Castlevania Shadow of the Night is on PSN.. It's either 5, 10, or 15 bucks. It's pretty good. It's a PS1 classic.MethodManFTW

yes, as established a few posts up. and technically its an 8.9 here. but ratings are dumb, and only enable dumb people.

Yeah, I noticed, sorry. Still a 9.5 -10 IMO. No matter what it got from gamespot. Personally I think ratings are good as long as everyone knows that they're ALWAYS individual. Especially when you are on the same site a lot and you start to get to know what the different reviewers like and you can compare that to what you like. That way you'll know that this reviewer has similar taste in gam as you do while that one has a compleatly different taste. Sorry for straying from the subject.

BTW the reviewer of the new castlevania clearly stated that it was a really good game both in the review and in the Hotspot podcast. the main reason for the low score was that the greatest parts of the game had been borrowed too much from other games like shadow of the colosus and god of war. I'm looking forwart to playing the game myself and give it my own evaluation.

KoolzKatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KoolzKatz
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

Its funny, if a game scores below an 8 people wont believe its a good game. Im guilty of this myself, but it had a lot of points knocked its total because its lack of originality. Many review sites spoke highly of its environments and combat but knocked it for its derivative gameplay.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

7.5 is generous from GS, dude... The demo is not the complete game. Demos can often show the most fun a game has in it, total... and perhaps the game becomes repetitive ("InFAMOUS", anyone?) though it remains consistantly playable ("InFAMOUS", anyone?) graphics and voice work remain solid ("InFAMOUS", anyone?) and AVERAGE gamers will respond by playing it all the way through and praising it, though it's really nothing unique... "InFAMOUS", anyone?

I'm not picking on "InFAMOUS" here... I liked it for it's strengths and am waiting patiently for the second game, with hopes that the promise of the first one (with solid yet repetitive gameplay, constant, solid controls, graphics, voice work, etc. etc., is now fulfilled.But if I am to be honest, the first game wasn't all that fantastic as a whole. Sure I finished it and sure I had fun, but I wouldn't rate the game any higher than about 7.5 for it's content.

7.5 is a solid score. It says something is playable and after that it's really the individual's tastes and interpretations that come into play. If you're a Castlevania fan or a Beat'em'Up (GoW, Dante's Inferno, Ghost Rider) fan then this game should be on your "To Do" list... But in the end remember that a review is often written by a journalism student with a deadline on the horizon.

Remember writing Term Papaers? Ok... Same Deal.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

It has an 84 average on Metacritic, so Gamespot's score was lower than most. The_Pig_Hostage

its 86% on the PS3, it deserves more than a 7.5, to be honest it has 8's and 9's across the board

only IGN, GS and GT gave it below 8, IGN UK made up for it a bit though with an 8.5 score

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#21 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If Gamespot give a game 7.5/10 it means its good.I think 7.5 is the right score

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Because it's their opinion.
Zanthiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zanthiago
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

Castlevania got a way higher score in other sites and magazines. I do not why it got a 7.5 in Gamespot.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Castlevania got a way higher score in other sites and magazines. I do not why it got a 7.5 in Gamespot.

Zanthiago
Like I said, it's the opinion of the staff.After all, that's what reviews basically are. Just how you like some games that other people hate.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#25 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

7.5 most likely cause it was nothing like the Other Castlevania games.

I don't know, I can't play the dang game because My PS3 is dead, Spent $80 for the Special Edition for nothing.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

Dude a 7.5 is a great score, I swear Gamespot should give out more 7's just so spoiled people could stop complaining if a game gets lower then a 9.

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"]It has an 84 average on Metacritic, so Gamespot's score was lower than most. gillri

its 86% on the PS3, it deserves more than a 7.5, to be honest it has 8's and 9's across the board

only IGN, GS and GT gave it below 8, IGN UK made up for it a bit though with an 8.5 score

IGN UK's review made me laugh, simply because it was so much better written than the US one. It's kind of embarassing for Hatfield.

Anyhoo it's perfectly understandable why GS gave a 7.5. It's a good score; some people don't like games that are somewhat deriative. I find it rather asinine to judge a game like that(unless they totally bomb what they were taking inspiration from), since many high scoring games this gen are deriative, but that's just me.

I mean look at Uncharted 2. It's the highest scoring game on the PS3, and it's definately my favorite PS3 game, but you can easily boil down the gameplay to Tonb Raider+Gears. Though, to its credit, it did do some awesome things with storytelling and was incredibly polished. I haven't played LOS yet, so I can't really speak for it in that department(hopefully getting it tonight)

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I'm a few levels in on Lords of Shadow and I'd say 7.5 is fitting for it. It's a solid action game with some incredible visuals and sounds, but it's nothing groundbreaking.

SiMz07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SiMz07
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

IGN/GT/GS all gave it under an 8. Now i dunno about you but those are the 3 sites i frequent, and check for credibility. So there must be some reason. Don't knock the reviewers until you've actually played the game yourself.

From what I've seen and experienced of the game it does seem fitting. The biggest quarrel i have with this title is it feels too much like Gow!. Now im not saying that's a bad thing however.. if you don't plan to adapt and evolve on the formula from anything beyond what's been done. Then rightfully so your going to get labeled with being a carbon copy. The game did look promising, and you were hoping for it to have it's own originality...but it fell short. Didn't seem to improve on little things previous titles failed on, i.e invisible walls, platforming, camera angles. Instead it recycled what's been done and tacked the Castlevania label on it.

It almost feels like this game was something else, and then in development to stir up attention it got the Castlevania name. The similarities already pointed out are Gow, Shadows of the colossus, Dante's inferno (Story Elements). If the title wasn't "Castlevania" would you still defend the scores?

There's nothing wrong with using what works, but if it doesn't have your own feel or identity actually mixed in to the ingredients then expect the criticism to follow. The reason for it being so disappointing is it seemed to be that AAA title from the East, the budget, production, team. It had expectations, and such promise, but didn't capitalize on them in the end. Which is why some people find the scores hard to digest.

All in all 7.5 is a good score, it means it's a good game, not the greatest of the genre but worth checking out if your a fan of the name, or the gameplay
So Play it, Critique it, and then come back an' post your thoughts after the curtains closed.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It almost feels like this game was something else, and then in development to stir up attention it got the Castlevania name.SiMz07

That's pretty much the feeling I got.

LightGalaxy_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LightGalaxy_07
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="hkymike"]Thanks for the fast response back dude. It is 14.99 ?hkymike

you are making me laugh! !!! :))
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
If you want to know why they gave it a score of 7.5, then, read the review. There is a reason someone wrote it. I'm sure you're capable of reading.
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
It has an average of 86 (ps3 version ) in metacritic. The review of gamespot its awfull if you ask me, i suggest you read the review of games radar, They gave it a 9.0 and they explain very good points and cover all aspects great.