Buying games digitally from now on...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 newown
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts
hello, I just thought.. If I buy ps3 games from the store, is it better so that one day the games might be playable on the ps4..? No...? Hmmm I think I would still have many games to catch up with and I will never play them all by the time ps4 comes out... Do I need to keep playing ps3 games on ps3 while ps4 is out and can stream ps1,2,3... i just misunderstood what and how is streaming thing works.. And is it possible to play ps3 games somehow? Thanks,
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

Don't buy console games digitally. You will have no opportunity to resell them. I recovered $700 recently just from selling old PS2, PS3, and DS games on Ebay.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

We don't know how Gakai is going to work yet, I wouldn't buy games digitally on that assumption. For now, just base your decision on the pros and cons of both as usual.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
As a primary method of buying, I wouldn't support digital. You're stripping away consumer rights and relinquishing control over to the developers. Hard copy PS3 games will not be supported (i.e. backwards compatible) on PS4. This fact has already been established. Nobody here yet knows the details of how the streaming Gaikai service is going to work either when it comes to older PS games. So for now I would say wait until more info is released before making your ultimate decision.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I like digital games on handhelds and games I know I will always play never tire of. Oh and sales in online store. A game like bf4 I'd buy digital cause I know it'll be my goto online game till well bf5 lol I still play BC2 and BF3.
arsenalherd666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 arsenalherd666
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
digital is a con when you have re-sale value in hard copys, i always trade in last game for my next one, more affordable way of my hobby
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AutoPilotOn
I almost never trade in unless I didn't like the game. I still have piles of Atari and Nes carts in a plastic tub lol
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I never buy anything digital.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Just buy whatever is cheaper. No one knows how the streaming thing works.
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

[QUOTE="pawq4"]

Don't buy console games digitally. You will have no opportunity to resell them. I recovered $700 recently just from selling old PS2, PS3, and DS games on Ebay.

DeViLzzz

I am totally with you on this one and I also like buying games in store on the cheap and using them in trade 1 and trade 2 promos for gift cards at FS and I have made some coin too at EB Games on one promo and ended up with multiple credit cards to spend on whatever I wanted.

Used games in store/cheap new games in store lead to so many good things for me so please OP don't contribute to killing trading games when it comes to consoles. 

Going all digital can also lead to lower prices out of the gate. Do I think all digital consoles are the way to go? Not right now but I feel it's headed that way. It's happening with all other media. Thing is if I buy a used game for say $30 my trade in or retail value on that game will be so small by the time I am done with it that I might as well just keep it. I know others need that extra trade value but in my eyes the used business the way it is now is just a huge ripoff. Not as a buyer so much but as the one trading in. It's set up to make the store at least double on their investment. I would rather I bought a cheap game from the publishers which puts more money into their pockets to make more titles. Until this model is a benefit though I see consoles having a hard time trying to do both.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AutoPilotOn
I just found out my ISP has 150gb cap. I just assumed it here wasn't one but after going over 100gb I get charged 10 dollars per 50. That sucks I got rid of cable tv to save money and now I stream and download and it's about the same cost. With cable tv I get 250gb without its 150. They sure r tricky.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I'll never buy digital. They shut the servers off and my game won't work or I won't ever be able to redownload it. And when I'm don't I can't get anything for it to put towards another game.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
I'll never buy digital. They shut the servers off and my game won't work or I won't ever be able to redownload it. And when I'm don't I can't get anything for it to put towards another game.Rattlesnake_8
Your physical disk could explode in the drive due to disk fatigue, as well.... And that'll likely happen long before Sony/Microsoft/Steam ever go bankrupt.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I rarely resell, and look forward to downloading all my games this gen. As a PC gamer, having to use a disc these days feels limiting and archaic. Sure, I won't be able to resell them, but a game like Killzone Shadowfall will never be something I would sell.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'd be very surprised if third party publishers allowed their digitally downloaded PS3 games to be played on the PS4.  That's like giving you a second copy for a different platform for free.  They'll want you to purchase a second copy via Gaikai streaming in order to play it on there. 

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

I rarely resell, and look forward to downloading all my games this gen. As a PC gamer, having to use a disc these days feels limiting and archaic. Sure, I won't be able to resell them, but a game like Killzone Shadowfall will never be something I would sell.donalbane

This. That and I'm having the hell of a time finding room for all my games. I keep virtually all my games. And I've been gaming for a very long time. I have shelves, travel bags, boxes, etc filled with them all over the place. Digital is starting to seem like the way to go for me.