Another Gamestop story (as if you needed another one)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

I went to my local Gamestop last night looking for a copy of Folklore - my gf was buying me an early bday present. The store is clerked by smirking console-that-shall-not-be-named fanboys, including this asian kid that always wears sunglasses. I don't know if he thinks he's Italian, if he's extra photosensitive, or just thinks he's cool, but he is terrible at customer service.

Anyway, I ask if they have Folklore in stock, and they (again, smirkingly) tell me that they only received one or two copies. ONE OR TWO COPIES. They were sold out, naturally.

So once again, I submit for your perusal this blatant sign of anti-PS3 bias. A brand new "next-gen" game that reviewed pretty well, and Gamestop ordered a few copies and has yet to reorder.

WTF, I ask you. W. T. F.

gsf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gsf
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts

they had copies

what i find funny is that gamestop workers look like the biggest nerds ever, but actually know nothing about games

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

they had copies

what i find funny is that gamestop workers look like the biggest nerds ever, but actually know nothing about games

gsf

i know, its almost funny how stupid they are, i mean you work in a game store, you should know something about games. the worst one ever didn't konw what Gran Turismo 4 was, he had to look it up in the computer :P

Robotron92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Robotron92
Member since 2007 • 520 Posts
thats not really a biased story?

they just had 1 or 2 copies, the game isnt that incredible where they thought they would need more
skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

No bias on my part - yes I love my PS3, but I don't begrudge people there own hobby.

The store in questionis one of 3 or 4 stores in town, I'm in Tulsa, OK - not a super-metro area like New York, but we have about 1 million people living around the area. They probably should have more than a few copies of a brand new game.

I'm guessing I could have picked up a copy of Beautiful Katamariwith no hassle, if I owned the console on which to play it and the desire.

Caduceus06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Caduceus06
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
Their immediate response should be - "No, we don't have any copies. I can see if I can order one for you for the next few days, or I can call one of the other stores nearby and see if they have it. Which would you prefer?"
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts
Is there some kinda sticky for gamestop horror stories? If not there should be.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
I must have hit the jackpot then because there are no fanboys in any of the EB Games or Gamestops in my area. Just gamers. I went a pre-ordered GH3 for PS3 today to make sure I get it Sunday and sure enough all he said was that the game looked great.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
I must have hit the jackpot then because there are no fanboys in any of the EB Games or Gamestops in my area. Just gamers. I went a pre-ordered GH3 for PS3 today to make sure I get it Sunday and sure enough all he said was that the game looked great. The_Rick_14
same here. well the one i go to any ways!
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
I don't shop at gamestop store. I may buy on this website but not the actual store. Let those store go bye bye.
FatCat360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FatCat360
Member since 2006 • 414 Posts
You should use there website and see if they have any copies its not real time but its updated a bit.
n0z3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 n0z3
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts
The problem I usually run into at EB is that they take so many preorders they never seem to have much in stock. When I got bioshock I needed to buy a display copy. I did preorder Halo 3. The Orange Box was sold out. Then I went to Best Buy and they had a shelf full. Best Buy is much larger and seems to have more stock, so I usually like to stick with them.
u_poop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 u_poop
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts

gosh they are such nerdy douche bags, seriously why do they care if the ps3 is bad they have a freaking job to do!

i guess gamestop just sucks, i went to gamestop just looking around(because my parents were at the other store next to it) and they said they dont have heavenly sword, folklore, or lair, and they have been out for a long time.

ALSO when i was going to buy the system(ps3) they kept saying how bad the system was till i just left till i went to best buy to buy one, and the guy there actually had the system and told me it was awsome.

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]I must have hit the jackpot then because there are no fanboys in any of the EB Games or Gamestops in my area. Just gamers. I went a pre-ordered GH3 for PS3 today to make sure I get it Sunday and sure enough all he said was that the game looked great. jackle2071

I, too, am very fortunate with the staff at my local GameStop.

magikmark84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magikmark84
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
those gamestop/eb employee's are full of it, dont worry about them when MGS 4 comes out and you go to pick it up, i bet they wont be smirking then, they'll be pretty much upset they dont own a ps3 to enjoy a perfect game.
socomn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 socomn00b
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
There's a little bit of it at our gamestop here, but not much. I started going to game crazy, never had any problems.
Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="jackle2071"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]I must have hit the jackpot then because there are no fanboys in any of the EB Games or Gamestops in my area. Just gamers. I went a pre-ordered GH3 for PS3 today to make sure I get it Sunday and sure enough all he said was that the game looked great. VERS1ON

I, too, am very fortunate with the staff at my local GameStop.

ah i see, you prefer a game library that has no games at all.... lol. sorry i had to go there :P

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

those gamestop/eb employee's are full of it, dont worry about them when MGS 4 comes out and you go to pick it up, i bet they wont be smirking then, they'll be pretty much upset they dont own a ps3 to enjoy a perfect game.magikmark84

garauntee MGS4 wont be perfect..... fun... but not perfect. none of the mgs games have been perfect, so why would this one be?

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
Sorry, I don't see the "bias" you cry out? So they only had two copies of Folklore. Maybe that store didn't have that many pre-orders of the game to begin with so they didn't get that many copies? So a store had only two copies and they were sold out that means it's 'bias'? wow, you really are sensitive aren't you?

I went to my local Gamestop last night looking for a copy of Folklore - my gf was buying me an early bday present. The store is clerked by smirking console-that-shall-not-be-named fanboys, including this asian kid that always wears sunglasses. I don't know if he thinks he's Italian, if he's extra photosensitive, or just thinks he's cool, but he is terrible at customer service.

Anyway, I ask if they have Folklore in stock, and they (again, smirkingly) tell me that they only received one or two copies. ONE OR TWO COPIES. They were sold out, naturally.

So once again, I submit for your perusal this blatant sign of anti-PS3 bias. A brand new "next-gen" game that reviewed pretty well, and Gamestop ordered a few copies and has yet to reorder.

WTF, I ask you. W. T. F.

skirlnik
thageneral2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thageneral2
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

I hate gamestop as much as the next person but UH

I guess you don't know how retail works

Its not the clerks that order games, it's all corporate, they get what they get, they can't control how much they get, or when they get more

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Its people like you that want games but dont preorder them is the reason they only get a few copies if they have more preorders they get more. Walmart just gets like 20 of everything unless it is going to sell more for sure. Smaller companys can not afford to get 20 or so of every game.
bukkookkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 bukkookkub
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts

wow.. i show support for ps3. Tell my feelings toward gamestop, and ask a constructive question towards purchasing a ps3 and you delete my comment? wow. oh thats right, i don't see any other comments relating to the same type of thing.. anyways.. isn't this a topic aboutGAMESTOP? If you want to know the reason they told you they only had a couple of copies.. is because they knew you didn't support people who also are for seeing the ps3 fans not get harrassed. But you deleting a comment that was relevant to the subject, is exactly portraying a gamestop employee. Way to go.

Please don't delete my 2 cents next time. Thats all I ask. I think it was reasonable and fair, and it should be heard just as much as the next agreeing, sporting their first amendment,gamer basically flaming... excuse me giving free speech towards gamestop for like treatment.

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

I called into a local EBGames on 23rd and want to know when they'll have R&C arrived. (I know those guys at my local EB are XO fanboys and I did want to go to Bestbuy but BB said they didn't have it that early, so.....I've gotta call EB if I don't wanna wait)

The guy at the phone told me "although R&C is not that good, but it's still huge for PS3, you'd better come in early tomorrow"

I was like WTF, You can't even give a break bashing PS3 games you piece of ****? Now I've decided that I would just wait for Walmart or Bestbuy putting R&C on the shelf rather bringing any business to that local EBGames.

Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

I couldn't be happier with the poeple at my Gamestop. I just went in yesterday or the day before, and talked with the manager and one of the other employees, both I know well from repeated visits, and we started talking about Mass Effect on the 360, and without a skip, we went into talking about Haze, and they were both very enthusiastic about it and said how good it looked, and I get that kind of unbiased discussion everytime I go in there, and If I wanted to talk about the Wii or PC games, I would get solid feedback. I guess I'm just lucky.

I don't know how all Gamestops are, but I do know that mine, they mainly get enough to cover reserves, and the first shipment of a given game, that's about all they get. If they have 12 reserves for a game, they may get 14 or 15 total copies of that game. Depending on the game, my store is also sometimes slow to recover stock, so If it were my store, I could totally believe that they only got 2 or 3 copies of folklore outside of the reserves, and that they would still be out of stock more than a week after release.

I also don't see where your claims of bias are. I'm not saying that a good number of Gamestops do not suffer from issues with bad or biased employees, but I question your claim in this instance.

Windblade91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Windblade91
Member since 2006 • 4343 Posts

so true everytime i go i there they ask me whats with the assassins creed LE, or well when i was pre-ordering it,

well one guys knew about games but he just didnt know what was in the LE...but yeah u would think they would know more than us...

lamplan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lamplan
Member since 2006 • 1135 Posts

I had a good Gamespot experience. I wanted Ratchet and clank. I did store search. I called each one until I found one that had it. (.. customer service sux everywhere not just at GS, so call first, dont' walk into your "snarky" experience you mentioned) I went to the store that had it, then purchased the game, then left.

Just like I had hoped. ;P

hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

its obviously a good
thing we dont have
these stores in australia..
but meh..i buy all my games
off ebay..and get them cheaper :P

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

[QUOTE="magikmark84"]those gamestop/eb employee's are full of it, dont worry about them when MGS 4 comes out and you go to pick it up, i bet they wont be smirking then, they'll be pretty much upset they dont own a ps3 to enjoy a perfect game.Roland123_basic

garauntee MGS4 wont be perfect..... fun... but not perfect. none of the mgs games have been perfect, so why would this one be?

Of course. No games are ever perfect. But MGS goes above and beyond in so many aspects it greatly out weighs any flaws so whats your point? MGS4 will completely own every game in 08 with the exception of Ninja Gaiden 2 if action games are your main interest. On a side note MGS1 and 2 were damn near perfect at there times of release.

Back on topic, yes Gamestop is a MS fanboy haven. I buy my games at Wal-Mart now were at least they don't try to pretend like they know about games.