Anyone worried that history will repeat itself?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts

I am talking about the PSP and Vita solely as handheld consoles, the hype of Vita is to me showing similar signs what the PSP had when it first launched, the ambitious hardware, however over the PSP console lifetime the software was handled properly by Sony.

Do people get the impression that Vita has a possibility of heading in the same direction and what can Sony do to prevent this from happening?

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
To prevent it ? they have already done it ! Best launch ever, second analog etc ! And I hope history will repeat itself with 71.4 million (as of September 14, 2011) PSPs sold,
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
Time will tell, this is why I probably won't buy a Vita until at least a year after it has been out.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Sony will hopefully release plenty games of different genres and advertise them. A good mix of new IPs and already known series should do the trick.

calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts
I honestly don't think Vita is going to THAT successful. It's way more expensive than the PSP was at launch and Handheld gaming isn't as popular anymore. Everyone has their iPods and Androids. I don't even own a portable system. When I did, it was a PSP that I used for music and the occasional movie because I didn't have anything to play music on. When I got my Android, I gave my PSP to my 9 year old brother. Everything I used that for, I can do even better on my Android. And honestly, I don't think I'll be buying another portable system. I already have a PS3 and a kick butt PC. Portable Systems are dying. But I don't think its because us as the consumer would RATHER play Angry Birds than Uncharted or whatever, its just that we already have something we take around with us everywhere we go, an Android or an iPhone. We don't feel like spending our money on a portable system and the games, and carrying it around all the time, when all the good games are on consoles and PC. If we want a fun little game to entertain us for a while, we can play it on our phones for $2 or $4 or even free. Not saying PS Vita isn't amazingly cool. I would easily recommend it to anyone wanting a portable system. But I don't think Portable Systems are for the older crowd.
godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
A good launch lineup is good, however consistency of delivering Vita specific games is what I am talking about not the total number of units sold. If they are consistent ports of console games then it will be a put off. Sony needs to establish a IP that gives Vita an identity, Japan already had that with Monster Hunter, the west however doesn't have that sort of game.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I honestly don't think Vita is going to THAT successful. It's way more expensive than the PSP was at launch and Handheld gaming isn't as popular anymore. Everyone has their iPods and Androids. I don't even own a portable system. When I did, it was a PSP that I used for music and the occasional movie because I didn't have anything to play music on. When I got my Android, I gave my PSP to my 9 year old brother. Everything I used that for, I can do even better on my Android. And honestly, I don't think I'll be buying another portable system. I already have a PS3 and a kick butt PC. Portable Systems are dying. But I don't think its because us as the consumer would RATHER play Angry Birds than Uncharted or whatever, its just that we already have something we take around with us everywhere we go, an Android or an iPhone. We don't feel like spending our money on a portable system and the games, and carrying it around all the time, when all the good games are on consoles and PC. If we want a fun little game to entertain us for a while, we can play it on our phones for $2 or $4 or even free. Not saying PS Vita isn't amazingly cool. I would easily recommend it to anyone wanting a portable system. But I don't think Portable Systems are for the older crowd. calebcop
I don't mean to be rude but if you don't play handheld console, psp, or care about it...why are you here? As far as PSP costing more, that's wrong. It retailed for $249.99. And even though i own most of the Apple products i still prefer a handheld with controls. I don't mind lugging around the PSP or DS in my bag whenever i'm out. It's just personal preference. And back to topic, i doubt history will repeat itself in this case mainly because of the software. Starting with a solid lineup of games we are familiar with. I believe the PSP was Sony's first step into handhelds and they've learned what they did wrong by fixing it for the Vita. Come back in a year here and see the buzz it will be creating in the long run.
calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

[QUOTE="calebcop"]I honestly don't think Vita is going to THAT successful. It's way more expensive than the PSP was at launch and Handheld gaming isn't as popular anymore. Everyone has their iPods and Androids. I don't even own a portable system. When I did, it was a PSP that I used for music and the occasional movie because I didn't have anything to play music on. When I got my Android, I gave my PSP to my 9 year old brother. Everything I used that for, I can do even better on my Android. And honestly, I don't think I'll be buying another portable system. I already have a PS3 and a kick butt PC. Portable Systems are dying. But I don't think its because us as the consumer would RATHER play Angry Birds than Uncharted or whatever, its just that we already have something we take around with us everywhere we go, an Android or an iPhone. We don't feel like spending our money on a portable system and the games, and carrying it around all the time, when all the good games are on consoles and PC. If we want a fun little game to entertain us for a while, we can play it on our phones for $2 or $4 or even free. Not saying PS Vita isn't amazingly cool. I would easily recommend it to anyone wanting a portable system. But I don't think Portable Systems are for the older crowd. gokuofheaven
I don't mean to be rude but if you don't play handheld console, psp, or care about it...why are you here? As far as PSP costing more, that's wrong. It retailed for $249.99. And even though i own most of the Apple products i still prefer a handheld with controls. I don't mind lugging around the PSP or DS in my bag whenever i'm out. It's just personal preference. And back to topic, i doubt history will repeat itself in this case mainly because of the software. Starting with a solid lineup of games we are familiar with. I believe the PSP was Sony's first step into handhelds and they've learned what they did wrong by fixing it for the Vita. Come back in a year here and see the buzz it will be creating in the long run.

Headline. But yeah. Portable Systems are cool and all, they're just not for me. It seems like how 10 years ago everyone wanted GameBoys, but now everyone wants iPods and such. Just saying. Out of everyone I know who plays video games, only a few of them even play portable systems.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

As long as Sony doesn't pull the dead pixels routine again. PSvita is going to be great. I've preordered mine. Sony took long enough to put 2 analog sticks on the handheld.

nicholaslo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 nicholaslo
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

Vita will ne great with already great titles announced for this device, I think it will surpass the psp sales.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts

[QUOTE="gokuofheaven"][QUOTE="calebcop"]I honestly don't think Vita is going to THAT successful. It's way more expensive than the PSP was at launch and Handheld gaming isn't as popular anymore. Everyone has their iPods and Androids. I don't even own a portable system. When I did, it was a PSP that I used for music and the occasional movie because I didn't have anything to play music on. When I got my Android, I gave my PSP to my 9 year old brother. Everything I used that for, I can do even better on my Android. And honestly, I don't think I'll be buying another portable system. I already have a PS3 and a kick butt PC. Portable Systems are dying. But I don't think its because us as the consumer would RATHER play Angry Birds than Uncharted or whatever, its just that we already have something we take around with us everywhere we go, an Android or an iPhone. We don't feel like spending our money on a portable system and the games, and carrying it around all the time, when all the good games are on consoles and PC. If we want a fun little game to entertain us for a while, we can play it on our phones for $2 or $4 or even free. Not saying PS Vita isn't amazingly cool. I would easily recommend it to anyone wanting a portable system. But I don't think Portable Systems are for the older crowd. calebcop

Headline. But yeah. Portable Systems are cool and all, they're just not for me. It seems like how 10 years ago everyone wanted GameBoys, but now everyone wants iPods and such. Just saying. Out of everyone I know who plays video games, only a few of them even play portable systems.

Funny. Everyone I know who owns a PSP or plays a PSP IS of the older crowd... including myself. And even more funny enough, I don't own an iPhone or any other i-Anything. I own a PDA phone (HP Pre 3 - Palm Store unlocked) which I use to write down notes and documents and do other work-related stuff on with gaming being the farthest thing in my mind (hence, a PDA-phone rather than an iPhone or whatever else). When I want a good game (or good movie or some good music) on the go, I bring my PSP. Gaming, movies, music - on the go. When I want to play an older PSOne title that's been released to the downloadable PSN catalog, I can also play it on the PSP as well without having to go bother with the main console. When I want to play a game and someone else is using the television, I can simply pick up one of my portable gaming devices and have a go at it while I wait for the television to not be in use.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Headline. But yeah. Portable Systems are cool and all, they're just not for me. It seems like how 10 years ago everyone wanted GameBoys, but now everyone wants iPods and such. Just saying. Out of everyone I know who plays video games, only a few of them even play portable systemscalebcop
Everyone you know /=/ Public Opinion You say the ps vita is waaaaay more expensive than the psp at launch? Are you serious? The PSP Value Pack was around 249 USD same as the PSVita I don't see how it was way more expensive and even if it is, for the quality of hardware, the games and the value of the product you are buying 249 seems like a bargain. I highly doubt history will repeat itself, the PSV seems to have a solid lineup of launch titles, we can't really compare it to the PSP because it had stuff like "Tiger Woods", "Spiderman2" "World Tour Soccer" "Tony Hawk" I mean c'mon, that was an awful lot of games. I'm not saying it's gonna be a huge commercial success that will sell a million units in a day but to hear from someone who doesn't own a portable system and that only had one as an ocassional music or video player stuff like" the vita is not going to be popular, handheld gaming is dead, portable systems are not for the older crowd, people don't spend money on them because we don't like to carry it around"...it just doesn't seem right to me
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

If this can't achieve what they have expected from the beginning, they are highly to release another handheld gamer.

Don't ask me why i say this, people all know any enterprises in this world taking profile as final ambition.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#14 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

If the PSP ever had a problem, it was a lack of games. The line-up had barely any commendable games. However, the PS Vita has many great games in the line-up, so it will sell quite well. Even now, after getting a buncha good games, the PSP is a real seller in Japan :D

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gokuofheaven

If the PSP ever had a problem, it was a lack of games. The line-up had barely any commendable games. However, the PS Vita has many great games in the line-up, so it will sell quite well. Even now, after getting a buncha good games, the PSP is a real seller in Japan :D

Spinnerweb
The PS Vita is doing exactly what the PSP did. When the PSP was released we saw titles that were from PSOne or PS2 titles (Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, etc). The PS Vita is now releasing games the PS3 has but into handheld versions (ex. Modnation Racer, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, etc). The PSP never lacked games, it was all in the consumer's choice that they always wanted MORE and were not satisfied. PSP sales in Japan is still going strong with the Monster Hunter franchise.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#16 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]

gokuofheaven

The PS Vita is doing exactly what the PSP did. When the PSP was released we saw titles that were from PSOne or PS2 titles (Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, etc). The PS Vita is now releasing games the PS3 has but into handheld versions (ex. Modnation Racer, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, etc). The PSP never lacked games, it was all in the consumer's choice that they always wanted MORE and were not satisfied. PSP sales in Japan is still going strong with the Monster Hunter franchise.

I think the big mistake they made w/ PSP is that there are a lot of games that are good but still feel a little bit like lite versions of their console counterparts. I am hoping the new control possibilities for Vita get it some unique games you can't get on PS3 or elsewhere.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gokuofheaven

[QUOTE="gokuofheaven"][QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]

logicalfrank

I think the big mistake they made w/ PSP is that there are a lot of games that are good but still feel a little bit like lite versions of their console counterparts. I am hoping the new control possibilities for Vita get it some unique games you can't get on PS3 or elsewhere.

It's all about time and money. It's easier for developers to spend time and money on a franchise they know that will create revenue. But, new IP's like Gravity Rush, Little Deviants, Sound Shapes should help a bit.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#18 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I think the Vita is headed for a fail, depsite appearing to be the best handheld gaming experience out there.

I think not releasing the system in North America prior to the Christmas rush is a colossal mistake.

By January/February of next year, most people are going to be broke (if they're not already broke) and only the die-hards will rush out and by the system at full price. Everyone else will probably wait for a price drop - the 3DS dropped in price, why should people not expect the same here.

Most people already have powerful phones/pads that can play some pretty impressive games so its now like they're offering something revolutionary here.

I'm still hoping it works out for Sony, I like them as a company for the most part, but I think they blew it by missing the holiday season here.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts

I think the Vita is headed for a fail, depsite appearing to be the best handheld gaming experience out there.

I think not releasing the system in North America prior to the Christmas rush is a colossal mistake.

By January/February of next year, most people are going to be broke (if they're not already broke) and only the die-hards will rush out and by the system at full price. Everyone else will probably wait for a price drop - the 3DS dropped in price, why should people not expect the same here.

Most people already have powerful phones/pads that can play some pretty impressive games so its now like they're offering something revolutionary here.

I'm still hoping it works out for Sony, I like them as a company for the most part, but I think they blew it by missing the holiday season here.

d_parker
The PSP was released post-Christmas and its release went perfectly fine according to the numbers. If people want something, then they will save up - even if it means cutting back on the Christmas spending or simply waiting a little longer to get their Christmas present. It's not like Sony didn't give everyone plenty of notice that the Vita was coming and in relation to that, I think it was actually SMARTER of them to release AFTER Christmas as it would give people MORE time to SAVE rather than to spend it all on Christmas. The PSP, despite being launched post-Christmas and despite what everyone wants to say about it being a weak release, never went through a price break. The Vita is likely going to follow the same trend as the Vita and the PSP share a very similar price point with the brand new proprietary memory cards being the most visible piece of difference between them when comparing a brand new console to another brand new console. The iPad and the iPhone and the Android phones and Android-based datapads and the Windows phones and the webOS phones and datapads are NOT the gaming powerhouses that even a PSP is, much less a Vita. If they were, we would already be running full-fledged console-based games on our phones and have no need for the DS, PSP, or anything else. Angry Birds, shrunken down EA sports titles, Inspector Gadget, Oregon Trail, and a bunch of other basic side scrollers or ultra-basic RPGs is for the phones and datapads. Games like Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, the God of War series, the Dissidia series, and even PSOne titles like Parasite Eve and Xenogears are games meant to be played on a console dedicated to more hardcore gaming. Competition? Not really, unless Sony is trying to cajole all the Angry Birds-type of gamers of spring for a Vita.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
History is not repeating itself, the Vita has had a far more successful launch than the PSP. Better games as well.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

I am talking about the PSP and Vita solely as handheld consoles, the hype of Vita is to me showing similar signs what the PSP had when it first launched, the ambitious hardware, however over the PSP console lifetime the software was handled properly by Sony.

Do people get the impression that Vita has a possibility of heading in the same direction and what can Sony do to prevent this from happening?

godfather_1

The Vita needs a lot of software that people want to play. The PSP is a great system. The software was not as great as the system though. They just have to be way more aggressive with the software and applications for the PSV.