Anyone else always agree with reviewers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

video games and movies. it seems everyone else hates reviewers.

krayzieE99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 krayzieE99
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts
sometimes i agree and sometimes i dont. i make my own decisions. just because someone doesnt like it, doesnt mean i wont either.
lucarocks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 lucarocks1
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts
Not always, no. Generally they usually have the right idea but can also be way off ( IGN God Hand )
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I listen to what they have to say "BUT" ultimately I will come to my own conclusion....sometimes we are on the same page....sometimes we are not.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Reviews are opinions if everyone had the same opinion wouldn't it be a fact?
7ojistix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 7ojistix
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Hell no. Reviews are just opinions and opinions differ.

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

The only reviews that matter to me ARE MY REVIEWS

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Giant Bomb is the only site I trust.

And no I was not paid to say that..............

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The only reviews that matter to me ARE MY REVIEWS

hkymike

I bet nobody every accused you of being open minded!? :P.....just joking mike!!!:P

zideeq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 zideeq
Member since 2003 • 113 Posts

about 7-8 times out of ten I agree with REVIEWS

I didn't agree with the following games listed as reviewd by GS:

-Sonic Adventure 2 (MUSIC WAS AWESOME and it suited the game well and I HATE ROCK, JROCK and MAINSTREAM POP!!!)

-Headhunter (Dreamcast or PS2) (this game was immersive as any 3rd person I've ever played!! the final boss is COOL)

-Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn, GS made no review!!!!) (this game is Streets of rage plus a bit of RPG style story! CLASSIC!)

-Gaiares (Genesis, Sega Megadrive) (this game had the best music if not THE best music of any megadrive game!)

That's enough...

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

I don't hate reviewers because I don't follow them.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Usually if you go by METACRITIC AVERAGE the reviews are 99% accurate in grading terrible games 80 I've never played God Hand, but the fact IGN gives it a 3.0 and Gamespot gives it a 8.0 gives us an extreme example of why you can't just go on reviews. Really though if these critics were "professional" in their analysis they shouldn't be THAT far apart. However not all reviewers are competent or unbiased. That's why if you are going to look at reviews you should look more at metacritic, and also USER reviews for what the players specific complaints are. Where it's difficult to judge is when the game is critically reviewed between 5 and 7.9 which is where most people put "mediocre" games. Sometimes I can enjoy mediocre games despite the flaws that make them mediocre (particularly if the game is original), other times I look at them like WTF were they thinking even being that generous in their reviews.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I sometimes agree.

There are some things in a review that seems biased or unfair or poorly written, but I look at them because they usually give me an overview of the game I'm looking at, and it's a big help.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

anime_gamer007
co-sign. well i trust some other reviewers like justin macelroy, and few select others.. but i have to really know who the reviewer is to trust the review.
pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
I always trust certain reviewers, like Kevin. Every single time I didn't listen to him, I got screwed. When it comes to reviewers I don't know or trust, I check out GameRankings/Metacritics.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#16 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I don't always agree with Gamespot's reviewers but I usually do, even when most people don't like when Tools of Destruction got a 7.5, I thought that was a great score for it, or possibly a little too nice actually.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I trust most of Gamespot's reviews, of course, they ocassionally get some wrong imo

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts

I listen to what they have to say "BUT" ultimately I will come to my own conclusion....sometimes we are on the same page....sometimes we are not.

MarcRecon
Yes this.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Nope, for example, Demon's Souls got a 9 here, its a 5 at best for me. All these opinions are opinions. :)

Starchild07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Starchild07
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I always think for myself. I take reviews into consideration and that's it.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I make my own mind... but if many reviewers agree on something then i be more careful
Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts
Usually if you go by METACRITIC AVERAGE the reviews are 99% accurate in grading terrible games 80 I've never played God Hand, but the fact IGN gives it a 3.0 and Gamespot gives it a 8.0 gives us an extreme example of why you can't just go on reviews. Really though if these critics were "professional" in their analysis they shouldn't be THAT far apart. However not all reviewers are competent or unbiased. That's why if you are going to look at reviews you should look more at metacritic, and also USER reviews for what the players specific complaints are. Where it's difficult to judge is when the game is critically reviewed between 5 and 7.9 which is where most people put "mediocre" games. Sometimes I can enjoy mediocre games despite the flaws that make them mediocre (particularly if the game is original), other times I look at them like WTF were they thinking even being that generous in their reviews.2Chalupas
i primarily use metacritic, its very reliable
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

If it's a bad one, consistent across the net with the same issues (such as glitches, game breaking issues ect). Then yes. If five or six say the same, then I'll take their word for it based on past experience with similar issues.

But ultimately, it's comes down to what I decide.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I agree with the Gamespot reviews (+/- .5 points) about one-third of the time, we're "in the ballpark" (+/- 1.5 points) one-third of the time, and we're WAY different about one-third of the time. I usually disagree with them the most when it comes to big-name franchise titles: they give them the usual fanboy high-five, while I am far more critical.

I actually have a little more faith in Gamespot's reviews than some other sites. They're a bit more critical, and if I'm going to spend sixty bucks on something I darned sure want all the negatives pointed out to me before I spend my money.

Bottom line: If a game looks interesting to me, there's a very good chance that I'll enjoy it no matter what sort of mediocre score the critics give it. If a game doesn't look like something I'd enjoy, all the 9's and 10's in the world aren't going to get me to waste my hard-earned money on it. I've made that mistake enough times in the past, thank you very much! :P

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

they are not as awesome as me

CanderD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CanderD
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

I put a lot of faith in game reviews. Of course they aren't always on point, but most of the time they are. For example, I loved White Knight Chronicles, but most reviews said it was mediocre at best. Then again, I had the hardest time believing that a Metroid game could be "meh" and that's exactly what Other M was, pretty disappointed... Ultimately, reviewers are people too and they are going to have their own likes and dislikes, but if you get 10 similar scores from different reviewers, thenthe gameprobably deserves that score. Now, movie reviews,I don't even bother reading.

FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 FireFox67
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

I usually agree with the reviews here and at GT, but I decide if I want to buy it or not, I just look at reviews to have a general idea of the problems and the good things about the game in question.

GKinnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 GKinnel
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts
Sometimes I agree, sometimes no. For the most part, I haven't been agreeing with game reviewers. Especially with Castlevania: LOS.
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

sometimes i agree and sometimes i dont. i make my own decisions. just because someone doesnt like it, doesnt mean i wont either.krayzieE99

Pretty much this. Just because the masses don't like something, doesn't mean that I won't.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I only agree with what I believe in when it comes to video games.

Darkaned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darkaned
Member since 2010 • 133 Posts

i prefer gamerankings.com

It give a idea of the quality of the game, since it has many reviewes listed, and not just one.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I never agree with movie reviewers because I really find almost any movie entertaining to watch. Game reviewers are easier to agree with, but at the same time, I don't get upset over a lot of what they complain about in games.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

anime_gamer007
Does your heart belong to it? Anyway, it's impossible to ALWAYS agree with someone, but for the most part, I can see where they're coming from with Gamespot reviews and arguing about scores is dumb. What counts in a review is the text and depending on how much someone is bothered by specific weaknesses of a game can vastly change how much they enjoy it.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I never rely on reviews to tell me how fun something is, but I pay close attention to technical aspects because the majority of those arn't opinion and are worth knowing. Like Solid_Tango, I'm more prone to listen when many reviews come to the same conclusion.
sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

Yes, we always agree with the reviewers, why, if not for the net, well, I would not have any opinions..... I mean, heck, all I do is work so that someone else can tell me what to spend my cash on...... now tell me what to buy, just give it a score of 8 + .....;)