Anyone here connecting PS2 to monitor/HDTV?

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

I recently gave my old PS2 a spring cleaning and it seemed as if it recognized its old master and sprang up to action. After firing up DMC 1, Jak III, Ratchet and Clank and Shadow of the Colossus (I can't explain you fellow gamers the joyful nostalgia I felt) , I am considering to at least put it in a more respectable place by taking it out from the nondescript cupboard it was housed in. But I no more have a SDTV to connect it and with the A/V cables originally supplied with the PS2, the image is looking severely watered down on the HDTV . Is this normal?

I have a Bravia HDTV with 2 HDTV ports, one taken up by the PS4 and one left . I also have a AOC monitor with VGA and HDMI ports. It has one HDMI and the VGA port vacant (one HDMI port used up by my PC).

My question is is there a way to connect the PS2 with the HDTV NOT compromising the picture quality? I have a notion the Monitor and the Bravia are made for higher resolution and thus the eyesore occurs when a PS2 is connected to them.

But are any adapters available to upscale the PS2 output or downscale the HDTV/Monitor input capacity so that the PS2 games look normal on these ?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Moved to PS forum

You'll get better help here =)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You need one of these:

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serioussamik

@PredatorRules- Thanks a lot! :)

@raugutcon- Thanks indeed! I just searched Amazon.com and these come at (AV2 HDMI ) comes at $12-15. Would this device upscale/downscale the image appropriately?

Thanks again man, seems almost close to the solution , I was not aware of this converter.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Serioussamik: I always had my PS2 connected to an HDTV since launch 2000...the PS2 was the first console to support component video. I never used the regular AV cables that came with my PS2s (I have about 4 of them).

Then again, I was an early adopter of HDTVs.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raugutcon

@Serioussamik said:

@PredatorRules- Thanks a lot! :)

@raugutcon- Thanks indeed! I just searched Amazon.com and these come at (AV2 HDMI ) comes at $12-15. Would this device upscale/downscale the image appropriately?

Thanks again man, seems almost close to the solution , I was not aware of this converter.

It upscales the image, don´t except to be true full HDMI, but it looks a lot better than without it, it´s usb powered so you'll need a usb adapter ( the unit comes with the mini USB cable ). I do still own a 29" CRT TV but you will agree that it´s not the same 29" than 40" so I have one of those converters for my retro consoles ( PS2. PS1, N64. GC, Wii ), all plugged into one a multiswitch and that one to the converter, the HDMI cable then goes to a HDMI multiswitch too.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy

@Serioussamik:

raugutcon said:

You need one of these:

Actually, that's only using the basic, lowest quality AV cables from the PS2, so he would get a much better connection with PS2 component video cables.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serioussamik

@raugutcon adn @SolidTy : Thanks for the help guys! :)

Finally got one of this:

Just adding a small feedback:

• It is kinda tighter I than would like in fitting the AV-out of PS2 , but not overly so (then again this is a generic cable).
  • Works only with the Y PB Pr mode enabled from PS2 system config.
  • Picture quality is way better with much cleaner and less muddier graphics in even older PS2 games! Actually graphics look crisper than they ever did with the AV cable and SD TV.
  • Also works with my PS3 , but I would rate the PS3 HDMI cable above this.
raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 raugutcon

@Serioussamik: I didn´t go the composite cable way for my AV output consoles, my screen only has the classic yellow/ white /red inputs, using a component cable was not going to help in anything, for me the AV to HDMI upscaler was the way to go, that´s why I suggested it to you.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTy

@raugutcon said:

@Serioussamik: I didn´t go the composite cable way for my AV output consoles, my screen only has the classic yellow/ white /red inputs, using a component cable was not going to help in anything, for me the AV to HDMI upscaler was the way to go, that´s why I suggested it to you.

Your individual TV AV input problem is not universal and anecdotal. The component was always going to give a much better picture than AV.

You yourself could have component quality even with the lower end TV/monitor you are shoehorning in with the PS2. It's true you have buy a component to HDMI upscaler (in the same price range as the AV one). That's what you should have bought back then instead of settling for that lower end AV to HDMI device which I would avoid like the plague for anyone serious about improving the quality of the PS2 (not to mention the huge benefit to DVDs too). It also works of course with DVD players, Gamecube, Xbox, etc.

You can also see in this thread the user tried my advice and it paid off big time. That's because I already performed these AV, S-Video, Component, and HDMI tests over a decade ago. In the PS2's case, we are now at the 15 year mark (PS2 released in 2000, when I got it at launch for $299).

Component to HDTV upscaler. MUCH better quality than low end AV.
Component to HDTV upscaler. MUCH better quality than low end AV.

I never used AV cables since 2000 with the PS2 because I had HDTVs back then and the PS2 was the first console to support high end component video cables. You can see also by the excitement of the user that my advice rung true and helped him greatly. Which I already knew because I follow electronics a great deal.

Heck, an S-Video to HDMI upscaler would be way better than low end AV to HDMI.

A component to HDMI upscaler would be best, but lower quality AV to HDMI is only a marginal improvement over AV. The PS2 is outputting much more and you are losing that quality by inserting an AV cable into the PS2 in the first place. If your lower end HDTV doesn't have a lot of support or options, then you have no choice, but there is a better way to go. I would even recommend you look into S-Video to HDMI or component video to HDMI because you will see a huge improvement over regular old low end AV.

All you have to do is go buy Component video upscaler and buy an additional component video cable for the PS2. That will cost you a few dollars buying component cables, but if you don't, you are leaving a much better picture behind. Same principles apply if you own a retro Gamecube and Xbox, which I also own and all have component like my PS2. The other option is buying a higher quality HDTV with the proper inputs (that's what I have). If you get too thrifty with TVs and later with HDMI upscalers, a LOT of visual quality is left behind.

Recommending AV anything is definitely not sound advice to give though generally for users looking to get a better or best picture. What you did was find a minor and cheap solution that offered a tiny and somewhat improved picture, but with money spent the right way (buying the right upscaler the first time and buying component cables for your consoles), you could be getting a much, much, much better picture than you currently have for your PS2 (and presumably your other consoles that support component).

@Serioussamik said:

@raugutcon adn @SolidTy : Thanks for the help guys! :)

Finally got one of this:

Just adding a small feedback:

• It is kinda tighter I than would like in fitting the AV-out of PS2 , but not overly so (then again this is a generic cable).
  • Works only with the Y PB Pr mode enabled from PS2 system config.
  • Picture quality is way better with much cleaner and less muddier graphics in even older PS2 games! Actually graphics look crisper than they ever did with the AV cable and SD TV.
  • Also works with my PS3 , but I would rate the PS3 HDMI cable above this.

The component video cable gives a much butter picture than the AV upscaler because in the end, it's just low resolution AV. The PS2 is capable of much more. I'm glad Serioussamik, that read my post and got the right solution.

I can see you are already seeing the benefits of component video as you seem excited. I also am thankful you posted the results so others here reading may learn a thing or two. I know we have lurkers that wonder about these things.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

I have a Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma set, when I had my PS2 connected, I used my PS3 Component Cables and they worked perfectly fine. Not the greatest visuals but gets the job done, imo. You can use any Component cables as long as its compatible with the PS2.