any good ps3 controllers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Beach86
Member since 2006 • 631 Posts

ive had my ps3 for a few years and i still cant get 100% comfortable with the controller for fps games. its mainly how loose the sticks are. i do like the 360 better, but mainly because of how the sticks feel. i have the dualshock 3. my friend got a silver one and said the sticks were stiffer. i tried it and thought it was much better. are the newer ones any different or is it just because its new. i saw one at gamestop that looked just like the xbox one. anyone know if thats any good. or if there is some kind of ps3 controller that the sticks arent so loose after a little bit of use.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Whoa there... Alright soo, you say you've played with a silver dualshock and you thought it was better? Pretty damn sure Sony never made any changes to the dualschock3s, so you sure your controller isn't broken to some extent? Then as far as third party controllers go, there are tons for every system. Soo just saying "i saw one at gamestop that looked just like the xbox one" doesn't tell us what controller you saw. I'm sure you can do your own research and find your perfect third party PS3 controller. Amazon would be a good place to start.
Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Beach86

well i wouldnt go out and waist money for something i never tried, which is why im seeing if anyone else is using a good one. also i kind of figured my friends new controller was better simply because it was new. the sticks were much stiffer. he noticed it too and thought that it was a new kind of controller, i didnt know if the newest ones were any different. mine is a few years old.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The sticks on the Dual Shock controllers seem to loosen over time - I know my old PS2 controllers were painfully floppy by the time I bought a PS3, and my original Dual Shock 3 is much worse than the new one that came with the Slim I just bought. I mean, it's not perfect - the sticks are still the wrong length and convex instead of concave - but they are slightly stiffer than my old one. Now, if only they'd done the same thing and replaced the trigger spring with a tighter one. There are a handful of third party controllers designed after the 360 controller, but I've never had much luck with third party stuff over the years. The only controller of note was the AirStyle, a wireless Dual Shock 2 - and that's basically just because they took the Dual Shock 2 design and made it wireless. Apparently Logitech's PS3 controller isn't bad, though, and I think there is a device that lets you use wired 360 controllers on the PS3 too, but it's hard to find.
Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Beach86

thanks lae. i wont get a new dualshock just yet, since it will be the same eventually. ill see what i can find. if anyone else is using one that you think is good, let me know.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

thanks lae. i wont get a new dualshock just yet, since it will be the same eventually. ill see what i can find. if anyone else is using one that you think is good, let me know.

Beach86

The Power A is apprently quite good, according to NeoGaf. I haven't tried it myself, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418035

Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Beach86

thanks again. that is the one i saw at gamestop. ill probably pick that one up.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
If you do pick that up, please post back with how it plays. I sometimes feel the 360 controller is a bit too small and as a result uncomfortable, so you can imagine how I feel about the PS3. :( I would love to see more posts about bigger 3rd-party PS3 controllers.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
If you do pick that up, please post back with how it plays. I sometimes feel the 360 controller is a bit too small and as a result uncomfortable, so you can imagine how I feel about the PS3. :( I would love to see more posts about bigger 3rd-party PS3 controllers.ChiliDragon
360 controller to small :?? How big are your hands?
kaa0steoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kaa0steoria
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

There's also a bunch of controllers originally designed for the PC using the usb. I find that the gamepads for pc have better sticks than the original ps3 controllers. But all in all I think this is a matter of preference. Some even like their sticks to be all floppy and worn down. x)

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
360 controller to small :?? How big are your hands?gmaster456
*sighs dramatically* I should have been a basketball player... :( :P T be honest, it's not about the size in my hands, so much as it is the fact that I have tendinitis in one wrist (tendinitis = fancy doctor speech for "severe carpal tunnel") and if the controller isn't large enough that I can completely relax my wrist while holding it, I get cramps after just an hour or so of gaming. I can almost do it with a 360 controller, but since I prefer the PS3 I really want to find a bigger controller for it.
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts
[QUOTE="gmaster456"]360 controller to small :?? How big are your hands?ChiliDragon
*sighs dramatically* I should have been a basketball player... :( :P T be honest, it's not about the size in my hands, so much as it is the fact that I have tendinitis in one wrist (tendinitis = fancy doctor speech for "severe carpal tunnel") and if the controller isn't large enough that I can completely relax my wrist while holding it, I get cramps after just an hour or so of gaming. I can almost do it with a 360 controller, but since I prefer the PS3 I really want to find a bigger controller for it.

i know how you feel but not from using the ps3 controller. Playing handhelds hurt after a while, since they're all designed small now. I've only had luck with the dual shock controllers. Aftermarket controllers are always missing a feature, like they're not wireless, or if they are they're not bluetooth, they use regular batteries, they don't have six-axis, or they're not comfortable. This was especially dis-hearting since i wanted the Tron edition controller but it's wired and has no six-axis. :( I
Beach86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Beach86

i did pick up that controller, so for anyone interested its ok. its about the same size as the 360. but the sticks are just as loose as the ps3, which sucks. but more importantly it has bad dead zone. so its pretty much useless for fps games. im sure its fine for other games that it wouldnt matter in. but i would not get this again and will probably just trade it in, since ill never use it. i now see why third party controllers are never a good idea. especially for fps.