Any REAL game Tester jobs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Valknyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Valknyr
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I mean a REAL game tester job. One thru the company of the game? Just wanting to see if there are any out there. I have been look and havent had any luck.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Yeah, you can try Blizzard. Keep in mind, though, that you need excellent written and verbal skills for this kind of job. Game testing isn't always that easy, and usually you have to demonstrating your skills by writing an analysis of a game or something along those lines. Either way, you'll do a lot of writing. Also, if someone can do the job better than you, it's likely that they'll take the spot. Good luck with it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Are you really sure it's a job you want? From everything I've heard game testing will make you regret ever having liked video games in the first place.

Avatar image for ArsenalandHenry
ArsenalandHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArsenalandHenry
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
On the one side, it sounds like the best job in the world. But just like any job, you can get bored of it. You won't be able to look at games the same way anymore whilst you wouldn't want to play games at home either as you are technically "bringing your work home with you".
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
its not a job you can get just by wanting it. you will often need to have some kind of a technical degree.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
but if you're serious and live in northern cali, telltale has a tester position listed.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts
Most game testers are hired by temp companies. Its almost never a permanent position plus from what i hear its bar pay and a lot of work. Its not a bunch of people sitting around eating chips drinking soda. Its usually you in a cubicle alone for 10 hrs a day playing a game you have never heard of filled with bugs and writing complete analysis on them. Its not like youre gonna be playing a full finished copy of something.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah it's funny how many gamers think they can jump sit on a sofa and play games all day, you need massive reports to be handed in detailing as detailed as possible every little bug and niggle you find... Hence the laziness of some games being released with huge bugs that no tester should ever have missed... No bugs means no paperwork and to be honest the pay aint great and you play games you might not like such as "Barbies World of Pink" or "Mr Tiddles Day out" so it's now what you may have it hyped up to be where you play new unreleased CoD and then say "Textures need work" and then go head back on it.
Viddo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Viddo
Member since 2011 • 83 Posts

I don't know much in this topic, but from whatI've researched its pretty bad pay (over in england its around max £15,000 a year) and normally work normal hours, but most often work overtime for long, unsocial hours just to meet deadlines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Yup and don't take that crappy show called The Tester as a good example of games testing. Because it's not.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Na, everyone think its like Grandma's boy where they are all partying all day. Fact is all of the jobs are temporary (once the game is out, you get fired or laid off) plus the pay is around 10 bucks an hour MAX. And here in NYC thats not a lot of money.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
I know someone who did testing on GTAIV, from what i heard its not a job anyone would want! He had to run into walls for 9 hours a day!
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Not a job id want to do. You test out part of a level in a game, make a detailed list of all the bugs you come across. Send it to the dev team, they send you back another version with updates to those bugs. You run through and test it again. Repeat over and over. You'll be playing the exact same thing over and over and over.