Call of Duty graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

ive noticed that the graphics in mw2 seems to be better than black ops. i never understood this. i have black ops and used to have mw2. i think both games are great but i do like black ops better cuz it seems to be more straight up back to gun fighting action asopposed to all the killstreak and nootubing stuff in mw2. but i think my biggest dissapointment in black ops, other than the online lag and hit detection was the graphics. they are still pretty good, andit looks awesome and up to par, if not betterthan other COD games when in campaign mode,but mw2 just seems way more clean and crisp.

i dunno maybe its just me but it seems like they went back a step. black ops is the newer game but it seems uglier than mw2, and the online seems to have more lag and stuff too. i dont get it, dont they have the same technology as before? they had like 3 other COD games to learn from but still they seem to mess it up. i mean i love black ops and all, but i just dont get how the newer game can have crappier graphics. same with the online, i remember i would almost never have issues with lag or anything in mw2 and mw1, but in black ops i get a lot of that crap. not enough to make it unbearable and make me not want to playor anything, but definately noticeably more. i dunno what do u guys think?

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

All the graphics in COD games suck... MW2 was attractive on the surface, but when you walk close up to a wall/grass/foliage, they look shameful and aged.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Infinity Ward Treyarch Simple as that.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

All the graphics in COD games suck... MW2 was attractive on the surface, but when you walk close up to a wall/grass/foliage, they look shameful and aged.

destinhpark

To give credit, Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare looked fantastic when they came out, but I agree that close up the game has some major flaws.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
probably more factors but simply put IW = talented treyarch = hobos.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Infinity Ward Treyarch Simple as that.MAILER_DAEMON

exactly.

Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Honestly, about the only thing they can do to improve these games (assuming that they will be using the same formula until the series dies) is take care of the graphics. The low res textures are painful when there are shooters with so much more polish out there.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

Honestly, about the only thing they can do to improve these games (assuming that they will be using the same formula until the series dies) is take care of the graphics. The low res textures are painful when there are shooters with so much more polish out there.

Cyb0rg360
Like what exactly? I struggle to think of any multiplayer shooter on console that looks any better than the CoD games (including Black Ops which runs on a different engine to ostensibly allow for larger maps to still perform at 60 FPS), and in fact I'd go so far as to say that most look substantially worse. It you want uber high res textures so that you can, for whatever reason, press your virtual face against a brick wall and see every tiny detail, you need to invest in a high end gaming PC. For most gamers, however, the resolution of a texture from 1" away makes no real difference as long as they look ok at a distance. In terms of visuals AND performance, no shooter can touch CoD. If I have to suck up a little texture pop or muddy res on a wall here or there to get that buttery 60 FPS, so be it. Would you rather have super high res graphics and framerates in the 20s?
DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

Black Ops looks bad on PS3 because Treyarch doesn't know how to build PS3 games from the ground up. A port would of solved this issue.

Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cyb0rg360
[QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"]

sixgears2
Like what exactly? I struggle to think of any multiplayer shooter on console that looks any better than the CoD games (including Black Ops which runs on a different engine to ostensibly allow for larger maps to still perform at 60 FPS), and in fact I'd go so far as to say that most look substantially worse. It you want uber high res textures so that you can, for whatever reason, press your virtual face against a brick wall and see every tiny detail, you need to invest in a high end gaming PC. For most gamers, however, the resolution of a texture from 1" away makes no real difference as long as they look ok at a distance. In terms of visuals AND performance, no shooter can touch CoD. If I have to suck up a little texture pop or muddy res on a wall here or there to get that buttery 60 FPS, so be it. Would you rather have super high res graphics and framerates in the 20s?

I'm going to guess, by your post, that you honestly think Killzone 3 or even 2 looks just as muddy as CoD? Wow. . .
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

Black ops actually looks really good on the 360, I traded my 360 version for a ps3 version, see what that got me.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#13 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Black Ops's graphics were medicore at best. There are so many shooters out there right now with far superior graphics.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DevilishStyles

Black Ops's graphics were medicore at best. There are so many shooters out there right now with far superior graphics.

Demonjoe93
But none of them run over 30fps.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

destinhpark
This. Black ops looks like straight up poop....
-Rinder-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Rinder-
Member since 2008 • 1307 Posts
Call of Duty is not about graphics.. but yes, IW is the better of the two.
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

The single-player's graphics are pretty good but the multiplayer's are average at best.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sixgears2
[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"]

Cyb0rg360

I'm going to guess, by your post, that you honestly think Killzone 3 or even 2 looks just as muddy as CoD? Wow. . .

. Killzone 3 does look great, but: 1. We are on a 360 forum, not a PS3 forum, and besides I said I struggled to think of any not that none at all existed. I simply didn't consider KZ3 because it didn't face the same hardware constraints as a PS3 exclusive as CoD does as a multiplatform title. 2. I suspect you blew right past the "performance" part of my argument. As i said, in the total package performance is equally important as graphics. A few lower res textures for excellent performance is more than a fair trade. KZ3 almost never runs at over 30 FPS and I've seen it dive into the teens on numerous occasions when the room is full and a lot is going on. Next time read more carefully before you "wow" me. Everyone wants to jump on the CoD hate train these days whether or not it makes any sense. Sheesh.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Black Ops looks bad on PS3 because Treyarch doesn't know how to build PS3 games from the ground up. A port would of solved this issue.

DevilishStyles
Treyarch doesn't know how to build games.. nothing to do with the PS3. They are the same on every system. Treyarch don't know how to optimise games, that was proven with the PC version of World at War. As for Black Ops.. its fun, graphically its well below par and there are a lot of problems with it.. but if you just accept it for what it is, you can have some fun. Especially when you mute all the 8 year olds screaming down their headsets and ignore all the player profiles that are of naked people etc. Shame the community in general is so immature.
callan_walsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 callan_walsh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Killzone 3 does look great, but: 1. We are on a 360 forum, not a PS3 forum,sixgears2
Im pretty sure this is a PS3 forum
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"][QUOTE="sixgears2"] Like what exactly? I struggle to think of any multiplayer shooter on console that looks any better than the CoD games (including Black Ops which runs on a different engine to ostensibly allow for larger maps to still perform at 60 FPS), and in fact I'd go so far as to say that most look substantially worse. It you want uber high res textures so that you can, for whatever reason, press your virtual face against a brick wall and see every tiny detail, you need to invest in a high end gaming PC. For most gamers, however, the resolution of a texture from 1" away makes no real difference as long as they look ok at a distance. In terms of visuals AND performance, no shooter can touch CoD. If I have to suck up a little texture pop or muddy res on a wall here or there to get that buttery 60 FPS, so be it. Would you rather have super high res graphics and framerates in the 20s?sixgears2

. Killzone 3 does look great, but: 1. We are on a 360 forum, not a PS3 forum, and besides I said I struggled to think of any not that none at all existed. I simply didn't consider KZ3 because it didn't face the same hardware constraints as a PS3 exclusive as CoD does as a multiplatform title. 2. I suspect you blew right past the "performance" part of my argument. As i said, in the total package performance is equally important as graphics. A few lower res textures for excellent performance is more than a fair trade. KZ3 almost never runs at over 30 FPS and I've seen it dive into the teens on numerous occasions when the room is full and a lot is going on. Next time read more carefully before you "wow" me. Everyone wants to jump on the CoD hate train these days whether or not it makes any sense. Sheesh.

One, you are on a ps3 forum and two, KZ3 looks better than Black Ops or any COD game to date period. Even Crysis 2 looks better than Black Ops. You need to realize where you are before making such bold and false statements.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sixgears2
[QUOTE="sixgears2"] Killzone 3 does look great, but: 1. We are on a 360 forum, not a PS3 forum,callan_walsh
Im pretty sure this is a PS3 forum

Ah, and so it is. I should pay better attention. :) I'm still sticking by my argument, though.
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sixgears2

[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"] I'm going to guess, by your post, that you honestly think Killzone 3 or even 2 looks just as muddy as CoD? Wow. . .sirk1264

One, you are on a ps3 forum and two, KZ3 looks better than Black Ops or any COD game to date period. Even Crysis 2 looks better than Black Ops. You need to realize where you are before making such bold and false statements.

And they both run at half the frames per second or less. That's my point. I was wrong about which forum I was on (obviously got confused since I've been bouncing between the two all day) and for that I apologize, but everything else I said is still true. As a total package of graphics and performance, CoD can't be beat. There are some better looking games out there (Crysis 2's multiplayer is not better looking than a CoD game with the possible exception of the weapon modelling, and I'm not here to compare single player graphics), but they all sacrifice performance for visual quality.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

[QUOTE="sirk1264"]

[QUOTE="sixgears2"]. Killzone 3 does look great, but: 1. We are on a 360 forum, not a PS3 forum, and besides I said I struggled to think of any not that none at all existed. I simply didn't consider KZ3 because it didn't face the same hardware constraints as a PS3 exclusive as CoD does as a multiplatform title. 2. I suspect you blew right past the "performance" part of my argument. As i said, in the total package performance is equally important as graphics. A few lower res textures for excellent performance is more than a fair trade. KZ3 almost never runs at over 30 FPS and I've seen it dive into the teens on numerous occasions when the room is full and a lot is going on. Next time read more carefully before you "wow" me. Everyone wants to jump on the CoD hate train these days whether or not it makes any sense. Sheesh.sixgears2

And they both run at half the frames per second or less. That's my point. I was wrong about which forum I was on (obviously got confused since I've been bouncing between the two all day) and for that I apologize, but everything else I said is still true. As a total package of graphics and performance, CoD can't be beat. There are some better looking games out there (Crysis 2's multiplayer is not better looking than a CoD game with the possible exception of the weapon modelling, and I'm not here to compare single player graphics), but they all sacrifice performance for visual quality.

Just because it's not 60fps doesn't mean it performs badly. It performs just fine. I would take the destructible environments in BC2 or the SMART system in Brink over COD's frame rate.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

I think the main problem seems to be, if I have it right, it is easier to make the games for the X-Box and then simply port them over to the Playstation, and it causes not just notible differences in frame rate (with certain games) but also again, with some game, notible differences in quality of graphics. I do not think it is down to the console, nor do I think one console is better than the others.

callan_walsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 callan_walsh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I think the main problem seems to be, if I have it right, it is easier to make the games for the X-Box and then simply port them over to the Playstation, and it causes not just notible differences in frame rate (with certain games) but also again, with some game, notible differences in quality of graphics. I do not think it is down to the console, nor do I think one console is better than the others.

OmenUK
Yeah im sure thats what they did, just ported it over from the 360. I know a few developers who do that, like bethesda.
AudioPrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 AudioPrison
Member since 2008 • 1620 Posts

No Black Ops graphics aren't as good as MW2 but as long as I can see what im doing in it and its clear it's not really an issue.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Black Ops looks awful on the 360, much worse then how MW2 looked on both consoles. A much worse game all round.
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

Black Ops looks awful on the 360, much worse then how MW2 looked on both consoles. A much worse game all round.BigBoss255

You much have gotten punked versions of the games, because they looked great on my 360.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Modern Warfare 2 uses IW Engine 4.0 while Black Ops uses a modified IWE3, which is why MW2 looks and runs better. They also still run on the Quake 3 engine, thus they all still look like crap.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"] I'm going to guess, by your post, that you honestly think Killzone 3 or even 2 looks just as muddy as CoD? Wow. . .sirk1264

lol i agree here kz3 destroys cod, an dill add i dont see the point of 30fps being a negative at all, all this 30fps sux and 60fps is where its at is garbage, there are tons of great online shooters that run at 30fps...cod needs to die asap and stop infecting all other shooters...
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

[QUOTE="sixgears2"]

[QUOTE="sirk1264"] One, you are on a ps3 forum and two, KZ3 looks better than Black Ops or any COD game to date period. Even Crysis 2 looks better than Black Ops. You need to realize where you are before making such bold and false statements.

hanslacher54

Just because it's not 60fps doesn't mean it performs badly. It performs just fine. I would take the destructible environments in BC2 or the SMART system in Brink over COD's frame rate.

im guan agree here, and say ill take the particle effects of kz2/3 over the 60fps...and did this guy just say cod looks better than crysis2.....? sp or mp c2 > cod
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

All the COD games look the same.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DevilishStyles

All the COD games look the same.

redskins2156
Just like Killzone 3 looks like Killzone 2, and how Uncharted 2 looks like Uncharted 1. According to your logic.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
Infinity Ward make the best Call of Duty games. The Modern Warfare games have the best graphics of the franchise, Treyarch basically copy IW and that's why they're inferior. Black Ops was meh.
DarthRoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarthRoel
Member since 2010 • 1058 Posts
black ops looks awful, mw2 looks way better
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]probably more factors but simply put IW = talented treyarch = hobos.

That actually made me laugh out loud. :D
Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cyb0rg360
[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="Cyb0rg360"][QUOTE="sixgears2"] Like what exactly? I struggle to think of any multiplayer shooter on console that looks any better than the CoD games (including Black Ops which runs on a different engine to ostensibly allow for larger maps to still perform at 60 FPS), and in fact I'd go so far as to say that most look substantially worse. It you want uber high res textures so that you can, for whatever reason, press your virtual face against a brick wall and see every tiny detail, you need to invest in a high end gaming PC. For most gamers, however, the resolution of a texture from 1" away makes no real difference as long as they look ok at a distance. In terms of visuals AND performance, no shooter can touch CoD. If I have to suck up a little texture pop or muddy res on a wall here or there to get that buttery 60 FPS, so be it. Would you rather have super high res graphics and framerates in the 20s?

I'm not sure how CoD performance is even an issue. The OP was about CoD graphics, read the title. That being said, my initial comment was that the only thing I could see that they could do to improve the series, outside of overhauling the old killstreak system, was to improve the graphics. Honestly, my comment wasn't bashing the series at all, only pointing out that the graphics desperately need an upgrade to compete with other games coming out. If it runs at 60fps and you like the killstreaks and game play I don't see how you could not agree with my initial comment . . . .
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

yeah thats what i was getting at. COD is an awesome game and all, but i think they could do better in terms of graphics. well atleast match MW2. the newer game shouldnt have crappier graphics, even if it is from a different company or whatever. it still looks good though, i like black ops better than mw2 cuz of the gameplay.