Anyone remember when the PS Store was actually good..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Anyone remember this? 

store

Remember when you could get in and out of the store within a second? Now it seems like you are loading a game every time you open it.
Remember when you could navigate the darn thing without having to wait an eternity? 
Remember when it was actually clear to read and discern what was on the page?
Remember when typing didn't require the use of that ridiculous scroll down letter list?
Remember when you could check your messages whilst in store and access the XMB? Now it functions like a game, where you must first quit.

Seriously, why did they butcher the store? I'm probably very late with this, but this is the first time I've used the store for more than a minute or so in around a year. Here's hoping the PS4 store isn't so awful and tedious.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I miss the old store as well...but I got over it as this new store has been around awhile. Some Xbox fans did complain about the old PSN store all generation, but owning the 360 I never understood as I could navigate both stores very well. Sony decided to get huge spots for advertising and appease those multiplatform/Xbox owners that wanted an interface more to their liking.

The only advantage I noticed with the new PSN store was the trailers are easy to load...I wish we had the option to go back. :(

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I never liked the psn store. It's like a seperate app. Wish it was more like Xbox and more built into the OS. I hope ps4s OS/UI is much better than ps3s
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dont like the psn store either.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Yep the store sucks but I got over it. I just hate the load times.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I'm indifferent; I didn't think either store, past or present, was/is particularly strong.

Sony better up its game in regards to the PS Store on PS4 because the current store just wouldn't do on a new system.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

I use the Web based one for browsing and purchaces and just use the Download bit on the PS3 Store.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/main

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
it was never good. it was better than the trash it is now, but to say it was good is a bit of a stretch
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I liked how it was before how it currently is.  It was an easy to use and clean interface without a bunch of squares to look like a tablet interface.  Now it just takes forever to do anything on it and sometimes pages don't load so you have to go back a few pages just to go back to the page you want.  I'm getting used to it but still not liking it.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Asim90

I use the Web based one for browsing and purchaces and just use the Download bit on the PS3 Store.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/main

muffin200

That is a fantastic idea! I shall do that from now on, thanks for the suggestion!

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
They are trying to do way too much with it and the machine wasn't built to handle it. No joke, this is one of the top reasons I want a PS4.
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

It's wierd, PS3 is the only console I know of to keep getting worse due to updates. Somehow even after all the changes for the worse though it's still the best console of the gen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidTy

It's wierd, PS3 is the only console I know of to keep getting worse due to updates. Somehow even after all the changes for the worse though it's still the best console of the gen.

Naylord

No, I can tell you it's not the only console that is getting worse Due to Updates. These days when I turn on my two 360s, it takes awhile to load. It didn't use to take as long (You can clear the cache, but that doesn't fix the problem). The loading circle when you turn on the machine, this was discussed pretty heavily in the 360 forums, and on youtube. The more game saves and XBLA games you own, the longer it may take. You can see complaints across the board for both machines due to updates.

The reality is these companies are adding too much to these machines late generation, and it's showing. These machines were made for as much as they are throwing on it to get more advertising, more features, etc.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Asim90

[QUOTE="Naylord"]

SolidTy

The reality is these companies are adding too much to these machines late generation, and it's showing. 

This is true. However, surely it isn't that difficult to optimise an online store? I mean.. surely the PS3 is powerful enough for that. They simply need to streamline it and return it back to its original layout. It is far too cluttered and bloated right now. The funny thing is that navigation was actually quicker back then. They simply do not know how to organise it and make it efficient. 

It appears as though they completed altered the infrastructure behind it. It seems to function like a third party application now as opposed to being built into the XMB like it was before. They literally achieved nothing

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Naylord"]

Asim90

No, I can tell you it's not the only console that is getting worse Due to Updates. These days when I turn on my two 360s, it takes awhile to load. It didn't use to take as long (You can clear the cache, but that doesn't fix the problem). The loading circle when you turn on the machine, this was discussed pretty heavily in the 360 forums, and on youtube. The more game saves and XBLA games you own, the longer it may take. You can see complaints across the board for both machines due to updates.

The reality is these companies are adding too much to these machines late generation, and it's showing. These machines were made for as much as they are throwing on it to get more advertising, more features, etc.

This is true. However, surely it isn't that difficult to optimise an online store? I mean.. surely the PS3 is powerful enough for that. They simply need to streamline it and return it back to its original layout. It is far too cluttered and bloated right now. The funny thing is that navigation was actually quicker back then. They simply do not know how to organise it and make it efficient. 

It appears as though they completed altered the infrastructure behind it. It seems to function like a third party application now as opposed to being built into the XMB like it was before. They literally achieved nothing

I'm not defending the online store, as I said before at the top of the page I don't like the new store.

I already said the exact same things you are saying today when the changed the store. Same things. I was only explaining why it's happening. In this case, Sony can advertise better with the new store, but at the cost of us waiting to load in like a game.I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#16 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I hate how it looks now too.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
I do all my PSN shopping on my computer and simply send it to my PS3. Won't have to deal with the clunky UI and speed with the browser version...well, not as bad as the console version anyway.
PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

I miss the old store as well...but I got over it as this new store has been around awhile. Some Xbox fans did complain about the old PSN store all generation, but owning the 360 I never understood as I could navigate both stores very well. Sony decided to get huge spots for advertising and appease those multiplatform/Xbox owners that wanted an interface more to their liking.

The only advantage I noticed with the new PSN store was the trailers are easy to load...I wish we had the option to go back. :(

SolidTy
I just wish they would add some more ps1 classics, would be awesome if they added lunar or lunar 2
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I didn't like either store but i get what your coming from, funny how they update their store and it's worse, i mean really do i need to hear a stupid computer noise each time i leave and how hard is it to just download a demo, the only good thing i think it's a bit easier to get to the demo's but still it's pretty bad. 

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yeah....those where the days, It wasn't exactly great but compared to now....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I agree and I really hope they do something about it with the PS4 and don't just keep it the same.  It's an ungodly mess compared to what it once was.  Who the heck comes up with these god awful ideas?

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i dont remember it ever being good. but it was definatly better before than it is now.
Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

older one was wayyyy better. I can't stand going into the new store.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ye, not only did the old store look better, it ran much much better as well. wtf sony.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14823 Posts

I remembered a time where PSN liked my money. Now it's "unable to add funds to your wallet". Just lovely.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I remembered a time where PSN liked my money. Now it's "unable to add funds to your wallet". Just lovely.

SOedipus
Go to the PSN store from a web browser.
vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

I think the biggest mistake the ps3 ever made was the fact they only had 256mb of ram. This was such a  bottleneck for the system.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidTy

I think the biggest mistake the ps3 ever made was the fact they only had 256mb of ram. This was such a  bottleneck for the system.

vpacalypse

If it makes you feel better, the PS3 actually has 512 MB of RAM.

This issue gets confusing because Sony gave half to the Cell CPU and half the RAM to the GPU. It wasn't unified. There was a lot of discussions on this from 2006-2008, and finally when I thought everyone knew, I ran across this post today. :P

I can see where you are going, you mean that their biggest mistake was not having 512MB of RAM pooled together and shared in a unified manner.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vpacalypse

[QUOTE="vpacalypse"]

SolidTy

This issue gets confusing because Sony gave half to the Cell CPU and half the RAM to the GPU. It wasn't unified. There was a lot of discussions on this from 2006-2008, and finally when I thought everyone knew, I ran across this post today. :P

I can see where you are going, you mean that their biggest mistake was not having 512MB of RAM pooled together and shared in a unified manner.

That's my mistake. I always thought the menu system/ online store suffered from being slow due to the low amount of ram. What difference does pooling it together btw? Why didn't they pool it together... maybe giving more room for the cell processor to maneuver.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="vpacalypse"]

vpacalypse

That's my mistake. I always thought the menu system/ online store suffered from being slow due to the low amount of ram. What difference does pooling it together btw? Why didn't they pool it together... maybe giving more room for the cell processor to maneuver.

The OS being slow wasn't due to the low amount of RAM, it was slow due to the low amount of RAM set ASIDE for the OS. More RAM goes to devs than on the competition console. This allows for some beautiful exclusives (MGS4, GOWIII, Uncharted 2/3, The Last of Us, Killzone 2/3, etc), but it also prevents Party chat.

It can be confusing. Both the 360 and PS3 have 512MB of RAM, but they handle it differently, and more importantly Sony set less RAM aside in the very beginning for their OS and gave more to the studios.

To give you another example, the PS3 could have had 1GB of RAM, double that of PS3, but if not enough RAM is set aside for the OS, you still would have had the same problems.

Another thing to consider is the PS3 had more expensive types of RAM in the PS3 vs. the competition, and they even found a way to link the CELL and GPU RAM together, but it was a lot of work. Ultimately, they didn't pool it, but for PS4 they are pooling the RAM.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vpacalypse
In that case, I'm glad more was set aside for the games instead of the OS. Menu systems are only a small hindrance... It's the game which shouldn't be sacrificed.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14823 Posts
[QUOTE="SOedipus"]

dalger21
Go to the PSN store from a web browser.

That didn't work either. Yesterday, for sh1tz and giggles I decided to put a space at the end of my city's name on the billing address and that worked.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#33 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I thought I'd get used to it, but I still don't like it. I never thought the previous version was amazing, but this version is annoying to navigate what with the crappy search function and how slowly it runs.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
I just recently bought a ps3 and I can say the store feels a little.....slow on my end I dont know it could feel more fluid or dynamic instead it's pretty boring
NERigby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NERigby
Member since 2013 • -5 Posts
Yeah, the loading time is ridiculous now. I barely ever used the PS Store, but I've been spending more and more time there (and not just because of how slow it is) since I discovered that you can buy old PS and PS2 games. I think I'll be spending a lot of money in the coming months... Honestly, I've no idea why they changed it, but I'm not going to let it dampen my enjoyment of the PS3 as a console.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I miss it myself. The new look isn't bad but I think I like the old PS Store better. Didn't take forever to load and really it's just better.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I also miss the old PSN store. :(