hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Are the Disgaea games fun to play? I'm thinking about getting one on the PSP. If so, which one is the best in your opinion?

Is it possible to download Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories, onto the PSP from the playstation network? It's hard for me to find where the games are located on that site, so i wanted to get the information quickly from here.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's one of the best franchises going with literally hundreds of hours of gameplay

Which ones are on the PSP? 1 & 2?

If you're interested in story I would grab one. Also each iteration adds a ton of stuff, it may be worth it to start small and grow like the franchise grew.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I was gonna say sum thing sarcastic and dochey, but instead I'll answer honestly cause disgaea is pretty great. If ur gonna get em I recommend getting the handheld versions of each cause they come with all or most of the dlc. First one is my fav so that's what I recommend.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

It's a great series, even though there's much room left to improve. You should still try it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

The original was a great game, and the sequels are at least good from a gameplay perspective. I think you really have to be in a specific mood to play Disgaea, though.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

If you're going to play on PSP, might as well start with the first. Both are downloadable for the PSP and Vita, atleast in the US.

WannabeSbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WannabeSbb
Member since 2015 • 71 Posts

Is it necessary to play them in order? I don't really have any capacity at all to play any of them, unless there are some that've been made available on the PS4 that I don't know of. I was planning on entering with Disgaea 5.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

@wannabesbb said:

Is it necessary to play them in order? I don't really have any capacity at all to play any of them, unless there are some that've been made available on the PS4 that I don't know of. I was planning on entering with Disgaea 5.

No, you're good to go.

Some of the games tie together but 5 is going to be a completely new installment.

WannabeSbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WannabeSbb

@Jaysonguy: Groovy.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka

@Jaysonguy said:

@wannabesbb said:

No, you're good to go.

Some of the games tie together but 5 is going to be a completely new installment.

This. Some characters have had recurring roles but even then they weren't in a capacity that the story would be lost on anyone. Only thing newbies to the series really miss out is some of the humor in post game with character cameos.

WannabeSbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WannabeSbb

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@wannabesbb said:

No, you're good to go.

This. Some characters have had recurring roles but even then they weren't in a capacity that the story would be lost on anyone. Only thing newbies to the series really miss out is some of the humor in post game with character cameos.

Even so, is there any kind of canon? Or are most things resolved on a per-game basis?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jaysonguy

@wannabesbb said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@wannabesbb said:

No, you're good to go.

Even so, is there any kind of canon? Or are most things resolved on a per-game basis?

Hmmmm, that's a tough question

Like EO said, what you really miss is what characters are doing now.

Sometimes it's full on, like the first Disgaea has a follow up called Disgaea D2 and it followed the first set of characters in what they're doing now. It's also an amazing game that I scored 9.5 on my site.

Others are small cameos that you may not get but they're cameos so if you don't get them it's not going to ruin your enjoyment of the game.

The thing is each Disgaea game builds on the last as far as mechanics go. They add new ones and switch out some older ones that may not mesh with everything. It's really one of the most refined franchises around. I'm hoping that the large install base on the PS4 leads to it being played by more of the mainstream because really, when you play a Disgaea game you just want to play more.

WannabeSbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WannabeSbb

@Jaysonguy said:

my site.

tell me more

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hydralisk86

Does it matter whether i buy the hard version (am i making sense?) of the game for PSP, or download it from Playstation Network? I mean are there any differences between them? If so, which one is better?

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eikichi-Onizuka

@hydralisk86 said:

Does it matter whether i buy the hard version (am i making sense?) of the game for PSP, or download it from Playstation Network? I mean are there any differences between them? If so, which one is better?

No differences, just depends if you want a physical copy or not.

From PS2 to PSP there is some added content from the original versions, and Etna's voice was rerecorded with the new VA from 2 onward for the PSP version of the first.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hydralisk86

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

From PS2 to PSP there is some added content from the original versions, and Etna's voice was rerecorded with the new VA from 2 onward for the PSP version of the first.

Just making sure if i made sense. I was comparing the downloadable version of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP versus the physical copy of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Just making sure if i made sense. I was comparing the downloadable version of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP versus the physical copy of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP.

Those are the same. The download versions may have slightly better load times but that's it.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hydralisk86

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Those are the same.

The games are the same in every way?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Those are the same.

Grab the digital version and be able to use it on the Vita or whatever next handheld is released.

If you buy physical you're stuck with the PSP and that's it.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hydralisk86

@Jaysonguy said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Those are the same.

Grab the digital version and be able to use it on the Vita or whatever next handheld is released.

When i went onto the Playstation Network website, you can get the Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness game there for about $15. However, the Amazon website has the Sony PSP PSN code for the same game for sale there, but that code is atm unavailable. Are they both for the same game? If so, i think that just makes thing more inconvenient, what with having the game available through 2 ways.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

@hydralisk86 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Those are the same.

When i went onto the Playstation Network website, you can get the Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness game there for about $15. However, the Amazon website has the Sony PSP PSN code for the same game for sale there, but that code is atm unavailable. Are they both for the same game? If so, i think that just makes thing more inconvenient, what with having the game available through 2 ways.

Amazon used to sell PSP games digitally, that's been phased out.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hydralisk86

@Jaysonguy said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

@hydralisk86 said:

Those are the same.

Amazon used to sell PSP games digitally, that's been phased out.

Were there differences between the version Amazon sold, and the one you buy from the Playstation Network site?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

@hydralisk86 said:

Were there differences between the version Amazon sold, and the one you buy from the Playstation Network site?

They're all the same game digitally

This question made me start up the first one again on the Vita, it really holds up well.

The game even tells you that you don't need to understand every single bit of the game to finish it.