Answers to common questions about the PS3. *TGS update 9/23+new poll*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MarkSmith
Member since 2002 • 31168 Posts

***TGS 2006 Update***

(Q): I heard they dropped the price in japan. Is the U.S. Next?

(A): Nope, sorry: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158499.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

(Q) How will backward compatibility be handled?

(A): Apparently there will be limited support through emulation similar to the XBOX360's system

(Q): Will there be any uniformity between online games unlike last generation?

(A) Sony is in talks with XFire to bring in a ps3 specific online gaming uniformity platfom

***E3 2006 section FAQ***

(Q): What's the price?

(A): $500 for the stripped down package, $600 for the one with all the bells and whistles

(Q): But the $500 one just has a smaller harddrive, right? I'm fine with 20 GB

(A): No, unfortunately, the $500 lacks wifi and supposedly a memory card slot. HDMI HAS been confirmed though, however.

(Q): OMG, Sony totally copied Nintendo with the whole motion sensing controller idea, right?

(A): No, this is a common misconception. As Gamespot editor Bob Calyco pointed out, Microsoft introduced motion sensing controllers for PC games like Motocross Madness 2 back in 1999. It was more of a gimmick than a substantive feature, and quickly fizzled out. So really, Sony and Nintendo both copied Microsoft.

(Q): When will the Sony PlayStation 3 console be released?

(A): Worldwide release announced on November 16th, same month as FF12, Zelda 10, and the Nintendo Wii

(Q): And how many units will be shipped?

(A): 2,000,000. Beware though that Sony promised 1 million ps2s at launch, and only delivered 500,000.

(Q): What titles will be there at launch? What are the exclusive titles?

(A): Check here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24627349

(Q): Will Bungie developers bring Halo 3 to the PlayStation 3?

(A): NO! The only time recently there's been that big a defection was rare being bought by MS. But Rare was not a first party. Bungie is a FIRST PARTY. They are owned by Microsoft. Quit asking of Halo 3 will be on the ps3. Its like asking if Burger King will start selling big Macs

(Q) But I heard a rumor that (insert exclusive title on other platform here) will be on ps3!

(A) Sorry, your neighbor saying his friend heard it is not a credible source. If you're going to make that type of a thread, AT LEAST have a link. Heresay has no value.

(Q): Will the PS3 play PSP games?

(A): No. See, Sony wants to make money off the PSP. If you could play PSP games on the ps3, nobody would buy a PSP, and developers would have no idea how strong the fanbase is, and what acceptable development costs are.

(Q): Why is it called "Final Fantasy" if there are eleven installments and continuing?

(A): None of the Final Fantasy games are related to each other and all have different stories. The reason the game was called "Final Fantasy" originally was because Squaresoft was in financial trouble and figured that this would be their last title.

(Q): Was the Killzone E3 2005 trailer gameplay and in real-time?

(A): No, it was neither gameplay nor in real-time. Guerilla reported later that the trailer was infact running at 5 FPS and speed up to 60 FPS. The trailer is only to show what Guerilla will try to make in playable form.

(Q):
Should PlayStation fans be mad at Sony for being deceitful?

(A): No. Every console goes through stages before its launch. The PlayStation 3 at E3 2005 was in its alpha stage, it did not include the Cell processor nor the RSX "Reality Syntehsizer." Final development kits, stated by Sony, should be available by December including the Cell processor and the RSX.

Also, the games showed at E3 for the X360 were running on G5's rather than real X360 hardware. All the companies pretty much do it.

(Q): Am I required to purchase an HDTV in order to play the PlayStation 3?

(A): No. You will be able to play the PlayStation 3 on SDTV as well as HDTV. The same can be done with the Xbox 360. However, the ps3 is alleged to have the best HDTV support of any of the next gen consoles, and it is expected that when the government cuts off the analog t.v. signal around 2008 and switches to the digital signal that HDTV prices will fall drastically. Even if you don’t have an HDTV now, you may very well have one at some point during the ps3’s lifecycle, and its good to know that HD features will be fully supported.

(Q): Is it true that the PS3 will be region free?

(A): The system is modeled so that it is, but the XBOX was too, and some developers chose to make their games either PAL or NTSC only. The system will only be truly region free if Sony adopts a policy that only region free games will be allowed on their system. And there's no word yet that they've adopted such a policy.

(Q): Would it be ok if I went to the XBOX 360 forum and informed them that the XBOX 360 is the suckzorz, while the ps3 ownz it!!!!11111

(A): No. All overt displays of fanboyism outside of the System Wars forum will lead to suspensions.

(Q): What are the ps3's specifications?

(A): A full list of ps3 specifications can be found here: http://home.btconnect.com/hgi/ps3/ps3-official.html

(Q): What do the ps3 and its controller look like?

(A):

(Q): How's the online setup going to work?

(A): Very similar to the universal system with different payment options that Micorsoft uses for its XBOX Live service.

(Q): Will I be able to get one in time for Christmas?

(A): Not unless you camp out, or know the right people.

Previous Poll Results:

Question: What did you think of Sony's E3 Press Conference?
Most popular Choice: It was Pretty Good

Question: Which framchise are you most excited to see come to PS3?
Most Popular Choice: Metal Gear Solid

Question: Which package are you getting?
Most Popular Choice: The $600 one

kokoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kokoy
Member since 2003 • 1213 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I'm tired of people making the same threads over and over.
GAMERDAMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GAMERDAMER
Member since 2005 • 4868 Posts

1. Will Halo 3 be on the ps3?

NO! The only time recently there's bene that big a defection was rare being bought by MS. But Rare was not a first party. Bungie is a FIRST PARTY. They are owned by Microsoft. Quit aksing of Halo 3 will be on the ps3. Its like asking if Burger King will start selling big Mac's

2. But I heard a rumor that (insert exclusive title on other platform here) will be on ps3!

Sorry, your neighbor saying his friend heard it is not a credible source. If you're going to make that type of a thread, AT LEAST have alink. Heresay has no value.

3. Will the ps3 play PSP games?

No. See, Sony wants to make money off the PSP. If you could play PSP games on the ps3, nobody would buy a PSP, and developers would have no idea how strong the fanbase is, and what acceptable development costs are.

4. Why is it called "Final" Fantasy if there are 11 installments and counting?

None of the games are related, they all have different stores. (Not FFX and FFX-2, but FFX-2's story is so bad, that you should just do like me and pretend it doenst exist. Also just pretend like the last scene in FFX didnt happen, and you'll be fine.

5. Why did (insert GS reviewer here) give (insert game here) this score?

Cause they felt like it.

6. Will the ps3 cost $500?

NO. Sony's greedy, but not dumb. Anything over 400, 350 really will completely flop. Look at the Sega Saturn. If Sony were to ask $500, people would just move to pc gaming. If you're going to spend that much, you may as well have upgradeable parts

MarkSmith

But don't you think that if sony's psp costs $300 then ps3 will cost something more.

Wait can mods repsond back?

VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VonGak
Member since 2003 • 15399 Posts

But don't you think that if sony's psp costs $300 then ps3 will cost something more.

GAMERDAMER

The PSP doesn't cost 300USD. :| And it has a build in screen plus the small size makes it more expensive to make.

Another reason why the PSP is priced 250USD is because the demand is much higher than the production and when that happens in any liberal economy the prise will automatically be adjusted( anything else would be silly of Sony, especially because they are not going to sell less).

jpbc9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jpbc9999
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts
[QUOTE="GAMERDAMER"]

VonGak

The PSP doesn't cost 300USD. :| And it has a build in screen plus the small size makes it more expensive to make.

Another reason why the PSP is priced 250USD is because the demand is much higher than the production and when that happens in any liberal economy the prise will automatically be adjusted( anything else would be silly of Sony, especially because they are not going to sell less).

ps3, xbo2, and nin rev...all 400+ at debut. Remember dvd burneres....those things used to cost four bills...now you can get a DL one for 100 buck.....dvd media cost like a buck a disk. They wont flop either....for those of you stucl in the 90s or early 00....I must inform you the value of the dollar has plummeted. Meaning 300 when ps2 came out is arount at least 400 today. People will buy them. No...buy a pc cant really be don right with just 500...way more expensive...a video card and hd can cost more. i dont see them selling for less than 4 bills to start, maybe im nutts....just my theory.
pumpkinlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pumpkinlover
Member since 2004 • 5383 Posts

you should call it "PS3 FAQ" rather then "some questions to stop asking" as ppl are more likly to read it!

but good job anyway!

mike102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mike102
Member since 2003 • 736 Posts
what a post i never ever even see those questions. THANKS :)
nellyg619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 nellyg619
Member since 2004 • 6832 Posts
I'm tired of people asking those questions
-Stretch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Stretch-
Member since 2004 • 593 Posts
GOOD JOB!!
sub-zero5445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sub-zero5445
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts
people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiots
hyper_trunkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hyper_trunkx
Member since 2004 • 6719 Posts
yea making it $500 would be a big mistake(plus they wont anyway)...espseciallly when it get price drops...lets drop it to $450!....but thats still a crap load...i think it should be at the most $350
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
good post, maybe this will shut some people up.
FuriousNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FuriousNoob
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="GAMERDAMER"]

jpbc9999

ps3, xbo2, and nin rev...all 400+ at debut. Remember dvd burneres....those things used to cost four bills...now you can get a DL one for 100 buck.....dvd media cost like a buck a disk. They wont flop either....for those of you stucl in the 90s or early 00....I must inform you the value of the dollar has plummeted. Meaning 300 when ps2 came out is arount at least 400 today. People will buy them. No...buy a pc cant really be don right with just 500...way more expensive...a video card and hd can cost more. i dont see them selling for less than 4 bills to start, maybe im nutts....just my theory.

According to the Consumer Price Index, it would be $329.09 today
MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarkSmith
[QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="GAMERDAMER"]

jpbc9999

Yeah right. For inflation to occur, the average income has to INCREASE. Its not increasing, thats why the economy sucks. As has been pointed out, its a small increase according to the consumer price index.

tarantao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tarantao
Member since 2003 • 548 Posts

NO! The only time recently there's been that big a defection was rare being bought by MS. But Rare was not a first party. Bungie is a FIRST PARTY. They are owned by Microsoft. Quit asking of Halo 3 will be on the ps3. Its like asking if Burger King will start selling big Mac's

2. But I heard a rumor that (insert exclusive title on other platform here) will be on ps3!

Sorry, your neighbor saying his friend heard it is not a credible source. If you're going to make that type of a thread, AT LEAST have a link. Heresay has no value.

No. See, Sony wants to make money off the PSP. If you could play PSP games on the ps3, nobody would buy a PSP, and developers would have no idea how strong the fanbase is, and what acceptable development costs are.

None of the games are related, they all have different stores. (Not FFX and FFX-2, but FFX-2's story is so bad, that you should just do like me and pretend it doesnt exist. Also just pretend like the last scene in FFX didnt happen, and you'll be fine.

Cause they felt like it.

NO. Sony's greedy, but not dumb. Anything over 400, 350 really will completely flop. Look at the Sega Saturn. If Sony were to ask $500, people would just move to pc gaming. If you're going to spend that much, you may as well have upgradeable parts

MarkSmith

1. WILL HALO 3 BE ON THE PS3? Agree. I'm tired of this dumb question being asked and it only increases the post with getting trolled, flamed etc. I think the posts with HALO3 on it should be locked in this forum. Theres no point in it even being here.

dancient0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dancient0ne
Member since 2004 • 8431 Posts

the most they could charge is 400 bucks

but even 350 is pushing it

tarantao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tarantao
Member since 2003 • 548 Posts

the most they could charge is 400 bucks

but even 350 is pushing it

dancient0ne

I dont know about that, I actually thought $500 would have been a reasonable price point but if you say its going to be 400 and under, even better.

My reason for thinking that they might be charging $500 is because I have been looking into buying the Psp and after seeing some of those bundles go for $350 at gamestop Im starting to have doubts on the Ps3 being lower than $350. What's to say they wont bundle it up with other stuff like they did with the Psp.

Avatar image for deactivated-62d35c22739c2
deactivated-62d35c22739c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 deactivated-62d35c22739c2
Member since 2004 • 2348 Posts
Nice, now I know what and what not to do here.
Dias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Dias99
Member since 2004 • 8759 Posts

Great post.. But why isn't this floated so that everyone can read this?

shawtty024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shawtty024
Member since 2003 • 501 Posts
[QUOTE="jpbc9999"][QUOTE="VonGak"][QUOTE="GAMERDAMER"]

FuriousNoob

According to the Consumer Price Index, it would be $329.09 today

hmm...i smell ownage
powerman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 powerman1990
Member since 2003 • 4707 Posts
I don't like the comment about being greedy. Look at Microsoft buying out a bunch of good developers, that is greedy. In fact, I think SONY uses its userbase to sell its electronics. But other than that, its well thought out. You need to put something about the "When's it coming out" and "How much will it be" threads.
Avatar image for recipient_unown
recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 recipient_unown
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts

NO! The only time recently there's been that big a defection was rare being bought by MS. But Rare was not a first party. Bungie is a FIRST PARTY. They are owned by Microsoft. Quit asking of Halo 3 will be on the ps3. Its like asking if Burger King will start selling big Mac's

Sorry, your neighbor saying his friend heard it is not a credible source. If you're going to make that type of a thread, AT LEAST have a link. Heresay has no value.

None of the games are related, they all have different stores. (Not FFX and FFX-2, but FFX-2's story is so bad, that you should just do like me and pretend it doesnt exist. Also just pretend like the last scene in FFX didnt happen, and you'll be fine.

Cause they felt like it.

MarkSmith

Some good points, but there is no need to get angry

dbe85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dbe85
Member since 2004 • 2145 Posts

what about when is the PS3 coming out?

what does the PS3 look like?

the answer for both is no one knows right now

MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MarkSmith

dbe85

I was thinking about that, but the questions I have are more bad/out there questions. Maybe I'll include those and change the title a little bit.

knitecrow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 knitecrow007
Member since 2004 • 2737 Posts
finally ... someone with good points

you really should "sticky" this post so that people stop asking the same dumb questions.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

dbe85

guess what i know every question u just asked cause i have a magazine with the picture and everything

recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 recipient_unown
Even though some of these questions are annoying, some are good discussion topics, which, last time i checked, was what u do in forums. i dont see why people get so angry about it
Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jr14
ok the new PS3 has neon lights in them that change every month it has 4 wireless controller parts and 2 regular ones and it is suposed to have an eye toy built in it and it also has a network adaptar built in it i would tell ya all more but it would be to much writing
recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 recipient_unown
Wher did u hear that?
Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jr14

Wher did u hear that?recipient_unown

it's all in my magazine picture and everything

recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 recipient_unown
which mag is that? is the info from the GDC or sumn?
OmegaPhoenix07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OmegaPhoenix07
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

ok the new PS3 has neon lights in them that change every month it has 4 wireless controller parts and 2 regular ones and it is suposed to have an eye toy built in it and it also has a network adaptar built in it i would tell ya all more but it would be to much writingJr14

Of course I can't be sure your description of the PS3 is wrong but it does not sound genuine. Firstly why have neon lights that change colour every month??? It sounds a bit trivial to say the least. Secondly you say it has two regular controller parts, what if people don't have any wireless controllers??? Can they only play two player games on the PS3 then? An eye toy built in could be a bit awkard (ie. if your PS3 is on the floor) and your last point is hardly astounding. It seems logical to have a network adapter built in the PS3; thay have it in the slim PS2 and it would be a major marketing error from Sony if they did not have it in the PS3.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jr14

which mag is that? is the info from the GDC or sumn?recipient_unown

well i don't have the magazine with me right now but on the cover it had the game 25 To Life

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jr14

[QUOTE="Jr14"]ok the new PS3 has neon lights in them that change every month it has 4 wireless controller parts and 2 regular ones and it is suposed to have an eye toy built in it and it also has a network adaptar built in it i would tell ya all more but it would be to much writingOmegaPhoenix07

Of course I can't be sure your description of the PS3 is wrong but it does not sound genuine. Firstly why have neon lights that change colour every month??? It sounds a bit trivial to say the least. Secondly you say it has two regular controller parts, what if people don't have any wireless controllers??? Can they only play two player games on the PS3 then? An eye toy built in could be a bit awkard (ie. if your PS3 is on the floor) and your last point is hardly astounding. It seems logical to have a network adapter built in the PS3; thay have it in the slim PS2 and it would be a major marketing error from Sony if they did not have it in the PS3.

It does sound weird but it's in a magazine and the game first comes out in Japan in 2006 and it proubly comes with wireless controller and how and i don't know about the eyetoy why it would be built in i think it just comes with the PS3

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jr14

[QUOTE="Jr14"]ok the new PS3 has neon lights in them that change every month it has 4 wireless controller parts and 2 regular ones and it is suposed to have an eye toy built in it and it also has a network adaptar built in it i would tell ya all more but it would be to much writingOmegaPhoenix07

The PS3 im talking about is in the magazine PSM i think and on the cover of the magazine it has the game 25 To Life

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiotssub-zero5445
GAMERDAMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GAMERDAMER
Member since 2005 • 4868 Posts
When is E3?
roguemedicBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 roguemedicBC
Member since 2005 • 65 Posts
people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiotssub-zero5445

Yeah I completely agree with ya-I would say "I don't get how any idiot could think that the exclusive XBOX game would be released for PS3" thought...but I guess we''ve already seen that its completely possible. Thanks for the other info though :D
Goldey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Goldey
Member since 2003 • 1291 Posts

[QUOTE="sub-zero5445"]people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiotsroguemedicBC

Yeah I completely agree with ya-I would say "I don't get how any idiot could think that the exclusive XBOX game would be released for PS3" thought...but I guess we''ve already seen that its completely possible. Thanks for the other info though :D

how come PS never get exclusive titles i thought GTA will be exclusive then XBOX stole it from under our clamy fingers!

kctree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 kctree
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

This mod is a bit salty aint he?!

It's hard to say how much it will cost. Probably $300 in the beggining. We're all die hard gamers in here... so we will buy it no matter what. That's why $400 and up sounds even remotely possible to us. Just remember that if people don't have a system they can't buy games. There is the real money maker.

Avatar image for TheRedJeboption
TheRedJeboption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 TheRedJeboption
Member since 2005 • 2459 Posts
Yah, I also saw in the new PSM issue that there will be 4 wireless controller adapters, and 2 normal controller plug ins built in. It will also have this light that changes color depending on the month. It's sort of shaped like an N64 but looks way cooler.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

[QUOTE="roguemedicBC"][QUOTE="sub-zero5445"]people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiotsGoldey

how come PS never get exclusive titles i thought GTA will be exclusive then XBOX stole it from under our clamy fingers!

You're joking right?

PS2 has plenty of exclusives.
recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 recipient_unown

Yah, I also saw in the new PSM issue that there will be 4 wireless controller adapters, and 2 normal controller plug ins built in. It will also have this light that changes color depending on the month. It's sort of shaped like an N64 but looks way cooler.TheRedJeboption

Do you seriously believe that PSM are telling the truth? If so then answer me this, why would Sony release such important information to PSM first, and why doesnt any other place have this imformation?

Goldey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Goldey

[QUOTE="TheRedJeboption"]Yah, I also saw in the new PSM issue that there will be 4 wireless controller adapters, and 2 normal controller plug ins built in. It will also have this light that changes color depending on the month. It's sort of shaped like an N64 but looks way cooler.recipient_unown

Do you seriously believe that PSM are telling the truth? If so then answer me this, why would Sony release such important information to PSM first, and why doesnt any other place have this imformation?

maybe it was leaked?

Goldey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Goldey
[QUOTE="Goldey"]

[QUOTE="roguemedicBC"][QUOTE="sub-zero5445"]people thought halo 3 would be on ps3 wat idiotsTerami

You're joking right?

PS2 has plenty of exclusives.

oops i meant "dont get exclusives that often" PS2 has got exclusives like Gran Turismo but they dont say "only for PS2" do you think they shoud do that for PS3

tmaflux92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 tmaflux92
Member since 2004 • 4958 Posts
wow, halo 3 on the ps3. i cant wait
Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jr14

[QUOTE="TheRedJeboption"]Yah, I also saw in the new PSM issue that there will be 4 wireless controller adapters, and 2 normal controller plug ins built in. It will also have this light that changes color depending on the month. It's sort of shaped like an N64 but looks way cooler.recipient_unown

because PSM is one of the best magazines u can get to find stuff out about playstation and everything else in it is true so why wouldn't the PS3 be true i think the PS3 looks cooler then any other system

recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 recipient_unown
If Sony released any information about the PS3, I think they would do so in a press release or expo/conference, and not release the information to a single magazine.
Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jr14

If Sony released any information about the PS3, I think they would do so in a press release or expo/conference, and not release the information to a single magazine.recipient_unown

How do u know they haven't done that already?They could of had a conference about it in California, New York, Chicago, even Washington D.C.

recipient_unown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 recipient_unown
Everyone would know by now if that were the case.