Bad ps4 frame rates while playing online!!!

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CheddaSteve11
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I recently got a new ps4 after selling my old one to my friend who wanted it for parts. I had always noticed that whenever I played any games online, I would always get bad frame rates drops at certain times. I asked all of my friends with ps4s and none of them seemed to have this problem. I hoped that getting the new ps4 would fix this problem but it has not changed at all. Knowing that it is happening on a brand new ps4 do you think that it is internet speed that is giving me these bad frame rates? I only have 5 Mbps down and 1 mbps up. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

Bad connection would give you lag, and not bad frame rate.

Now, 5 mbps is not too bad, but you are prone to lag in multiplayer games, so I would say you are probably having connection issues.

Do you notice that in all your games when online, or some specific game?

If you're using wi-fi, try connecting you playstation with an ethernet cord.

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CheddaSteve11

@dhmatt90: the only games I have right now are gta v, battlefield4 and war frame. They all work fine with solid frame rates while I am playing single player but while playing online multiplayer the frame rates are always very inconsistent, mainly in battlefield 4

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CheddaSteve11

@dhmatt90: and like I said before, it is a brand new ps4 so I doubt it's the ps4 itself

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

@cheddasteve11: Yea dude, most definitely the connection. Like I said, try the Ethernet cord, or maybe you should change your internet provider...

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CheddaSteve11

@dhmatt90: Ok thanks for the advice! But jut to be clear would this fix frame rate issues or just lag?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's the connection as said above

Test your connection, mainly your ping.

Test it on a PC, then go into the browser of the PS4 and find a speed test there that runs, don't trust the one that the system itself does. Tends to be off.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@cheddasteve11: lag =/= framerates

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CheddaSteve11

@The_Last_Ride: What?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@cheddasteve11: I get bad frames in GTAV online too, I think you're fine.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

@cheddasteve11 said:

@The_Last_Ride: What?

Just because you get lag online, doesn't mean it's bad framerate

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CheddaSteve11

@The_Last_Ride: Thats the thing though. I don't get too much lag but my framerate is all over the place. It is rarely at bf4's promised 60fps unless i am playing a smaller game type like obliteration or tdm. And in gta v it usually gets the worst during heists while there are a lot of cops shooting at me.

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CheddaSteve11

@dhmatt90: so i tried connecting the ps4 with an ethernet cable and it seemed to help but not that much. Is there anything else that you would suggest doing? I know i shouldn't really be stressing over things like this but it just bothers me that this doesn't happen to anybody else i bring this up to.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@cheddasteve11 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Thats the thing though. I don't get too much lag but my framerate is all over the place. It is rarely at bf4's promised 60fps unless i am playing a smaller game type like obliteration or tdm. And in gta v it usually gets the worst during heists while there are a lot of cops shooting at me.

You do realise that the "promised 60FPS" is only for singleplayer and that the console cannot push the frames required when there is a lot going on, the 2 situations you describe are expected with the console struggling.

Your friends dont see the problem because your eyes are better, its not to do with your internet, the GPU in PS4 is just struggling.

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CheddaSteve11

@GTR12: But when I watch gameplay videos of battlefield 4 online on ps4 I see no dips in frame rate at what looks to be a frame rate of 50-60 fps. What is the difference between the ps4s being used in the videos and my ps4? Like I said, it's a brand new ps4 so it should be working like a dream.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Have you researched the frame rate benchmarks for these titles in multiplayer to see if your experience is unexpected? Lag couldcould maybe masquerade as "frame rate" if the visual cues you are picking up on are really other moving things not being drawn up to date on your screen, but if the reported frames are bad online on these titles then that's probably all there is to it unfortunately

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12

@cheddasteve11 said:

@GTR12: But when I watch gameplay videos of battlefield 4 online on ps4 I see no dips in frame rate at what looks to be a frame rate of 50-60 fps. What is the difference between the ps4s being used in the videos and my ps4? Like I said, it's a brand new ps4 so it should be working like a dream.

What you watch and what you play/watch are 2 different things. Maybe you cant distinguish 30/60FPS when your only watching, but when your playing and watching, your seeing the difference because your actually experiencing them and your brain has more sources of input to process, its hard to explain, ask an optomotrist, they will know exactly.

To make it easier, play the BF4 singleplayer campaign, thats 60FPS, multiplayer is only 30FPS or so.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'm going to say that it isn't bad frame rate and your mistaking it for lag, 5mb isn't great really, for that sort of speed you need to be wired up and not wifi, wifi can be hit and miss at the best of times and with such a low speed, it's always best to wire it up so you get the full speed, also if anyone else is using it as well can effect your speeds as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@cheddasteve11 said:

i've never experienced this

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

There is nothing wrong with your PS4, Battlefield 4 does have some pretty severe frame-rate drops when playing online. In the future games will be better optimised to suit the PS4 hardware

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CheddaSteve11

@GTR12: @Chris_53: so i went to my friends house and played battlefield 4 there and everything was very smooth with little dips in frame rate. He does, however, have much better internet speed than i do and a wired connection. Based on this, do you think it is my internet speed and connection that is giving me these bad frame rates?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

@cheddasteve11:

Does your friend also have a much better TV?

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CheddaSteve11

@GTR12: I'm not sure. We both have sony tv's but I don't know if the model is different or not.

Loui2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Loui2

People here claim lag and fps drops have no correlation yet I'm playing League of Legends on a more than capable laptop which maintains 200+ FPS UNTIL packet loss happens in which the FPS drops to literally 0. I must admit though, It's not something common but I have noticed that FPS drops can correlate with lag depending on the type of game and connection (P2P, chosen host, server, etc...)

P.S. People do get lag and FPS drops mixed up. FPS = frames per second; if you're playing a game and it looks smooth (like COD which is usually 60 FPS) and all of a sudden for some reason the game starts looking like a picture slide show (unresponsive and all) then you're experiencing FPS drops. If you're moving your character and all of a sudden your back to where you were, if you're shooting an enemy and his health isn't going down exactly when you shoot him, if you're alive and well then all of a sudden dead without any reasonable cause being witnessed then you're probably experience lag which is basically the loss of data (you shoot a person > console sends the data of you shooting the person to the host> host does not receive that data because your connection sucks or is messed up > person is still alive like if you never shot him because the data of you shooting him never got received).

I mentioned many examples of lag because lag can cause all sorts of problem but FPS drops is usually related to hardware.

P.S.S. None of you considered that maybe heat may be an issue? Here in NYC when it got really hot I noticed FPS drops in Killzone and other resource intensive games, the PS4 downclocks and tries to maintain temperature. Keeping the PS4 in an enclosed space may create this issue too.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GTR12

@cheddasteve11 said:

@GTR12: I'm not sure. We both have sony tv's but I don't know if the model is different or not.

Well that could also be a oroblem

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CheddaSteve11

@loui2: I often experiencing lag, but i know for a fact that i am not mistaking it for fps drops. While i dont always have lag, I always seem to have inconsistent frame rate, and like i said, i went to my friends house and he did not seem to have any of these problems. Keep in mind, my ps4 is brand new and should not be having any hardware problems at all.

CheddaSteve11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CheddaSteve11

@GTR12: could it be due to my slow internet speed/connection? I'm 99% sure that is what it is.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTR12

@cheddasteve11 said:

@GTR12: could it be due to my slow internet speed/connection? I'm 99% sure that is what it is.

You can try 1 of 2 things, take your PS4 to your friends house and try it or have your friend bring his PS4 to your house, it'll tell you what the problem is.