Biggest technical improvement PS4 has over PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

What is the biggest improvement that the PS4 has over the PS3? Graphically, I don't see that big of a leap or difference as opposed to the leap from PS2 to PS3. So, what's the big improvement this time? (Serious question).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Look to PS4 games that are NOT on last gen machines (Destiny, COD, GTA5, etc are terrible examples of PS4 improvements). You won't find much of a huge gain in games designed to run on old hardware.

Look at first gen software that is only on the PS4, like "The Order" for instance. It's not a fantastic gamey game, but graphically you should see a huge difference.

When Batman AK comes out, compare it to Batman AA.

Remember too, 1st gen software is only the beginning.

Also, the type of HDTV you are using can hinder your comparisons.

WeazelMan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 1

#3 WeazelMan311
Member since 2004 • 9620 Posts

I agree that the graphical leap this time around is not as impressive, but there is noticeable improvement. Infamous: SS, Driveclub, and Killzone: SF all look better than the average PS3 game. The above poster is right, though. Games made for both current and last gen and lazy HD remasters are not really pushing the PS4 hardware at all and shouldn't be used for comparison. MGSV should look pretty impressive when it comes out.

Specifically though, the lighting is better and there is more detail in the character models and environments. Also, the resolution is higher than most, if not all PS3 games. Frame rate still isn't much better, unless it's a remaster. I'm not a graphics expert so i can't go into much more detail than that. On a side note, I like that the PS store can actually function smoothly in the PS4 compared to the PS3. Oh, and trophies load in a few seconds rather than a few minutes.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I swear I see no difference between PS3 vs PS4 when it comes to how the game looks. In other aspects like the features running smoother and faster yes there is a huge difference, for example, you can play the game while updates download in the background.

peroneus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peroneus
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Look at Shadow of Mordor. It was awful on the ps3. I also don't think they could do Dying Light on the ps3 either. Don't get me wrong, I love my ps3. These are just my opinions.