Can anyone tell me specifically what's wrong with my PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xanok1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 xanok1108
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Hello all. I recently got a used PS3 from a tag sale. Seems like I was lied to on it being in working condition. Anyways, It powers on, but nothing shows up on the screen. I talked to Sony support, and they weren't able to help me. We tried going into Safe Mode, etc, but couldn't even get there. Just a blank screen.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Possibly could be the video/audio cable. Have you tried plugging it into your TV with another cord? You could always get an HDMI cable and see if it works with that instead.

xanok1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xanok1108

I tried using composite cables, and I tried using HDMI. The HDMI cable I used was the one I use for my Blu Ray player, so I know that cable works.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

There are some steps to follow to use the HDMI, you better go to youtube. That's how i got it to work. Might just be that. You have to follow simple steps to make it work. Can't remember them atm though

xanok1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xanok1108

Thanks. I will take a look.

xanok1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xanok1108

The instructions I've found on youtube seem to be things I've already tried (holding down power button, etc) then going into settings. I can't even get anything on the display. Just a black screen.

iambateman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 iambateman

I'd say if sony support didn't sort it it's probably something internal, bring it to a console repair shop and get them to have a look at it, sorry for not being much help, I recently (today) had a similar problem but the youtube videos did help

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@xanok1108 said:

The instructions I've found on youtube seem to be things I've already tried (holding down power button, etc) then going into settings. I can't even get anything on the display. Just a black screen.

Try watching several, because i didn't find any helpful after a few tries. Somebody might do something different that might fix your problem

BreadNMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BreadNMilk
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

It sounds like you were not smart with whom you bought it from. Never buy anything used from anyone\company that isn't very reputable and will allow returns.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

"bought a used ps3 from a tag sale"

theres your first problem...

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Falcon084
Member since 2009 • 8778 Posts

Despite having no warranty you can still get Sony to repair it :) (for a fee ofc). I did mine by phone the last time but there is a website here https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

I hope this helps you!

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

A ps3 can be listed as working, but that doesn't mean it will be in working condition to play games. You were under the assumption that you were probably getting a steal of a deal. You weren't lied to, the ps3 works, it just isn't in working condition to display video so you can watch movies, browse the net, or play games. People say this stuff all the time.

The video probably went out on the ps3 due to heat, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have the fat model. I know more about those than anyone on the forums, I've been through 5 of them since dec 2007.

@Falcon084: It isn't worth getting it service. It's some where between $125 - $150. He/she could buy a super slim 12gb (yeah I know about the hdd size) new for $200. Just trying to make a point here.

xanok1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xanok1108
@breadnmilk said:

It sounds like you were not smart with whom you bought it from. Never buy anything used from anyone\company that isn't very reputable and will allow returns.

No kidding dude. I was looking for help with fixing a PS3, not for a life lesson. I took a chance, and I assure you, if the $75 I paid for it was going to break the bank, I wouldn't have bought it to begin with. Next time try to stay on topic, will ya?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I would never buy a used ps3

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If your are able to locate a PS3 repair place. Such a repair could end up costing $30.00 - $45.00. So you may not be looking at too much expense. I took the epic spouses PS3 60gigger in for repair. Jca tech which does console repairs. While not an official Sony repair shop. This did the trick and only costed $41.98 with taxes. This repair was done in a 2 day turnaround. The Epic spouse's Playstation 3 60Giger has now worked for 21 months post repair. This is a launch day PS3 Nov 2006. Which died and was repaired. still works fine.

So don't discount "independent" no name PS3 and other videogame console repair services. Some of them are good. So hopefully you have some where you live. Good luck on fix the PS3 phat. Which is still the best looking version. I have all 3 Phat, Slim and Superslim. So hopefully you can get your PS3 repaired.