Are large DLP TV's good for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dante82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dante82
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts

I have been considering buying a Toshiba 65HM167 65" 1080p DLP HDTV. Are DLP's of this size good for gaming? Or should I go for a 50" plasma TV for about the same amount of money?

_RA0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _RA0_
Member since 2007 • 855 Posts

LCD is better imo, since i own one :P

google it for more information

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5166 Posts
I have a 61" Samsung DLP 1080P HDTV and all my games look great on it. You need to sit back a good distance though.
ps3and360owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ps3and360owner
Member since 2007 • 661 Posts
lcds are better for gaming period.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
Um....why are LCD's better for gaming?
LanceSSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LanceSSJ
Member since 2003 • 882 Posts

I have a 61" Samsung DLP 1080P HDTV and all my games look great on it. You need to sit back a good distance though.Star67

I have the same TV as this guy and it looks and is amazing. IF you are wanted a TV past 50 inches then DLP is the way to go especially for cost. I sit prob 7 feet from my TV and I see everything well and graphics are killer

PS3Licker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PS3Licker
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts

LCD or Plasmas 720p or 1080p HDMI are way better

I have viewsonic 720p lcd HDMI 40" and i love it with my ps3

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Someone explain to me in precise, technical terms why DLP is worse than LCD for gaming.

I'm not letting that comment slip...

Mafia17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mafia17
Member since 2007 • 453 Posts

I have a 52in Toshiba DLP and it looks fantastic. DLP has faster response time then LCD and better contrast ratios. And no burn ins like plasmsa.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/bringtolife.aspx?

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
they are often very unsharp.
NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

Someone explain to me in precise, technical terms why DLP is worse than LCD for gaming.

Redfingers

Good luck getting an answer that doesn't include "because I have one and it looks great," or "that's what my friends all tell me."

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
hmmm, I find a good DLP set to be better than LCD..faster reponse time, better blacks, no screen door affect, etc, etc, etc...LCD's I find to be the best if space is a conern...but not the best performing unless you drop a load on a Sony Bravia or something like that.
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
If you're looking to get a DLP get the newer Samsungs with the LED lamps for a longer lamp life
dr-venkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dr-venkman
Member since 2006 • 1561 Posts
I've had a 46'' DLP for about four months now. So far it's been fantastic. There's no screen burn to worry about. There cheap (in price, not quality) I don't know if I could ever buy a 50''+ TV. For me it would be too big. I'm not sure how a 65'' would look, but if will depend on your sitting distance. My brother just got a 42'' Plasma five days ago. I haven't really watched anything on it. But I played R6 Vegas on 360 for about ten minutes, and it seemed to look great. When I watched King Kong on HD-DVD, it was like watching real life. It makes your TV look like a portal to an alternate world that I wish I could crawl through. I'm assuming any 1080p TV will look the same. But the DLP picture really looked sharp and fantastic. Personaly though, with the two TV's you listed above. I would go with the Plasma. Just because I would not want a 65'' TV.
PapaGlide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 PapaGlide
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
i got an LCD 40 inch and it owns
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

Redfingers

Here you go, this is from wiki. hope it helps

Pros

• Smooth (at 1080p resolution), jitter-free images.
  • Perfect geometry and excellent grayscale linearity achievable.
  • Usually great ANSI contrast.
  • No possibility of phosphor burn-in.
  • Less "screen door effect" than with LCD projectors.
  • DLP rear projection TVs are smaller, thinner, and lighter than CRT projectors.
  • DLP rear projection TVs are considerably cheaper than LCD or plasma flat-panel displays and can still offer 1080p resolution
  • The use of a replaceable light source means a potentially longer life than CRTs and plasma displays.
  • The light source is more-easily replaceable than the backlights used with LCDs, and on DLPs is often user-replaceable.
  • Using two projectors, one can project full color stereoscopic images using polarized process (because beams can be polarized).

[edit] Pros Projectors

• Exact pixels (due to the mirror technology) (Will not be "blurry" like a CRT projector)
  • No possible "burnout" with the picture like with LCD or CRT since the mirrors is an mechanical solution. On many LCD projectors will the visual failure be visible after only ~1000 hours due to the heat from the lamp which burns the LCD display
  • High contrast
  • Minimal separations between the pixels

[edit] Cons

• In single-chip designs, some viewers are bothered by the "rainbow effect," explained above.
  • Some viewers experience eye strain, headaches, and migraines when viewing DLP screens.
  • Not as thin as LCD or plasma flat-panel displays (although approximately comparable in weight), though newer sets are thin enough to be wall-mounted.
  • Some devices may have fan noise.
  • Silk screen effect
  • "Screen door effect" (SDE) may be visible at close distance and/or with lower resolution models (720p resolution and lower). SDE can also be perceived as artificially sharp looking (due to dark gaps between mirrors/pixels which are high frequency content, not part of the image displayed) and not film-like.
  • Dithering noise may be noticeable, especially in dark image areas. Newer (post ~2004) chip generations have less noise than older ones.
  • Error-diffusion artifacts caused by averaging a shade over different pixels, since one pixel cannot render the shade exactly.
  • Mediocre on-off contrast compared to CRT reference.
  • Response time in video games may be affected by upscaling lag. While all non-CRT HDTVs have some lag when upscaling lower resolution input to their native resolution, DLPs are commonly reported to have noticeably longer delays. Newer consoles such as the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 do not have this problem as long as they are connected with HD-capable cables. [3]
  • Color rendition can be off, especially the bright reds and yellows when at maximum brightness.
  • More mechanical than traditional CRT, LCD, plasma, and LCoS displays.
  • Poor viewing angle compared with direct-view technologies such as CRT, Plasma, and LCD.

[edit] Cons Projectors

• The rainbow effect. Very few people can feel sick even if they can't see the "effect".
  • More sensitive to "bumps" than an LCD projector since it uses a mechanical solution.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
notice the sentence talking about the gaming cosoles, that's why lcd is better for gaming
Duo75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Duo75
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts
That was helpful, thanks!!!
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

notice the sentence talking about the gaming cosoles, that's why lcd is better for gamingRakuho

Oh, you mean this sentence?

"Response time in video games may be affected by upscaling lag. While all non-CRT HDTVs have some lag when upscaling lower resolution input to their native resolution, DLPs are commonly reported to have noticeably longer delays. Newer consoles such as the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 do not have this problem as long as they are connected with HD-capable cables."

If you're playing a PS2 or Gamecube you are out of luck, but you're also playing a PS2 and Gamecube. Nuff said.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

hmmm, I find a good DLP set to be better than LCD..faster reponse time, better blacks, no screen door affect, etc, etc, etc...LCD's I find to be the best if space is a conern...but not the best performing unless you drop a load on a Sony Bravia or something like that. creekfan_basic

Well, depending on the diff. aspecs of the tv itself, what you just said could be said about the lcd being better. DLP's, I feel, are a chaper version of the lcd, and I dont mean that in a bad way, but anyone can tell you that, and everyone knows that a dlp of a part. size is going to be cheaper in price than a lcd of the same size. If you were to compare two tv's made by the same company, of the same size, in lcd and dlp, I gurantee, though, that the lcd woudl be the better tv, period. Yet, for price, the dlp woudl be the better bargain since it would compete quite well graphically against the lcd, even though the lcd is tech. the bettr quality tv for any experience.

legendbyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 legendbyname
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

If you are getting an RPTV forget LCD and DLP

LCoS is the way to go. Look at the SXRD. awesome value 

T-Zone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 T-Zone
Member since 2003 • 4525 Posts
hmmm, I find a good DLP set to be better than LCD..faster reponse time, better blacks, no screen door affect, etc, etc, etc...LCD's I find to be the best if space is a conern...but not the best performing unless you drop a load on a Sony Bravia or something like that. creekfan_basic
Which is what I did. Dropped some cash on a Brand new model Sony Bravia.
ebwilson56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 ebwilson56
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

So the question is whether a DLP TV is good for gaming? DLPs have great picture and good response times, but the big down fall for DLPs is that you will need to replace the bulb after 2000 to 3000 hours of use which in the long run can be very costly. A plasma have great contrast and a truer black than any type of TV and they also are great for very fast response times which is great for gaming, but they can develop burn ins when having the same image on the screen to long. LCDs are great for a wide range of things for a cheaper price than the other types of TVs, but for gaming they are in the middle of the road when it comes to fast paced games because they tend to blur when the animations start moving to fast. So when it comes down to it, its up to preference, but if you are looking just for gaming i would go with a Plasma, and if you are looking for a big tv that can be great for a living room I would go with a DLP.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

@dante82:

Neither. If your asking.

65 is fun in theory but stretches your resolution a bit.. Having several HD Tv's in home let me recommend for gaming.

I would go with LED 50 to 55 Inches with 240MHZ or higher. LED in my option has a brighter sharper picture, far more life, fast refresh and the 240mhz will give you such a smooth motion on screen it looks live. I would grab 3d as well if you can. Games like AC3 and UNCHARTED are sweet in 3d.