Can I play ps3 on a small TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Im looking to by a ps3 this weekend but the TV in my room is really small. Its around a foot in length and width. The wii works perfectly on it, will a ps3 work too?

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
I don't see why not. I hope it has either an HDMI port or component inputs so you're not stuck playing in SD.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
I hope it has either an HDMI port or component inputs so you're not stuck playing in SD. jshaas
lol, it wouldn't matter at that screen size.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 martinX3X
I don't see why not. I hope it has either an HDMI port or component inputs so you're not stuck playing in SD. jshaas
no it basically has 2 imputs. thats it.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jshaas
[QUOTE="martinX3X"][QUOTE="jshaas"] no it basically has 2 imputs. thats it.

Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD.
[QUOTE="jshaas"] I hope it has either an HDMI port or component inputs so you're not stuck playing in SD. clicketyclick

Well, any little bit helps... thanks for your input though.
Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

You can play fine, just don't expect to be able to read any text, especially in RPG's or MGS4.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

[QUOTE="martinX3X"]no it basically has 2 imputs. thats it. jshaas
Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD..

It's going to be difficult because of the screen size more than because of SD.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 martinX3X

[QUOTE="jshaas"][QUOTE="martinX3X"]no it basically has 2 imputs. thats it. clicketyclick

Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD..

Are you serious about the text? hmmm. When i plugged my wii in, i could see text just fine. And guys it's not like a really crappy one from the 90's or something. It's from 2005 right before all the flatscreens came out. i dont know if that matters or not.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="jshaas"] Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD..martinX3X

Are you serious about the text? hmmm. When i plugged my wii in, i could see text just fine. And guys it's not like a really crappy one from the 90's or something. It's from 2005 right before all the flatscreens came out. i dont know if that matters or not.

people are over exaggerating, it works fine on small tv and you can read eveyrthing, no worries
DemonIced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DemonIced
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

The text reading is a big problem on SD televisions, I have a big 60 inch SD TV and I still have trouble reading anything in MGS4 or Modnation Racers (or any little text), it was easier to read on a 20 inch HD tv than on my 60 inch SDTV...

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 martinX3X

[QUOTE="martinX3X"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

Chris_Williams

people are over exaggerating, it works fine on small tv and you can read eveyrthing, no worries

i knew it. thanks. btw im getting the original 40 gb model so it might be bigger than my tv :P

lordfalsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lordfalsus
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

40 gb sux

anyways.... yea i play on a 10 inch monitor at work i mean you can play the game but youll be lacking alotta of the hi def stuff... but its playable

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

You can, but some minimaps are almost impossible to read. At least, that was my experience with it.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
HDTV is the way to go. It is almost like night and day difference though. It will be okay if you play on an SDTV but HD is where you will notice a real difference. I love my 46 inch LED.
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="jshaas"][QUOTE="martinX3X"][QUOTE="jshaas"] Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD.
[QUOTE="jshaas"] I hope it has either an HDMI port or component inputs so you're not stuck playing in SD. clicketyclick

Well, any little bit helps... thanks for your input though.

Yeah I was going to mention that. I used to work at GameCrazy, and a lot of the customers would complain that they couldn't read the text because they played on SD televisions.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jshaas
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="jshaas"] Well, it's not going to look that great then. Reading on-screen text is sometimes very difficult in SD..martinX3X

Well, the Wii isn't an HD console like the PS3. That's why you don't have any problems with the image quality. PS3 was made to play in HD... playing on a SD TV is fine if that's what you have. But, you will probably run into some issues with reading small text and/or maps. I say get your PS3 that you want, and then save up for a HDTV. You can find them very pretty good prices these days granted you don't want something huge.
theICE_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theICE_MAN
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

My old SD tv made things very difficult..

ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts
You could also play the PS3 in HD on a PC monitor if it's a newer one that is HDCP compliant. I bought a 24" Dell monitor for $150 and it displays the PS3 in 1080p HD.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

The text reading is a big problem on SD televisions, I have a big 60 inch SD TV and I still have trouble reading anything in MGS4 or Modnation Racers (or any little text), it was easier to read on a 20 inch HD tv than on my 60 inch SDTV...

DemonIced
Go get an eye test then.... I can read my TV and i have a 28inch at 1080p from the other side of my room....
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="DemonIced"]

JohnF111

Go get an eye test then.... I can read my TV and i have a 28inch at 1080p from the other side of my room....

I think you need the eye test.

He said it's a problem on *SD* televisions. If you are on a 1080P then you aren't playing in SD resolution. The text in some games is almost unreadable when the PS3 displays at 480i.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I tried using the ps3 on a standard definition (boob tube) 27" television and it was literally impossible to read any text. It does look great on my 46" samsung lcd though. Huge difference.

evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
your definelty not gona be able to read any text if you have a 12in screen. i hav2 42 in flatscreen adn be for i went hd it was impossible for me to read half the words. you definelty need a newer tv thats about 30 ins bigger
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

DemonIced
lol i use to game on a 60 INCH sd too, and I couldnt read ANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTHING in assassins creed 2, and even worse the text messages in GTA IV. However i have a 25 inch HDTV, and its a whole other story, an epic one. I often game on a 52 inch hdtv, and its the same, just a lil brighter
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

I would hold off on that ps3 and try to get an hdtv lol, i'm serious. I put my ps3 on a 60 inch sdtv, and played FIFA worldcup. The graphics were ugly,however SOME games barely show a huge difference, such as Resistance 1 & 2, Smackdown Vs Raw 08,09,10,cuz they're naturally ugly. But uncharted 1&2 looks great on sd.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
I play on a 25inch t.v sometimes with the PS3 so it should be fine.
Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#26 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

Yeah you can, I should know because I play on a small, none HD screen. And although it would be nice to have an HD T.V im still glad i can just play the PS3

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

Im looking to by a ps3 this weekend but the TV in my room is really small. Its around a foot in length and width. The wii works perfectly on it, will a ps3 work too?

martinX3X
yeah it will work, but game like RDR would be hard to play on it.
hockeydude29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 hockeydude29
Member since 2010 • 10991 Posts
would not recomend it ps3 has such good graphics it would be a waste to play on a small screen. :):):):)
varunvikram1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 varunvikram1
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts
You can play ps3 on almost anything that has a screen. However I would recommend playing it on a tv with hdmi input.