Backwards Compatibility on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kElliEnEwman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kElliEnEwman
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

To anyone who knows: Is it a hardware only feature that allows PS2 games played on PS3 or could we eventually download a patch?

Just asking because I either need to repair or buy a PS3 very soon here.

HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 HarshGamer
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts
No and no. Only the purchase of a 60 or 80GB (the first 80GB) can give you BC.
JOrdanFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 JOrdanFX
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

I thought they were releasing a patch to allow bc on all systems

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

I think there needs to be a thread that teaches people how to search on a forum.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

They arent going to do it. They say there isnt enough demand.

http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation-3/koller-no-ps3-slim-backwards
-compatibility-upgradeable-hdd/

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

What Furi said. I bet over 60% of all existing threads are repeated topics.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts
No and no. Only the purchase of a 60 or 80GB (the first 80GB) can give you BC.HarshGamer
This is not true, they already stated awhile back that it is possible to use the cell to imitate the emotion due to a software patch. It's just a matter if it's worth it at the time.
ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ItsBriskBaby

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"][QUOTE="HarshGamer"]No and no. Only the purchase of a 60 or 80GB (the first 80GB) can give you BC.HarshGamer
This is not true, they already stated awhile back that it is possible to use the cell to imitate the emotion due to a software patch. It's just a matter if it's worth it at the time.

It is true because the TC asked if it IS possible, not if it WILL be possible. And even if it will be possible in the future, it is not yet sure if Sony would add BC to the PS3. Ignorant........

Why the name calling? Why don't you read the topic again! He said is it a hardware feature or will it be a patch. You'll get your warning thank you.

HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HarshGamer
[QUOTE="HarshGamer"][QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"] This is not true, they already stated awhile back that it is possible to use the cell to imitate the emotion due to a software patch. It's just a matter if it's worth it at the time.ItsBriskBaby
It is true because the TC asked if it IS possible, not if it WILL be possible. And even if it will be possible in the future, it is not yet sure if Sony would add BC to the PS3. Ignorant........

Why the name calling? Why don't you read the topic again! He said is it a hardware feature or will it be a patch. School man School!

Okay, then give me some links......
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="HarshGamer"]No and no. Only the purchase of a 60 or 80GB (the first 80GB) can give you BC.ItsBriskBaby

Yes you can emulate the Emotion Engine... in fact it has already been done (with the original 80GB). The problem is that the EE is only one of TWO critical components needed for PS2 playback. The other is the Graphics Synthesizer (GPU). In the aforementioned model this was still a physical component. And that patent people keep bringing up as "definitive proof" that Sony will bring back BC makes absolutely no mention of it.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

They arent going to do it. They say there isnt enough demand.

http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation-3/koller-no-ps3-slim-backwards
-compatibility-upgradeable-hdd/

Mr_Ditters

This disappoints me :(

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ItsBriskBaby
[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"][QUOTE="HarshGamer"] It is true because the TC asked if it IS possible, not if it WILL be possible. And even if it will be possible in the future, it is not yet sure if Sony would add BC to the PS3. Ignorant........HarshGamer
Why the name calling? Why don't you read the topic again! He said is it a hardware feature or will it be a patch. School man School!

Google it!
HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HarshGamer

[QUOTE="HarshGamer"][QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"] Why the name calling? Why don't you read the topic again! He said is it a hardware feature or will it be a patch. School man School!ItsBriskBaby

Google it!

Well, at least give me an exact official release date....

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

"Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3," hetold us earlier today, "there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think — and noticed this from our research — that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason]".

"And it's not just like 50 or 60 percent. It's well into the 80 or 90 percentile range who are purchasing it for PS3 [games]. We do know that there are next gen consumers wanting to come over the the PS3. Most of those are consumers who have not utilized their PS2 for a little while and they're ready to jump into the PlayStation 3."

Full article here:http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility

cpinheiro2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 cpinheiro2
Member since 2009 • 181 Posts
Sony removed the PS2 Emotion Engine for the units produced after August 2007. The last one in the generation was the model 80GB NTSC CECHExx.
ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ItsBriskBaby

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"][QUOTE="HarshGamer"] Okay, then give me some links......HarshGamer

Google it!

They don't have a release date as of yet it's just something they have, but aren't putting it out there yet. Don't you think if there was a date it would be everywhere?
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts
Sony removed the PS2 Emotion Engine for the units produced after August 2007. The last one in the generation was the model 80GB NTSC CECHExx.cpinheiro2
Well, that's a deal-breaker for me.
HarshGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HarshGamer
[QUOTE="HarshGamer"]

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"] Google it!ItsBriskBaby

They don't have a release date as of yet it's just something they have, but aren't putting it out there yet. Don't you think if there was a date it would be everywhere?

Then don't get his hopes up.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
All the emulators that Sony is going to release on the PS3 have already been released. I don't see any more emulators comming for the PS3.