Can someone clarify about Gaikai/backwards compatibility?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Duel_King_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Duel_King_X
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts

I'm still a bit confused as to what it all means. Does the implementation of this system mean they'll be adding backwards compatibility with ps3 discs, or does it mean they'll simply be making ps3 games available to download over time? I'm trying to find out if I should bother with buying a ps3 console now so I can play exclusives like The Last of Us, or if they'll be available to play eventually on the ps4.

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

I'm still a bit confused as to what it all means. Does the implementation of this system mean they'll be adding backwards compatibility with ps3 discs, or does it mean they'll simply be making ps3 games available to download over time? I'm trying to find out if I should bother with buying a ps3 console now so I can play exclusives like The Last of Us, or if they'll be available to play eventually on the ps4.

Duel_King_X

Don't quote me on this

but I think they are making a digital libary of games, not making discs backwards compatible, and i don't think there has been anything on wether you can download games you already purchased for free or reduced price.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

What they're planning to do is add Gaikai *Streaming* which will be used for backwards compatibility. I don't believe it'll have anything to do with discs nor will you be downloading anything, Gaikai was primarily a streaming service and that is what Sony wants to use it for as their BC method. Their future goals will also be to use the service to let me stream their games to their phones/tablets while they're on the go but it's up in the air if that'll launch when the first start up the service.

Duel_King_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duel_King_X
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts

I see. So its probably best to wait and see what the eventual plans are rather than dropping nearly $500 on a console and games?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I see. So its probably best to wait and see what the eventual plans are rather than dropping nearly $500 on a console and games?

Duel_King_X
If backwards capability is that important to you, then yes. I plan to still have a PS3 along with my PS4.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Duel_King_X
If you're buying a PS4 to play PS3 games you're missing the point of getting a whole new console in the first place.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
but it's up in the air if that'll launch when the first start up the service.TwistedShade
I actually think they said at E3 that Gaikai is coming later on. I can't remember if they gave a specific date, though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

[QUOTE="Duel_King_X"]

Kravyn81

If you're buying a PS4 to play PS3 games you're missing the point of getting a whole new console in the first place.

Very true. I know that the OP probably wants to know for the long haul, if they will be able to play PS1, 2 and 3 games. But I think they should make sure the new games on the PS4 are interesting to them before buying it

I do think Gaikai will be a major focus of the PS4, because brand history is what Sony focused on leading up to their PS4 unveil. So I can understand that someone would want more information about the service. But the PS4 seems to be doing a lot of other things right, so I think it's worth it for the new stuff.

Also, I think (but I'm not certain) that games are going to be 'added' to Gaikai like they are added to the PSOne and PS2 Classics sections now. So you might not have every PS1, PS2 and PS3 game at your fingertips right away, if that's what you're hoping for. And I don't know if you'll pay a subscription fee to play all of the games on Gaikai, or if you will pay to stream individual games. They will probably have more to say about all of this closer to launch, or sometime after it.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

There are not a whole lot of details on Gaikai at the moment.  Sony is going to use Gaikai to stream classic games to PS4 since the system will not have the parts to play the games through disc.  As long as Gaikai is part of the online service and does not cost extra, then everything will be fine.  The only iffy part is how often Sony updates the library of Gaikai.  Putting up three generations PlayStation games is probably going to be rough on the company.Â