Anyone else is disappointed at the PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

When I first bought a psp, I thought I'd be able to put video in easily, listen to music, go on the internet,etc,etc.

But everytime I try something, I find myself being limited because the firmware sony puts is too limited.

I can't browse many website,VERY limited cache, outdated flash player and java.

I have to convert every kind of video/music to put on my psp, annoying and time-consuming.

I can barely run any program...very annoying.(I'm a programmer)

The more I use my psp, the more I see why people get acustom firmware because let's look at the fact, they do a better job than sony.

I'm very disappointed at the psp, it had ALOT of potential

joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
ya...the psp internet is poor. Video and music is fine for me. And also CW ftw!
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

ya...the psp internet is poor. Video and music is fine for me. And also CW ftw!joeychew

Yeah serioulsy, what's the point?

What's the point of putting internet connection with a browser that can't browse 3/4 of the websites?

What's the point of only supporting ONE type of music files?

There is no point, sony should really stop slacking off.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
My PSP supports WMA,MP3 and AAC files but that is because of the system updates other than that I never use the multi-media functions because I have a I-Pod video I just play games on my PSP and enjoy doing so
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

[QUOTE="joeychew"]ya...the psp internet is poor. Video and music is fine for me. And also CW ftw!Sliverwarrior

What's the point of putting internet connection with a browser that can't browse 3/4 of the websites?

I agree sony needs to stop slacking off.

Although my biggest pet peeve with the PsP is 08 looks like a dry year for psp gamers (except maybe like 3 games),other than that I love the psp.

remzeus21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 remzeus21
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
Im not dissapointed in my PSP cause its main function is to play games which i am using it at.
Heretix_Aevum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heretix_Aevum
Member since 2005 • 4105 Posts

My PSP supports WMA,MP3 and AAC files but that is because of the system updates other than that I never use the multi-media functions because I have a I-Pod video I just play games on my PSP and enjoy doing sojasonharris48

Yeah true. BTW I love ur sig mate, its very true.

Heretix_Aevum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heretix_Aevum

Well I got my PSP on the SEP 05 launch here in AUS, and I paid $400AU for the value pack (no games, I had to wait like a month for enough cash to buy a game, which was the longest month in my life). I had a DS for 6 months b4 i had the PSP but I was sick of it VERY quickly so i sold it for the PSP money. Once again, I was sorely dissapointed at portable gaming. The graphics weren't as good as the PS2 (which everyone was saying they were- what a lie), and the gameplay was watered down in 90% of the ports.

For portable it was pretty good, but when ur used to consoles, it just doesn't cut it. The PSP was pretty useless for me, as when I played it in the car, I got motion sickness, and the when using the screen outside, you can't see jack ****. I was only playing the PSP at home on the couch, and the only two games that really impressed me were GTA LCS, and GTA VCS, which are also on PS2. So after two years of being dissapointed of the PSP titles, and I sold it to a friend who seems to apreciate it more than I do, and used the money to buy a slimline PS2 and the GTA trilogy, which I love. I was pretty disaponted by the PSP, basically because it didn't live up to the hype of being "graphically equal to the PS2 but portable". The PSP was DEFINITELY over hyped in many ways.

With the internet, I absolutely agree, it really is pretty pathetic, for two reasons.

a. most sites don't work and there is no java.

b. if you have a wireless router (which u need to access the net on the PSP) then why not just use a laptop with wireless instead of the PSP? pretty dumb.

I didn't have any problem with playing music on the PSP, infact it was the only thing that seemed to work properlly.

Loading programs/games onto the PSP was a big pain, and it was impracticle, and didn't seem to work.

Over all the PSP was a big let down, which never ever lived up to the expectations I had in mind when I bought it. when i saw that PSP at EB, when i had my DS, I remember thinking that the DS is crap compared to this, but the PSP wasn't that much better. I think that portable gaming is a let down in itself.

I don't think I'll be indulging back into portable gaming fora few generations,I'll stick to consoles for now, always have, and I've never felt let down or dissapointed, consoles are what gaming is supposed to be, and are, and will be for a long time.

Over all I was let down by the PSP like you, but I moved on, and now I'm not a handheld gamer anymore, so now I don't waste money on watered down games with mediocre graphics and gameplay.

The PSP was hyped up by sony to be just as good as the big sister "the PS2", and in some ways it was better, and the core gaming experience (the most important bit- music, internet etc are bonuses) didn't fail, I would give it a C minus, only because the graphics were good, but nowhere near as good as expected; but over all it was dissapointing, and for me (just like DS) was a letdown.... the only thing I miss about the PSP was being able to say " I own a PSP"... LOL that was sorta cool.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

"....(I'm a programmer)"

LOL, you bought a psp to surf the web... Well, being that you are somewhat educated... please research the product next time before buying. THis goes for everything.... You get a D- for this thread.

Heretix_Aevum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heretix_Aevum

"....(I'm a programmer)"

LOL, you bought a psp to surf the web... Well, being that you are somewhat educated... please research the product next time before buying. THis goes for everything.... You get a D- for this thread.

gamenux

LOL I give him an F minus...

but I doubt he bought it for net, everyone buys the PSP for gaming, but the net capabilities are poor/ dissapointing.

dragonseer439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dragonseer439
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts

People are dissapointed because of the internet functionality? It's a games machine, with music and video - internet is an afterthought. Is it any worse than on mobile phones?

Anyway I decided to get a PSP after I saw Tekken DR running at a booth in Tokyo. That game is not a 'watered down' port at all. The PSP is great if you travel a lot, or commute on a train or something. If you like retro collections (like Metal Slug) or RPG's then the PSP is fantastic, I just got Valkyrie Profile Lenneth for an upcoming overseas trip. If you have a PS3 then there are a lot of great Playstation 1 games that will run on it. I plan to get a 8 GB memory stick, and get King of Fighters 98, R-types and R-type Delta from the Japanese PSN. Castlevania, Wipeout, Final Fantasy Tactics - there are plenty of great games for it. But the person who started this thread didn't even mention games! Get custom firmware if you are a programmer and you want to fiddle with it, run emulators, etc.

joshsta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 joshsta7
Member since 2007 • 280 Posts
I hate converting videos!! It's just a waste of time!
robobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 robobie
Member since 2007 • 2172 Posts
omg...! my psp works perfectly with everything..! i have 5 videos,27 music tracks,god only knows how many pictures, and 12 game demos..! and i use my psp's internet the whole time..! i have no reason to complain..!
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
the psp has a 333mhz cpu and 32 mbs ram what did u think u could do with it? plus its under clocked by 111mhz lol.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
psp wifi is primarly for multiplayer only. If i want to surt the internet, i use my Iphone, surfing the internet is fine if not as good as a laptop.
moptopskate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 moptopskate
Member since 2004 • 2362 Posts

[QUOTE="joeychew"]ya...the psp internet is poor. Video and music is fine for me. And also CW ftw!Sliverwarrior

well, you shouldnt of bought it. Anyone with common sense shouldve predicted that it wasnt going to be that great for music and videos. Obviously the PSP was going to be all about games. Go buy an ipod if you want that stuff.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

I only use it to play games.... Don't care about watching movies on it, and I already own an Ipod and a PC.

Sc0rp1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sc0rp1on
Member since 2005 • 8470 Posts
Personally I have no complains about it. Everything functions well and is quite easy to input files as long as you read carefully. Also what do you mean it only plays mp3's? As far as I know it plays WMA as well. It's a gaming machine and that's what it does best. Everything else for me is just a plus.