Are you serious?!?! (PS3 Just broke)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and my PS3 justbeeped and turned off by its self. The Red power button just kept flashing so I turned it off and turned it back on and it goes green for about a half a second and then the light turns yellow and then back to red. For the last few weeks I have been suspecting my PS3 was over heating becauseit was being a lot louder then usual even though I keep it in a well-ventilated area. So now I guess its broken... is there any way to get my game saves off of the hard drive?

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

**** happens.

I don't think you can recover saves, but I'm not sure. It'd be nice if someone knew how, because I'm in the same boat.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Yea, I don't think you can recover them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Well at least there was a price drop but it still makes me mad. I had a lot of music and photos not to mention a ton of game saves... I just don't understand how it could have done this. I have taken very great care of it and I have never left it on over night and every couple of hours I would turn off the system to give it a rest for about 30 min.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

If you put the hard drive in an external enclosure, you should be able to hook it up to your new ps3 and copy the data over. At least in theory, I've never done it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Can't I get the PS3 fixed and then have the data back? Or will fixing the PS3 cause the hdd to reformat? They only saves I really care about are my Demon's Souls and Fallout 3 saves not to mention my 1000+ songs. I just want my saves and my Call of Duty game that is stuck inside.

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and my PS3 justbeeped and turned off by its self. The Red power button just kept flashing so I turned it off and turned it back on and it goes green for about a half a second and then the light turns yellow and then back to red. For the last few weeks I have been suspecting my PS3 was over heating becauseit was being a lot louder then usual even though I keep it in a well-ventilated area. So now I guess its broken... is there any way to get my game saves off of the hard drive?

Mighty-Lu-Bu

I believe you've got the dreaded YLOD like I did. If you want to fix your PS3 & still keep the saved games & stuff from your HD, send it to GopherMods like I did.

http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37

I sent them my 60GB PS3 & got it back in a week with everything still on my HD!!!!! :) If you live in the United States except for Alaska & Hawaii (on the mainland), go with the prepaid shipping. Much cheaper than shipping it out on your own. If you have any questions, Casey can answer all your questions promptly. $70 for fixing & $11 for shipping makes it a very inexpensive fix for YLOD & it works!

Good luck man!

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scianix-Black

I have taken very great care of it and I have never left it on over night and every couple of hours I would turn off the system to give it a rest for about 30 min.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

This is exactly why I think that the yellow light will happen to all the Fat model PS3a sooner or later, it's only a matter of time. The only reason we haven't been seeing the 80GB models with it is because they came out more recently than the 60GB.

I took meticulous care of my PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Should I go with a PS3 slim? This is the third first generation PS3 that has bricked on me. My first was a 20GB and it got the YLOD but it lasted for almost 2 years. My second was a 60GB and something was happend to the HDMI port that screwed with the picture and now the 60GB I have now gets the YLOD. It is possible that I would be safer with the new Slims?

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scianix-Black

Most likely, yeah. That's what I'm going with.

I had an 80GB that died on me 3 days before I bought MW2, and 2 months short of its second birthday.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amsfm6

Can't I get the PS3 fixed and then have the data back? Or will fixing the PS3 cause the hdd to reformat? They only saves I really care about are my Demon's Souls and Fallout 3 saves not to mention my 1000+ songs. I just want my saves and my Call of Duty game that is stuck inside.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Oh well yeah :P , you can fix it or have it fixed and you'll have all of your data still, assuming it's not the hard drive that killed it. Sorry I just jumped to the conclusion that you were getting a new one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Only reason is if I get it fixed how long will it live for until I need to have it fixed again. Could it be my hdd that caused the YLOD because I put in a 160GB about 8+ months ago.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 amsfm6

From what I hear, the YLOD can be caused by multiple hardware issues. It could be the hard drive, but that's probably not the most likely problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I don't think the HDD is the problem because I read an online guide about the YLOD and it states that if the HDD is damaged or broken that a solid yellow light will come on and stay on. That is not the case with my PS3, a yellow light comes on for about a second then it turns red and flashes repeatedly. I do think that my PS3 somehow over heated because the fan has been pretty loud for about 2 weeks now which is strange because my system is usually very silent.

I am trying to decide weather or not to get a new PS3, I am afraid of the reliabibility of my system after it gets repaired but then again PS3 system failure is very rare from what I have been led to believe somewhere around 1% of the consoles in the US are or become defective.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Unless it is the hard drive that is broken?Then i would take it out before sending console to Sony for repair,then all your stuff will be still on there when console comes back.Or if you decide on buying a new console,then you could swap drives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I think I am going to go with Gophermods because they will restore data.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts

I think I am going to go with Gophermods because they will restore data.

Mighty-Lu-Bu
Let us know how it goes for you, good luck man.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Should I go with a PS3 slim? This is the third first generation PS3 that has bricked on me. My first was a 20GB and it got the YLOD but it lasted for almost 2 years. My second was a 60GB and something was happend to the HDMI port that screwed with the picture and now the 60GB I have now gets the YLOD. It is possible that I would be safer with the new Slims?

Mighty-Lu-Bu
Personally I would give up on the PS3 after 3 bricks, thats ridiculous. But if you really feel like getting a 4th one you might as well get the slim, its the same as any other model you would get new with a bigger hdd. Anyway that is probably the only model you will find on shelves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Sepewrath

Personally I would give up on the PS3 after 3 bricks, thats ridiculous. But if you really feel like getting a 4th one you might as well get the slim, its the same as any other model you would get new with a bigger hdd. Anyway that is probably the only model you will find on shelves.

Well my first PS3, (20GB) I got it in December 2006 and it got the YLOD December of 2008 and previously before it bricked I had no problems with it whatsoever. My second PS3 was a 60GB that was refurbished that I got from Gamestop and it had a defective video card or hdmi port, something to that nature and I returned it about a week later. My next PS3 was another refurbished 60GB from Gamestop and I have had it for about 6+ months and other than the YLOD I have had no problems with it. For the most part I think PS3s are very reliable as a system and I think I am going to get my PS3 fixed and back up the data so I won't be in this situation again and if it bricks again then I will go with the new slims. I want to wait at least 6 months before getting a slim because I want to see if they are as reliable as the 20GB and 60GB models.

capone420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 capone420x
Member since 2004 • 669 Posts

i'm in the same boat as you just got mw2 and beat demons souls and my br stops reading discs. I didnt want to go the sony route so i sent it to gophermods since they seem to have a quick turnaround and alot of people recommend them. I havent used them before but they seem like a reputable company. I can't wait to get it back now. I was a in a middle of a mp match of mw2 and it froze on thursday night. Got it sent off friday should be at gophermods by wed and it will get shipped back to me hopefully monday or tuesday. Good luck to the both of us.

x_xion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 x_xion_
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

that sucks for you

Avatar image for DragoonKain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragoonKain1687
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

Well, it depends. Mine YLOD a couple of weeks ago, and I fixed it. I bought used PS3 parts and replaced the motherboard (not recommended unless you understand mechanics). Did not loose anything.

There are several reasons for this. The most common is overheating, which after 1 hour should let you play again.

Then comes when the thermic grease on the main chips is dry, which requires you to open the console, and apply some new grease. This process also needs you to "reflow" you mainboard (check the Blisky (sp?) on Youtube for a full step by step guide.

The other is what happened to me, which is the lowest possible event, which is a failure in the mother. And you will need to replace it.

If you can do any of the above, you wont loose any saves.

Though, just in case, since this solutions are temporary (the last one is the most durable though) is to buy a new one. I bought an Slim recently, couldnt be happier, though I did loose my PS2 BC, and my Rock Band and Demon's Souls saves.

ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

Mighty-Lu-Bu
This is exactly what just happened to mine :cry:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Hopefully Gopher mods will be able to bring it back to life. I already paid for the service and I got prepaid shipping from them but I havn't got the shipping label from them yet, its been over 2 hours... hopefully they are just really busy...

grizzlybear1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grizzlybear1
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Unlucky about your PS3. Did you leave it on standby all the time or doid you turn it off at the back when not in use?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I would leave it on stand by, probably part of the problem here.

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

One time my PS3 did something like that and when I turned it back on it had corrupted data, which somehow it was able to uncorrupt. After that I moved my PS3 to a more open area and it has worked fine since.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I would leave it on stand by, probably part of the problem here.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

I would ALWAYS leave my PS2 slim on standby and it never broke down. My 60gig PS3 on the other hand broke down on me once after 6 months of use and then again after Uncharted 2 came out. I hope that gophersmod thing works cause I'm reluctant to spend 170 bucks getting it fix and then probably have it break on me again.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Try something different try a 360 :)
springz650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 springz650
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i got the yellow light 2 months ago, but i was too impatient to send it to sony . so i just bought a slim.

once i get it fixed ill have 2 ps3s however

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I just shipped my PS3 to Gopher mods and they were really helpful. Casey answered all of my questions and I was really pleased with his customer service. Total plus shipping (I got prepaid shipping through Gopher mods for $10.99) it will cost me $80.99. Plus it will have a 60 day warranty from Gopher mods and if it breaks down again I will probably just get a PS3 slim. Right now it beats the alternative of paying $299 for a new console.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mine broke today from the exact same thing. I just bought a Slim to replace it

Avatar image for LynnardZeppelin
LynnardZeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LynnardZeppelin
Member since 2006 • 106 Posts

it just happened to me to is there any way to get the game out?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

LynnardZeppelin

You can take your PS3 apart and get it out but other than that no. I wanted to get my copy of Borderland out but I'd probably break something if I took it apart

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="LynnardZeppelin"]

BPoole96

You can take your PS3 apart and get it out but other than that no. I wanted to get my copy of Borderland out but I'd probably break something if I took it apart

Wait, your PS3 died recently too?

Darktiger12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darktiger12
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

Just another idea, but when my ps3 got ylod i sent it to a company called video game 911. So far after a few months no problems just another place, and they save data.

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
You guys are freaking me out. Scared to play MW2 now. Hope my second 60gb doesnt die. I think it will, so me and sony service gonna hafta have another talk. Ridiculous to hafta pay another 150 when i could of just bought a brand new one for same price. Its not my fault. Its theirs. Still love the games though.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
YLOD and faulty BD drives are a common problem with the fat PS3's. I had three fat PS3's stopped working due to faulty BD drives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Gopher mods does price matching with other video game console repair shops and they will guarantee that they will not lose whatever game or movie that is inside the system and if they do they will replace it for free.