Are Playstion 3 games region free?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fulcrum86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fulcrum86
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
Iam planning to buyone from Play-Asia and I want to know. Also I want to know if the controllers and other accesories are region free.
legofan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 legofan712
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
I'm pretty sure everything ISN'T region free, mainly because if you look at the PS3 games on the side, it's the NTSC-1 setting, and all the accessories and controller's will run on a different AC/DC.
lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
YES, every PS3 games and accessories are region free.
W3dotCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 W3dotCOM
Member since 2005 • 1942 Posts
Sony mentioned that all first party games will be, but third party will be able to choose. But, I know tht even then NA and Japan share teh same region now, so you can import Japanese games to NA.
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

yes, the games are region free.

the movies however aren't, but japan is in the same region as united states now.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Yes PS3 games are region free but not movies or PS/PS2 games.
kelindas02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kelindas02
Member since 2004 • 343 Posts

another thing to be wary of. if you buy import games they may not be compatible with updates via PSN. I got Ninja Gaiden sigma (japanese version) and i also downloaded the demo (us version/ i have a US ps3). supposedly there is some kind of thing that allows the game to recognize the demo and give you extra stuff as a reward for demo play time. My game didn't recognize my demo data. Also, something I've noticed... people with the Japanese version of Tekken 5 DR can not play people with the US version of Tekken 5 DR.

so if you buy import, you may not be able to get the additional game content unless you make that region's PSN. I'm not 100 percent sure but i'm around 75-85 percent... it's why i haven't downloaded any of the content for Ninja Gaiden... I'm worried i would have downloaded them for nothing. of course I could always make a japanese account, but..... let's face it.. I'm just lazy.

dragonseer439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 dragonseer439
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts
I bought my PS3 from playasia.  Playstation 3 games are region free, so no worries there.  The only issue so far is with Resistance for multiplayer, you can't play multiplayer if the machine is out of the region it was bought from. This is not expected to happen for any other game, just a launch issue.  PS1 and PS2 games will be NTSC-J, DVD's will be region 2 only, and for Blu ray Japan and North America have the same region.  No problems with accesories.  If you are buying from Playasia I would recommend getting a rumble controller early (they are out soon in Japan, be the envy of everyone! lol) and a Japanese PSN network card, so you can buy games from the Japanese PSN store.  The Japanese PSN has a much bigger library of PS1/PSP games than the other stores.
PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
yes, all of the PS3 games are region free, it's just the NTSC you have to be careful of
Ottozero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Ottozero
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts
ooooouuuuu...Who cares, PS3 games they suck.I would of perferred the PS3 to allow PS2 imports, that would of been nice...very nice