Are you satisfied with fighting games this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

Also, what are some of your favorites?

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ace_of_Spades90

Despite being relatively new to gaming, the fighting genre has gradually and unexpectedly became my favorite. I like that it's something that I can just pick up and play, not having to worry about sidequests, hidden things, and all that stuff (I love rpgs but they are much too time consuming).

My first fighting game was Super Street Fighter 4. I like to think I was pretty good, ha. But I stopped due to school, work, etc. The amount of depth in that game is daunting, to say the least. I feel like it's the kind of fighter where you have to be committed, practicing religiously just to stay in the game. I went two months without playing it, and when I did decided to play it again one day, it just wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong; I think the game is way up there as one of the better fighters, but it's a little too hardcore for me.

Injustice is a game I picked up because I heard it was a DC fighter. DC + Fighting? How could I resist? It's now one of my most played games, and while it is not the most complex fighter out there, I feel as though it's perfect for me.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I am satisfied with this generation of fighting games. I have Super Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter HD Remix, Mortal Kombat, Tekken 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, Soul Calibur IV, Dead Or Alive V and The King of Fighters XIII.

Where I am a little disappointed in this generation is..... 1. There isn't any new fighting game. I would like to see a brand new fresh fighting game with new characters rather than just another addition to a series. I guess Injustice is new but I would like to see more brand new fighting games...... 2. Very few beat em up games for the PS3.

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ace_of_Spades90

I am satisfied with this generation of fighting games. I have Super Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter HD Remix, Mortal Kombat, Tekken 5, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, Soul Calibur IV, Dead Or Alive V and The King of Fighters XIII.

Where I am a little disappointed in this generation is..... 1. There isn't any new fighting game. I would like to see a brand new fresh fighting game with new characters rather than just another addition to a series. I guess Injustice is new but I would like to see more brand new fighting games...... 2. Very few beat em up games for the PS3.

BH14

Mortal Kombat's online was unplayable for me what with the server being so unstable. Shame. How is Virtual Fighter 5? I hear it's the most difficult fighting game out there. And is there an online mode?

About not having enough new fighting series, I agree. There were, however, a lot of of new ones on psn. Skullgirls, Girl Fight, Divekick are just a few. I'm curious about Divekick. It looks hilarious :P

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

[QUOTE="BH14"]

Ace_of_Spades90

Mortal Kombat's online was unplayable for me what with the server being so unstable. Shame. How is Virtual Fighter 5? I hear it's the most difficult fighting game out there. And is there an online mode?

About not having enough new fighting series, I agree. There were, however, a lot of of new ones on psn. Skullgirls, Girl Fight, Divekick are just a few. I'm curious about Divekick. It looks hilarious :P

Virtua Fighter 5 doesn't have an online mode but Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown does. I highly recommend VF 5: Final Showdown especially with all the customizations. Most difficult? It depends on the competition. I don't know about that but there is a lot of learning to do if you want to be great at it. There isn't any simple button mashing and winning in this game or crazy over the top moves that you may see in other games.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts
I am not a big fan of fighting games but i have seen plenty of them on shelves so i'm assuming it is still lucrative for developers.
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

Before I wasn't really a fan of fighting games, but this generation has made me come to love fighting games for some reason. I think it all started with that new Mortal Kombat game, and then my fascination for fighting games skyrocketed from there :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
*Not really, not a single fighting game has caught my attention this gen
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I like the one's that have great offline single/co-op game modes.

1) DBZ Budokia 3 HD remake is an amazing game. A free roaming-ish story mode where you level up characters and enjoy DBZ storyline through the eyes of each character, tournament mode where you and a few friends can compete, earn zinnei to purchase new stages and moves, can customize move sets for each character, has a deep combat system. 

2) Blazeblue CSE. It has very smooth controls. Story mode is kinda meh due to 80% of it bieng talking. But the other few game modes it offers is a blast. Abyssal mode is really fun.

3) Mortal Kombat. It has a great story mode, and smooth gameplay.

And once Soul Calibur 2 HD remake comes out, its gonna be a must have.

Overall I think im satisfied with fighting games this gen.

BattleBlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 BattleBlog
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I am pretty happy with them, compared to what they used to be anyway. They are much more realistic .. which is a bit scary but it makes game play more interesting I guess.
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ace_of_Spades90

What are your guys' opinion on Dead or Alive V Ultimate? Does it feel different compared to, say, Tekken? Anything I should know?

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ace_of_Spades90

I am pretty happy with them, compared to what they used to be anyway. They are much more realistic .. which is a bit scary but it makes game play more interesting I guess.BattleBlog

Scary?

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ace_of_Spades90

[QUOTE="Ace_of_Spades90"]

[QUOTE="BH14"]

BH14

Virtua Fighter 5 doesn't have an online mode but Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown does. I highly recommend VF 5: Final Showdown especially with all the customizations. Most difficult? It depends on the competition. I don't know about that but there is a lot of learning to do if you want to be great at it. There isn't any simple button mashing and winning in this game or crazy over the top moves that you may see in other games.

Thanks for the clarification. And no crazy over the top moves? That sounds great, actually. Seems like my kind of game.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14829 Posts

No I think the 5th gen had my favorite fighting games. The only one I really like from this gen is Street Fighter IV. I hated Tekken 6. I have yet to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Super Street Fighter IV is one of my favourite games from last gen and it has provided me with hundreds of hours of enjoyment. Learning new tech, playing online or localy with friends, and attending local tournaments were a blast. Me and my friends also get together every year for Evo parties. Great times and an excellent community.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes it seems that fighting games have made a bit of a comeback in popularity in the 8th geneartyion. My favorite game is the Mortal Kombat Reboot. I am a huge Mortal Kombat fan.

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I find that the fighting genre for this generation to be an alright one, last generations is my favorite though.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Very.

Fighting games were basically all I extensively played this gen, that and shooters.

hellohowsit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hellohowsit
Yes I'm satisfied with fight games this gen. Ratings of Fav fighting games this gen. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 : 10/10: can't ask for anything more in fighting games. the ultimate, never gets old, so many moves, The king of all fighters returns with the best in the series yet. There is no competetion imo. Tekken 6: 9.5/10 : Amazing game but tekken tag 2 is better Soul Calibur V: 8/10. Good game. Dead or Alive 5: 8/10 Although the moves are sort of limited, Doa 5 is a lot of fun single and multiplayer Have not played mortal komabt on ps3 yet, looking forward one trying one out soon. And Virtua fighter is a good game too but I only give it 7/10 as the 2 player experience just wasn't that amazing. the most important part of fighters are the offline multiplayer for me- and vf just isn't that fun to play when you have 5 or 6 people taking turns or tournaments etc. Street Fighter IV isn't very good imo, They just don't have the depth of other good fighters. I had expected something new from IV but it was the same old school button basher with good graphics. Yes you can do a lot of moves is street fighter if you are good, however there is no depth is each character like tekken or soul calibur, moves look dull , game play is based around finger hurting button mashing yet its not that fun when playing with ,mates. A shame cause few of the street fighter characters are decent. 6/10 Any other fighters worth trying?
KratosPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KratosPrincess
Fighting games is what I play the most, Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur and also the Playstation All-stars battle royale.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I don't play competitively, nor do I play that well, but I consider myself part of the fighting game community (FGC). I started playing when SF4 came out and was a total scrub but as the game evolved so did I and I began to play UMVC3, SF3: Third Strike, and most recently Skullgirls. I even got myself an awesome arcade stick. I think the fighting games of this generation were generally good. Based on the games I've played, I wish SF4 was faster paced, but I think this generation did pretty well. However, I think there were too many fighting games out at once. hopefully with next generation we won't see so many at once. I'm really excited for Guilty Gear: Xrd.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts

BH14
There was Persona 4: Arena and Skullgirls!
Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown and TTT2.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="BH14"]

sagejonathan

and divekick. and a bunch of other little indie fighters
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#27 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Apart from say Super Street Fighter 4 and MK the fighting genre has been lacking this gen.

The online on SSF4 and perfect balance makes it still very fun to play. MK had poor online but it made up for that in the Challenge Tower and good story mode. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was also a pretty decent fighter too.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#28 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

There's only one game that really stands out for me this gen, its the Deadliest Warrior series, Deadliest Warrior and the superior Deadlier Warrior Legends.

The games got low reviews but I think they're great. Me and my mate can play Legends for hours and it never gets boring.

For all their polish, none of the main games let me cut someone's arm off, their head off and cut them in half at their torso, all in one battle.

Previous gen favourites were Soul Calibur IV and Urban Reign and in terms of fun, with the exception of DW, I don't think they've been matched.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I did get into the fighting genre this generation with BlazBlue:CT being the first. I only got it for story mode though. I did like the smash brothers game so when PS All Stars came out I got that, fun fighting party game I play everyweek. I've tried many fighting games through PS+ but so far the only one that stuck it for the long term is BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend for the Vita. Since its on a handheld it makes it so much easier to boot up, I practice everynight now. Wish I had some local players to fight against though cause fighting against Ragna gets old real quick.

AzureDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AzureDrive
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
For sure, BlazBlue has quickly became one of my favorite series. Persona 4 Arena was a nice addition too.
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts
[QUOTE="BH14"]

sagejonathan

Oh man, completely forgot about those games lol. Yeah those were awesome too :). Let's throw in BlazBlue and Capcom vs Tatsunoko into the mix :)
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm terrible at fighting games, and I generally stay away from them, but I really liked Super Street Fighter IV. I also plan on getting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure when it comes out because it looks absolutely ridiculous.