Blu-Ray Drive Not Reading Disks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kazrium (1624 posts) -

My Blu-Ray Drive is no longer reading disks, games or movies. I called Sony tech support, they walked me through a couple of fixes that unfortunately didn't fix the issue. Since it is under warranty, I atleast do not have to pay to get it fixed. Here is my problem though, this PS3 was only 3 months old. It was basically used as a movie player, and not much as that. I am wondering if this is just an isolated hw issue with my PS3, or if others are experiencing similar issues?

I spent a good part of the day at the official PS3 forums, and there are number of posts regarding this problem. Though there doesn't appear to be many people reporting about it here. Are there any other PS3 owners that have had similar problems with the blu-ray drive?

#2 Posted by finalalchemist (1528 posts) -
sorry i dont know whats going on, but that sucks =/
#3 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -
My friend had this happen to him. He called me to see if I could help, but I didn't know what to tell him. I guess I'll tell him to send it in. He's not much of a gamer(he mainly plays sports games) in the sense that he has no idea about the technical aspects of game consoles, or how to fix them. Sorry to hear that though.
#4 Posted by kazrium (1624 posts) -

My friend had this happen to him. He called me to see if I could help, but I didn't know what to tell him. I guess I'll tell him to send it in. He's not much of a gamer(he mainly plays sports games) in the sense that he has no idea about the technical aspects of game consoles, or how to fix them. Sorry to hear that though. cmpepper23

Yeah, I would tell him to call Sony tech support. As long as it is still under warranty (within one year of the purchase date), they will fix it for free. If you friend wanted to try and fix it himself, tech support basically walked me through resetting all my console settings. There is a reset option under the system settings that will do this. It didn't work for me, but I guess it does fix the issue in some cases.

#5 Posted by Clauricaune (104 posts) -

That's been reported often. There's no way to fix it by yourself, so you have to make your warranty effective, and get another PS3. You could actually send it in for repair, but I suggest getting a new console.

It sucks, and seems the PS3's failure rate is indeed higher than the alleged 0.2%, but fortunately Sony is very accesible when trying to fix this thing. You shouldn't have that many problems.

#6 Posted by cmpepper23 (3256 posts) -

[QUOTE="cmpepper23"]My friend had this happen to him. He called me to see if I could help, but I didn't know what to tell him. I guess I'll tell him to send it in. He's not much of a gamer(he mainly plays sports games) in the sense that he has no idea about the technical aspects of game consoles, or how to fix them. Sorry to hear that though. kazrium

Yeah, I would tell him to call Sony tech support. As long as it is still under warranty (within one year of the purchase date), they will fix it for free. If you friend wanted to try and fix it himself, tech support basically walked me through resetting all my console settings. There is a reset option under the system settings that will do this. It didn't work for me, but I guess it does fix the issue in some cases.

Thanks because he has no clue, and luckily mine still works.

#7 Posted by alexbhp (322 posts) -

I had this happen to me, I own 2 PS3, 1 in the US, 1 in Brazil, since I travel to Brazil a lot.

And the Brazilian one failed on me, after playing COD4 (Btw type COD Killed my PS3 on google, and check all the forums about that).

I brought it back to the US, send it to sony, they returned a new one no problem. (Note it was a Launch PS3 Nov/2006).

#8 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -

You have my condolences.

#9 Posted by dholmes19 (1805 posts) -
yeah it happend to me too, but i sent it to sony and they sent me a new one in 8 days.
#10 Posted by KuroiSLI (109 posts) -
It just happened to me about 2 hours ago. I'm still in a state of shock...
I can't find the reciept but I purchased it at Gamestop using a debit card. I was hoping they can pull that sale off their system and reprint a reciept for me *crosses fingers*
Avatar image for littlestreakier
#11 Posted by littlestreakier (2950 posts) -
this happened to a friend of mine, sony sent him a new one. just call and say something happened and you need a replacement. sorry to hear your PS3 died though, that really sucks
#12 Posted by crow33100 (29 posts) -
damn!! it happens to me now 5 hours ago.. im playing Viking Battle for asgard when my game froze.. i restart my PS3 and then now, cant read any Blu-ray games or movies.. mine is 3 months old by the way..
#13 Posted by Xepheon (401 posts) -

I got my 40gb PS3 on January 16th of this year (08). Today, I was playing Folklore, went into another area, and the game never stopped loading. I restarted my PS3 and it wouldn't recognize any of my games or music cds. What a huge disappointment! I got GTA:4 on the release date and now I have to wait what sounds like two or more weeks to get my PS3 sent in and repaired or replaced.

These failing PS3s have the same expiration date... about 4 months after purchase. Sony should give us a free game or one of the new controllers. I'm really disappointed-- never had a system break on me before.

#14 Posted by stele29 (551 posts) -
Part of the growing pains of developing new technology is dealing with unforseen problems. In january Sony had announced that it had developed a new blu-ray laser to replace the one they were forced to use to get the PS3 on the shelves. With more blu-ray laser failures popping up, it seems that this could potentially be Sonys RROD. I just hope Sony doesn't brush off the early adopters. They should make a 2 year warranty just a like Microsoft. It would prove they stand by their product, because if they really believed the PS3 was so reliable it would be worth a few more dollars to make some gamers happy.
#15 Posted by Egyptman786 (1152 posts) -

exact same thign happened to me, but my drive got messed up after GTA 4 Freezing

and your not the only one

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2833681&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

that dude is too

#16 Posted by AlienOverlord (790 posts) -
I had been playing NBA 2K7 the day before and then turned on the system the next day by ejecting the game and putting in my new copy of GTA IV but it never read it and no longer could read anything. I had used the drive often over the last year, maybe 4 hours a day and I was able to get it cheaply repaired so I'm not too upset. Though I'm worried about it failing again. I just want it to last until a slim version comes out and then I will buy a new one (maybe not a launch slim to be safe).
#17 Posted by pilotsim (25 posts) -
How did you get your drive repaired cheaply? did you send it off to a site or did you know someone?
#18 Posted by Gaia_Deus (25 posts) -
now heres a question for you, say you have a PS3 that is still BC and it stops reading? do they fix it or just send u a new one... i would be highly, highly peeved to lose the BC on my 80G PS3....i have a 2 yr warranty thru best buy, i haven't had this problem but it is def on my mind what either best buy or sony would do.
#19 Posted by bryankei (222 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgb6sYr6Pc

My 20 GB launch console did this too. Not sure if it is dust or a bad Blu-ray. I found a fix on YOUTUBE after I had aleady sent it in.

#20 Posted by sparklzk27 (25 posts) -
My boyfriend's PS3 just did this tonight. Will read regular CD's and DVD's but no blu ray movies or games. We called SONY but we can't find the receipt and we bought it 6 months ago so SONY wants us to pay $150 just for them to look at it :evil: anyone have any luck fixing this themselves?
#21 Posted by gracdp (25 posts) -
Just happened to myself. It won't play any games, movies, or data from the blueray drive. No problems with anything else (eg plays games on hard drive like Wipeout and things from USB). I'm not sure if it's related but I installed the new software update 2.5 about a week ago and installed/played Call of Duty 3 (not 4) on it for the first time (think that was the last thing to play on it). Only 3 months old max, part of the Sony 25,000 PS3s with there LCD TV promotion. Hope taking it back to Sony won't be an issue.
#22 Posted by gracdp (25 posts) -
Scrap the previous post. Turn out drive issues was due to 20 cent coin being deposited in it by a two and half year old. Nice built in rattling effect but pretty lame for anything requiring the player. After looking at dismantling the PS3 (highly undesireable with warranty) to remove said currency we got highly lucky and the 20 coin fell out (after shaking). Now working fine again.
#23 Posted by Haze-and-Ses (224 posts) -
[QUOTE="Xepheon"]

I got my 40gb PS3 on January 16th of this year (08). Today, I was playing Folklore, went into another area, and the game never stopped loading. I restarted my PS3 and it wouldn't recognize any of my games or music cds. What a huge disappointment! I got GTA:4 on the release date and now I have to wait what sounds like two or more weeks to get my PS3 sent in and repaired or replaced.

These failing PS3s have the same expiration date... about 4 months after purchase. Sony should give us a free game or one of the new controllers. I'm really disappointed-- never had a system break on me before.

Same thing happened to me, except my killzone 2 wouldn't stop loading so i exited the game, started it back up and i got an error code about starting error, ever since it wouldn't read anything :( . I got killzone 2 release day and the blu ray drive dies the following morning . Warranty been expired for a month so im going to replace the laser myself
#24 Posted by cool_modine (51 posts) -

Yep, mine is having huge difficulties reading blu ray discs. DVD's still work fine. I'd imagine the drive is simply dying. Pop in a BD, it tries to read it, makes a grunting sound and nothing.

Used to be I could use a DVD to get it running, then load up my BD games, when that stopped working I started turning the console upside down. Now that these temporary solutions are failing I think I have no choice but to replace the drive myself. Why not send it in? Because it's an original 60GB. I'm not giving Sony 150 bucks to give me back a refurbished current model. No thx.

#25 Posted by ace_of-spades (28 posts) -

Happened to me too just a couple of days ago. My games would freeze about 15 minutes in, and when i restarted and try to load, i get the dreaded "error in loading procedure (80010514)" aka code of death. I called sony twice, and they suggest i send it in. This just sucks because i'm about 6 months over my warrentee. They should really give you a longer warrentee. Well, i guess 150 for a fixed system is better than 400 for a new one, seein how i'm probably gonna stop playinn it in like three years. Maybe geek squad at best buy can fix it for me. Does anyone know if they do this?

#26 Posted by fazedjb (542 posts) -

this excact thing happened to me halfway thru gta4 a yr ago.

i was lucky and warranty was good. also, as i live in the UK and the product was only around 6 months old i took it straight back to the retailer as they have a right to replace electrical goods sold that don't live up to a certain life expectancy. instant swap, back home, more gta 4.

I almost cried when it died..

#27 Posted by beltor5 (25 posts) -

i called sony costmer service and it got sent to the shop

#28 Posted by katinatrm (25 posts) -
So does anyone know if the drive is the problem or is it the laser. Is there an easy fix for it - I cannot afford the $150 to send it back to be repaired and the warrenty is past. I was willing to start looking for a drive I'm just afraid to spend the money and find out it's something else and have to spend more :S Anyone have any ideas?
#29 Posted by helysandoval (247 posts) -

man this happened to me yesterday tried everything in the manual, the error code is 805104 our blu ray unit just gone, call sony and they don't even repair it they just send u a new one, if this works in venezuela of course it will work for you.. mine was used for just 5 months... man sony what happened?? you used to be da king

#30 Posted by helysandoval (247 posts) -

So does anyone know if the drive is the problem or is it the laser. Is there an easy fix for it - I cannot afford the $150 to send it back to be repaired and the warrenty is past. I was willing to start looking for a drive I'm just afraid to spend the money and find out it's something else and have to spend more :S Anyone have any ideas?katinatrm
they dont replace the laser or the lens because the blu ray unit is a whole and sealed.. :s

#31 Posted by tviste (25 posts) -
Before you send it in, you should check if maybe the disc drive is misaligned. It's worth a shot and you can fix this yourself. You can find instructions on wikiHow or at my site http://www.squidoo.com/repair-ps3. But here are the steps: 1.Drive teeth can get terribly misaligned because of worn gear teeth, you may find it easier to reassemble the drive in the loaded position. 2.With your Blu-ray drive open, remove the platform that holds the rollers. The only one screw is circled in red. Be careful about touching the plastic bumpers circled in blue. Short instructions under "Tips", in case you do. 3.Twist the white gear denoted with yellow clockwise until the the gear separates from the black platform on the left hand side of the drive. Practically every gear in this area moves every other gear, but the white one seems the easiest to twist. Keep twisting until the two catches circled in green are completely lowered. 4.Realign the black platform and twist the white gear counterclockwise until the two catches are fully raised. These catches keep you from inserting a second disc. You should not have to twist the white gear fully counterclockwise and it is a good idea not to. Make sure the left black platform is not tight against anything - especially the stuff towards the bottom edge. 5.Pull the rollers outwards as the pink arrows indicate and screw the roller platform back onto the drive. When this is done, your rollers should be slightly loose. Work with the rollers and the white gear until they were just tight enough to loosely hold a CD as though the drive were reading it. 6.Insert a junk CD along the top half of the drive as though the drive were accepting it. Pay attention to how the junk CD locks into place as though you still cared about it. 7.While holding the CD in its loaded position, pop the top half of the Blu-ray drive onto the bottom half. You can shake it lightly, but if it doesn't come together smoothly, something might be misaligned. Go back and tweak until it comes together with relative ease. Don't forget the white magnet. 8.Screw everything (that you feel like) back together, boot up your PS3, and eject your CD. It should come out smoothly and be re-accepted smoothly. 9.If your PS3 still won't read discs the problem might stem from somwhere else. You may want to check out this manual for more in depth troubleshooting.
#32 Posted by smsnsimba (139 posts) -

I had a launch60GB fat and this happened to me a few months ago. It turned out to be the laser. I found one for around $45 bucks online, installed it, and voila! My 60GB was back! It's a really easy install, just a little tedious taking everything apart to getinside the blu-ray drive. I wanted to keep all my saves, data, etc so I didn't want to send the thing off. Anyway. . .

My PS3 symptoms were as follows prior to being fixed:

-DVDs and CDs worked fine, every time(indicating it's most likely not a gear loading problem, though it still can be)

-I would insert a Blu-ray disc and it would not be present in the XMB.

-popping in a blu-ray disc in and out would sometimes allowthe XMB to readit, but I could only play the game for about a minute before freezing

-After rebooting the PS3 the XMB would indicate no disc presentin the XMB even though there clearly was.

The laser replacement you have to buy is different depending on your model PS3. Make sure you're buying the right one! GL