Anonymous targets Sony

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]FYI - You can jailbreak your iPhone and get basically every app for free.mattamomo

can i just say and end this iphone thing

you can jailbreak it, but that is all you can do legally

if you download apps, then you have broken the law, you have stole a companys game and not paid the price

just because you jailbreak it, it does not makes stealing any better

(bit off topic but hey)

Totally agree. I don't have an iPhone (my phone is a pre-paid net10 cell phone that looks like a first generation cell phone) and definitely don't support piracy. Just throwing it out there that jailbreaking has apparently been ok'd by federal courts when it (can) directly lead to piracy.
mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

[QUOTE="mattamomo"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]FYI - You can jailbreak your iPhone and get basically every app for free.MethodManFTW

can i just say and end this iphone thing

you can jailbreak it, but that is all you can do legally

if you download apps, then you have broken the law, you have stole a companys game and not paid the price

just because you jailbreak it, it does not makes stealing any better

(bit off topic but hey)

Totally agree. I don't have an iPhone (my phone is a pre-paid net10 cell phone that looks like a first generation cell phone) and definitely don't support piracy. Just throwing it out there that jailbreaking has apparently been ok'd by federal courts when it (can) directly lead to piracy.

i had an iphone and refused to jailbreak it, it is ok, but you cant do anything legal on it once its jailbroken

your taking away money from your favourite game producers and come on, 59p to £5 is not that much money to spend on a game

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Good-LAWD, you two!!!

Ya see, folks? This is what I'm on about with my wall of text on the previous page!!!

:lol:

And i have never felt like a dev didn't earn their money when the game is good. I ENJOY paying for a great game because I know I'm supporting a talent (and their families). $1 or $5 for a good app is cheap, by me. Even $60 is just, when the game makes you feel good.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 MethodManFTW

Good-LAWD, you two!!!

Ya see, folks? This is what I'm on about with my wall of text on the previous page!!!

MonkeySpot
Are you referring to me and the Matt? If so, what do you mean? We are agreeing. :O
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Good-LAWD, you two!!!

MethodManFTW

Are you referring to me and the Matt? If so, what do you mean? We are agreeing. :O

No no... I get it. ANd the discussion is cool. But talking about breaking into a phone, and apps become "free"... it just seemed a bit ironic. Made me laugh, in a good way.

:D

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
So is this "attack" still going on? I got a spec race tomorrow night in GT5 and don't want it interrupted.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MonkeySpot

I apologize to all here if I took your words out of context. Being angry over evolution of a product, and feeling victimized by a bait & switch is all well and good, no company should be allowed to dupe their customer base. But hear me out.

Can anyone tell me what they would mod their PS3 to do, taking all grey-area and out-right illegal uses out of the question and off the table? What would you use the PS3 for, once modded? What would you run on it, what use would it have, what technological need it would fulfill that you can't find with the computer in front of you right now? Would you wire your thermastat to it for HVAC control? Run a home alarm system? Network cook books for your kitchen? I'm not trying to be flipant - I'm curious, because outside of running copied software or cheating the system, I've never heard anyone come up with a legitimate use. It seems to me, as if lots of folks are standing behind the premise of being horn-swaggled by promises the company had no intention of keeping, which is convenient righteousness to drape their real desires in, so as to seem on the side of what's right even though what they'll actually use it for is entirely different behind closed doors.

I honestly would like to hear uses for OtherOS or a modded console from someone who wanted to use it, and what for. What use a modded PS3 would be, if not for some sort of nefarious purpose. I think if you can make a solid argument for it, I would support your position, whole-heartedly. This reminds me, in ways, of the debate over legalizing marijuana... Yes, it has legitimate medical use and provides comfort to people in dire need. But that's not the focus for 90% of the people who fight for the law to be changed, and everyone knows it. Prohibition was a miserable failure, enacted by a minority to try and impose their personal beliefs and values on an entire nation. Certainly, it was doomed to fail from the start because humans (heck, ALL animals) have shown the desire for intoxicants, to relax, to relieve pain, and to engage in social discourse or activity. Shutting down legitimate avenues for the distribution of liquor created a new strata of criminal, and it killed or otherwise greatly harmed quite a few people from bathtub gin and the like. We see the same thing happening with pot, where people who would normally smoke weed turn to other far more harmful substances as a replacement...

... But most of the people who have medical marijuana cards aren't sick from anything but perceived oppression from the authorities.

It was asked here in this thread whether I believed that every modded console was for stealing or cheating. No, I don't believe that everyone is a crook, but the vast majority of users would, indeed, given the tools, use them for ill-gotten gains. None of us on this forum are naive, or snow-white innocent. We know what MOST people would use it for. Not all, but MOST. Kazaa and Napster weren't invented to bring the music and film industry of the wolrd crashing down around artists and label's ankles, but let's be honest - Not many people traded home movies or other personally created stuff through file-sharing sites and programs. Yes, it can be used in such a way, but the majority of the Internet didn't hold themselves to that line. They crossed it. In bigger, and more damaging ways than anyone ever expected back in 1988 when the first MP3 was sent across the net (yes, it's been going on that long).

So I ask all of you ("you" meaning the group assembled, not one person inparticular), What would you do with your modded console? If the answer is "I'd use it to finally beat the boss on (Single-Player Only Game Here), and i would never cross the line and use it for illegal purposes" then that's a hard thing to prove as fact and once you have the tech in your paws, even harder to verify. None of us know you as you know yourself, and I would no more trust another human being to walk the straight-and-narrow than they would feel like trusting me, based on a verbal promise. That's how you end up buying swamp land or the Brooklyn Bridge nine times out of ten in this day & age.

I am completely open to discussion, but please don't ask me to trust your moral compass because you say it points true, and that that should be reason enough. Because no offense, but it just isn't.

The phone analogy doesn't hold water, because though the owner who posted that comment isn't using the phone to upset any apple carts, if Apple found out you were using it to grab stuff off iTunes without paying for it (as lots of people would do if they had a phone that would do it), or T-Mobile found out you had modded the phone to skip the minute counter, etc. you would be in violation of the terms of service - stealing, and that's what the majority of users would do with a modded console. Perhaps not one person in this thread would do it, but you know someone who would. We ALL do.

Can anyone turn me on to what I'm missing out on with these features removed, and not being able to mod my gear? I ask in all seriousness. Enlighten me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Peace and Respect to you all.

:)

MonkeySpot

Anyone care to respond to my question, above? I'm still waiting (and I don't mean that to sound snotty or snyde). I have posed this question before on GameSpot and other game forums and I have yet to see anyone even respond, let alone explain. It seems like the answer is...

... elusive. Even to those who claim they're put off by the above features being whisked away.

Anyone?

:?

mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

I apologize to all here if I took your words out of context. Being angry over evolution of a product, and feeling victimized by a bait & switch is all well and good, no company should be allowed to dupe their customer base. But hear me out.

Can anyone tell me what they would mod their PS3 to do, taking all grey-area and out-right illegal uses out of the question and off the table? What would you use the PS3 for, once modded? What would you run on it, what use would it have, what technological need it would fulfill that you can't find with the computer in front of you right now? Would you wire your thermastat to it for HVAC control? Run a home alarm system? Network cook books for your kitchen? I'm not trying to be flipant - I'm curious, because outside of running copied software or cheating the system, I've never heard anyone come up with a legitimate use. It seems to me, as if lots of folks are standing behind the premise of being horn-swaggled by promises the company had no intention of keeping, which is convenient righteousness to drape their real desires in, so as to seem on the side of what's right even though what they'll actually use it for is entirely different behind closed doors.

I honestly would like to hear uses for OtherOS or a modded console from someone who wanted to use it, and what for. What use a modded PS3 would be, if not for some sort of nefarious purpose. I think if you can make a solid argument for it, I would support your position, whole-heartedly. This reminds me, in ways, of the debate over legalizing marijuana... Yes, it has legitimate medical use and provides comfort to people in dire need. But that's not the focus for 90% of the people who fight for the law to be changed, and everyone knows it. Prohibition was a miserable failure, enacted by a minority to try and impose their personal beliefs and values on an entire nation. Certainly, it was doomed to fail from the start because humans (heck, ALL animals) have shown the desire for intoxicants, to relax, to relieve pain, and to engage in social discourse or activity. Shutting down legitimate avenues for the distribution of liquor created a new strata of criminal, and it killed or otherwise greatly harmed quite a few people from bathtub gin and the like. We see the same thing happening with pot, where people who would normally smoke weed turn to other far more harmful substances as a replacement...

... But most of the people who have medical marijuana cards aren't sick from anything but perceived oppression from the authorities.

It was asked here in this thread whether I believed that every modded console was for stealing or cheating. No, I don't believe that everyone is a crook, but the vast majority of users would, indeed, given the tools, use them for ill-gotten gains. None of us on this forum are naive, or snow-white innocent. We know what MOST people would use it for. Not all, but MOST. Kazaa and Napster weren't invented to bring the music and film industry of the wolrd crashing down around artists and label's ankles, but let's be honest - Not many people traded home movies or other personally created stuff through file-sharing sites and programs. Yes, it can be used in such a way, but the majority of the Internet didn't hold themselves to that line. They crossed it. In bigger, and more damaging ways than anyone ever expected back in 1988 when the first MP3 was sent across the net (yes, it's been going on that long).

So I ask all of you ("you" meaning the group assembled, not one person inparticular), What would you do with your modded console? If the answer is "I'd use it to finally beat the boss on (Single-Player Only Game Here), and i would never cross the line and use it for illegal purposes" then that's a hard thing to prove as fact and once you have the tech in your paws, even harder to verify. None of us know you as you know yourself, and I would no more trust another human being to walk the straight-and-narrow than they would feel like trusting me, based on a verbal promise. That's how you end up buying swamp land or the Brooklyn Bridge nine times out of ten in this day & age.

I am completely open to discussion, but please don't ask me to trust your moral compass because you say it points true, and that that should be reason enough. Because no offense, but it just isn't.

The phone analogy doesn't hold water, because though the owner who posted that comment isn't using the phone to upset any apple carts, if Apple found out you were using it to grab stuff off iTunes without paying for it (as lots of people would do if they had a phone that would do it), or T-Mobile found out you had modded the phone to skip the minute counter, etc. you would be in violation of the terms of service - stealing, and that's what the majority of users would do with a modded console. Perhaps not one person in this thread would do it, but you know someone who would. We ALL do.

Can anyone turn me on to what I'm missing out on with these features removed, and not being able to mod my gear? I ask in all seriousness. Enlighten me, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Peace and Respect to you all.

MonkeySpot

Anyone care to respond to my question, above? I'm still waiting (and I don't mean that to sound snotty or snyde). I have posed this question before on GameSpot and other game forums and I have yet to see anyone even respond, let alone explain. It seems like the answer is...

... elusive. Even to those who claim they're put off by the above features being whisked away.

Anyone?

thats one hella long question

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
yeah...sorry not reading that. Can anyone answer my question though? It was a one liner.

So is this "attack" still going on?

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#110 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Sony might want to reconsider their actions.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

Anyone?

MonkeySpot

well for starters i would like other OS back as it would be nice to know that if i needed to install an OS on it, i could. also the idea of open development, for people who want to make things for it other than the pirating/hacking community. theres tons of android games & apps that are free, good and don't infringe on anyones rights.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Anyone?

z4twenny

well for starters i would like other OS back as it would be nice to know that if i needed to install an OS on it, i could. also the idea of open development, for people who want to make things for it other than the pirating/hacking community. theres tons of android games & apps that are free, good and don't infringe on anyones rights.

Are you a programmer? Could you make stuff yourself?

I'm hip to the Android concept, and I can see your point. It's a good one, for sure, and it's the first time anyone has answered the question with any sort of response... So you get a Gold Star for the day, 'twenty. But what would the benefit be of running it on your PS3 as apposed to a PC? Is the attraction coming from an integrated gamepad (controller, which most phones fail at), or would it be the new-market territory (because the phone app market is so saturated, your program would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond?)

I want to stress that I am asking a question and not trying to debate, I agree with the concept... And I'm interested in your viewpoint. Because if I've learned anything in my forty-plus years on the planet, it's that I don't know everything... And I'm always up for learning as apposed to closing my mind to possibilities.

Thank you, 'twenty! And I'm glad I haven't ticked you off to the point of telling me to shove it and just walking away. Cuppa coffee on me one day, m'friend (if you don't mind me calling you that).

Does anyone else have ideas, or something more detailed in concept? I think this is a great topic for all of us to learn from. And perhaps you'll find me on your side. If you'd have me, that is...

And to folks who are daunted by a Wall o' Text, I really wish you would read itbecause you may well have an important view the rest of us could benefit from if you'd take a minute to peruse it, and join the discussion. I would appreciate it.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

CheekyIchi

Yes, because a bunch of idiots revealing to the world that a Sony official is married and drives a car is putting the entire corporation at serious risk. lmao

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#114 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

[QUOTE="CheekyIchi"]

MrSelf-Destruct

Yes, because a bunch of idiots revealing to the world that a Sony official is married and drives a car is putting the entire corporation at serious risk. lmao

Next we might find out what time that guy takes a s*** every day.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

[QUOTE="CheekyIchi"]

Flame_Blade88

I'm guessing its just before he wipes his butt with their money. :lol:

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Flame_Blade88

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] Yes, because a bunch of idiots revealing to the world that a Sony official is married and drives a car is putting the entire corporation at serious risk. lmao

MrSelf-Destruct

Kids get their report cards leaked too :lol:
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"] Next we might find out what time that guy takes a s*** every day.Flame_Blade88

Are you serious? Yeah, that'll show 'em. Good job, Anon. Show the world how much smarter a Sony reps kids are than the lot of you. "Look at this idiot getting As and stuff! I bet he's in the Beta Club! Hahahaha! Sony FAILS!" :P

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Flame_Blade88

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] I'm guessing its just before he wipes his butt with their money. :lol:

MrSelf-Destruct

Are you serious? Yeah, that'll show 'em. Good job, Anon. Show the world how much smarter a Sony reps kids are than the lot of you. "Look at this idiot getting As and stuff! I bet he's in the Beta Club! Hahahaha! Sony FAILS!" :P

Oh no no no, I was joking :lol: I really do not think they care about that stuff.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"] Kids get their report cards leaked too :lol:Flame_Blade88

Oh no no no, I was joking :lol: I really do not think they care about that stuff.

Oh ok. :P Some of the stuff they've dug up and posted was about that trivial, though. Marital status? Really? WTF would they even bother? lol

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#120 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

Well, it seems Sony is enlisting help to fight them. Take a look And really these attacks have to stop, they are going to do anything, and really, Jailbreaking is violting things, they broke the law, face the price. Don't fight them. Although, what someone said on another site "Ironic, how Anontmous is all about getting truth about people, and showing them for there true colors, and yet, Anonymous hides behind a mask not saying who they are"

Joker1232003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Joker1232003
Member since 2003 • 1567 Posts

you can check out the anon chat on there Open IRC channel. They seem to be using LOIC to bomb out alot of Sony websites & Although no members broadcast or mention an attack on PSN. The UK PSN has been messing up all night

Take a look

http://irc.lc/AnonOps/Opsony

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

All controversy aside, I think these guys are kind of awesome. As a, *ahem*, programmer myself, I can sort of relate to the guys.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 MrSelf-Destruct

All controversy aside, I think these guys are kind of awesome. As a, *ahem*, programmer myself, I can sort of relate to the guys.

destinhpark

The lot of these guys aren't *ahem" programmers, though. Most of them are just spammers and trolls. A few of them come up with a way to hurt somebody and the rest of them fall in line posting information, spamming websites, trolling youtube videos, and making nasty phone calls like a bunch of mindless drones who can't think or act by themselves. They aren't standing up for anything. They are just conforming to a different system. I think its pretty pathetic.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 MethodManFTW
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/06/the-worst-is-yet-to-come-anonymous-talks-to-playstation-lifestyle/ Anon does an interview with Playstation lifestyle... Some interesting threats..
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#125 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

[QUOTE="destinhpark"]

MrSelf-Destruct

The lot of these guys aren't *ahem" programmers, though. Most of them are just spammers and trolls. A few of them come up with a way to hurt somebody and the rest of them fall in line posting information, spamming websites, trolling youtube videos, and making nasty phone calls like a bunch of mindless drones who can't think or act by themselves. They aren't standing up for anything. They are just conforming to a different system. I think its pretty pathetic.

I don't think it's pathetic at all. Look at what we're doing right now. We're talking about them. As are a ton of other internet communities. News sources are reporting their actions and they're garnering attention as well as support. You can insult them all you want, but they've succeeded, at least in part, by creating a buzz around their actions. They are a known threat and are being acknowledged. So whatever the issues are or whomever you're siding with is irrelevant. They're doing what they set out to do and I think it's pretty impressive from that standpoint. If I launched some sort of anti-Sony attack you certainly wouldn't hear about it and I wouldn't have much of an effect.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MrSelf-Destruct

"The consumers in this are as one might call, collateral damage" said Takai, after being confronted, "we are very cognisant of the fact that we are not making friends nor allies among the average consumer with our attack. This is unfortunate as a concern should always be, will the very people we seek to support not see what it is we are trying to achieve. In this case, many don't. There has been a lot of hate spread throughout the internet and over forums that we are being reckless and simply punishing consumers more than Sony."

Um... The problem is that if they achieve what they are hoping to achieve they are still only going to hurt the average consumer and will not be supporting them. Please, Anon, don't try to help the average consumer. The average consumer doesn't want your help and certainly doesn't want to have to go through the BS its going to take for you to get your way.

e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

Can anyone log into PSN because I can't and I have a great wifi connection.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MethodManFTW

e_stone001
Yeah I haven't had any issues signing for the 48 hours or so.
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

Anyone?

MonkeySpot

Well I didn't read that whole thing, but from what I did it seems what you're asking is what are the benifits of hacking (illegals issues aside), right?

Well even though the PS3 hasn't been hacked for long there are a bunch of projects already started, heres just one I found:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/xbox-kinect-on-ps3-is-kevin-butlers-worst-nightmare-come-true/

there have also been emulators put on it and getting Other OS is in the works I believe.

But if you look at previous things that have been hacked for a while you can see all the cool things that lone programmers can do:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/15/kinect-homemade-power-gloves-3d-modeling-in-free-space-vide/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/university-of-washington-students-hack-kinect-to-aid-in-robotic/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/diy-3d-volumetric-display-kinect-hack-spices-up-the-fortress-o/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/kinect-projector-augmented-reality-fireballs-video/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/magic-mirror-kinect-hack-puts-an-x-ray-spin-on-augmented-reality/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/kinect-hack-turns-you-into-a-punching-waving-midi-controller/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/21/kinect-paired-with-vuzix-vr920-shades-creates-zany-virtual-real/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/20/two-kinects-join-forces-to-make-3d-telepresence-enable-virtual/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/19/kinect-and-haptics-combine-at-the-university-of-washington-to-le/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/14/kinect-hack-lets-you-reenact-big-piano-scene-video/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/kinect-gets-own-set-of-wheels-drives-a-car-nothing-can-stop-it/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/kinect-finally-fulfills-its-minority-report-destiny-video/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/kinect-used-as-a-quadrocopter-radar-video/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/02/kinect-now-offers-a-stealth-mode-courtesy-of-optical-camouflage/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/28/kinect-used-to-control-super-mario-on-a-pc-redefine-convergence/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/25/kinect-hack-lets-you-control-a-web-browser-using-only-the-force/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/17/kinect-data-massaged-into-retro-futuristic-box-cloud-ipad-til/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/hacked-kinect-taught-to-work-as-multitouch-interface/

I'm sure there's much more, but I those are just ones I found searching kinect hack on engadget. There are also a ton of things you can get for a jailbroken ipod/iphone too, like connecting and controlling it with a wiimote, playing on emulators (and no emulators aren't illegal, just most of the people who use them illegaly download the games instead of buying them), playing older computer games, changing the theme, installing adroid, installing different media players (more codecs), etc.

Anyway, with a powerful device like the PS3 you can only imagine what hackers could create on it.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="destinhpark"]

frostybanana

I don't think it's pathetic at all. Look at what we're doing right now. We're talking about them. As are a ton of other internet communities. News sources are reporting their actions and they're garnering attention as well as support. You can insult them all you want, but they've succeeded, at least in part, by creating a buzz around their actions. They are a known threat and are being acknowledged. So whatever the issues are or whomever you're siding with is irrelevant. They're doing what they set out to do and I think it's pretty impressive from that standpoint. If I launched some sort of anti-Sony attack you certainly wouldn't hear about it and I wouldn't have much of an effect.

Yeah, its pretty awesome that they annoy the hell out of people to get their way. My five year old does that everyday. I agree that it is something to be commended that they can band together like that and do what they set out to do, but there are better ways of getting things done. Hiding in the shadows and doing random things to irk people isn't awesome. Its stupid. And its not going to change anything.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 frostybanana
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/06/the-worst-is-yet-to-come-anonymous-talks-to-playstation-lifestyle/ Anon does an interview with Playstation lifestyle... Some interesting threats.. MethodManFTW
That was a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] The lot of these guys aren't *ahem" programmers, though. Most of them are just spammers and trolls. A few of them come up with a way to hurt somebody and the rest of them fall in line posting information, spamming websites, trolling youtube videos, and making nasty phone calls like a bunch of mindless drones who can't think or act by themselves. They aren't standing up for anything. They are just conforming to a different system. I think its pretty pathetic.

MrSelf-Destruct

Yeah, its pretty awesome that they annoy the hell out of people to get their way. My five year old does that everyday. I agree that it is something to be commended that they can band together like that and do what they set out to do, but there are better ways of getting things done. Hiding in the shadows and doing random things to irk people isn't awesome. Its stupid. And its not going to change anything.

I never said it awesome and I never condoned their actions. But I also know they deserve credit for being able to do what they do. Impressive is the word I chose to use and I think it fits the bill nicely. What they've managed to do is very impressive.
patrickphan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 patrickphan2
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
I can't believe I read most of the posts in here. As long as PSN works fine, I'll be happy. Keep debating!
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="frostybanana"] I don't think it's pathetic at all. Look at what we're doing right now. We're talking about them. As are a ton of other internet communities. News sources are reporting their actions and they're garnering attention as well as support. You can insult them all you want, but they've succeeded, at least in part, by creating a buzz around their actions. They are a known threat and are being acknowledged. So whatever the issues are or whomever you're siding with is irrelevant. They're doing what they set out to do and I think it's pretty impressive from that standpoint. If I launched some sort of anti-Sony attack you certainly wouldn't hear about it and I wouldn't have much of an effect. frostybanana

I never said it awesome and I never condoned their actions. But I also know they deserve credit for being able to do what they do. Impressive is the word I chose to use and I think it fits the bill nicely. What they've managed to do is very impressive.

Yeah, I know you didn't say they were awesome, but the guy I originally responded to did and that's why I responded in the first place. I do agree that from a certain standpoint the fact that they can get these things done is impressive. However, most of what they do is trivial and pointless in the grand scheme of things. To me it seems silly to even bother. Just saying.

punish09087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 punish09087
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Why do we have to suffer too -_-
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Why do we have to suffer too -_-punish09087
Cause they don't give a damn about us like the Republicans don't give a damn about their country!
e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts
[QUOTE="e_stone001"]

MethodManFTW
Yeah I haven't had any issues signing for the 48 hours or so.

I'm on right now. Seems that I had to manually sign in instead of it singing in automatically, but I'm online.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#138 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I've been trying to configure my account information on PSN all evening. With a lot of toruble, because the site is acting up all night in the UK..

Their hacking is wasting my time. And no one has a right to waste anyones time without a good reason. Basically these guys are not my frineds, they're my enemies. If they're prepared to waste hours or even minutes of my life. Then I don't like them, they can go blow.

If they want to attack Sony they should find a way to do it without wasting innocent consumers time in the process. Otherwise thy're not doing these cyber attacks for the "greater good". They're simply doing it because they need a reason to cyber attack something, so they can get their kicks. Those with power always want to use it.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#139 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
the sad thing about this is that really this isn't hurting sony but there it is hurting the users but anonymous is to stupid to realize that
Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 Mafty
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
sorry havent read 7 pages.....but are they threating to hack the online network and shut it down?
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

the sad thing about this is that really this isn't hurting sony but there it is hurting the users but anonymous is to stupid to realize thatelbert_b_23

This.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 MonkeySpot

I am all for creative people developing new content, expressing themselves, and finding new uses for tech. But Anon isn't doing this to open a door, they're doing this to be obnoxious, and because they can. Calling them "impressive"... well... Let's take a look at that word...

McCarthyism? Impressive.

Nazi Germany? Impressive.

Stalinist Russia? Impressive.

Iran-Contra? Impressive.

9-11? Impressive.

All of these events were amazing mobilizations of thought and deed. The efficiency and "success" boggles the mind. Lots of things, when viewed without a trace of morality, can be described by that word. But the fact is, when innocents are harmed they are still monstrous and unconscionable, and in no way excusable by any stretch of the imagination.

Please read the above sentences again, because I don't want anyone getting in my face and saying what these guys are doing is nothing like what happened in Germany or Russia or NYC.

I'M WELL AWARE OF THAT FACT.

I would never trivialize anything I have listed above. I'm pointing out that being "impressed" by these actions is perhaps not what you meant to say. I'm not "impressed" by these murderous, horrible events I listed above because they effected my life directly. I lost family to the Nazi regime, and I lost six close friends on the NYFD when a building fell on them and drove them and the Hook & Ladder engine they were in seven floors into the ground, not to be found for months and when they did, it was only parts. Not even enough to bury, of some.

Hacking a PS3 doesn't take a life (yet), but the truth is that a PS3 has a powerful enough processor that it could be used for something as atrocious as guiding an ICBM. We're not talking about that (yet), but what we are discussing here, is a rebel faction which will not free us but bring further sanctions and invasive control into our gaming lives, and perhaps further. They need your support but when the dust settles, you can bet dolloars to donuts you won't have theirs. By stirring this hornet nest for no good reason past perceived consumer fraud, they will increase Big Brother's hold, just as the 9-11 attack succeeded in hampering and out-right destroying any freedoms the American people still had with the Patriot Act. Bush and his reprobates swiftly used that disaster to gain a footing in further control and invasion of the common US citizen's life. So now, in order to fly on a plane you have to go through "personal inspections", being touched in places reserved for a lover, and even "low" amounts of radiation administered to your body so that a stranger can see your wife or daughter's naked body in startling detail. Security cameras watch your every move. Dogs sniff your luggage. Police are allowed new liberties for temporary "check stations" and spot-inspections to investigate your business in a given neighborhood without showing just cause... All they need is suspicion, which they already have in truck-loads. The terror attacks gave them this power, they wear it as a flipping badge of honor and they screw with people openly and without justification falling back on 9-11 to excuse their own criminal behaviour and snooping.

This doesn't bother the terrorist groups of the world one little bit. THEY aren't getting stripped, THEY aren't getting bombarded with radiation. And THEIR governing body isn't crushing down on them whilst calling it "protecting freedom".

Sony will take this attack and put a yellow ribbon on it, and hold it up as reason to hike prices, cut services, and generally muck the whole thing up for the consumer, calling it "protection". They'll take your rights away, and hand you **** calling it Chocolate.

We, the average consumer, are the ones who will pay for this fracas. Not the hackers. We're the ones who will have DRM to deal with, and inspections of our hard drives without our knowledge, and on and on... These hackers are giving Sony exactly what they need: A Boogie Man to point the finger at.

"Impressive" or not, these people are not your friends, they're extremely talented, bored, and starved for attention. They're hanging you out to dry, calling you and me "collateral damage" like they're in an action film... Treating it like a Holy War, when in reality, a lot of us don't WANT to be "saved" from the Big-Bad called Sony. We don't fear a video game maker.

We know there are much, MUCH more insidious things out there in the world.

MUCH. WORSE.

Why not help us out with the new Stalins, Hitlers, George W.'s? Why not put that amazing intellect to work on something that matters? Because at the end of the day, video games and home electronics just aren't that important. Not when the US detains world citizens without Habeas Corpus. Not when genocide and decades of brutal warlord control threaten Africa's future, and rightful place at the table of Global Economics. Not when...

... not when PEOPLE are suffering, and dying, for **** sake.

Respect to you and your families, all.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#143 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

MonkeySpot, are you an English major by any chance? :P

I tend to lose motivation around the 3rd paragraph but you, man, something else.

I agree of course and honestly I think this whole idea/situation has be blown up to a scale of which it really doesn't deserve to be. Taking anonymous(I'm gonna stop capitalizing their name from now, until I feel they've earned it back)seriously, especially when their backing up someone like "GeoHot", is a joke in and of itself. Hiding behind freedom of speech/expression is a real wasted effort considering that those "rights" are threaten by other things going on, not this PS3 hacking and jailbreak crap. Pretentious douchebags posing as fighting for the people, give me a break.:roll:

And that's pretty much all the **** I can give about this topic anymore.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MonkeySpot

MonkeySpot, are you an English major by any chance? :P

I tend to lose motivation around the 3rd paragraph but you, man, something else.

anime_gamer007

*Deep Bow*

Thank you. I'm no thinker, simply a humble sound engineer with a typing hand that can drone on for hours (and I'm sorry, to those who bristle at seeing my name in a thread, knowing the King James Bible of text walls is coming to their discussion...)

I want the tools to be in the right hands, to create a better tomorrow - Or just a better "Angry Birds" - For all of us in the gaming community. The problem I see here is that this group (or individual who wants friends but has to make them up) is jumping the wrong hedge, and urinating in the wrong bowl of Wheaties. And sacrificing us as a community pawn in their game of "Hey Look What I Can Do".

An open system of development akin to Windows 7 or Android would be a wonderful thing, as some folks like 'twenty have pointed out... And I agree. But the seperate issue of these hackers attacking Sony, muddling with PSN UK (if the problem is indeed them, and not just a coincidental occurance) does nothing for you and me, it just gets their name in print and makes them into something they're SO not; Celebrity.

Paris Hilton at least had the courtesy to get naked in order to get anyone to pay her some attention...

... these guys won't even pony up their real NAMES.

I have new respect for Ms. Hilton, after watching the cowardly actions and reading the pumped-up pony-loaf words of these two-bit punks.

starboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 starboy11
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

they just struck again now there now tax on EVERYTHING in the psn store

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 elbert_b_23

they just struck again now there now tax on EVERYTHING in the psn store

starboy11
when i got my ps3 back in January this year everything was taxed and it pissed me off but then in feb i saw they took off the tax
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 MrSelf-Destruct

Just read this in the article on the front page:

"Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the update reads. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

"Anonymous is on your side, standing up for your rights," the message continues. "We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions. If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal."

It's nice to see that at least one of them has common sense. I still don't agree with what they are trying to do, but I am very much relieved to see them realize and acknowledge that their current methods weren't going to do anything but hurt the rest of us.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 elbert_b_23
Anonymous is full of s*** the only side they are on is hackers and cheaters i doubt that is what most gamers want to be
BakedDank420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 BakedDank420
Member since 2010 • 473 Posts

Hmm, since money controls EVERYTHING in this world, i have to wonder, which of the two has more money? Annonymous or Sony....hmm......Yeah, im not worried lol., if they even do some how "Get back" at Sony, Sony will just tear them a new....you know what.....

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

Just read this in the article on the front page:

"Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the update reads. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

"Anonymous is on your side, standing up for your rights," the message continues. "We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions. If we did inconvenience users, please know that this was not our goal."

It's nice to see that at least one of them has common sense. I still don't agree with what they are trying to do, but I am very much relieved to see them realize and acknowledge that their current methods weren't going to do anything but hurt the rest of us.

MrSelf-Destruct

I doubt it's possible to "attack" Sony without harming any of its constituents/stakeholders. Anon will end up hurting "innocents," even if it's to the slightest of degrees, regardless of what they do.

And even if their actions won't hurt those anon is "allegedly" fighting for directly, Sony will undoubtedly be forced to take certain "defensive measures" (PSN related or otherwise), which will only burden the consumers.

sigh...

I can't predict the future... but I simply can't imagine anything good coming from their self-serving BS, NOT-cleverly disguised as "retribution."