audio problem with receiver

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bryan2625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bryan2625
Member since 2003 • 674 Posts

My dad bought a Denon AVR-2310CI receiver so that he could use my ps3 to watch bluray movies via hdmi and get the full sound he wants while eliminating the use for an optical cable. The ps3 is connected to the reciever by a hdmi cable, and the reciever is connected to a fairly old sony lcd tv using a hdmi cable and hdmi adaptor ( the tv didn't have hdmi inputs, only dvi, so it has a dvi hdmi adaptor).

Our problem is that when we go to the ps3's audio settings, we choose hdmi, then manual, then we get a message saying "This hdmi device cannot be used for audio output." The receiver seems to be set up right, as it gets sound when watching normal channels on tv. Can anybody help with this problem?

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

Your receiver's HDMI video inputs only support HDMI 1.1. It's only a guess, but you may want to try a different audio format. Enable stereo sound only and work your way up from there. It could be a setting on the receiver as well.

fedor19820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fedor19820
Member since 2009 • 752 Posts

its possible when u convert an hdmi signal to dvi it only works for video because dvi input is only good for video and not audio

u prob have to connect an optical cable from ps3 to receiver to get sound

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

You may want to talk to the guys in the audio/video forum. They may know more about this particular receiver and your problem in general.

Bryan2625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bryan2625

its possible when u convert an hdmi signal to dvi it only works for video because dvi input is only good for video and not audio

u prob have to connect an optical cable from ps3 to receiver to get sound

fedor19820

But the thing is the audio isn't supposed to go to the tv, it's supposed go from the reciever to the surround sound speakers. The tv is set up so it only does video, not audio

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 filfili
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts

What happens when you try "automatic" rather than "manual?"

Bryan2625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bryan2625

You may want to talk to the guys in the audio/video forum. They may know more about this particular receiver and your problem in general.

zaphod_b

Yeah I guess I'll try that

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 filfili
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts

Once in a while when I set things up for other people, I run into a problem where the receiver is set up incorrectly and programmed to do a audio passthrough to the TV. The PS3 then is basing its signal of TV rather than the recevier.

Bryan2625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bryan2625

What happens when you try "automatic" rather than "manual?"

filfili

My mistake, I meant to say "automatic" in my first post, not manual. When I chose "automatic", I got the message "This hdmi device cannot be used for audio output"