Can I play a game while I have something downloading in the background?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GAMESHARQ (5988 posts) -

That may be a stupid question, but can I?

#2 Posted by parvie (2168 posts) -

Sure, but if you're playing online i think the process stops entirely.

#3 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -

yes. you just cant go/play online.

#4 Posted by risako9 (840 posts) -

yes. you just cant go/play online.

munkeypoo45

You can play online but it'll cancel the pause the download

#5 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
Depends on the game. Some games stop the download even in offline mode.
#6 Posted by blaze_adeel (932 posts) -

i think its something like this

if ur playing a game from blu ray it pauses the download if ur playing from hdd like a psn game then it wont

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

It depends on the game. Most will let you while playing offline, but not all of them. Pretty much all games will pause it when you play online.

#8 Posted by Inmate_69 (96 posts) -
Just to restate what everyone said...depends on the game.
#9 Posted by 2Chalupas (5421 posts) -

It should be added that you CANNOT play games while downloading a patch, game update, or firmware update (which is kind of lame).

Mostly it's just store downloads that will keep downloading as you are playing other games. But as others noted, if you play an "online game", or even the single player mode of a game that has online features, it's likely your download will be paused. With MP games I'm pretty sure ALL of them pause it as a standard practice (which makes sense considering downloading while you play will slow down your connection). With single player it seems to be more up to the game - some games have online connectivity even when you are playing single player (think Autolog in Need for Speed), so in those cases your other downloads get paused while you are playing the game even if technically only in a single player mode.

#10 Posted by gamenerd15 (4478 posts) -

It should be added that you CANNOT play games while downloading a patch, game update, or firmware update (which is kind of lame).

Mostly it's just store downloads that will keep downloading as you are playing other games. But as others noted, if you play an "online game", or even the single player mode of a game that has online features, it's likely your download will be paused. With MP games I'm pretty sure ALL of them pause it as a standard practice (which makes sense considering downloading while you play will slow down your connection). With single player it seems to be more up to the game - some games have online connectivity even when you are playing single player (think Autolog in Need for Speed), so in those cases your other downloads get paused while you are playing the game even if technically only in a single player mode.

2Chalupas

If a patch is put out for X game, why would you want to play the game when changes are happening to it? The firmwire updates change the whole system of things, so obviously you could not play a game while your system is going thorough a change.

#11 Posted by 2Chalupas (5421 posts) -

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

gamenerd15

If a patch is put out for X game, why would you want to play the game when changes are happening to it? The firmwire updates change the whole system of things, so obviously you could not play a game while your system is going thorough a change.

Sometimes patches are like 1GB, and have nothing to do with the single player part of the game. I've often declined downloading the patch, because I'd rather carrying on playing the game. It would be nice if you were allowed to keep playing while the patch was downloading, or download a patch for one game, while you were playing another. Additionally it would be nice of there was a "resume download" feature for game data, as it stands now if your dl fails you have to start it entirely again.

Same concept with updating the firmware. There's really no reason to not be able to carry on with your business while the data is downloading in the background. It's not constantly "making changes to your system" while it's downloading. The data is all downloaded at 1st, and then it is installed as a separate step. There's no reason to not be able to play other games while firmware is just downloading data in the background. Obviously to install it you probably would need to stop what you are doing. Not such a big deal here because you can still download to your PC and install it from a USB stick , but from a convenience perspective they could do much better to allow background downloads and a resume download feature.

#12 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
Some games. When you play online, all games will pause your download but some games don't pause it, no matter the mode. Mortal Kombat is one of those games. Even playing offline tag ladder pauses downloads.