Battlefield 4 destruction is over-hyped.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

So DICE added this new 'feature' called Levolution, and they've advertised it every single chance they get. But honestly, Levolution is crap. Let's take the Siege of Shanghai level. You know how they kept telling us you can level skyscrapers? Turns out there is only one skyscraper which can be leveled and that too is a scripted animation event, there are no physics on the crumbling parts and NONE of the other skyscrapers in the whole map can be damaged. Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the only game which had truly destructible battlefields, you could collapse every building, every bridge and every tree. In fact, over 90% of the battlefield could be scarred and altered. BF3 dumbed this down and you can see NO real destruction except chunks of wall flying off buildings which couldn't even collapse. You'd expect at least a bit more destruction in the Aftermath expansion, but all of it is already destroyed and the screen only shakes occasionally to provide a disaster effect. BF4 is an even bigger disappointment. You should be able to bring down the whole Hainan Resort, not just the two sides (which has the slightest bit of effect possible. The HUGE dam in another map I can't remember sorry, breaks down to only slightly damage the area 100m in front of it, and only a tiny part of breaks down. One map's Levolution is simple the road cracking up and a bridge falling over, which I couldn't even manually bring down.

I could go on and on, and the only meaningful Levolution is the other dam which floods the whole level so you have to use the rooftops and boardwalks to get across the map. I'm really hoping that the pre-release-announced expansion maps at least allow us to destroy more stuff and the Levolutions somehow have a nice major effect on the map gameplay.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

It is over hyped. They just marketed it in a way to get all the anti COD kids on the bandwagon. The events are scripted but large so it gets more of an awe factor (which is hypocritical of some people because they make fun of COD's scripted events). When you actually watch the stuff happen during a game, its pretty boring. Whoever makes those BF4 trailers knows how to do their job.

It is a fun game, and I don't play COD, but the concept of "levolution" was not well thought out. That's probably due to the game being held back by current gen.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I rememeber playing bf2 and it had a lot of destructible buildings. In bf3 it was toned down a lot. Im disappointed to hear this about bf4 ill still have fun with it.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

Thanks for theinfo now I am leaning towards black flag instead of a first person shooter. Cod always look good until u play the short campaign.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@LordTrexGuy said:

So DICE added this new 'feature' called Levolution, and they've advertised it every single chance they get. But honestly, Levolution is crap. Let's take the Siege of Shanghai level. You know how they kept telling us you can level skyscrapers? Turns out there is only one skyscraper which can be leveled and that too is a scripted animation event, there are no physics on the crumbling parts and NONE of the other skyscrapers in the whole map can be damaged. Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the only game which had truly destructible battlefields, you could collapse every building, every bridge and every tree. In fact, over 90% of the battlefield could be scarred and altered. BF3 dumbed this down and you can see NO real destruction except chunks of wall flying off buildings which couldn't even collapse. You'd expect at least a bit more destruction in the Aftermath expansion, but all of it is already destroyed and the screen only shakes occasionally to provide a disaster effect. BF4 is an even bigger disappointment. You should be able to bring down the whole Hainan Resort, not just the two sides (which has the slightest bit of effect possible. The HUGE dam in another map I can't remember sorry, breaks down to only slightly damage the area 100m in front of it, and only a tiny part of breaks down. One map's Levolution is simple the road cracking up and a bridge falling over, which I couldn't even manually bring down.

I could go on and on, and the only meaningful Levolution is the other dam which floods the whole level so you have to use the rooftops and boardwalks to get across the map. I'm really hoping that the pre-release-announced expansion maps at least allow us to destroy more stuff and the Levolutions somehow have a nice major effect on the map gameplay.

excuse me but what? most of the levels that dont take place INSIDE a building allow entire buildings to be completely demo'ed. i have seen it happen many times....

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#6 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Well, I watched a live stream of Battlefield 4 on a European gaming channel, and the only thing that attracted my attention was falling trees. = )

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

@Geminon said:

@LordTrexGuy said:

excuse me but what? most of the levels that dont take place INSIDE a building allow entire buildings to be completely demo'ed. i have seen it happen many times....

Please name at least one level where you can bring down a building more than 5 storeys tall and with physics applied on it. I guess only two maps are with skyscrapers, and only one the massive one in the center of Siege of Shaghai can be destroyed.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Red Faction had way better destruction, like 12 years ago....

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@LordTrexGuy said:

@Geminon said:

@LordTrexGuy said:

Please name at least one level where you can bring down a building more than 5 storeys tall and with physics applied on it. I guess only two maps are with skyscrapers, and only one the massive one in the center of Siege of Shaghai can be destroyed.

paracel storm.... there are multiple 5 story buildings you can bring down....

samus_my_life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#10 samus_my_life
Member since 2010 • 327 Posts

BF4 is Magnificent but i was hyped for BFBC3 :)

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Aside from the Skyscrapers in Siege of Shanghai most buildings are destructible. I've been in plenty of buildings that have been collapsed due to a tank or rocket shooting it down.