Any Pro PS3 critic's or write ups?????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 Sycosi
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

Like many others in the UK I've pre-ordered the PS3 but I must say that I'm becoming more and more jaded with the PS3.

I've read numerous links to independant sites that have write ups or critic's from game developers that don't really support the PS3's future or prowess. The 'now' issue of a lack of BC games and the higher price tag coupled with the negative stream of bad press from game developers is making me doubt whether I should buy the console.

My personal belief is that Sony have been somewhat arrogant with the EURO/AUS market and its new console, delays, price etc. However I'd like to make a balanced choice/opinion. Can anyone post any links to the 'PRO' aspects of the console by developers, IT researchers etc. 

I'd like to own all 3 platforms and don't really have a favorite so would like to ignore negative bias press where possible. Any links would be great!!!

ThreEve69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ThreEve69
Member since 2005 • 223 Posts
people are just against them because of their success in the past, it doesn't really mean that they have problems.  people have been doing the same thing to wal-mart, but they will continue to do well
Avatar image for MASTERCHIEFUSMA
MASTERCHIEFUSMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 MASTERCHIEFUSMA
Member since 2003 • 229 Posts
Well i can give you a personal opionion:

Ive played all 3 systems and own two of them PS3 being the one i do not own, i was very unimpressed with the selection of games and most of all the price tag

But dont get me wrong the system has potential but developers dont wana make games for ps3 for numerous reasons:
The Developer software is terrible from what developers have said, the price tag scares alot of people off and companies dont want to make games for a system no one owns (we all know people buy them but there could be more) and frankly some people are just fed up with Sony. Im not an MS fanboy and im not knocking the PS3, im just sayin it needs more time to fully develop its self into a good and in my eyes purchaseable system. But by the time it catches up it might be too late and sorry to say Sony might be #3 in the Console Wars
killfooler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 killfooler
Member since 2004 • 499 Posts
I was very disappointed with PS3 when I got it at launch but Sony has shown that they are INDEED listening to their customers and making changes to become more relevant to gamers.  The leaked news from GDC has restored my hope that Sony will be a huge contender and even system war winner at the end of it's life cycle.  Playstation home doesn't even have to be as robust as Live, it just needs to be fun and intuitive.  I think they can pull it off and if you're limited to purchasing only ONE system this go around, my money's on Sony right now.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Like many others in the UK I've pre-ordered the PS3 but I must say that I'm becoming more and more jaded with the PS3.

I've read numerous links to independant sites that have write ups or critic's from game developers that don't really support the PS3's future or prowess. The 'now' issue of a lack of BC games and the higher price tag coupled with the negative stream of bad press from game developers is making me doubt whether I should buy the console.

My personal belief is that Sony have been somewhat arrogant with the EURO/AUS market and its new console, delays, price etc. However I'd like to make a balanced choice/opinion. Can anyone post any links to the 'PRO' aspects of the console by developers, IT researchers etc. 

I'd like to own all 3 platforms and don't really have a favorite so would like to ignore negative bias press where possible. Any links would be great!!!

Sycosi
It's become an issue of exclusivity, at least to me. I too wanted all 3, so waited in line for the 360 and Wii, and recently purchased a PS3. Wait till a MUST HAVE title comes out on PS3 before you buy it. Multiplatform games are as good or better on 360, and the PS3 just doesn't have the software out for it now that warrants the expense. Wait till a big game comes out. No matter what the PROs say, just know that as long as the price is so high, the install base will be limited and a ton of former exclusives will go multiplatfom to ensure that devs get their games in people's systems. Just my 2 cents. I mean, I'm enjoying Tekken 5 which they just made available, but it's just the same old Tekken, and certainly not worth $600.
Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sycosi
[QUOTE="Sycosi"]

donalbane

It's become an issue of exclusivity, at least to me. I too wanted all 3, so waited in line for the 360 and Wii, and recently purchased a PS3. Wait till a MUST HAVE title comes out on PS3 before you buy it. Multiplatform games are as good or better on 360, and the PS3 just doesn't have the software out for it now that warrants the expense. Wait till a big game comes out. No matter what the PROs say, just know that as long as the price is so high, the install base will be limited and a ton of former exclusives will go multiplatfom to ensure that devs get their games in people's systems. Just my 2 cents. I mean, I'm enjoying Tekken 5 which they just made available, but it's just the same old Tekken, and certainly not worth $600.

There in lies my problem. I'm sure as a piece of stand alone hardware its a very impressive bit of kit. however thats a very expensive hardware trophy! I'm sure that most of the 'better' games will be released across the platforms, 360 and PS3 for HD games. Given that aspect why should I opt for the PS3 over my current 360 when buying a game? Unless hugely better. Idealy I'd like to have 360 and Wii exclusives, followed by PS3 titles. I have to ask myself is it worth paying £X for the console and a few games that 'currently' are no better than what the 360 puts out? My gut feeling, again currently, is that the 360 is the better console, more games, features, connectivity, XBL, online gaming that are all running pretty smoothly. I'm worried that my high expectation set by Xbox 360 wont be met by the PS3. Hence the reason I was looking for official unbias reviews/critic's. However the feedback so far has been very interesting and I look forward to read more owner feedback too.

ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

Thanks to the 360's year head start, no one is able to look to the future. With the 360, there was so much anticipation for what's coming next, but for the PS3 every step of the way they're criticized. Gaming media is so anti-PS3 it's rediculous. If you need proof just think about this.

Remember when the number of PS3's went from 2 million to one and the ****storm that followed?
Now they have a great ammount of supply, and get criticized for not selling out of them.

Sony can't win with the media, but it'll be a while till everyone shuts their mouths.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 donalbane

Thanks to the 360's year head start, no one is able to look to the future. With the 360, there was so much anticipation for what's coming next, but for the PS3 every step of the way they're criticized. Gaming media is so anti-PS3 it's rediculous. If you need proof just think about this.

Remember when the number of PS3's went from 2 million to one and the ****storm that followed?
Now they have a great ammount of supply, and get criticized for not selling out of them.

Sony can't win with the media, but it'll be a while till everyone shuts their mouths.

ihatebugers
Don't believe the hype, man... they didn't rise to the production challenge, and there was no shortage to end after Xmas eve... there were units widely available on day one of 2007, and that's not becuase production ramped up, it's because it costs too much to sell as well as Sony would like.
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
[QUOTE="ihatebugers"]

donalbane

Don't believe the hype, man... they didn't rise to the production challenge, and there was no shortage to end after Xmas eve... there were units widely available on day one of 2007, and that's not becuase production ramped up, it's because it costs too much to sell as well as Sony would like.

And do we see any stories that tout Sony's ability to come back after dealing with the initial drop in launch consoles? No.

Correyov31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Correyov31
Member since 2005 • 358 Posts
Keep in mind that the ps3 is only 4 or 5 months old. It is just now getting a proper launch also. In the end though it comes down to preference. There is a reason people like systems like the wii. Nintendo has a bit of nostalgia from it's earlier days, it is cheaper than all other consoles, and it is an underdog. Everyone wants to see it come out on top. Playstation is a powerhouse and people are going to take shots at it. Especially at it's price and it's horrible first launch.
Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gzus666
Member since 2007 • 2304 Posts
everyone says Sony is arrogant, obviously you people dont know too many asians. their culture has a lot of pride instilled into it. its not that they are arrogant, its just that they have a lot of pride in what they make. americans and europeans seem to forget that its a different culture, and take it as arrogance rather than just a proud culture. Sony put up with the same remarks on the PS2, and they were called arrogant, and they said it was too expensive, and they said it was hard to program for, and they said it was going to fail. Sony didnt really lose many exclusives, and how many exclusives are really coming to the box? i see bioshock and mass effect coming, thats all i see. not discounting those games, both could be very good, but Sony has always made the best games from their 1st party studios anyway. UT3 is being made for the PC and PS3 first, then being ported to the 360, so we will see the difference when the shoe is on the other foot. its a matter of the game being optimized for one system, then shoved into the other, its always going to look worse.
chembro84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chembro84
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts
As others have said (and I'll probably get crap for it on these boards) it's a cool system, the hardware is amazing, the software is not there yet. If I was in the UK or anywhere else in Europe, unless I had money to blow, there is no way I'd buy it at the price they are trying to pitch it at. If sales don't do very well in Europe they will have no choice but to lower the price, you should probably wait for that time if you're having doubts about that big of a purchase.
Chien_Rouge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Chien_Rouge
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts
Interestingly, Cnet has a good review of the PS3, especially in comparison to the 360 and wii.  I do not think there are many people out there that would deny the innate advantages of the PS3 over the other systems.  It appears that criticisms arise because of the perception that those advantages are not being utilized.  Any new system is a bit of a gamble.  If the company is established like Sony then it is not as big of a gamble, but it is still one nonetheless.  2007 should see the beginning of the PS3 coming into its own.  However, if for some reason(s) the system falters this year, it may hurt its chances coming out on top of the console struggle.  Yet regardless of what happens the PS3 won't go anywhere, and it will get its fair share (if not more) of great games.  I wish you luck in your attempt to come to a "balanced" decision.         
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="ihatebugers"]

ihatebugers

And do we see any stories that tout Sony's ability to come back after dealing with the initial drop in launch consoles? No.

Come back? What do you mean? All this 'wait for the big announcments' talk is just conjecture at this point. We'll know more tomorrow as to wheather or not the PS3 is going to "come back." I hope the news is solid... I want the PS3 to improve.
Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sycosi

Interestingly, Cnet has a good review of the PS3, especially in comparison to the 360 and wii.  I do not think there are many people out there that would deny the innate advantages of the PS3 over the other systems.  It appears that criticisms arise because of the perception that those advantages are not being utilized.  Any new system is a bit of a gamble.  If the company is established like Sony then it is not as big of a gamble, but it is still one nonetheless.  2007 should see the beginning of the PS3 coming into its own.  However, if for some reason(s) the system falters this year, it may hurt its chances coming out on top of the console struggle.  Yet regardless of what happens the PS3 won't go anywhere, and it will get its fair share (if not more) of great games.  I wish you luck in your attempt to come to a "balanced" decision.         Chien_Rouge

Interesting points. By rights then the PS3 could be interpreted a bit of 'slow burner'? Someone else raised the points about the PS2 having the same negative press and under 'hype' is you will. 120.000.000 units later!? can someone remond me how much the PS2 was when it first came out? I remember the Xbox here was around £300 when it was released. It might help me when making a comparitive.

Avatar image for xcoregamerskill
xcoregamerskill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xcoregamerskill
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
the PS2 was $300 on launch, and while we're talking about exclusives, just remember that it's been announced that bioshock will be available for the PS3.
Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gzus666
Member since 2007 • 2304 Posts
the PS2 was $300 on launch, and while we're talking about exclusives, just remember that it's been announced that bioshock will be available for the PS3.xcoregamerskill
you have a link for that? coulda swore that was exclusive. that game is either gonna be sweet as hell, or a complete dud, i still cant tell cause of the 2 videos ive seen conflict for me
Avatar image for xcoregamerskill
xcoregamerskill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xcoregamerskill
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
a link, no, but there was one once upon a time.
Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sycosi

the PS2 was $300 on launch, and while we're talking about exclusives, just remember that it's been announced that bioshock will be available for the PS3.xcoregamerskill

Was really looking for a UK PS2 original release price. Bioshock looks the sh*t! 

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
Here's some things that lifted my spirits after reading similarly humbling things from the 360 crowd.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html
Lair, which by the way, looks amazing.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4779&Itemid=2
IBM is taking a big step towards developers. Many of them feel that they've been empowered with a far better grasp of the system. I even received the impression that they feel they can take a big leap in physics and AI calculations using the Cell processor's multiple SPE's.

http://gamevortex.com/gamevortex/interview.php/11
Everything Ted Price says is positive. Check out...I think Playb3yond.com. Yes, it's a Playstation site, but Insomniac is a Playstation developer. It should have some interviews that I've actually downloaded over PSN with the developers of Resistance bringing high praise to the Playstation 3's capabilities.

Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sycosi

Here's some things that lifted my spirits after reading similarly humbling things from the 360 crowd.

IBM is taking a big step towards developers. Many of them feel that they've been empowered with a far better grasp of the system. I even received the impression that they feel they can take a big leap in physics and AI calculations using the Cell processor's multiple SPE's.

Everything Ted Price says is positive. Check out...I think Playb3yond.com. Yes, it's a Playstation site, but Insomniac is a Playstation developer. It should have some interviews that I've actually downloaded over PSN with the developers of Resistance bringing high praise to the Playstation 3's capabilities.

Redfingers

Thanks for that, it made very interesting reading. My gut feeling is that certainly the 360 has a definate headstart on the PS3, thats obvious. However the longer term issues, the Cell processor and its ability/capacity, could be a clincher. The PS3's processor power and ability to store more game data due to blu-ray appear to be cut above that the 360 lacks. Of course its going to take a while for the PS3's finer points, games libary-online gaming-functions, to catch up. But the same could have been levelled at the 360 on its release. Certainly it appears as tho the PS3 is a little more 'future proof' than the 360. So given that I've seen both sides of the critical debate am I going to buy a PS3? Well yes. Sony are a HUGE powerhouse of a developer and product creator/seller. They are trying to exploit the fact, to a degree, that they're trying to break a new format, Blu-ray. However that will also benefit the system on a gaming front that the 360 won't be able to match. Having said this I believe that over the next 12 months we could really see what the PS3 is capable of in terms of app's and gaming. As I mentioned earlier I want all 3 platforms and I also want 3 different experiences/choices, which by rights it looks like I will get. Buy or rent the 'exclusives' and choose the best multi-platform when they come out. PS want to win the console war as they have some much depending on it. Going on their past track record there's no reason why they wont this time. I guess only time will tell. Thank for information and advice people.

fastgamer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fastgamer01
Member since 2003 • 692 Posts

[QUOTE="xcoregamerskill"]the PS2 was $300 on launch, and while we're talking about exclusives, just remember that it's been announced that bioshock will be available for the PS3.Sycosi

Was really looking for a UK PS2 original release price. Bioshock looks the sh*t! 

i payed $450 for my first ps2 with gran turismo 3 oh happy days people havea  short memory though has the orignal xbox was only $30 cheaper when it was released? and the 3DO which i bet most people dont know was $1400 they said the ps3 would last ten years which works out to 11p a day as long as its as quiet as everyone says it is im happy as the xbox sounds like a tank im no fan boy i brought a 360 and oblivon the other day which is a good game i just want all 3 consoles to do well maybe not the wii as even kojima said the wii has great features but built with past power and graphics  

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="Redfingers"]Here's some things that lifted my spirits after reading similarly humbling things from the 360 crowd.

Sycosi

Thanks for that, it made very interesting reading. My gut feeling is that certainly the 360 has a definate headstart on the PS3, thats obvious. However the longer term issues, the Cell processor and its ability/capacity, could be a clincher. The PS3's processor power and ability to store more game data due to blu-ray appear to be cut above that the 360 lacks. Of course its going to take a while for the PS3's finer points, games libary-online gaming-functions, to catch up. But the same could have been levelled at the 360 on its release. Certainly it appears as tho the PS3 is a little more 'future proof' than the 360. So given that I've seen both sides of the critical debate am I going to buy a PS3? Well yes. Sony are a HUGE powerhouse of a developer and product creator/seller. They are trying to exploit the fact, to a degree, that they're trying to break a new format, Blu-ray. However that will also benefit the system on a gaming front that the 360 won't be able to match. Having said this I believe that over the next 12 months we could really see what the PS3 is capable of in terms of app's and gaming. As I mentioned earlier I want all 3 platforms and I also want 3 different experiences/choices, which by rights it looks like I will get. Buy or rent the 'exclusives' and choose the best multi-platform when they come out. PS want to win the console war as they have some much depending on it. Going on their past track record there's no reason why they wont this time. I guess only time will tell. Thank for information and advice people.

Here's a bit of information I read from an article on Gametrailers yesterday. Resistance Fall of Man took 22 gigabytes of data on the Blu Ray disc even after compression. Mass Effect for the Xbox 360, an undeniably massive game, was barely able to squeeze all of their data on a regular DVD 9 without using a second disc. An interesting tidbit of information any way you slice it. It is possible that Mass Effect, while retaining all of its quality visuals and gameplay elements, may be missing a good deal of content due to the game itself taking a massive amount of storage space. Or, you could consider all that other stuff fluff and therefore irrelevant and an indication that they won't be limited by the DVD 9 any time soon. Comparatively, Resistance was a first-person shooter, while Mass Effect is a universe-traveling RPG. Perhaps there is more to the argument than meets the eye in this respect. Let me tell you, though, the PS3 is getting a major amount of attention from Sony. They have very many in-house first-party developers creating software support for the system. There's a big leap in quality between PS3's first-party titles and third party titles. I'm very excited to see what these guys can do. Third party exclusives are interesting at best, but the first party support is definitely a point of consideration in Sony's case.
Sycosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sycosi
[QUOTE="Sycosi"]

[QUOTE="Redfingers"]Here's some things that lifted my spirits after reading similarly humbling things from the 360 crowd.

Redfingers

Here's a bit of information I read from an article on Gametrailers yesterday. Resistance Fall of Man took 22 gigabytes of data on the Blu Ray disc even after compression. Mass Effect for the Xbox 360, an undeniably massive game, was barely able to squeeze all of their data on a regular DVD 9 without using a second disc. An interesting tidbit of information any way you slice it. It is possible that Mass Effect, while retaining all of its quality visuals and gameplay elements, may be missing a good deal of content due to the game itself taking a massive amount of storage space. Or, you could consider all that other stuff fluff and therefore irrelevant and an indication that they won't be limited by the DVD 9 any time soon. Comparatively, Resistance was a first-person shooter, while Mass Effect is a universe-traveling RPG. Perhaps there is more to the argument than meets the eye in this respect. Let me tell you, though, the PS3 is getting a major amount of attention from Sony. They have very many in-house first-party developers creating software support for the system. There's a big leap in quality between PS3's first-party titles and third party titles. I'm very excited to see what these guys can do. Third party exclusives are interesting at best, but the first party support is definitely a point of consideration in Sony's case.

This is yet another issue that I think will benefit Sony in the long run. As good as the 360 is, and currently I'm more than happy, I'm a little concerned that there will be limitation that wont be applicable to the PS3, like disc size, graphics and sound capabilities, storage etc. paradoxily I also think that the 'need' almost for the PS3 to catch up, to the 360, and the huge financial stressor the PS3 has presently, could make Sony work harder and longer to make their console a major success. I guess my initial disappointment with Sony has been the lack of product delivery for Europe, the lack of BC due to the missing chip-although not a major issue, the high price and other bugs and glitches. However it is very early doors for what can be described a cutting edge piece of media technology. I just hope that Sony, once the Euro release happens, focus their energies BIG TIME to bring us the best quality products and games that really show off the machines potential and capabilities. Rather than a glorified 360 with a new dvd format player....

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
The reason why so many people are really moaning is because of it's price,and if your going to buy a GAME CONSOLE for 425 pound the nyou want everything to be perfect,if it was at the same price of the 360 then this would be a different story,even though it's all down to the games,and the 360 has an amazing lineup this year.

I might buy a ps3 hwen MGS4 comes out later this year,but only if it scores vey high