Another broken PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sigleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Sigleaf
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts
So is anyone else refusing to shell out 150$ to repair their malfuctioning PS3 that doesn't read discs? It is clearly a problem with how they were made because I havn't played my ps3 more than 500 hours in the past year and now its past warranty and wont play any discs..... I tried dealing with the worst customer support service ever but all you get is jackass dimwits... I always gave props to the PS3 but at least M$ repairs their mess ups.... Screw sony and good luck making NO more money off me.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
ohwell your loss. I shelled out 190.97 for them to fix my 60gb last november and i didn't care.
Unknown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Unknown15
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts
Yeah, mine is going haywire... I guess my hard drive is corrupt. I never turn it off from the back until it's done from the front, and yet it freezes a lot. When it does, and I turn it back on, I get no menu. It just starts up (music and everything) and there's no freakin menus. I set everything to crappy setting and after a while it'll read my currupt hard drive to just tell me "Restoring... do not turn off the system". Takes an hour or so for the thing to work again... then after another hour or more, the process begins again. I called Sony and they told me it'll be $150... yeah right!! This will be the second time I pay, and my warranty expired a month ago. I'll just get a new hard drive I suppose. They won't see money from me again... well, at least not for my PS3 stuff :P
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts
Well, like Sk8ter said, that's your loss. You can get it fixed or you don't get it fixed. Up to you. Yeah, it costs money but what doesn't? Sure, MS does it for free but that's because they know their system is unstable, technically. We don't really need to hear a story about a guy who doesn't want to pay money for a repair.
Sigleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sigleaf
Just do a quick google search and see all the masses having the exact same problem... Its becoming an epidemic.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

With the older models, yeah.

This is also due in part by the fact that people don't know how to take care of their crap.

albatrossdrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 albatrossdrums
Member since 2008 • 1178 Posts

This is also due in part by the fact that people don't know how to take care of their crap.

Scianix-Black

Definitely. And I've never had a problem with my PS3. By contrast, my 360 died in less than a year and a half, and I hate to tell you this OP, but if you are expecting MS customer service to be better than you describe your experience with PS3 support, based on my experience you're in for a unpleasant surprise, unless you enjoy sitting on hold for a half hour only to get someone in India who can barely speak English and can do nothing but read to you from a sheet of paper and quote policy (this is exactly what happened to me). It's one reason I simply chucked my 360 and haven't played a game on the system since.

philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts

So is anyone else refusing to shell out 150$ to repair their malfuctioning PS3 that doesn't read discs? It is clearly a problem with how they were made because I havn't played my ps3 more than 500 hours in the past year and now its past warranty and wont play any discs..... I tried dealing with the worst customer support service ever but all you get is jackass dimwits... I always gave props to the PS3 but at least M$ repairs their mess ups.... Screw sony and good luck making NO more money off me.Sigleaf

wow blog it, do you really think people want to come online to a forum and read about a person being cheap and what do you mean at least microsoft repairs their mess ups? clearly sony does too for $150 and if ur refering to microsoft doing it for free, thats only for RRoD buddy cause thats almost guaranteed to happen and i dont think there is a problem with how they were made when it only happens to very few people, break down rate is still really low,

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 0bscurity
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts

Just do a quick google search and see all the masses having the exact same problem... Its becoming an epidemic.Sigleaf

No, it's really not. It has a 3% failure rate. Of course you're going to have some people online crying about it.

armyman_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#10 armyman_22
Member since 2004 • 1492 Posts
well my PS3 is still going strong, as for the 360 it broke before it was 7 months old so I got an elite you do the math on that
DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Scianix-Black

Agreed but not always. My bro is on his 3rd 360 and he took pretty damn good care of them. Hell sometimes when I'd leave to check on something in the next room he would turn it off in part because he was under the impression that I had left it on.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well, like Sk8ter said, that's your loss. You can get it fixed or you don't get it fixed. Up to you. Yeah, it costs money but what doesn't? Sure, MS does it for free but that's because they know their system is unstable, technically. We don't really need to hear a story about a guy who doesn't want to pay money for a repair.Amster_G
Yeah his point is that Sony just wont admit that their system is unstable like MS has, my system has a similar problem. They do have awful customer service and they are too arrogant to admit that they release screwed up hardware and should take responsibility for it. The only reason I am paying to have it repaired is because the large number of games I have, selling off the games would result in a far greater financial loss than the repair fee. You cant blame the guy for being upset that Sony put out crap and then basically say that there hardware shortcomings are the consumers fault. Hell mine started to fall apart less than 3 weeks after the warranty expired, do you know how pissed off I was and still am to be honest. And before someone else says well you cant take care of your stuff, my 20 year old working NES says hi, while my 13 month old PS3 needs to go back to Sony.
Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

To those that say they need to take more care of there systems; Thats half true, because for all those who know me I take extreme care of my personal belongings, I think the only reason my (60GB) Playstation 3 died (R.I.P) was because my brother and I were on it for atleast 10....yes that is correct "Ten" hours a day for about a year and half. (Since the first half of '07 sucked...).

She held up well for what we put her through... Blu-Ray movies during the day; Games during the night. O and I also used her for a heater (LOL) ok I lied...

Too be series, I always cleaned and treated it good. She was 600+ why wouldn't I? Anyways for some edvice, limit her play through to about 6 or 7 hours a day. CHEERS!

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

DirkXXVI

Agreed but not always. My bro is on his 3rd 360 and he took pretty damn good care of them. Hell sometimes when I'd leave to check on something in the next room he would turn it off in part because he was under the impression that I had left it on.

You see?

This is the difference between a PS3 and a 360.

The PS3 knows the golden rule.

Sigleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sigleaf
I find it hard to see what you mean by taking care of your system... You mean by what?? I didn't shelter it in a corner to where it would overheat or spill crap on it. I simply used it maybe a few hours every few days to play blu-rays and movies... If this isn't how the PS3 is supposed to be used then please tell me howwwww.
guitarboy2954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guitarboy2954
Member since 2004 • 69 Posts
My 60gb died a month after the warranty ran out. Quit reading disc's to but wasn't much you can do but pay the money to send it out for repair. I was happy enough after all the horror stories, I got my 60gb back fixed in less than a week, it went down to texas and I live in northern NY. So it was certainly fast enough.
Sigleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sigleaf
Thats good that you are getting it repaired. Hell I would lovvveee to use my Ps3 again but its the morals of it. Im not paying for their mistake. They are in no position to be doing this crap either. They are in last place in the console wars so they treat their customers like **** No thanks, i'll be sitting playing my PS2 and my old games until they decide to show the customers fairness. 60 GB PS3's should have read on the box, will die shortly after one year, add on another 200$ and then I wouldn't be complaining.
Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

I find it hard to see what you mean by taking care of your system... You mean by what?? I didn't shelter it in a corner to where it would overheat or spill crap on it. I simply used it maybe a few hours every few days to play blu-rays and movies... If this isn't how the PS3 is supposed to be used then please tell me howwwww.Sigleaf

First off sorry about your lose... When people say take care of your stuff, they pretty much mean don't leave it in a confined area with a bunch of other stuff causing it to choke (No air flow). Other then that don't leave it on the floor, blow out dust and what not every few weeks or days... Make sure the room temperature is nice and cool. Shut it down through the main menu and (take out disc) if you want; I didn't, but whatever... Other then that you should be good.

You said the problem is "disc error" if im correct. One of my brothers buddies had this problem and Yes of course he paid and they shipped it back with in a week (Same system). My problem was the "YLOD" or some **** that I guess causes it to over heat.

You were the unfortunate one dude sorry... My baby should be coming back home in the next couple of days I hope. The service was great and they sent me a box which had a plastic bag and foam to place it in nice and snug. Again sorry about your lose.

Sigleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sigleaf

Just wanted to give an update on my situation. Me being so furious with sony I refused to send it in, I instead was busy with school and stopped playing the PS3 all together. Well just the other day I figured why not, i popped a blu-ray movie in and it worked. I was shocked, tried my other discs, and now it works prefectly fine again. Do NOT ever send your PS3 into sony. Im sure they have some money game going on with its customers to try and rake in more cash!

thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 thekey
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
[QUOTE="Amster_G"]Well, like Sk8ter said, that's your loss. You can get it fixed or you don't get it fixed. Up to you. Yeah, it costs money but what doesn't? Sure, MS does it for free but that's because they know their system is unstable, technically. We don't really need to hear a story about a guy who doesn't want to pay money for a repair.Sepewrath
Yeah his point is that Sony just wont admit that their system is unstable like MS has, my system has a similar problem. They do have awful customer service and they are too arrogant to admit that they release screwed up hardware and should take responsibility for it. The only reason I am paying to have it repaired is because the large number of games I have, selling off the games would result in a far greater financial loss than the repair fee. You cant blame the guy for being upset that Sony put out crap and then basically say that there hardware shortcomings are the consumers fault. Hell mine started to fall apart less than 3 weeks after the warranty expired, do you know how pissed off I was and still am to be honest. And before someone else says well you cant take care of your stuff, my 20 year old working NES says hi, while my 13 month old PS3 needs to go back to Sony.

True same here. I take very good care of my consoles. My Sega saturn and nes still work properly. I'm on my 2nd PS3.(The PS2 disc wouldn't eject). That was 2 years ago, my 2nd one I have had no issues except I can't change the Hard drive due to the fact that I stripped the screws. But took very good care of my 360 also, but It RRODed 2wice in less than a year. (Sure it was sent and repaired for "free") but it was a headache. And M$ knows the $box 3fixme is no good thats why their $1billion charge off policy covers the RROD and now E74. Sony's customer service is some of the worst I have ever dealt with. But I feel the PS3 is still a better built machine, and that M$ has the money to get off screwing there customers, where as sony doesn't. I know one thing if my 60GB PS3 breaks and I have to pay for it, THEY HAD BETTER FIX OR REPLACE IT IN THE SAME WORKING ORDER!.(Meaning they better not give that 160GB, or 80GB model as a replacement.)
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Sweet....another thread with unhappy whiners. I love it.
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

EDIT:The TC does have a point though. Sony CS sucks straight up it really does. I wanted to buy a new PS3 and i did once my 60GB stopped reading PS3 games-everything else worked fine except games. So i went out and bought a 80GB. Prior to doing so i asked if they would fix my old one for free if i went and bought a new one. I think thats the least they could do. But nope, nothing. I plan on getting the 60GB fixed but I am in no rush. I wish they would work harder to satisfy their customers.

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

I've had my 60 GB since launch and have never had a problem. I keep it in a nice open wire rack with plenty of air flow. I dust my entertainment center and all my components several times a week. I never play my PS3 for more than a few hours in one sitting and I always turn it off when not in use. I've never had an issue mostly because Sony makes a great product and the fact that I take very good care of it. Microsoft is a different story. I take care of my 360 just the same as I do my PS3 and I've been through 4 of them. Every single electronic company charges to repair their components after the warranty has run out. So I don't see what you're whining about. The only reason Sony doesn't cover their systems failures as long as Microsoft is because their failures aren't as widespread as the 360's are. God we live in such a whiny society these days.

Ghoul_et_OMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghoul_et_OMC
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

Just wanted to give an update on my situation. Me being so furious with sony I refused to send it in, I instead was busy with school and stopped playing the PS3 all together. Well just the other day I figured why not, i popped a blu-ray movie in and it worked. I was shocked, tried my other discs, and now it works prefectly fine again. Do NOT ever send your PS3 into sony. Im sure they have some money game going on with its customers to try and rake in more cash!

Sigleaf
Good to hear it worked...you saved your ass $150 lol...well I got mine repaired at a third party for $100, works fine now...but it was still $100 T_T
ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
Yeah, mine is going haywire... I guess my hard drive is corrupt. I never turn it off from the back until it's done from the front, and yet it freezes a lot. When it does, and I turn it back on, I get no menu. It just starts up (music and everything) and there's no freakin menus. I set everything to crappy setting and after a while it'll read my currupt hard drive to just tell me "Restoring... do not turn off the system". Takes an hour or so for the thing to work again... then after another hour or more, the process begins again. I called Sony and they told me it'll be $150... yeah right!! This will be the second time I pay, and my warranty expired a month ago. I'll just get a new hard drive I suppose. They won't see money from me again... well, at least not for my PS3 stuff :PUnknown15
This happened to me once. I was petrified of what would happen with my dear ps3
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
Blu-ray drives dying is not so uncommon as one might think. I have two cousins that had their PS3s unable to play disks, but luckily they were under warranty so they got new replacements. I know quite a few more people that had the same problem. This problem is growing and Sony should do something about it. They should extend the warranty like MS did for the RROD.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

Scianix-Black
this.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

here's the problem TC

With EVERY manufacturing process, there will be flaws. How do ylu think you were born? Flaw in a condom. Did your parents just leave you in a dunmpster because the condom was defective? No.

Suck it up, this stuff happens. You just happened to be one of the unlucky few. I have a 60 gig going strong from launch. And I put it under extensive use.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

it's amazing how some people say " stop whining " and/or " you should've taken better care of it", i bought my 60gb in sept 07 and so far the blu ray drive stopped working 2 weeks after sonys warranty expired and on april 1st of this year ( no joking ) the audio/video died out , i've taken good care of it and everything but i still had these problems, good thing for me that i bought an extended warranty for $28 (it's now april 30 , they received my ps3 on april 20th and i was told yesterday that it would take 14 business days to repair it, so who would be happy about that part? ), but anyways i find it f'd up when some people act like there's nothing wrong until it happens to them, i understand there's a failure rate with all electronics.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Scianix-Black

So True,When I Heard Of This Problem I Said The Same thing People Gotta Learn To Take Care Of Their Things.

thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 thekey
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

Sigleaf
All you have to do is call sony customer service and they send you a new Hard drive caddy with the screws FREE! They did it for me. And take the stripped screws out with computer repare plyers.
Haze-and-Ses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Haze-and-Ses
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
[QUOTE="Ghoul_et_OMC"][QUOTE="Sigleaf"]

Good to hear it worked...you saved your ass $150 lol...well I got mine repaired at a third party for $100, works fine now...but it was still $100 T_T

I think the same thing! ATTENTION PPL WITH BLU RAY ERRORS I got mine diagnosed but not repaired because I didn't have all the money yet but anyways the guy tried new lasers and everything and it still wouldn't work. He told me it was a problem with the chip in the blu ray drive and he didn't have the tools to fix it because they have special encryptions exclusive to every ps3 system that could only be fixed by sony, by the way they're charging me 190.97 for repair and I got the system new for $400, seems like a rip off to me. Total BS Sony has the worst customer service. I can't get a 360 because I don't like the games but atleast they have a good warranty with good customer service. Who really cares about failure rates when you got good customer service?
Haze-and-Ses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Haze-and-Ses
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

So True,When I Heard Of This Problem I Said The Same thing People Gotta Learn To Take Care Of Their Things.

What a stupid comment, it's not always the customers fault. My ps3 was in a well ventilated area ad conveniently on the 14th month it stops reading discs. No physical damage done to my ps3 as a matter of fact I haven't even touched the system physically in days.